Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of plaster-boarding & skimming

Options
  • 11-04-2014 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭

Hi - just wondering how much I would expect to pay for boarding & skimming the following:

- a wall, floor to ceiling, 5 metres long, 2 metres high (skirts to hide the join at the floor, beading around a door is the only "complexity"
    - a ceiling, 5 metres long, 3.5 metres wide

Can someone give me some sort of idea please? We have builders in at the moment and worried about additional costs, the above was not part of the fixed price but had to be done, I'd prefer to have some sort of idea of how much it should cost before speaking to the builder.

Thanks,

BM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Even a rough idea....??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

screw plasterboard to walls, ceilings - 5euro/m sq, skimming 200 euro/day or tape and jointing 6 euro/m sq.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 White oak construction

Handsandtools still on boom prices are you? 15 euro a board ?rip off €200 a day skimming ? another rip off ....I would recommend getting a couple of prices as there are still thieves out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Handsandtools still on boom prices are you? 15 euro a board ?rip off €200 a day skimming ? another rip off ....I would recommend getting a couple of prices as there are still thieves out there.
    You may do 4 sheets for 2euro a sheet, to cover your diesel and lunch. Look at the total amount.
    And get a good skimmer for 100euro a day including tax.

So am I looking at something like €300-400 euros for the lot, including boards? There were two fellas there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Can someone give me some sort of idea please? We have builders in at the moment and worried about additional costs, the above was not part of the fixed price but had to be done, I'd prefer to have some sort of idea of how much it should cost before speaking to the builder.
    Thanks,

BM
    in the first post you are looking for a rough price before you speak to the builder
    So am I looking at something like €300-400 euros for the lot, including boards? There were two fellas there.
    in the next post it seems the builder is doing the work? but you dont know how much its going to cost you yet?

The first post was when we had given the go-ahead to the builder to do it - I was on-site and the ceiling was in ****e so decided we had to do it, so I gave the go-ahead. The builder was not on site, his foreman was.

So I am looking for a rough price before talking to the builder about the additional costs incurred. Yes, the ceiling and the wall is now slabbed and skimmed. So when I talk to the builder I would like to be able to have an informed opinion of whether the price he allocates to this piece of work is a reasonable one.

in a earlier post you suggested
    I think that the architect maybe does not always see it this way, or else believes the budget can be extended or something.
    in this case have you allowed the budget to get 'extended'?
    The first post was when we had given the go-ahead to the builder to do it - I was on-site and the ceiling was in ****e so decided we had to do it, so I gave the go-ahead. The builder was not on site, his foreman was.

So I am looking for a rough price before talking to the builder about the additional costs incurred. Yes, the ceiling and the wall is now slabbed and skimmed. So when I talk to the builder I would like to be able to have an informed opinion of whether the price he allocates to this piece of work is a reasonable one.
    and should you not have insisted on a price for the work, prior to the works commencing?
    assuming this is not a builders mistake in which case
    get a QS in as quickly as possible.

Thanks for that BryanF, a real help, I hope other non-moderator types can learn from your example posting helpful and on-topic advice. You must have an awful lot of time on your hands to allow you to go and look up posts I made 6 months ago, fair play to you ;)

Thanks for that BryanF, a real help, I hope other non-moderator types can learn from your example posting helpful and on-topic advice. You must have an awful lot of time on your hands to allow you to go and look up posts I made 6 months ago, fair play to you ;)
    no problem, any time! its great when people post giving sympathy and advice on threads and then don't take their own advice;)

• Advertisement

The posts you have quoted have no relevance to this thread at all.

I stand by my suggestion that an Architect should all the time take the Client Budget into account when drawing up plans. If I was engaging an architect, I would want to be sure that they were only considering options that were reasonably affordable to me. I would tell them my budget, and ask that any plans they come up with could reasonably be expected to come in near enough budget. I think that's a pretty reasonable stance, and it is the point I was trying to make in my post last November.

I stand by my advice that someone doing a big job should hire a QS, and should use them to value any changes to scope of work to a tender. Additionally, for someone who has engaged in a significant piece of work without a QS, and sees scope of work & additional costs being introduced - I would stand by my advice that they should look to introduce a QS immediately. I think that's a pretty reasonable stance, and it is the point I was trying to make in my post last September.

The above not at all at odds with the situation I find myself in.

We're knocking a single internal wall that is non-load bearing, the work is being carried out under the instruction of an an engineer. There is no architect. We had a fixed cost for a defined set of works. I decided to extend the scope of work by re-doing the ceiling and wall.

I know that I should have asked the builder for a price for what it should cost. I'm not too worried though, the additional work is not a lot, it is in the hundreds of euro range, and the builder and I are both reasonable people. I'm confident that I am happy to pay a fair price, and he is prepared to charge a fair price.

I'm not interested in your opinion at all. You didn't try to help with your posts, you just tried to attack me using out of context quotes. If you want to be fair as a moderator I suggest that if you decide to go to the effort of looking up old posts, that you also take the time to ensure the context is even remotely relevant to the discussion at hand.

yes. from the info you've given that sounds about right
    The posts you have quoted have no relevance to this thread at all.

The above not at all at odds with the situation I find myself in.
    thats where our opinion differs

my point was, why didn't you get a price before they did the work?
    I'm not interested in your opinion at all.
    ill keep that in mind and wont be posting again on the matter
    You didn't try to help with your posts, you just tried to attack me using out of context quotes.
    there's no one 'attacking' you.
    If you want to be fair as a moderator I suggest that if you decide to go to the effort of looking up old posts, that you also take the time to ensure the context is even remotely relevant to the discussion at hand.
    so we have different opinions on this as well
    I know that I should have asked the builder for a price for what it should cost.
    thats all i was getting at

Advertisement