Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sundrive Track League

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Actually I'm almost 100% sure of that, cos I did it for two years.
    You are right. Also covers you for BMX, MTB and Cyclocross AFAI remember.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If there's ever a keirin listed always check the list on the table at the track or during sign on. That should be sorted later in the summer though.
    Checked the situation last night - 2 derneys are "on order". Don't know when exactly they are due to arrive though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

ror_74 wrote: »
    How fast are you guys going on that gearing ? The most I've used is 48 X 16, and struggled to get above 50kph. On 46 X16 the limit would be about 45 for what feels like the same effort.

Others can chime in here, but 50x15 gives me 55km/h+, it depends on how long I've to keep it for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

CramCycle wrote: »

That's what I had thought when paying for my license, since I'm not doing open road racing anymore I figured that was the best thing to do.
    fixie fox wrote: »

I know a guy asked you about the 15 and 16 sprockets, but would you sell all the 14, 15, and 16? Or are you not separating the chainrings and sprockets from one bundle?

Just though I'd ask.

C-Shore wrote: »
    I know a guy asked you about the 15 and 16 sprockets, but would you sell all the 14, 15, and 16? Or are you not separating the chainrings and sprockets from one bundle?
    MOD VOICE: That can be discussed in the relevant thread, bit OT here

MOD VOICE: That can be discussed in the relevant thread, bit OT here

Yes sorry, that was lazy of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭SERCPRO

Regardless of the sprockets or set up that I am using I seem to be regressing as the weeks go by !!! :confused:

A lot of tired eyes amongst the racers last night to be honest. Think it's busy time of the year for a lot.

SERCPRO wrote: »
    Regardless of the sprockets or set up that I am using I seem to be regressing as the weeks go by !!! :confused:

In fairness you're just back off a tough weekend, but next week should see some good improvements for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Glad that's changed; used to be restriced competition, so you had to choose one discipline or get a full competition licence.

nak wrote: »
    Glad that's changed; used to be restriced competition, so you had to choose one discipline or get a full competition licence.

Seems to be, it used to be a restricted license for each with initials to indicate what you had picked eg TK for track. Now its just the one license for all those disciplines. Not sure when it changed though.

A limited competition licence allows you to compete in all domestic competition except open road races. It replaces the Restricted licence choices and also covers Club Competition. In other words you may use a Limited Competition licence to compete in Track, BMX, Off-Road, Time-Trials, Hill-Climbs, Club Racing, Bicycle-polo and Artistic Cycling. This licence is not specific to one discipline, it covers them all. It does not include Open Road Racing.

Thanks SERCPRO, I thought I had seen it somewhere.

Bike-Polo :eek:

Surely we're far enough into the league to introduce sticks and a ball around the track?

Bike-Polo :eek:

Surely we're far enough into the league to introduce sticks and a ball around the track?

Bike polo is played in the basketball courst in Eamonn Ceant Saturday mornings. You'll see the guys playing when we finish Saturday training.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Same. Someone gave me the rather comforting excuse last night that you get slower as you get stronger, before you get speedy. I'll take it!! (excuse no. 43 in the reasons for slowness!! :p)

We could start a separate category for those of us of a backwards style 'progression'. With no competition. One of those every kids a winner type situations. Hee hee! :pac: :pac:

Bike polo is played in the basketball courst in Eamonn Ceant Saturday mornings. You'll see the guys playing when we finish Saturday training.

I must take a look at that, it sounds interesting. I'm guessing that would help immensely for bike handling skills on the track?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkGZeWSPAdg

Apperently it all started in Eire !!!

I must take a look at that, it sounds interesting. I'm guessing that would help immensely for bike handling skills on the track?

Unless you have a stick in one hand and you other on a bar and brake, I doubt it. There's very little handling in the track bar the closeness. and not panicking. Yesterday's crash was another wheel rub.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkGZeWSPAdg

Apperently it all started in Eire !!!

Grass polo did indeed, most of it is hard court now, but I think the guys had a go at the grass before and occasioanlly take it on again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Yesterday's crash was another wheel rub.

There was a crash?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There was a crash?
    In one of the youth races. Not going into any detail, but I ended up taking the kid who came off home as he was in no condition to cycle on the roads - suspect he'll be feeling a bit sore today (he went on to do the TT but after his crash couldn't take his foot out of the pedal - had to do it for him)

Yep. Not too dramatic. Two of the "marshalls" were too busy talking shyte to notice it and had to be roared at to stop the race.

Poor kid, hope they're ok.

Poor kid, hope they're ok.

He's grand. Seemed quite happy about it tbh.

... it happened behind our backs Harry - anyway you may have considered our discussion shyte - I'm sure it was very interesting and important, but can't actually remember the exact topic ...:P

Beasty wrote: »
    ... it happened behind our backs Harry - anyway you may have considered our discussion shyte - I'm sure it was very interesting and important, but can't actually remember the exact topic ...:P

Well, I was counting the number of riders for the umpteenth time and wondering when I'd get to use the whistle again.

He was proud as it was his first ever crash - his attitude changed a little when he was in the car and I took the opportunity to explain a little more about my own recent "incident"!!

Beasty wrote: »
    He was proud as it was his first ever crash - his attitude changed a little when he was in the car and I took the opportunity to explain a little more about my own recent "incident"!!

Why would you scare him like that? WHY?!

Actually, there was a mechanical or two during races as well, so I just wanted to remind anyone that if they have a difficulty, puncture etc. that sort of thing, even though your instinct is to go up the track cos that's what we normally do, don't. When it's safe pull in to the left and off the track. You'll be trying to go uphill if you go right and will most likely fall. I did it two years ago and fell off and slip down the track and still have the scar in my knee from it.

Actually, there was a mechanical or two during races as well, so I just wanted to remind anyone that if they have a difficulty, puncture etc. that sort of thing, even though your instinct is to go up the track cos that's what we normally do, don't. When it's safe pull in to the left and off the track. You'll be trying to go uphill if you go right and will most likely fall. I did it two years ago and fell off and slip down the track and still have the scar in my knee from it.
    As a matter of interest, other than going left onto the thick blue line, should you let a shout as you are bound to slow alot quicker than expected or is there any etiquette other than going left ASAP.

• Advertisement

It's pretty difficult, have tried grass and hardcourt. The grass version in Phoenix Park involved more fitness and you have to ride a polo bike (horrible old things with a teeny gear). Spent most of the time laughing, managed to hit the ball once or twice. Hardcourt involves more trackstanding as the court is small.

As a matter of interest, other than going left onto the thick blue line, should you let a shout as you are bound to slow alot quicker than expected or is there any etiquette other than going left ASAP.

I really don't know, it'd all happen so fast, I don't know what you'd get a chance to do. I mean if you were in the middle of the bunch and your chain went, the noise should let people know, but you can see why it's so important that all your gear is 100%. Chain goes at 50km/h+ coming into the home straight...

Actually, there's a pedal slip in one of the videos I posted on page 1, you can just see everyone swerve.

Côte d'Azur, is the wide blue line btw.

It's pretty difficult, have tried grass and hardcourt. The grass version in Phoenix Park involved more fitness and you have to ride a polo bike (horrible old things with a teeny gear). Spent most of the time laughing, managed to hit the ball once or twice. Hardcourt involves more trackstanding as the court is small.

Another "thing" I would like to try, but still can't track stand.

Côte d'Azur, is the wide blue line btw.
    Just using laymans terms in case no one else knew ;)

Just using laymans terms in case no one else knew ;)

It's one of the reasons training can be a pain initially. No-one is sure what "Stay above the blue line" means.

When I was leaving he seemed more concerned about 'did anyone get that on camera' than on himself !
    Hope he's on the mend.

So Italian Pursuit this week, anyone want to give me the basics? Are we assigned a team at the beginning? And finally, is this where we are chasing another team or is it just a case of our races will be timed and compared.

Thanks

So Italian Pursuit this week, anyone want to give me the basics? Are we assigned a team at the beginning? And finally, is this where we are chasing another team or is it just a case of our races will be timed and compared.

Thanks

2 big groups starting either side of track. Weakest on the front, strongest on the back of each group. Half or one lap efforts on the front, then peel off out the race, 2 left (one from each group) for the finish.

• Advertisement

2 big groups starting either side of track. Weakest on the front, strongest on the back of each group. Half or one lap efforts on the front, then peel off out the race, 2 left (one from each group) for the finish.
    I want Gadetra on my team after she pulled the entire ladies contingent round for a couple of laps on her own last week without losing pace.

I want Gadetra on my team after she pulled the entire ladies contingent round for a couple of laps on her own last week without losing pace.

pfft! There was also the Teresa Train in that race, she did most of it. She's really, really strong and consistent.
    I will be heading out in the weaker end. It'll be weird lining out in the front instead of last when you have to place yourself in terms of speed (as in it's the other way round)! Don't think I will be heading out any menfolk though, maybe next year :D

On a separate note I am guessing there is no training tonight because of the rain? I am still waiting for my shoes to dry out :mad: Not looking forward to heading back out. Feic off rain I've had enough of ya!

gadetra wrote: »
    pfft! There was also the Teresa Train in that race, she did most of it. She's really, really strong and consistent.
    Normally I would agree after consistently being beaten by her but she broke early and it was two of them working together. Once they broke off the front, you swung in to lead your group and were at the front for 85% of your race. In that time despite only one person leading, they couldn't make any distance on you, despite the fact that you were dragging 8 bodies after you.

Normally I would agree after consistently being beaten by her but she broke early and it was two of them working together. Once they broke off the front, you swung in to lead your group and were at the front for 85% of your race. In that time despite only one person leading, they couldn't make any distance on you, despite the fact that you were dragging 8 bodies after you.

Ah I had a good bit of Teresa shaped shelter.

Anyway, must try harder next time!

Another great night of racing. Italian pursuit threw a few, with all the Bs disqualified which was partially my fault I think. Think a few photos were taken. Looking forward to results.

• Advertisement

Yeah really fun night again. Not so many ladies, but great racing as ever. Will have to work even harder when they come back! The Italian pursuit was a mad one until I got my head around it :eek:. But it all worked out in the end.
    There will be another lady racing next week too, my friend is hooked too :D

gadetra wrote: »
    Yeah really fun night again. Not so many ladies, but great racing as ever. Will have to work even harder when they come back! The Italian pursuit was a mad one until I got my head around it :eek:. But it all worked out in the end.
    There will be another lady racing next week too, my friend is hooked too :D

Yes, ladies numbers were well down. All the groups were a little smaller I think. Glad you managed to encourage someone else along.

Another great nice of racing (bar the Italian pursuit for a certain un-named group ;) )
    Here a few snapshots of the early action.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanronan/sets/72157644886936991/

Well that was an interesting night. Arrived to low blood sugars so sat on my own being anti social eating a large/wide roll that I made while sitting there consisting of meat and bread. This wasn't doing the trick so I opened a family bag of Doritos and started munching away. I resigned myself to the fact that my bloods were not coming up in time for the first race so I sat there stuffing my face with dave.o.brien looking bemused by my athletic diet. Oddly enough my bloods started to come back up just in time. I wasn't feeling strong so I sat in the bunch for 2 laps. I started to feel good though, and on the next lap figured the bunch was slowing for some reason, I would go wide and hammer it just to see (up until this point one of the Orwell ladies had been dragging me around). Another Orwellian copped my maneuvre and slid in behind me and I started to push. About 5 metres later my foot popped out, I slowed dramatically but was clear to make it up to the rail and my orwellian friend luckily copped it and ducked in around me. I thought I had clipped back in and decided to play catch up from half a lap back, luckily no one was pushing and I got back on but when I got to the top again I could feel my foot not pulling up so when the opportunity arose I pulled out.

I resigned myself to a restful night but Rockwerchter and others went on the hunt for spare shoes on my behalf (I was quite happy to have the excuse). In the end an SDCC man, just in from the RAS, gave me his shoes and bike, so began the night of swapping over and adjusting saddle heights between every race. I got to try different cleats which was weird (rounded ones), on a super light bike (that felt like it was going to combust under my weight), in shoes that were slightly too big for me. My next race I got put in with Gadetra. The experience was frightening to be honest. i could not tell if I had a flat or if this is what fancy bikes were like, the saddle was as sore as hell but it was good not to have to pack in early.

Next was the 3 and out. 1st and 2nd were taken by well timed attacks and there was no hope when I tried to latch on, then I settled in with a Bray lad (in the Ireland colours) and 3 of us controlled the group. On the last lap, aiming for 3rd, a guy in Garmin colours flew through us and went for it, the Bray lad latched on and I bust myself to catch on as well. Coming round the final corner the Bray guy moved out to go around, I followed suit. Neck and neck to the line but I seen him look at me and knew I was bet, I was tapped out but he had a little left and he just took me by an inch or two.

Finally was the Italian pursuit, which I have to say was fantastic. The entire team worked so well together, could not have done it better. Another SDCC lad took it home for us but everyone done a fantastic job, working really well together, no rookie mistakes (unlike the Bs :p ). The pace was consistent and there were tiny step ups each time. The only mistake made was by myself as I almost let the group drop me on the first bend but luckily I caught back on.

Nice write up

One of the groups in the Bs fell apart after someone jumped when they hit the front and person number two lost their wheel and pulled up, followed by most of the remaining team. Two of us chased back on to rider 1 who immediately pulled out and we were left with two men vs five, I think. So instead of leaving me do 2-3 laps on my own, the other rider worked with me in a normal pursuit. It was a mess, yes, we continued to race after the whole thing was over cos we had no idea how many laps were left. So basically I got all the Bs disqualified.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement