Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend something for a grave?

• 10-04-2014 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

What would be a low maintence nice idea for a grave?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

arf91 wrote: »

Something that would be in bloom at time of the burial would be nice. What time of the year was it and we can help a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,677 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Are you looking for a single plant, or a border? Heather is low maintenance, though you would need acid soil for the summer flowering heathers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

The grave has aleady been there a while, I mean something that I can put down now and won't have to worry if I don't get a chance to get to it in say 6 months. Went to visit it and was shocked at the state or it, a friend of the family who lives beside the graveyard promised she'd keep the weeds off but didn't! I won't be there very often so something that's nice but will look after itself is what I'm looking for. Also don't know anything about gardening so this is all new to me, the easier the better! Thank you.

rje66 wrote: »
    Something that would be in bloom at time of the burial would be nice. What time of the year was it and we can help a bit more.

Oh sorry just re read your post, it was around this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Oh sorry just re read your post, it was around this time of year.

Why don't you put down evergreen shrubs like eunomys. Low maintenance, ideal if you can only get to the grave every 6 months. Stay away from bedding plants as they'll look dreadful by your next visit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

If you are only going to get there every six months, then forgive me but concrete and chippings is probably your best bet and maybe bring a seasonal pot plant when you go.
    There is little you can plant as ground cover which wont look as bad as weeds during it's non flowering period. Heather, as someone suggested, is probably as good as it gets but whatever you plant, the plot is going to be a mass of weeds for most of the time.
    In the cemetery where my parents are buried somebody decided to plant calendulas and even though my parents' grave is tended on a weekly basis, it is still a struggle to keep it weed free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 Guttervac

Maybe not to everyone's taste but artificial grass is getting popular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Maybe a low growing sedums. They require little care, will spread to cover available space. discrete to showy flowers.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Going to look into some of them about price because I'm on a tight budget too so it will need to be something cheap and cheerful. Want to avoid anything artificial ot hard looking. If there were plants that would co exist and flower in rotation or a plant that looked nice even when it wasn't in flower that would be ideal.

Advertisement