Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cllrs paid €2mill in 3years!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
  • 11-04-2014 3:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

See below for details given by WLR.

WLRFM News: 1.9 million paid to Waterford County Councillors over 3 years.

Thursday, 10 April 2014 08:56

In the three years from 2011 to the end of 2013, 1 point 9 million euro in total has been paid to the 23 Waterford County Councillors. This total includes representative payment, annual allowance, payment for chairing Strategic Policy Committees, Mayoral allowance, telephone allowance and conference expenses. Fine Gael's Lola O'Sullivan was paid the most while Sinn Fein's Brendan Mansfield was paid the least Councillor Lola O'Sullivan was paid 114 thousand 228 euro in total for 2011, 2012 and 2013. Her higher earnings can be attributed to her chairing the County Development Board each year as well as chairing a Strategic Policy Committee in 2012 and 2013. Councillors are paid 6 thousand euro extra a year to chair these committees. Fine Gael's Liam Brazil, who recieved a mayoral allowance over this time, was paid 111 thousand 551 euro in total. Fianna Fail Councillor Pat Daly who was paid 99 thousand 850 euro in total, also chaired an SPC for each of the three years. While Labour's Ger Barron was paid a total of 98 thousand 248 euro in total, He also chaired an SPC for each of the three years Councillor Barron attended the highest number of conferences in this time, attending 28 in total. However he didn't exceed his annual allowance for conferences. At the bottom of the list of 23 councillors in terms of earnings is Councillor Brendan Mansfield, who was paid 57 thousand and 44 euro over the 3 years. Like his party colleague Pat Fitzgerald, he didn't attend any conferences as part of Sinn Fein policy. Labour's Billy Kyne didnt' attend any either Councillor Brendan Coffey didn't attend any conference in 2013. Councillors, on average, attended 16 conferences between 2011 and 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

They are the best that money can buy !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

What is the point of this story and thread? It’s just numbers with no context. €1.9 million over 3 years is not much for 23 councillors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

BBM77 wrote: »
    What is the point of this story and thread? It’s just numbers with no context. €1.9 million over 3 years is not much for 23 councillors.

Why do we need 23 councillors???????

• Administrators Posts: 14,024 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Councillor Lola O'Sullivan was paid 114 thousand 228 euro in total for 2011, 2012 and 2013.

€114,228 / 3 years = €38,076

And that was the highest amount paid? So the others were paid less than €38,000 per annum?

€38,076 sounds like a reasonable annual wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

If we put a tax on ! and ? we'll have it back in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

The big city hall knees up!
    Councillers and guests were treated to a feast in city hall
    Gorging on a french spring buffet and swilling it all down with a free bar! Last week.

All paid for by who??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Its nice money for a job where you dont actually do anything and have no power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

shock horror - my wage bill for 28 full and part-time staff was €1.7m in last 3 years.

On top of that, I've sent some staff to conferences - the shame of it.

Wonder what WLRFM wage bill was for the past three years? - Surely their staff don't work for free?

I'm not a councillor. I don't know any councillors personally. I have no interest in becoming one. But, (much like giving out about the teachers*) if people think it's such a cushty number, why not try and go for a seat yourselves?

*I'm not a teacher either by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

I'm not a councillor. I don't know any councillors personally. I have no interest in becoming one. But, (much like giving out about the teachers*) if people think it's such a cushty number, why not try and go for a seat yourselves?

*I'm not a teacher either by the way!

Okay so paying a PE teacher €68k per annum is normal in a country essentially bankrupt.

Woodworker teacher = €59k

Home economic teacher = €55k

Sure

• Advertisement

Would the guest list and cost for this knees up be of public interest?
    Seen public money paid for it?

Would the guest list and cost for this knees up be of public interest?
    Seen public money paid for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

mozattack wrote: »
    Okay so paying a PE teacher €68k per annum is normal in a country essentially bankrupt.

Sure

All teachers are paid according to length of service not the subjects they teach. if you are quoting those figures it's probably because they are the top of their pay scale and have been teaching about 30 years!!!

mozattack wrote: »

Sure

Yeah... Sure we all know the teachers are the highest earning of the public sector.

If the country is bankrupt... It's not the teachers' fault, or the local town councillors' fault for that matter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

scout353 wrote: »
    All teachers are paid according to length of service not the subjects they teach. if you are quoting those figures it's probably because they are the top of their pay scale and have been teaching about 30 years!!!

Why?, surely they should be paid on how good they are or on results like the rest of us.

Again teachers are qualified personnel and deserve their wage...
    The counciller gravy train will hopefully be coming to a halt after today's ballots
    With the who ya Know not what ya know or who you are related ta....being kicked to the kerb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Again teachers are qualified personnel and deserve their wage...
    The counciller gravy train will hopefully be coming to a halt after today's ballots
    With the who ya Know not what ya know or who you are related ta....being kicked to the kerb

The gravy train will be available for the newly elected councillors too though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

tonc76 wrote: »
    The gravy train will be available for the newly elected councillors too though?

Max 35k per annum to have every whinging git ringing you at 9 o'clock at night, having to go to every funeral , no private life, every tool who can write berating you on social media.
    No thanks brother , it is anything but the gravy train that some alledge the price is very high imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Max 35k per annum to have every whinging git ringing you at 9 o'clock at night, having to go to every funeral , no private life, every tool who can write berating you on social media.
    No thanks brother , it is anything but the gravy train that some alledge the price is very high imo.

Should have "gravy trained" my comment. I don't consider it anything of the sort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

scout353 wrote: »

Wrong, one is 39, the other is 38 and the other example is 46.

Advertisement