Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

narrow escape for dog

• 11-04-2014 8:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

was trading at a street market in a small town.

some traders bring their dogs and there is a big central green area.

tradder is throwing a ball for the dog to fetch and they are having a wonderful time.

by a sheer fluke the ball hits something and ricochets back and straight across the road at speed with of course the dog in swift pursuit.

we all watch in helpless horror.

sheer miracle as it was quite busy that no car was passing.

owner just kind of gulped.
    chatted later and decided dog must have nine lives.

just happened so fast.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Mine (Collie cross) went off a 35-40ft bridge over Christmas. She came running from behind me, jumped up on the wall, was about to jump off the other side, realised she couldn't stop, and had to watch as she went flying out and down. Heard the yelp and thud while I was already running to get down and around (couldn't watch her hit the ground). Was thinking 'dead dog' and in bits running down to her. She lifted her head up as I approached (landed on a field rather than in a flooded river) and I thought broken back for sure, no way she can be ok. Felt her over, no whimpers, got her up and much to my complete shock, she walked away from it, bit stiff for a few days after but still running around the garden. Had her checked over by the vet who couldn't believe she had survived! One incredibly lucky dog...I honestly was looking at her in amazement for weeks after asking how the hell she was still with me, couldn't understand it. Any wall she comes to now, it's two paws up to have a look first, don't think she's tried jumping up on one since!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

carav10 wrote: »
    Mine (Collie cross) went off a 35-40ft bridge over Christmas. She came running from behind me, jumped up on the wall, was about to jump off the other side, realised she couldn't stop, and had to watch as she went flying out and down. Heard the yelp and thud while I was already running to get down and around (couldn't watch her hit the ground). Was thinking 'dead dog' and in bits running down to her. She lifted her head up as I approached (landed on a field rather than in a flooded river) and I thought broken back for sure, no way she can be ok. Felt her over, no whimpers, got her up and much to my complete shock, she walked away from it, bit stiff for a few days after but still running around the garden. Had her checked over by the vet who couldn't believe she had survived! One incredibly lucky dog...I honestly was looking at her in amazement for weeks after asking how the hell she was still with me, couldn't understand it. Any wall she comes to now, it's two paws up to have a look first, don't think she's tried jumping up on one since!

Not only is that just awful for you and doggy (so glad she's ok), but I had almost this exact dream about my dog a few nights ago, I woke up with my heart pounding as I was looking down from the bridge at him on the sand (tide was out!) and thinking 'he's dead'. How weird is that?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Not only is that just awful for you and doggy (so glad she's ok), but I had almost this exact dream about my dog a few nights ago, I woke up with my heart pounding as I was looking down from the bridge at him on the sand (tide was out!) and thinking 'he's dead'. How weird is that?!

Weird...not sure I like dreams like that!

The worst thing was, I was in the middle of the woods, and as I started out, realised I'd left my phone behind and thought, sure I'm not going far but then just kept walking. So there I was in the middle of nowhere thinking I was going to have a seriously injured or dead dog and no phone. Think I was in more shock than she was that day, will never forget looking up at that bridge thinking 'did that just really happen'. Bouncy strong collies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

these things happen so fast. the road in the village has heavy traffic. we did not have time even to blink and of course the dog had no idea anything was wrong... dog, ball, run

once had a siamese walk out of a third floor window onto concrete. had a leg in plaster at the time and the stairs were a nightmare. he was fine. apparently they have little third dimension sight at night so he thought he was near the ground.

Advertisement