Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Received faulty tablet with no options left for comeback

Options
  • 11-04-2014 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭

I bought a brand new Nexus 10 from a UK based ebay store before xmas. I gave it to my father as an xmas present and everything appeared fine with it for a few weeks. Then the device developed an issue with crashing and being unable to stay on for more than a minute. I tried everything including hard resets to fix it but still the exact same issue.

So I first emailed Google and they went through troubleshooting steps and came to the same conclusion I did that it is most likely a hardware fault. They wouldn't honour any kind of warranty though because I didn't buy it directly from them, they said they will only deal with the person or reseller that purchased it from them. Next stop was the ebay store I bought it from. I was a bit naive because I've never had to return anything to an ebay seller or start a paypal dispute. By the time I contacted the ebay store I was outside the 45 day paypal dispute window. The seller wouldn't even respond to my multiple emails!? I contacted Samsung and they said the tablet originated in the United States and basically said we can't fix it for you unless you from there. Even if I was in the US apparently it is notoriously hard to get either Google or Samsung to fix these devices.

So finally because I paid via credit card I started a bank charge back process but they said no as well with a vague line "No expert opinion of product condition at time of arrival". I'm going to follow up on this but not holding out much hope.

I've exhausted all my options and am now left with a €400 brick. Anyone got any ideas? I would happily pay to have it repaired for a reasonable price but there isn't really any such service in Ireland for these tablets. I've put it up for sale for parts on adverts :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

There is a European Small Claims Court that you could try. I don't know much about but made some enquiries before when I was having trouble with a French car hire company. I didn't need them in the end but it's worth looking into. Be prepared for the long haul.

http://www.courts.ie/Courts.ie/library3.nsf/pagecurrent/BE71CDF8FCA10C8C80257559005F5C59?opendocument

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Take a look at http://pages.ebay.ie/help/policies/listing-distance.html

It explains that selling stuff on eBay is governed by the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000
    Distance Selling Regulations give protection to consumers who shop by phone, mail order, via the Internet or digital TV: The protection includes:

The right to receive clear information about goods and services before deciding to buy;
    • Confirmation of this information in writing;
    • A cooling off period of seven working days in which the consumer can withdraw from the contract;
    • Protection from credit card fraud.

Did the eBay ad have a warranty listed? If it did, and the seller is now refusing to honour the warranty, then they are in breach of this law.

Advertisement