Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sundrive Track League

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Found (or rather someone else noticed) a crack in at the top of the seat collar after the first race, which prompted an early shower. Hopefully will be able to get it repaired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Found (or rather someone else noticed) a crack in at the top of the seat collar after the first race, which prompted an early shower. Hopefully will be able to get it repaired.

Hopefully you'll be able to get it sorted. My heart broke for you man, such a nice frame too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

That's terrible! Hopefully it's an easy fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

CramCycle wrote: »
    Finally was the Italian pursuit, which I have to say was fantastic. The entire team worked so well together, could not have done it better. Another SDCC lad took it home for us but everyone done a fantastic job, working really well together, no rookie mistakes (unlike the Bs :p ). The pace was consistent and there were tiny step ups each time. The only mistake made was by myself as I almost let the group drop me on the first bend but luckily I caught back on.

Which side of the track were you on for the Italian Pursuit?

The B's was quite funny. I completely lost track of what was going on, but I think Harry explained it in that more than 1 person peeled off after a turn and that threw everything.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Hopefully you'll be able to get it sorted. My heart broke for you man, such a nice frame too.

Cheers Harry, I've a real soft spot for it alright. Definitely my prettiest bike.

At least I've some options to explore. Hearing about other people getting similar issues fixed filled me with optimism.

The guy we mentioned last night should be able to fix it easily. Seat post issues seem to be standard for track bikes. Not sure why.

I'm going to drop him an email later on and see what he says.

I was wondering afterwards why some track bikes (well it seems to be just track bikes) use that kind of integrated seat clamp design. If you had a separate collar you'd just have to replace the clamp. There must be some reasoning behind it.

I'm going to drop him an email later on and see what he says.

I was wondering afterwards why some track bikes (well it seems to be just track bikes) use that kind of integrated seat clamp design. If you had a separate collar you'd just have to replace the clamp. There must be some reasoning behind it.

I honestly don't know. Dolan's DF3 had issues with the seat post, as did a number of the other carbon track bikes. I'd guess it's something to do with pressures. Carbon saddle rails are discouraged on velodromes cos the g-forces snap them. We may not be hitting it that hard on the track, but there'd still be some forces involved.

When I get back on Wednesday nights, I always feel like I've been doing this all night (Mind volume):

and what I imagine we look like (mind volume):

I know we don't, but I'm trying to capture the feeling for others

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

C-Shore wrote: »

The B's was quite funny. I completely lost track of what was going on, but I think Harry explained it in that more than 1 person peeled off after a turn and that threw everything.

He was in our group, second last person, I was second person. The whole group gets a point if you win which's cool. Only found that out afterwards. Our group did well, definitely more by accident than design for me. I had a constant 'don't do it wrong gadetra don't do it wrong gadetra' track playing in my head during that race, the peeling off was quite a relief. It just happened I pulled up on the gate side so I got to see the whole thing from the track. Fun!

When I get back on Wednesday nights, I always feel like I've been doing this all night (Mind volume):

<snip>

and what I imagine we look like (mind volume):

<snip>

I know we don't, but I'm trying to capture the feeling for others

The first one is exactly what it feel alike for me racing. Fun and scary at the same time!
    The second video is exactly what the A's actually look like. The swoosh of ye going by is something else. The 3 up sprints and the italian pursuit especially. The win and out same. Actually they're all like that! That young fella is some machine. And he's 15. Someone mentioned that he isn't even a junior yet :eek: He's unbelievable! I can at least say I seen him racing live when he goes to Rio '16 or Tokyo '20 :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The winning side :pac:
    gadetra wrote: »
    He was in our group, second last person, I was second person. The whole group gets a point if you win which's cool. Only found that out afterwards. Our group did well, definitely more by accident than design for me.
    A well trained team would not have had much on us (except for pace but we are Cs), the group was nice and tight and there was some nice back and forth of speed up/clow down/hold the line. The As looked horrifying with Rockwerchters group getting pulled apart so he ended up sprinting pulling a lad around for about 2.5 laps without losing space.

I also forgot the bit in the 3 and out where I vomited Cheese doritos and Lime water into my mouth before the last lap, that was nice.

We had the advantage when I pulled up, but someone pulled out and RW was left to plug the gap. That was all down to placing, i.e. the strongest were not at the back. Main difference I notice between the groups is that Bs and Cs are more evenly matched. There's a disparity of strengths in As, enduro vs sprinters. There are some good sprinters in Bs and Cs and once their fitness comes through they'll be killers.

We had the advantage when I pulled up, but someone pulled out and RW was left to plug the gap. That was all down to placing, i.e. the strongest were not at the back. Main difference I notice between the groups is that Bs and Cs are more evenly matched. There's a disparity of strengths in As, enduro vs sprinters. There are some good sprinters in Bs and Cs and once their fitness comes through they'll be killers.

Ah, I missed that, I thought that the two in front of him had pulled away as i heard someone screaming to slow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭RockWerchter

It was my fault, I just wasn't able to hold the wheel in front of me. We slowed with six riders left, then whoever was fifth last accelerated and I got gapped. Hopefully the legs will be fresher next week...

It was my fault, I just wasn't able to hold the wheel in front of me. We slowed with six riders left, then whoever was fifth last accelerated and I got gapped. Hopefully the legs will be fresher next week...

TBF you never lost anymore distance so therefore essentially sprinted for 2 laps with no cover so there is nothing to be ashamed of

The winning side :pac:

You mean the side that was actually ready when the whistle was blown? :p

That be us :D

Sorry C-shore, its hard to hear your excuses while surrounded by my team mates at the top of the podium :D

On a separate note, thinking of sending Phil Southerland a letter, try and get us some sponsorship and a few free jerseys :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

On a separate note, thinking of sending Phil Southerland a letter, try and get us some sponsorship and a few free jerseys :rolleyes:

Be careful, given your form he may want to sign you up. Get the free jersey's before you jump ship :p

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭SERCPRO

That be us :D

To be very fair to the 2nd C group on the opposite side to the gate, they were caught off guard as the whistle was blown before Stephen had a chance to signal to the starter when you were ready and I was double checking names to pass on to Sean who was keeping tabs on the winners in each race.

SERCPRO wrote: »
    To be very fair to the 2nd C group on the opposite side to the gate, they were caught off guard as the whistle was blown before Stephen had a chance to signal to the starter when you were ready and I was double checking names to pass on to Sean who was keeping tabs on the winners in each race.

True. A lot of it was that we happened to be on the right side of the track near the whistle!

It made the race a bit more exciting, and I think we did well to pull it back to such a close margin.

Hi all....looking for advice on the etiquette for selling bikes on boards. I have an advert for my track bike on adverts and vaguely remember seeing a post in relation to rules for posting.
    Can anyone advise as I'm looking to sell my track bike and would prefer to see it go to a genuine trackie.
    Thanks in advance :)

If you want to leave it on adverts there is a sticky thread in the adverts section where you can have a link and brief description. Read the rules on it first though. If you want to advertise here you have to take it down from adverts and any other site as any off thread dealing will get you carded/banned.

• Advertisement

That's great, thanks.

Hi all....looking for advice on the etiquette for selling bikes on boards. I have an advert for my track bike on adverts and vaguely remember seeing a post in relation to rules for posting.
    Can anyone advise as I'm looking to sell my track bike and would prefer to see it go to a genuine trackie.
    Thanks in advance :)

*tries to remember what SERPCO's bike looks like. Want's bike. Looks in empty pockets. Nawww!* GLWS, what size is it out of curiosity? Acceptable answers are 49-53, or 59+. Otherwise it might fit me and disappointment may happen! :pac:

As a matter of interest for those who may have experience of the Duane Delaney TGP, how long does it go on for?

These are the 4 listed events:
    (1) Flying 200 TT
    (2) Kilo Dash (Max 10 per Heat)
    (3) Scratch Race
    And final event for top 8 in each category only
    (4) Standing Start 500m TT

Lets say 80 to 100 competitors based on the 70 average at the league plus a few from Munster and Ulster.

My reckoning would put it at 2 hours for the Flying 200, an hour for the kilo dash, another hour for the scratch races. With an hour to finish off the final 500mTT and chats afterwards.

I ask as I have limited time so need to notify others when I could expect to be out by, any help appreciated but I am guessing it will be all wrapped up by 5pm?

*tries to remember what SERPCO's bike looks like. Want's bike. Looks in empty pockets. Nawww!* GLWS, what size is it out of curiosity? Acceptable answers are 49-53, or 59+. Otherwise it might fit me and disappointment may happen! :pac:

:( It's a 54" Sloping down tube

• Advertisement

As a matter of interest for those who may have experience of the Duane Delaney TGP, how long does it go on for?

These are the 4 listed events:
    (1) Flying 200 TT
    (2) Kilo Dash (Max 10 per Heat)
    (3) Scratch Race
    And final event for top 8 in each category only
    (4) Standing Start 500m TT

Lets say 80 to 100 competitors based on the 70 average at the league plus a few from Munster and Ulster.

My reckoning would put it at 2 hours for the Flying 200, an hour for the kilo dash, another hour for the scratch races. With an hour to finish off the final 500mTT and chats afterwards.

I ask as I have limited time so need to notify others when I could expect to be out by, any help appreciated but I am guessing it will be all wrapped up by 5pm?

I think we should be good by 5pm tbh. But my memory is not what it was. Just make sure you don't wualitfy for the 500 and go home.

I think we should be good by 5pm tbh. But my memory is not what it was. Just make sure you don't wualitfy for the 500 and go home.

What kind of talk is that !!! 'Don't qualify for the 500 ' !!!
    Go hard or go home ;)

What kind of talk is that !!! 'Don't qualify for the 500 ' !!!
    Go hard or go home ;)

Well, if you're in a rush. Y'know.

Things to remember about this weekend:

Three of the four events are sprint events, so get your "empty yourself" head on.

If you qualify for the 500s and have never used the gates for a standing start do god's sake get advice before you go up. They're easy to use but you gotta get the start system right.

EVERY single point counts. Do not save yourself for a later race nor sit up in any race. Three years ago I sat up on the last lap, exhausted and let two riders pass me. I missed third place by a point.

Well, if you're in a rush. Y'know.

Things to remember about this weekend:

Three of the four events are sprint events, so get your "empty yourself" head on.

If you qualify for the 500s and have never used the gates for a standing start do god's sake get advice before you go up. They're easy to use but you gotta get the start system right.

EVERY single point counts. Do not save yourself for a later race nor sit up in any race. Three years ago I sat up on the last lap, exhausted and let two riders pass me. I missed third place by a point.

Great advice. The gates are an acquired taste.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlTYb3QnmMk

:( It's a 54" Sloping down tube

Noooo!! ;)

I can't make it tonight :( Too much feicin work to do :( :mad:
    Just as well, I can put off lusting after SERCPRO's bike till Saturday!

Great advice. The gates are an acquired taste.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlTYb3QnmMk

I really thought that was going to be the video of the Chilean guy when they could not get the gates off the track.

I really thought that was going to be the video of the Chilean guy when they could not get the gates off the track.

You mean this one !!! viewer discretion advised !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rib_eYLOqdY

Damn sunshine, I was looking forward to an excuse to go home to bed, now its sunny, stupid Irish summers.

Any results from the Duane Delaney? I had to leave early but there were some fantastic races early on, definitely a huge jump in pace from the league.

I can only remember the As, which was ultimately decided on the 500m TTs. Sorry.

• Advertisement

I can only remember the As, which was ultimately decided on the 500m TTs. Sorry.
    How did the As finish up? I left just after the scratch race and I couldn't figure out where that left anyone.

How did the As finish up? I left just after the scratch race and I couldn't figure out where that left anyone.

Scratch didn't change much. Left it as Hugo Brennan, Eamonn Byrne and Jason Howick. Three sprinters. It's very much a sprinter's event, and I mean track sprinters. The scratch was only 15 laps which is nothing in major event terms. Barely longer than Wednesday nights. There will be 60 laps later in the year if I remember correctly.

I had my worst day ever racing on Saturday! I felt like shyte so I wasn't too disappointed, I knew before I got on the bike I wasn't feeling goo, so I was happy just to hand in there. I also had a good run of things not coming out how I intended them to. I think I need to just talk less!! It was still really fun, hard work though. It was lovely and sunny, I have a big red face to show for it! Still not feeling great, but got some good stripe-age going on!

Question about Saturday mornings, the derney sessions. Who can go to these? What are they like/what happens in them? I'd like to give them a go if I could.

I had my worst day ever racing on Saturday! I felt like shyte so I wasn't too disappointed, I knew before I got on the bike I wasn't feeling goo, so I was happy just to hand in there. I also had a good run of things not coming out how I intended them to. I think I need to just talk less!! It was still really fun, hard work though. It was lovely and sunny, I have a big red face to show for it! Still not feeling great, but got some good stripe-age going on!

Question about Saturday mornings, the derney sessions. Who can go to these? What are they like/what happens in them? I'd like to give them a go if I could.

Better to ask a coach about the derny sessions tbh, especially if you've never ridden behind one. You'd also want a bike you can change gearing on. Gearing on rentals is much too small for those sessions.

Better to ask a coach about the derny sessions tbh, especially if you've never ridden behind one. You'd also want a bike you can change gearing on. Gearing on rentals is much too small for those sessions.

Cool fair enough, makes sense. I was talking to Emily, she said she did them on the rentals last year. I'll ask Hugh this evening.

I'll second you there in terms of being disappointed:(
    In saying that I did enjoy the atmosphere of the day.
    If you look at it from a positive perspective, you now know what to expect from the next big competition.
    Remember while you're out there racing there are so many more who are at home sitting on their derrieres! :)
    :)

Cool fair enough, makes sense. I was talking to Emily, she said she did them on the rentals last year. I'll ask Hugh this evening.

Maybe so, but I was spinning out on 50x15 during the warm up last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭RockWerchter

Everyone is different though, I was on a smaller gear than that and thought it was fine for the individual efforts, I couldn't get over 60kmph but it was still a very good work out.

I am definitely getting a smaller gear for the rest of the league, ever since I changed up I can't seem to spin out and feel I am decidedly slower (according to Strava, which is not really reliable on such a small course).

49x16 for the rest of the season I am afraid.

• Advertisement

I am definitely getting a smaller gear for the rest of the league, ever since I changed up I can't seem to spin out and feel I am decidedly slower (according to Strava, which is not really reliable on such a small course).

49x16 for the rest of the season I am afraid.

I was on a 48x16 which I realised to my detriment ,in all the races ,was way too low (81 I think) If I'm still getting slower on a higher gear then so be it ;)
    Age is finally catching up on me !! lol:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement