Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jewelry re-evaluation charge query

Options
  • 11-04-2014 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

Years ago I had a bracelet valued for insurance and when this comes up for renewal the jeweller just reprints the valuation and changes the date to he present.

This year when bringing some new items in to be valued I asked them for a re-evaluation based on their records so not a physical evaluation of the item if that makes any sense at all thinking they either wouldn't charge and lump it with the newer jewellery valuation or charge a small fee.

They charged me 1% of value of the new jewellery (no problem with this) and 1% value of bracelet which they did not even physically look at.

Does that sound correct or will I take my business elsewhere next time I need a re-evaluation? I was looking after it for an elderly relative so I will pay for the re-evaluation as I think that was my mistake for asking for it to start with. I only asked in the first place as the place I got my engagement ring from sends updated valuations each year free of charge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Valuations is part of the jeweller's business, so they're entitled to charge for it.

I would consider a free "refresh" of the valuation over a number of years to be a bonus rather than a standard service. I've never encountered a jeweller who didn't charge for valuations or revaluations.

I'm not sure why though you're getting stuff valued so regularly? Is your insurer insisting on a new valuation every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Every two years normally but we have changed insurer for her and there were new items. A bit of a mess really and I think will be sticking with the same insurer for next few years and get just the printout with the updated date with the valuation remaining the same.

I suppose I did expect about €50 worse case considering it wasn't a physical examination. The norm in that shop is €50 up to €5000 and 1% for over. It's just this item is quite expensive so the 1% is an expensive lesson on top of the newer items needing valuation which were also worth a lot.

If its the norm fair enough, silly me was just wondering if I was being unfair to them. Hopefully won't need to do this for a while again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

One of the criteria I use when shopping for home insurance is the jewellery valuation threshold - usually its not worth switching on this basis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

There is no harm calling around for better value. I know when some rings are valued, the quote includes a cleaning and a tightening of the stones.

Advertisement