Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whether to do Regional or not..

Options
  • 11-04-2014 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

I know this is very much a matter of personal preference but would anyone like to provide any advice that may have been in a similar situation..

Myself and herself have been here since January and we're returning home in December. We have no plans to return immediately and are looking forward to going home (We love it here but we're home birds).

The conundrum is whether to do the regional work or not. On one hand, if we done it it we can return if we want further down the line. On the other hand, if we don't return we will have wasted 3 months doing sh*tty work when there was no need for it.

As I said, we know it's down to our own personal preferences but can anyone offer any advice, just suck it up and do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

What age are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

Sundy wrote: »
    What age are you?

We're 22 & 23.

We know it would be really handy to have further down the line but not sure if it would be worth it if we unsure about returning.

We have heard horror stories about the regional work but then again if the place was OK, we'd make a bit of money at least. Not easy to get a decent place though..

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Jellytotsx

I'm not doing my regional work but my boyfriend is, he's been there for 6 weeks and has only been paid once, he is having a tough time getting paid and working long hours! It also cost us a lot for him to move down there and get set up. So you need to be so careful, some can be a bit dodgy!

Jellytotsx wrote: »
    I'm not doing my regional work but my boyfriend is, he's been there for 6 weeks and has only been paid once, he is having a tough time getting paid and working long hours! It also cost us a lot for him to move down there and get set up. So you need to be so careful, some can be a bit dodgy!

Yeah it seems to be really tough to get something reliable. We know we probably will get tired of been at home after a while but we do have options beyond Australia(Canada etc.) so that's why we're trying to decide if its worth going through all the hassle

Alanhooly wrote: »
    Yeah it seems to be really tough to get something reliable. We know we probably will get tired of been at home after a while but we do have options beyond Australia(Canada etc.) so that's why we're trying to decide if its worth going through all the hassle

It's been really tough we are currently living 4 hours away from each other I'm in Sydney and he's down in Cootamundra. How are you getting on with other employment? I'd say if you are working at something stay where you are! We've been here 12 weeks and I still haven't gotten anything!

• Advertisement

It's been really tough we are currently living 4 hours away from each other I'm in Sydney and he's down in Cootamundra. How are you getting on with other employment? I'd say if you are working at something stay where you are! We've been here 12 weeks and I still haven't gotten anything!

We're in Sydney as well. I was working full time for the first couple of months and now I'm working through an agency so I'm working week to week. My gf is a nanny in the evening time and works with an agency for morning shifts in a nursing home. We're making enough money to live comfortably and enjoy our time but won't be returning home with much (Not our main intention anyway). Really in two minds over this regional stuff because we don't want to leave it too late if we decide to do it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Do it anyway, if you can find the work. It's one of those things that you probably won't regret doing, but might really regret not doing.

If you know what I mean:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

100% do it. 3 months is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I have always regretted not doing it.

100% do it. 3 months is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I have always regretted not doing it.

In the grand scheme of things it is nothing but we have been here 3 months now and it feels like we're here 6! 3 months of 5am starts, living in a shack could feel like a very long time.

I suppose its the things you don't do in life that you regret though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

In the grand scheme of things it is nothing but we have been here 3 months now and it feels like we're here 6! 3 months of 5am starts, living in a shack could feel like a very long time.

The only reason I wouldnt do it is if I was 100% sure I wasnt going to want to come back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Just do it. It's 88 days. if you have weekends off, they count towards the 88 days. Anybody I've known to do it has enjoyed it, met lots of people and earned some good money while they were at it. It gives you the option to come back or even stay if you like it.

You've probably got settled with your job and life here and it is a hassle to uproot and go do the regional work. Once its done, its out of the way. You make it sound like you are afraid of hard work and early starts.

I met a friend who was looking for people to go to Orange to help putting up netting to protect crops from hailstones. It's in the postcode for 2nd WHV and its a legit company if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭skwinty

While in Australia last year, I did some regional work in Victoria. It was a legit company (dairy farm) and pay was good, tough work but really enjoyed it. If you guys are serious about doing it I can provide contact details of the company I worked for... I will have to check with the boss first though..

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

You don't have to go and pick fruit and live in a shack, have a look at the list of work you can do, you can fit blinds,carpets in houses for 3 months etc.... And enjoy it, I went to south australia in September to do mine and only left this week having enjoyed my time.

It's tougher for girls no doubt, my girlfriend worked 28 days and "volunteered" the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Definitely do it. You're only here since January, it generally takes people 6 months to fully settle in and you could regret not doing it when its too late!

If ye stay away from the main backpacker places like bundaburg, mildura etc, it should be ok to get a decent paying job and you would be able to save a good bit as theres generally nothing to spend your money on! I didnt need to do it myself but it seems a good life experience if you find the right place. Research is key and if something sounds dodgy, it usually is!!

We were in West Wyong at the weekend in Central NSW, was talking to a few farmers who said they are crying out for farm workers to sow corn. They pay around $25 per hour, its a great little spot and only 5 hrs from sydney if you need a weekend away!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Why would you want to stay for a second year when the first 3 months of your first year seems like some kind of torture for you? Australia is not for everyone so don't feel like you have to get the second year visa just because thousands of other people do it every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

He wont be your boyfriend when you have to go home and he can stay on for another year. Really think you should reconsider doing it. You have 5 yrs to activate the second year.

pete4130 wrote: »
    You make it sound like you are afraid of hard work and early starts .

Ha, I can assure you I'm well used to hard work and early starts. I'm in construction over here!

Cheers for the reply! It probably is best off if we get it done!

aido79 wrote: »
    Why would you want to stay for a second year when the first 3 months of your first year seems like some kind of torture for you? Australia is not for everyone so don't feel like you have to get the second year visa just because thousands of other people do it every year.

Torture? I said I love it here. I do miss home but I wouldn't go as far as to say its torture. ☺

It does feel like a lot longer than 3 months since we arrived though, probably because we've done so much in that space of time.

Thanks for the reply!

He wont be your boyfriend when you have to go home and he can stay on for another year. Really think you should reconsider doing it. You have 5 yrs to activate the second year.

That is quite a presumption to make from one internet post, I think I know my relationship slightly better than you do. Not that I have to explain our decisions to you but he is a farmer by trade and only wants to do one year here so he can head home to his own farm in Ireland and I have a job waiting at home for me at the end of the year, so nope don't think I will reconsider!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

That is quite a presumption to make from one internet post, I think I know my relationship slightly better than you do. Not that I have to explain our decisions to you but he is a farmer by trade and only wants to do one year here so he can head home to his own farm in Ireland and I have a job waiting at home for me at the end of the year, so nope don't think I will reconsider!

Then why put himself through the 3 months of crappy work that's rarely paying to only want to do 1 year? If he has real farming knowledge then surely there are better job options out there for him.

• Advertisement

Then why put himself through the 3 months of crappy work that's rarely paying to only want to do 1 year? If he has real farming knowledge then surely there are better job options out there for him.

Because he is not doing it to qualify for the second year visa he's doing it to learn new farming techniques and skills. I also never said it was crappy work I said he's doing long hours, after looking for a job for 8 weeks he was offered this one that's why he is doing it. I never asked for advice on doing regional work I was merely giving our experience to someone who was looking for opinions, so if we could get back to the OP's original question rather than dissecting my relationship and questioning everything we have done that'd be super!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I depends on where you end up aswell, my brother worked in Tully in Queensland, I was half thinking of working there until I saw it! my god I would not have worked there for 3 hours let alone 3 months:),
    But down in Ayr it looked nice, a much bigger town with a lot more to do, we didn't want to wait for work but the hostel was only $150 a week so it would have been cheap to hang around for work,
    In the end I left Australia after 3 months so it's true it's not for everyone! If your half hearted I don't think you will put up with regional work, it does sound tough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Blue Whale

Do the regional. Gives you the option in the future.

I wish I had done it, only did it for less than two months

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Torture? I said I love it here. I do miss home but I wouldn't go as far as to say its torture. ☺

It does feel like a lot longer than 3 months since we arrived though, probably because we've done so much in that space of time.

Thanks for the reply!

My apologies. I'm sorry I misinterpreted your post. As most people have said already you should do the regional work to give yourself the option to come back if you wanted to. But be advised to choose wisely who you work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It is a bad idea to go to Oz with a partner. You are too tied down and do not get to experience the place or get to know other people.
    As for doing the 3 months it may be difficult to get something that will suit both of you. If you are prepared to work and can handle heat you should not have a problem. Give it a go anyway. It is good to get away from the cities.

Advertisement