Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Laptop has Xp and im using Ubuntu

Options
  • 10-04-2014 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

My Laptop has Xp and im using Ubuntu for internet i have partioned this,

in xp i have Avast,. Malaware pro, what i want to know is when i log into ubuntu and im on the internet etc should i have these items insatlled in Ubuntu ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Linux is safe,doesnt need any antivirus,

http://www.tecmint.com/open-source-security-firewalls-for-linux-systems/
    maybe install a firewall,

4. UFW – Uncomplicated Firewall
    UFW is the default firewall tool for Ubuntu servers, it is basically designed to lesser the complexity of the iptables firewall and makes it more user friendly. A Graphical user interface of ufw, GUFW is also available for Ubuntu and Debian users.
    Features of UFW
    Supports IPV6
    Extended Logging options with On/Off facility
    Status Monitoring
    Extensible Framework
    Can be Integrated with Applications
    Add/Remove/Modify Rules according to your needs.

https://launchpad.net/ufw

the quick answer is no,

Basic Usage ufw
    First, check if ufw is installed using following command.

GO TO MENU , click terminal,
    type the following commands,

$ sudo dpkg --get-selection | grep ufw

ufw install

press enter key on the keyboard .

If it’s not installed, you can install it using apt command as shown below.
    $ sudo apt-get install ufw

http://www.tecmint.com/how-to-install-and-configure-ufw-firewall/

linux has its own partition,

is not effected by any program on windows partition.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

To answer your question in a roundabout way, antivirus applications that you've installed on windows will not protect the Linux OS. For all intents and purposes, you can consider your dual boot machine as two separate computers.

The good news is that you don't really need antivirus software on a linux box. Though if you want to be careful/paranoid, you could always install ClamAV.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

faolteam wrote: »
    My Laptop has Xp and im using Ubuntu for internet i have partioned this,

in xp i have Avast,. Malaware pro, what i want to know is when i log into ubuntu and im on the internet etc should i have these items insatlled in Ubuntu ?

No, you dont need antivirus in Ubuntu but that doesnt mean you should stop being careful about what you download, or what email attachments you open.

Regarding the firewall, open a terminal in Ubuntu and type in "sudo ufw status verbose" (without the question marks). It will tell you whether your firewall is active or inactive. If its showing as Inactive, go back to your terminal and type in "sudo apt-get install gufw". Its a graphical program to manage your firewall. Once its installed, go to the Firewall Configuration program and set it to On. Job done.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

mike_ie wrote: »
    To answer your question in a roundabout way, antivirus applications that you've installed on windows will not protect the Linux OS. For all intents and purposes, you can consider your dual boot machine as two separate computers.

The good news is that you don't really need antivirus software on a linux box. Though if you want to be careful/paranoid, you could always install ClamAV.

I think AVG, ESET and Symantec have antivirus for Linux also. ClamAV would probably be one of the most used Linux antivirus software out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Recently it was found that over 20,000 linux machines were infected with linux specific malware. Linux is not in any way immune to malware like some people claim, it's just that there are very few pieces of malware going around that will infect linux computers. But they do exist and if I was banking and shopping on a linux computer I'd have Comodo installed.

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3601946/Linux+Malware+On+The+Rise.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

GarIT wrote: »
    Recently it was found that over 20,000 linux machines were infected with linux specific malware. Linux is not in any way immune to malware like some people claim, it's just that there are very few pieces of malware going around that will infect linux computers. But they do exist and if I was banking and shopping on a linux computer I'd have Comodo installed.

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3601946/Linux+Malware+On+The+Rise.htm

Exactly. I don't understand the commenters here who have said to not bother with an antivirus program. Basically, that's security through obscurity, which is the worst kind of security you could have. Even if there are very few linux specific malware, what's the harm in having an anti-malware program just in case?

Advertisement