Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12ga Mossberg 500 20ga Sleeve?

Options
  • 11-04-2014 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

Has anyone a Mossberg 500 barrel that can confirm my suspicions? That my 12ga barrel has a 20ga screw in sleeve.

I acquired a used but like new Mossberg 500, with a clearly marked 12ga barrel.

I can put a 12ga round in to the magazine. When racked, the action will handle the shotshell, but cannot feed it into the barrel at all.

Not surprising, I can put a 20ga shotshell in the magazine, however, when racked, the 20ga is not handled properly.

12ga shotshells will not go in at all. But hand fed 20ga's fit perfect.

Conclusion - the barrel is sleeved. The sleeve is notched, like chokes and threaded in. I tried pulling and twisting it, but it would not come out.

Any sleeves I have seen have been slide in and not threaded.

So, rather than test my hypothesis, a bit of feedback would be nice.

Anyone have such a barrel or heard of them? Any links?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

FISMA wrote: »
    Has anyone a Mossberg 500 barrel that can confirm my suspicions? That my 12ga barrel has a 20ga screw in sleeve.

I acquired a used but like new Mossberg 500, with a clearly marked 12ga barrel.

I can put a 12ga round in to the magazine. When racked, the action will handle the shotshell, but cannot feed it into the barrel at all.

Not surprising, I can put a 20ga shotshell in the magazine, however, when racked, the 20ga is not handled properly.

12ga shotshells will not go in at all. But hand fed 20ga's fit perfect.

Conclusion - the barrel is sleeved. The sleeve is notched, like chokes and threaded in. I tried pulling and twisting it, but it would not come out.

Any sleeves I have seen have been slide in and not threaded.

So, rather than test my hypothesis, a bit of feedback would be nice.

Anyone have such a barrel or heard of them? Any links?

Thanks
    Is it possible it's a 20g barrel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

kay 9 wrote: »
    Is it possible it's a 20g barrel?

I was thinking the same, however, definitely marked 12ga.

Thanks for the link. I think I'll email Mossberg to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Your welcome to throw my barrel onto your gun to see. Where you bassed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

aaakev wrote: »
    Your welcome to throw my barrel onto your gun to see. Where you bassed?

Thanks for the offer. PM'd.

I think I will contact Mossberg to see what they have to say.

Advertisement