Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sundrive Track League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

I'd wager gap in abilities. IMHO, the best riders are the ones both strong and fit. Lots of strong riders in each category but it's the strong and fit ones who dominate.

Even when it's all out like that I'd argue it's not like a road race. You get chances to recover in road races, there's almost no chances in search races, unless you're in the As and the boring legs keep an eye on each other thing starts.

Yeah that's what I feel is winning out. Some of the riders are able to just push it for endurance and it seems to kind of remove any of the traditional tactics when everyone is at the same level.
    It's a good thing though I suppose, as it encourages you to keep working on endurance.

Ha well yes that's true, it's like a time trial more so than a race. Either way, I find it's really tough going mentally when you're going all out and three people are on front of you and you start questioning if you'll even be able to place at the finish.

How are you feeling for Saturday?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

C-Shore wrote: »
    Yeah sorry, not straight away, but once he caught on and there was a regrouping, he didn't push as hard (not a complaint or anything, just he was very strong so he probably could have).

I think we got one lap into the points race, someone jumped and then everyone went after him single file and there was nobody working together so it was all strung out.
    There was a bit of a split, and three guys were out the front, so I got across to that, and then realized that 3 weeks without racing meant I wasn't fit/strong enough to keep that pace for another 10 laps!

Did you win your points race though yes? The last sprint was great to watch!

I did. That last sprint hurt A LOT! I think it's the most wrecked my legs have felt after a race. I really thought I wasn't going to get it as I had nothing left.

It's hard to get on if there has been a split, I find it really hard anyway. Especially if there's a jump soon after you get on. Pain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

How are you feeling for Saturday?

I'm not sure tbh. Have basically trained all year for it so it's a bit stressful. I was supposed to go easy last night but I'm not great at sitting at the back, so probably should have stayed at home LOLZ. Anyway, we got bronze last year so hopefully we'll be faster this year and place higher.

gadetra wrote: »
    I did. That last sprint hurt A LOT! I think it's the most wrecked my legs have felt after a race. I really thought I wasn't going to get it as I had nothing left.

It's hard to get on if there has been a split, I find it really hard anyway. Especially if there's a jump soon after you get on. Pain!

That was a great finish. Very exciting.

The jumps are fitness too. Watching the whole time and being ready to go so you don't have to put in that extra energy to catch, but also being fit enough to do it over and over. One of my weaknesses to work on, so that's the only reason I know.

I'm not sure tbh. Have basically trained all year for it so it's a bit stressful. I was supposed to go easy last night but I'm not great at sitting at the back, so probably should have stayed at home LOLZ. Anyway, we got bronze last year so hopefully we'll be faster this year and place higher.

Ha it is hard not to chase wheels.

Good luck with it. I won't make it over because I'm working at the Rock n Roll Half Marathon, but I hope it goes well for you and the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭SERCPRO

No, but I have it on good word that you are last. Dead last.

Great thanks.I missed this Wed and will not make it back until the last night :(
    Have fun everyone and ride hard, fast and safely. :)

No, but I have it on good word that you are last. Dead last.

Great thanks.I missed this Wed and will not make it back until the last night :(

SERCPRO wrote: »

Ha that'll be fun. I missed three weeks of racing, and I almost died last night. Twice. Then it rained and I managed to pull through.

See you soon man.

Today's events postponed until next Saturday 9 August.

• Advertisement

Less than 10 As? I guess it's quiet for sure.

Only 5 C ladies so we were in with the regular C's. Would have been lovely to have the ladies races scheduled. Very quiet the last couple of weeks, is it because of the nationals?

I had some mild mechanical drama tonight-I missed the kilo because my bars went skew ways when I started off and wouldn't tighten. Was put on the scratch line for the handicap and held on until…the first corner :o. Couldn't hold that pace at all! Finished really early, by half 8 :eek: only 3 races, I don't know why the 3 up sprints didn't happen, there were only a few there and it seemed on schedule?

Fun night as ever, the young speedsters were out again, it was tiring!

I honestly have no idea why it's so quiet. A lot of the As haven't shown for this league at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭RockWerchter

I'll hopefully be back next week.

I realised tonight was my last night of the league as I'm away for the next two. Hopefully make the fun night before nationals.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I was away the last two due to holidays, I imagine at this time of year it's a common excuse.

• Advertisement

I was away the last two due to holidays, I imagine at this time of year it's a common excuse.

I guess. I'll be taking part in Keirin Nationals on Saturday, then five days later I'll be sitting with a load of old men and yakuza gambling whatever money I have on Keirin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Less than 10 As? I guess it's quiet for sure.

I wish that was the case in HHV :pac:

I feel broken every Thursday morning...

colm_gti wrote: »
    I wish that was the case in HHV :pac:

I feel broken every Thursday morning...

I went through the pics of the Keirin meet in HHV last weekend, or the one before. Some very big guys there. Don't think you'll have any probs here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I honestly have no idea why it's so quiet. A lot of the As haven't shown for this league at all.

It's a long season for some and work commitments have gotten in the way for a lot of people (myself included). Can't do it all.

With the ladies, a few have been injured (myself included). I'm not eligible for nationals, so don't really enjoy this time of year as all the training/racing is focused on that. Will be racing til February anyway, and need to get out on the cross bike again. First race is a week today.

• Advertisement

Yeah I am looking doubtful for Saturday now myself :( What was supposed to be a simple procedure turned into a more invasive one today so depending on soreness I mightn't be able to do it. It's pants cos I felt deadly last Sat and Sofie has to work this Saturday so she can't stand in :(. I can't get on a bike till Saturday morning. I don't see myself doing the kerin now at all, I'd love to do the team sprint. Timing is everything!!

You racing cyclocross all winter nak? You're hard core!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Yeah I am looking doubtful for Saturday now myself :( What was supposed to be a simple procedure turned into a more invasive one today so depending on soreness I mightn't be able to do it. It's pants cos I felt deadly last Sat and Sofie has to work this Saturday so she can't stand in :(. I can't get on a bike till Saturday morning. I don't see myself doing the kerin now at all, I'd love to do the team sprint. Timing is everything!!

Emily told me she might not get off work for saturday

Emily told me she might not get off work for saturday

Ah ok that makes me feel better. I'll give her a text and see what the story is. I'll head down and watch anyway, I can go on cheering duty!
    Are you doing the kevin?

(Autocorrect keeps making kerin 'kevin', titter titter. Although on Saturday it'll be the Ciarán!)

I will only be riding my bike on saturday!

I put my name down but its gonna be tough, I did a squat session at 5pm yesterday before the league racing, not too heavy so should be 100% for saturday. theres 25 entered, I'd love a top 10 finish. my squat progress makes me excited about next year, can go up another level and hang with the big boys hopefully.

last weekend being cancelled messed up my training a little(along with a weekend of ice cream and cakes while dog sitting) so had to do a gym session yesterday, otherwise I wouldnt have gone back till october as it would have been 2 weeks away from gym

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Hope you're ok for Saturday, at least there are other races to come for nationals and Leinsters.

Cyclocross isn't too bad - 9 races around Dublin on Sundays, maybe a few Ulster ones and support race for nationals. Winter track is also an option in UK/Netherlands. A group trip from here would be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭Big Mig

Oh no :-( :-(

Big Mig wrote: »
    Oh no :-( :-(

Ah I should make it. Gingerly ;)

Well what a day yesterday! Fantastic racing, amazing to watch.
    I did the team sprint (wrong :rolleyes:) but nothing to really report there.

Some controversy reigned, the second placed pair ended up being DQ'd about 10 mins after they had come off track which was awful, a huge pity because they looked amazing, so slick. The winners were super slick too after a false start. Most combinations were spot on, Big Mig killed it (both!) and well done on the silver and bronze, ye were slick out :cool:

The team pursuit ended up being really exciting to watch. A couple of combinations fell apart, but it was tight at the top and the winners - wow, it was a real spectacle. The start was super, super tight, it was incredible. Then it just got better from there on in. There was barely daylight between them over the whole 8 laps, and every up and over was spot on. It really as stunning to watch. Sundrive 1 very deservedly got the gold (yeahie!). Take a bow Harrybelafone, National Champion ;):D

The rain disrupted the schedule and the senior mens keirin final has been put back until the next national champs at the end of August. Some very exciting junior racing. I left before the end of the junior racing as it was getting on for 7 o clock and I was knackered and damp!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭Big Mig

Gadetra.......to clarify (if you dont mind!! :-)) the second pair were not actually DQ'd...what happened was that they did a false start, but it took a few minutes for this to be acted on - which was not fair at all......it should have been pointed out at the time that it happened....

The re-run did not go well then which was a pity.......

Controversey an all, it was a good day!!

Big Mig wrote: »
    Gadetra.......to clarify (if you dont mind!! :-)) the second pair were not actually DQ'd...what happened was that they did a false start, but it took a few minutes for this to be acted on - which was not fair at all......it should have been pointed out at the time that it happened....

The re-run did not go well then which was a pity.......

Controversey an all, it was a good day!!

Yep you're right it was a false start. Completely agree re: time to call it - if it isn't investigated or called up before the next pair have gone it should be left as is.

Well done you, I hope you're wearing the medal right now :P

• Advertisement

The team pursuit ended up being really exciting to watch. A couple of combinations fell apart, but it was tight at the top and the winners - wow, it was a real spectacle. The start was super, super tight, it was incredible. Then it just got better from there on in. There was barely daylight between them over the whole 8 laps, and every up and over was spot on. It really as stunning to watch. Sundrive 1 very deservedly got the gold (yeahie!). Take a bow Harrybelafone, National Champion ;):D

Thanks. Nice write up too. Not much I can say really, it feels pretty good that all the work paid off. We were just under three seconds off the national record too (if my maths is right), so if the wind hadn't been as bad as it was, we might have had it. But that's all "what if" scenario. I hope you and your TS partner will be able to do the same next year and knock plenty of time off. It'd be great to see.

Thanks. Nice write up too. Not much I can say really, it feels pretty good that all the work paid off. We were just under three seconds off the national record too (if my maths is right), so if the wind hadn't been as bad as it was, we might have had it. But that's all "what if" scenario. I hope you and your TS partner will be able to do the same next year and knock plenty of time off. It'd be great to see.
    it was awesome, maybe it will take a national record to win it next year and you guys can do that for sure if you keep the training going!

What was attendance like last week?

No idea, I missed last week (after all my talking!) but back this week. I'm hoping there will be enough ladies there for a ladies race! Week before was very quiet, and the one before that.

No idea, I missed last week (after all my talking!) but back this week. I'm hoping there will be enough ladies there for a ladies race! Week before was very quiet, and the one before that.

Yeah I'm the same, only made it to 1 night I think, maybe 2.
    2 weeks holidays in July followed by 2 weeks off sick, I am not looking forward to the punishment!

My brother is home and was thinking of coming over to watch, so just wanted to see if it's worth it for the racing - but I'm sure it'll be fine.

See you later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Doc07

What time roughly is the racing this evening? Hoping to finish work on time to check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Should start a little after 7.

And so it was over :( Great night again, fun as ever. I hung with the first stung out bunch in the scratch, then made a break for it in the kevin but got caught on near the finishing line, I broke in a sort of non-explosive seated fashion, I don't know what I was thinking! I kind of sat up once I seen Sofie looming which I was annoyed with myself about but glad I went for it anyway. I got the last race which made up for it by doing it better. Also people were more tired!

Warming up it was said 'What'll we do on Wednesday nights now?' It's so true! There should be some sort of withdrawal period, where you wind down to fewer races and ease into non racing time :p. There's fun night on next Wednesday? I am looking forward to the possibility of a slow bike race and the like!

Well done Sercpro on your win, super burst there. Also to mini Big Mig who did super well and even got straight back up and raced after falling off, she's made of tough stuff - future track champion in the making ;):D

had to miss tonight, some kind of mild flu I cant shake off.

was really looking forward to the 3up sprints

• Advertisement

had to miss tonight, some kind of mild flu I cant shake off.

was really looking forward to the 3up sprints

They didn't happen in the end :(

The schedule was changed around a good bit last night. The Keirins were put before the 3ups, and by the time the Keirins were over it was getting a little dark so they finished up with each group doing a 6 lap scratch.

It was a really good night though. I only made it to 2 nights of the Autumn league, and I hadn't raced in 6 weeks with the last 2 spent sick so I didn't even train. It wasn't as bad as I expected though.

Pity it's over, but training runs until the end of September so not too bad.

When does it start back next year?

Well done to all. I enjoyed the night and both leagues.
    It's amazing what a difference a year makes on the track from never finishing any of the races last year and getting blown out most of the time to actually finishing races and getting some results.
    I'm going to have track withdrawals when the curtain closes on the season, the only silver lining is the next CX race is not too far away :)

When does it start back next year?[/QUOTE]

March/April as far as my memory can recall.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Bring on next season ....

(when with a bit of luck I'll actually get to race!)

Missed the last four weeks due to holidays and work but looking forward to the fun races next week, time to start practice track standing.

SERCPRO wrote: »
    Well done to all. I enjoyed the night and both leagues.
    It's amazing what a difference a year makes on the track from never finishing any of the races last year and getting blown out most of the time to actually finishing races and getting some results.
    I'm going to have track withdrawals when the curtain closes on the season, the only silver lining is the next CX race is not too far away :)

That's actually really encouraging to hear! I only got back training in February after my youth hiatus of 10 years, so with a winter done this year I'd be happy to perform to your level next year.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Missed the last four weeks due to holidays and work but looking forward to the fun races next week, time to start practice track standing.

Yeah noticed you missing last night, it was your kind of night too with the races that were on.
    Beasty wrote: »
    Bring on next season ....

(when with a bit of luck I'll actually get to race!)

Are you back on your bike yet?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Are you back on your bike yet?
    Was back "on" the bike quite quickly (well OK, far too quickly!). Came along to one of the youth training sessions a few weeks ago and I'd hoped to do a league evening or perhaps next week's "friendly" racing, but medical advice/instruction is I should not race this year

Beasty wrote: »
    Was back "on" the bike quite quickly (well OK, far too quickly!). Came along to one of the youth training sessions a few weeks ago and I'd hoped to do a league evening or perhaps next week's "friendly" racing, but medical advice/instruction is I should not race this year

Pity, really hope you get enough training in to get back down to it for next year.

dc16f00ccae6527e50d2cd6fbaa634c2.jpg

medal presentations are on tonite, doubt any racing will go ahead with the way things look now outside and on the rainfall radar

And like that it was over :(

It was too wet to race, but we had some training instead, Hugh discovered a new breakthrough flying 200 coaching technique with us which was pretty cool but it was really really wet.
    The presentation was lovely, I got best newcomer which I could't believe! So shocked! It took everything I have not to say fúck off out loud. Although I suspect it's mainly cos I keep turning up to stuff :p

My friend Sofie got second in the ladies league which was deadly, she's a real talent and I think will definitely medal next year on the nationals if not this weekend. Exciting stuff!

A soggy end to the league, won't know what to do with myself of a Wednesday evening now! Good luck to everyone on Saturday, I am both excited and scared of what's to come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone have a pursuit cockpit I could borrow (or possibly even buy if the price is right) for Saturday?

I've surprisingly secured a slot for the pursuit, and don't have a pursuit cockpit....and run the risk of looking like an absolute fred....

I have a variety of stems, and clip on TT bars, so even a decent base bar would do....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement