Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sundrive Track League

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

CramCycle wrote: »
    I am definitely getting a smaller gear for the rest of the league, ever since I changed up I can't seem to spin out and feel I am decidedly slower (according to Strava, which is not really reliable on such a small course).

49x16 for the rest of the season I am afraid.

Is that not a really light gear? I feel like I'm spinning out with a 48x14 in the B's at HHV...

Are there any more open meets between now and the National Champs in August?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

colm_gti wrote: »
    Is that not a really light gear? I feel like I'm spinning out with a 48x14 in the B's at HHV...

I have been under the weather, so that could be it but I know I haven't done much speed wise since I changed gears. Maybe I'll give the 49×15 a shot after warm up.

Thinking of coming back for the international GP?

I have been under the weather, so that could be it but I know I haven't done much speed wise since I changed gears. Maybe I'll give the 49×15 a shot after warm up.

Thinking of coming back for the international GP?

Might look into it, what date is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

48x14 is big enough and I'd not ride it for the league tbh, I usually ride similar for the open events but I only survive about half their full duration. There's a big difference in how the As, Bs and Cs races work in that Bs and Cs tend to hit a speed and just keep that speed going for the full race whereas As tend to be more tactical and there's a bit of looking at each other then a huge jump in speed, then a slow down then a jump then a slow down. First night this year in the As I went 49x15 to make up for a weaker jump, but had to go back to 50x15 the next week. I ran 48x14 in the nationals last year which was a huge mistake, not big enough by far.

The race types make a difference too but it's primarily individual ability. The younger kids there are kicking a$$ on gears smaller and others are running 94" and doing well. Basically as Rockwretcher pointed out earlier.

There's a calendar of events on trackcycling.ie with the next big two being the Olympic Omnium and the International. Olympic is two days on 5/6 July I think or whatever that weekend is and the International is the Saturday after. You have to enter the International online. All events have to be entred in the Omnium but you can pick and choose for the International AFAIK.

Anybody on here who is in the Cs at the mo is well-able for the Bs and maybe could get upgraded at end of this league and should think about those big events.

Might look into it, what date is it?

Details are on the front page of Trackcycling.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

For most people, 49x16 would be too small, but Cram seems to be a spinner. 48x14 is 92" odd; should be plenty of gear for most people. I ran 51x15 this weekend (slightly smaller at around 91.5") and was fine. I'll use 50x15 or 48x14 for the league depending on wind.

For most people, 49x16 would be too small, but Cram seems to be a spinner. 48x14 is 92" odd; should be plenty of gear for most people. I ran 51x15 this weekend (slightly smaller at around 91.5") and was fine. I'll use 50x15 or 48x14 for the league depending on wind.
    I used the 49x16 on the commute this morning and was able to spin without pushing myself over the edge, according to Strava I was spiking at 55-60kmph between lights and at no point did I feel stressed but I also knew that I would not have went much faster if I put the effort in. I can commute on the 49x15 and 14 easily enough but I am slower off from lights and bar the N11 stretch, I never really get upto speed. Trackstanding is also alot easier on the 49x16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Well tonight proved odd in the gearing, the 49 x 16 worked well for the first race but i seemed to have a limit, I was almost spinning out but not quite and then jumping up seemed beyond me, I fear its an engine problem over a gearing problem. I switched up to 49 x 15 for the next few races. In the mile sprint I got myself left up near the fence, after the whistle blew, the pace did not step up at all but as I was on the fence so when I did it wasn't noticed till we rounded the bend and I thought why not and went for it. I panicked almost a lap in and decided to pull up and wait, but I hadn't realised I had actually made a break, unfortunately my slowing up cut my half lap down to a third but luckily the marshal started to shout at me to start moving again. I couldn't get the pace back but apparently I made enough of a gap to hold out to the last bend when one of the juniors rounded me at the corner. Great race but I could not breathe for about 10 minutes after but my stupidity tactic paid off.

In the Keirin it was going handy enough with our lead out slowing to let every one grab on but this time luck was on my side. As he started the ramp up, the person behind me lost the wheel and effectively blocked everyone, I ramped up the speed when he pulled off and only realised half a lap later what had happened. It turned into a copy of the previous race with the Bray Junior taking me on the last corner but it was more luck that left me for second rather than deserved-ness.

Finally the Italian pursuit. It was a shame not to have Gadetra on my team this week and unlike last week where the other team made excuses, it was a simple case the teams where unbalanced this week, it was pretty even until I peeled off and then the Orwellian lady and the 2 bray juniors made mince meat out of the opposition closing from half a lap to under a third with ease.

Great night spectating as well with everyones favourite underage rider on a yellow bike putting the hammer down on the last bend to take a well deserved victory. The sprints where all close calls and the only thing it has to be said where missing was a few couches and popcorn to watch some incredible entertainment in the As and Bs

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Yeah was another fun night racing. I pulled out of the first race with extreme saddle discomfort, and that set a scene for the whole night-I couldn't sit and drive and sitting down from standing was painful too. Having gotten home I have discovered significant bruising, :( but I asked if I could put a saddle and seatpost of my own on Geoffrey and it was OK'd by Sean, just need to get both now!
    I was asleep in the kerin, I watched them go in front of me and by the time my brain told me to move on it was too late. Did well enough in the mile, it hurt though! Also found out today I have a virus thingy so that's my shiney new excuse for slowness!
    Sercpro was great to figure out who you are finally!

Anyone know what size seatpost is on the Dublin Waste bikes by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

gadetra wrote: »

I think it's 27.2mm

I'm pretty sure they're 27.2, but not 100% sure. I have a set of calipers I can bring on Saturday if you'd like to borrow them (just PM me to remind me).

I learned a bit last night. So much more tactics involved in the As, so much more. After racing Sat, Sun, Tues I was afeared my legs wouldn't carry me through the races, but really it was losing people's wheels that did it this time again. A gap developed in the scratch and I overtook a rider to try and latch back on. I forgot to check who I was dragging around and they just whizzed past me as I started to give up the ghost. I should have checked better and pulled up after a half lap and sat on their wheels. It was a very fast scratch so any loss of ground at all was the end the race.

I forgot my first race where I was supposed to be a chariot but had to chase the kid down for half a bloody lap.

There was a close call in the mile when a few dropped in on top of me and I had to evacuate past the cote d'azur before there was a collision and I didn't have it in me after that.

Japanese Keirin I had a plan and should have changed it a bit when someone else went for it but a plan is a plan. It was also a race where you really need to jump hard to get the biggest gap possible and I ramped it up rather than jumped but at least I made it tough for the others.

Win and Out was a case of just getting it right which I kinda did. I jumped harder each sprint and stayed with them. A bit of faith and managed to have enough for a decent sprint at the end. Nowhere near a placing but staying alert and surviving was the aim for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭SERCPRO

Well done to everyone last night.
    It was an exciting night of racing to watch with some very tight line judging decisions.

Yeah was another fun night racing. I pulled out of the first race with extreme saddle discomfort, and that set a scene for the whole night-I couldn't sit and drive and sitting down from standing was painful too. Having gotten home I have discovered significant bruising, :( but I asked if I could put a saddle and seatpost of my own on Geoffrey and it was OK'd by Sean, just need to get both now!
    I was asleep in the kerin, I watched them go in front of me and by the time my brain told me to move on it was too late. Did well enough in the mile, it hurt though! Also found out today I have a virus thingy so that's my shiney new excuse for slowness!
    Sercpro was great to figure out who you are finally!

Sorry about the briefest of waves !

Thanks nak, Hartybelafonte that would be super handy thanks.

SERCPRO wrote: »
    Sorry about the briefest of waves !

God no bother at all, you were a busy man! Deadly photos again :D

Ha ha I won no points in the last 3 weeks - I'm getting worse as I go along ha ha! :pac: :pac:

Ha ha I won no points in the last 3 weeks - I'm getting worse as I go along ha ha! :pac: :pac:

I doubt it, but talk to a few people there if you want to improve. It's not all down to fitness and strength. Still good results for first year. Even the kids have a few years on you.

You seemed to be spinning out in the 2nd last race and for the record the last time I scored any points was the 2nd week and my Duane Delaney wasn't the may west , but I enjoyed the atmosphere and the banter on the day. :)
    Keep plugging away or try out squats for extra strength :)

• Advertisement

Are you still racing the Hoy, or did you move onto something white with Pro Lite wheels?

Are you still racing the Hoy, or did you move onto something white with Pro Lite wheels?

Still racing the hoy, why??

Still racing the hoy, why??

Saw Herne Hill photos of the league and thought I recognised you, obviously not. Sorry.

Saw Herne Hill photos of the league and thought I recognised you, obviously not. Sorry.

Ya got a link?? :pac:

Ah did you see the pics on friends of hhv? VCL rider at the front of the bunch, white bike and deep pro-lites? Bit of chin hair? I wish that was me, that's chaz, he's only 17 and competitive in A races. I'm yet to progress any further than packfill in A races

Ah did you see the pics on friends of hhv? VCL rider at the front of the bunch, white bike and deep pro-lites? Bit of chin hair? I wish that was me, that's chaz, he's only 17 and competitive in A races. I'm yet to progress any further than packfill in A races

THat'd be it. Hopefully you'll take this mistaken identitiy as an compliment.

Damn Juniors with their speed and youth.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So this is the final week of the Summer League

Everything to play for in Grouyp C I see with at least 5 riders fighting it out for the title - not sure if the guy leading that group who's currently practicing his raindance will get his way and he may actually have to race to win the league .....;)

• Advertisement

Yeah if it wasn't for the 5 women in front of me I'd totally have a chance :pac: :pac:

Actually I can see me going down places on Weds :eek:

It has been The Most Fun Ever though, can't wait for the autumn league. I think I am hopelessly addicted :o

ETA Cram you have to do it!

Yeah if it wasn't for the 5 women in front of me I'd totally have a chance :pac: :pac:

Actually I can see me going down places on Weds :eek:

It has been The Most Fun Ever though, can't wait for the autumn league. I think I am hopelessly addicted :o

ETA Cram you have to do it!

I think you're being much too negative about this. I know you're having a laugh, but you've won a race and placed in three others which is a good band of results for a first ever league. That's a very promising start. It's taken me three bloody years and 30kg to get to the As. Time... Time.

I have €20 on Cram so he'd better bloody bring it home tomorrow.

Entries for the Olympic Omnium are open now guys. They need to be in by 30 June. This is a tough two day event with the standard being very high as usual. I'd recommend anyone who wants to take part, but is unsure of standard, to speak to coaches at Sundrive and see what they say. It's an opportunity to try out a few new races like the Points race, IP and the Kilo TT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭leopard trek

Entries for the Olympic Omnium are open now guys. They need to be in by 30 June. This is a tough two day event with the standard being very high as usual. I'd recommend anyone who wants to take part, but is unsure of standard, to speak to coaches at Sundrive and see what they say. It's an opportunity to try out a few new races like the Points race, IP and the Kilo TT.

Hey harry,
    Will there be much competition for the junior scratch?

Hey harry,
    Will there be much competition for the junior scratch?

No, it's seniors only. Juniors is lateer in year. Should be on calendar on the site trackcycling.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭leopard trek

No, it's seniors only. Juniors is lateer in year. Should be on calendar on the site trackcycling.ie

Sorry meant to say for the international gp!

• Advertisement

Sorry meant to say for the international gp!

Tbh, I don't know who has signed up for it so can't say. There's usually a few strong juniors racing. They keep handing me my ass in the league.

Doesn't look like I can make either unfortunately, damn family plans. Beer save myself up for the winter league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Doesn't look like I can make either unfortunately, damn family plans. Beer save myself up for the winter league.

Freudian slip.

Well that was interesting, involved in my first proper race incident in the Devil. When we crossed the line people pinched in and unfortunately one guys front wheel caught my foot (and sheared the clamp straight off) he tried to hold on but his front wheel then went into my back one and I heard him go down, luckily everyone split nicely and I stayed up despite my rear wheel bouncing.

Even happier to see him walk off as we slowly circled around,

SERCPRO was also a beast in the Devil he held the front line and drilled to the line on every lap. Could barely hold onto him for most of it.

Well that was interesting, involved in my first proper race incident in the Devil. When we crossed the line people pinched in and unfortunately one guys front wheel caught my foot (and sheared the clamp straight off) he tried to hold on but his front wheel then went into my back one and I heard him go down, luckily everyone split nicely and I stayed up despite my rear wheel bouncing.

Even happier to see him walk off as we slowly circled around,

SERCPRO was also a beast in the Devil he held the front line and drilled to the line on every lap. Could barely hold onto him for most of it.

The Devil can get super sketchy, mostly cos everyone just sits up once they cross the finish line and those at the back slam into already slowing front. In saying that, it's my favourite race and one of the only types I've won more than once. I misheard the names in ours and thought I was out so eased up, then they told me I was ok so had to chase on again. You'll be deservedly in the Bs next league, yeah?

• Advertisement

Yep another great nights racing. I did not so well, I sat up when I was in the lead in the 4 up sprints thinking that was it and then zoom someone heads up my outside, Damn says I and I get my chase on. Too late, damn! And in the devil, I gave up a bit, same thing happened, thought I had no chance so sat up, should have pushed for the line. Next aim, work on race brain (and all the other things!) and keep pushing. Lovely sunny evening for it too.
    Cram are you the C champion now? Woo too!
    ETA Great to finally chat you SERCPRO, see you Monday!

[QUOTE=Harrybelafonte;90904494You'll be deservedly in the Bs next league, yeah?[/QUOTE]
    Most of us got a warning on Saturday at the race that we would be bumped up into the B's so I think there will be 4 or 5 moving up.
    Yep another great nights racing. I did not so well, I sat up when I was in the lead in the 4 up sprints thinking that was it and then zoom someone heads up my outside, Damn says I and I get my chase on. Too late, damn! And in the devil, I gave up a bit, same thing happened, thought I had no chance so sat up, should have pushed for the line. Next aim, work on race brain (and all the other things!) and keep pushing. Lovely sunny evening for it too.
    Cram are you the C champion now? Woo too!
    ETA Great to finally chat you SERCPRO, see you Monday!
    I think you had second in the Devil but you sat up and even then she barely pipped you. Definitely top 3 in ladies for the Autumn league.

Not sure where I finished in the end as 5 of us had only one point between us going into the last race and there was some confusion on points for one or two riders.

Well done to everyone last night on what was a glorious evening of racing.
    I didn't manage to get as many pics as I normally would of the action last night .
    Here the link .... https://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanronan/sets/72157645291560173/

While I'm on the subject of photos ...did anyone spot any photos from the Duane Delaney? ...I know there was a photographer there on the day.

Well done to everyone last night on what was a glorious evening of racing.
    I didn't manage to get as many pics as I normally would of the action last night .
    Here the link .... https://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanronan/sets/72157645291560173/

Class pictures again SERCPRO. everytime I see myself in them I can't get over how big I look on the bike, or that Goeffrey looks so small, either or. I look like I'm going to eat it :eek: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

While I'm on the subject of photos ...did anyone spot any photos from the Duane Delaney? ...I know there was a photographer there on the day.

Don't know who he was, maybe Baz Keogh who has taken photos there before.Adamstown have some photos from Duane Delaney.

Final results are up: http://www.trackcycling.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/2014_SummerLeagueResult.pdf

Congratulations to all who took part and especially to those who placed, you know who you are.

Tonight's racing is informal and more fun so a perfect opportunity for anyone who has not raced yet to have a go in a more relaxed atmosphere.

I can't make it tonight so enjoy yourselves and the ice cream after.

BB has given up the ghost and I will only be returning from the south so have no idea if I will make it for the racing. Kept Tiernans in the top 10 clubs so am pleased with that.

Just had a look through the results there and…congratulations Cram! Well done, now to dominate the B's :D

BB has given up the ghost and I will only be returning from the south so have no idea if I will make it for the racing. Kept Tiernans in the top 10 clubs so am pleased with that.

Pity, they usually have a celeb to present the awards... Martyn Irvine the last few years. No guarantee it'll be him this league of course.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement