Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a house - tips please?

Options
  • 11-04-2014 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

We have a 3 bed house that we wish to rent I have never rented out a house before so just wondering if anyone can give some advice and tips on renting out a house. Few questions I want to have it furnished so what is acceptable to leave in the house apart from beds, furniture, white goods and cutlery/crockery what else? I probably would have to get a letting agent to sort out the details as the house is in the country and I am in Dublin. I take it they will sort out things like lease agreements, valuation for rental income, and sorting out problems if there are any faults that the tenant would want to report.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

well, as a tenant in dublin let me tell you you will have no problems renting your house!
    Regarding furnishings you can leave what you want to leave just make sure you have an inventory of whatever you leave behind as it can be damaged, stolen etc.
    Personally I do not like dealing with estates agents I would rather deal with the landlord directly but it is your choice, just make sure you take a deposit, enter into a contract and register with PTRB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Ask the letting agent for advice on the tax issues, etc. Keep in mind a letting agent will not be too concerned on the type of tenant and is only worried about getting someone to rent it. It will help if you specify to them the type of tenant you wish to have (if you are leaving the viewings, etc up to them too).

In terms of furnishing, you seem to have the minimum covered. A hoover is always a good idea, it at least gives the tenant no excuse not to clean up. I've always seen a few spare bulbs in places I've rented and always left some behind too, but this isn't a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Thanks for tips it's in in a country town and the estate agents are nice I would need them to deal with stuff as I live/work in Dublin so wouldnt be able to deal with somethings. Once I specify the type of tenant I am looking for and if I need certain clauses put into a contract should be ok. Just have all the tax and legal stuff to sort out the house is in my mother's name but due to bad memory she lives with us in Dublin so I guess I will have to get the deeds changed into my name or sort out power of attorney. There isn't that much left to take out of the house thankfully but think I will be needing a removal lorry as Mam doesnt want to part with somethings. Just want to get the ball rolling on what I need to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Would you no leave the house in your mothers name and want ever money is made from it is saved for possible medical expenses,living expenses etc? There is no point having most of the rent paid out in your name for you to have a massive tax bill. It kind of defects the purpose of letting it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Thats great if I can do that she has Dementia so I have to sort out POA for her with a Solicitor anyway. Havent a clue of renting out property so just looking for feedback now. If Mam has stuff to sign don't want here having to be going up and down to the country signing I must get that legal end sorted.
    Main thing I guess is sort that out, get a good agent, know the landlord/tax rights, I will want the agents to sort everything out as I will not be there and make sure I keep a list of everything in the house to be taken out and left there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement