Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Commentator

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

CHealy wrote: »
    I really like Darragh Maloney, but he doesnt seem to be doing much commentary these days, has a great voice for it.

Agree, he's well suited to the job

Also a fan of Bill Leslie on Sky Sports. Doesn't get many PL games but usually pops up on Champions League weeks and definitely gets well into the closing weeks and play-offs in the Championship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Agree, he's well suited to the job

Also a fan of Bill Leslie on Sky Sports. Doesn't get many PL games but usually pops up on Champions League weeks and definitely gets well into the closing weeks and play-offs in the Championship

Is Bill Leslie the one who nearly always says, "Oh and a goal" after every goal :D

If he is the one I'm thinking about he is decent alright

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

BBC Radio 5 Live's Alan Green and Mike Imgham are great I think its a pity they never do TV commentary.

The lad that does the matches in Today FM isn't a bad commentator Ron Jones,he is a good man to listen to if your out and about on a Saturday afernoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Bit of a weird one but I always liked Steven Alkin on RTE, he'd get the lesser games of the Euros and World Cups and sometimes would just be commentating on his own. He managed to commentate and analyse the replays.

I can take commentators as they come and go, it's co-commentators that annoy me, though I find Davie Proven on Sky to be very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Martin Tyler, Jim Beglin, Alan Smith, Gary Neville.

I find George "Danger here" Hamilton to be fairly entertaining too....but Tyler would be my preferred commentator.

I like Niall Quinn as a pundit but he is truly, truly dreadful as a commentator and I usually groan aloud when Sky have him do it.

Ian Crocker is decent too, usually does Scottish football on Sky Sports! Think he did a bit of Championship too a while back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

kfallon wrote: »
    Ian Crocker is decent too, usually does Scottish football on Sky Sports! Think he did a bit of Championship too a while back!

I love Crocker. The near-helium pitch, the enthusiasm.

Hamilton has the highest peak but Mowbray's a bit more consistent in quality. Darren Fletcher on BT is pretty decent too too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Especially when he does the less glamourous WC matches and calls "sideline balls" the absolute muldoon.

And also the way he calls the pitch "the park". What a man.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

not exactly on topic, but Adrian Chiles is abysmal and has one of the most punchable faces in the world. I dare say more punchable then Tim Cahill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

razorblunt wrote: »
    Bit of a weird one but I always liked Steven Alkin on RTE, he'd get the lesser games of the Euros and World Cups and sometimes would just be commentating on his own. He managed to commentate and analyse the replays.

I can take commentators as they come and go, it's co-commentators that annoy me, though I find Davie Proven on Sky to be very good.

Funny I do too.

As well as George Hamilton and Darragh Molony.

Just as long as RTE keep Peter Collins away from games.

Remember the days of George Hamilton and Ray Tracey doing Ireland games,Ray wasn't bad in all fairness,

And then you had George Ham and John Giles for the 3pm game on Sports Stadium on a Saturday

Good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Trevor Welch.

/thread

How about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

razorblunt wrote: »

Agreed on this, he is actually quite good. Very knowledgeable about the game. He doesn't have a great voice for a commentator though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

spiralism wrote: »
    How about that.

That's good play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

jenno86 wrote: »
    Martin Tyler for me.

Love the way he loses it when a cracker is scored.

This!

Arshaviiiiiiiiiiin! (my personal fave)

Agueroooooo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I wish Peter Alliss commentated on football.

This!

Arshaviiiiiiiiiiin! (my personal fave)

Agueroooooo!

Who can forget the Steve Guppy commentary too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Brian Moore was the greatest imo. Today I think Clive Tyldesley is my favourite,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

kfallon wrote: »
    Is Bill Leslie the one who nearly always says, "Oh and a goal" after every goal :D

If he is the one I'm thinking about he is decent alright

This is him in action, one of his finest moments! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Alan Green BBC Five live.

+1 on that. Also Mike Ingham from BBC Five live as well.
    Neville is up there with the best Co-comms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Of course, as a Chelsea fan im biased, but this is epic commentary from Martin Tyler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

I'm in the minority maybe, but I'm not a huge fan of Martin Tyler. He seems like a nice bloke who clearly loves the game, but his commentary always seems unnatural to me. It's almost as if he's trying too hard to be memorable. Iconic, even.

I did like Brian Moore though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Michéal OMhuirceartaigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

BBC Radio 5 Live's Alan Green and Mike Imgham are great I think its a pity they never do TV commentary.

The lad that does the matches in Today FM isn't a bad commentator Ron Jones,he is a good man to listen to if your out and about on a Saturday afernoon.

I think Alan Green was better when he was less high profile.

After he started getting praise in the Papers and Online, his ego went through the roof. He started going on about how bad his hotel was and things like that during his commentaries, as if listeners tuned in just to hear how his day was going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

How are people over here getting access to BBC 5 live commentary!?! Always get this message I try to listen to the matches on a mobile device: "unfortunatly due to rights restriction we are unable to bring you this game" may not be the exact wording of it but bloody annoying whenever you want to listen to a mid-week match that's not on tv or radio over here. :mad:

uggybear wrote: »
    How are people over here getting access to BBC 5 live commentary!?! Always get this message I try to listen to the matches on a mobile device: "unfortunatly due to rights restriction we are unable to bring you this game" may not be the exact wording of it but bloody annoying whenever you want to listen to a mid-week match that's not on tv or radio over here. :mad:

Is there a red button option on the BBC,have the choice between the TV coverage or the BBC Radio 5 coverage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

uggybear wrote: »

Its not blocked in the radio channels off the satellite dish or if you are eastern half of the country you could get in it on medium wave. Being blocked by proxy is a pain alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Do you think commentators mute their own tvs when watching games at home, and just give it a blast themselves out of pure habit?

Can't imagine Martin Tyler watching a game at home without shouting and commenting away for every bit of action. His enthusiasm is so natural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Knex. wrote: »
    Do you think commentators mute their own tvs when watching games at home, and just give it a blast themselves out of pure habit?

Can't imagine Martin Tyler watching a game at home without shouting and commenting away for every bit of action. His enthusiasm is so natural.
    Most of the satellite commentators head to stations in the middle east and provide commentary for them. Bein Sport's in Quatar are using Richard Keys and Andy Gray

Closer to home I have to agree that the George Hamilton / Jim Beglin partnership is as iconic to Irish soccer fans as the Martin Tyler / Andy Gray partnership was to premiership fans. I really hope it's those two for the final. Perhaps we should start a social media campaign. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Has to be George Hamilton.
    “The midfield are like a chef………..trying to prise open a stubborn oyster to get at the fleshy meat inside.”

http://www.dangerhere.com/george-hamilton/

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Unsung Hero

Robbie Savage was terrible yesterday. That moment where he said the ref should of spotted a foul and before that Savage said it was a good tackle...

John Toshack would have a good co commentator for Iran - Nigeria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I am not sure if he does soccer.
    But Oisin Langan is a good commentator really gets into the game, yet does not do "shouty shouty" for the sake of it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I am not sure if he does soccer.
    But Oisin Langan is a good commentator really gets into the game, yet does not do "shouty shouty" for the sake of it.

Zombie thread.

*Hi Oisin *

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

John motson=football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

John motson=football

For his pronunciation of kinsella alone? :rolleyes:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I quite like Arlo White who works for NBC, low key sort, just gets on with the ball by ball stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Ossie Ardiles.

• Advertisement
Advertisement