Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another protocol question!

Options
  • 11-04-2014 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I’ve been invited to a birthday party for my friends toddler. Do I need to bring a present and if so what is best to get ()and how much to spend)?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

Hi,

I’ve been invited to a birthday party for my friends toddler. Do I need to bring a present and if so what is best to get ()and how much to spend)?

Thanks.

Hi funkymonkey

I'm having a birthday party for my little fella soon and I have specifically asked people not to bring presents as I've invited my friends for their company, not as a present gathering exercise. Even if I hadn't said that, I wouldn't expect people to bring presents for him. He has way too many toys and clothes already anyway!

That's just my two cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Spend as much or as little as you want or are comfortable doing. For brothers son i got something from the early learning say 30ish euro. I also got a pair of addidas runners for 15ish euro for another person when i wanted to spend less.
    As a new parent now i don't really expect the presents people give and am happy whether its something for a lot of money or some clothes from pennys. All gifts are well received and never expected.
    So don't feel pressurised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

It's probably not expected to bring a present by the parents... However, I would never consider showing up to a toddlers bday that I had been invited to empty handed. A little gift around €15-20 for close family or whatever uou can afford. A couple little books are always good IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

You'd get a nice little Tshirt or something in Dunnes for a fiver or so ... nice to bring something! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

I'd always bring a gift if invited to party. No way id spend €15-€30 though. I generally always get a book or a puzzle/jigsaw depending on age for about €5/€7. I wouldn't expect anyone to spend anymore on a gift for my son and tbh I wouldn't want them to either.

• Advertisement

sari wrote: »
    I'd always bring a gift if invited to party. No way id spend €15-€30 though. I generally always get a book or a puzzle/jigsaw depending on age for about €5/€7. I wouldn't expect anyone to spend anymore on a gift for my son and tbh I wouldn't want them to either.

Perhaps I should've clarified. For a niece or nephew id spend a but more but like yourself for a friends toddler etc prob around the 5-10 mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

Wasn't a criticism :) really hate internet talk sometimes things can get so lost or taken the wrong way.

sari wrote: »
    Wasn't a criticism :) really hate internet talk sometimes things can get so lost or taken the wrong way.

Lol... A bit like a text message sometimes. Lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would spend 10-15 euro on a little outfit. Tesco is great for little outfits.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Clothes can be a bit hit and miss though - if the parent wouldn't normally shop in Dunnes/Tesco/Penneys then you wasted your money as they probably won't put it on the kids. If they DO shop in those places theres a good chance they will already have the outfit. I know they can return it but thats a hassle. I second the idea of books or jigsaws. You can get lovely books and jigsaws in a lot of the euro shops. For under €10 you can buy 3 or 4 books or if they're older colouring books and crayons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

It's coming up on my little lady's first birthday and hope to have a small party. I don't expect people to bring gifts as she has all she needs and more than enough toys etc, however if I'm invited anywhere I'd never turn up empty handed. Like others have said, i don't think you can go too far wrong with a couple of books not costing more than €8-€10.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If they DO shop in those places theres a good chance they will already have the outfit.

Would it matter if they have the outfit already? For me if it is clean it will be worn. If dirty it goes in the wash. Having a few of the same is no harm.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Would it matter if they have the outfit already? For me if it is clean it will be worn. If dirty it goes in the wash. Having a few of the same is no harm.

well I have twins. I got 3 sets (so 6 in total) of the same outfit. If I got more than one (pair in my case) I would rather return it for something different than keep it for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

we often have people in returning 3 or 6 of an outfit.!

I usually buy clothes. but now dunnes and pennys wont do exchanges without a receipt so they are out.

if its family I put the receipt stapeled closed on the gift bag.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

agh that was the best thing about Dunnes,when did they change?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

well I have twins. I got 3 sets (so 6 in total) of the same outfit. If I got more than one (pair in my case) I would rather return it for something different than keep it for the sake of it.

That is such a good idea. Take the stress out of wondering what they are going to wear by just buying multiple copies of the same item of clothing. Genius.

My poor little lad inherited alot of clothes from his cousin so it is not unusual for him to be going to bed in a nice pink baby grow. He doesn't seem to mind so far ;)

That is such a good idea. Take the stress out of wondering what they are going to wear by just buying multiple copies of the same item of clothing. Genius.

My poor little lad inherited alot of clothes from his cousin so it is not unusual for him to be going to bed in a nice pink baby grow. He doesn't seem to mind so far ;)

according to a few 'expert' mothers on rollercoaster.ie us multiples Mammy's are damaging our poor children beyond repair dressing them the same :rolleyes: given that they don't even have enough self awareness to know where their own nose is somehow I don't think they are too traumatised so far! Like your little guy in his pink baby grow! when they're old enough if the express a preference either way about dressing alike then that'll be taken into account. but for now choosing one outfit x 2 is much easier!

Dunnes took back outfits for me without a receipt no problem. they had the tags on though. I had the same outfit x 2 in 4 different sizes! they could have worn the same outfit til they're 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    we often have people in returning 3 or 6 of an outfit.!

I usually buy clothes. but now dunnes and pennys wont do exchanges without a receipt so they are out.

if its family I put the receipt stapeled closed on the gift bag.

We changed heaps of clothes in dunnes and pennys in the past 2 weeks. No receipts but tags on them. Just changed them for bigger clothes. Mostly the same item in a bigger size.

Like your little guy in his pink baby grow! when they're old enough if the express a preference either way about dressing alike then that'll be taken into account. but for now choosing one outfit x 2 is much easier!

Maybe he will prefer the pink when he gets his own choice :D

The range of colours available is awful. It is literally pale blue, pink or yellow. It is very hard to get a strong red or a black for a baby (which is unfortunate for a little Man Utd fan).

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭tempnam

The range of colours available is awful. It is literally pale blue, pink or yellow. It is very hard to get a strong red or a black for a baby (which is unfortunate for a little Man Utd fan).

We got some nice clothes for our 6 month old (at the time) in H&M.

She was dressed in a black top with a cat's face on it & leopard print leggings at one stage! :D

• Advertisement

I find the same with girls stuff. all pale pinks or beige. we're not a beige family! I got some lovely ladybird stuff in littlewoods in coral, another blue dress with red frills and a gorgeous multicoloured flower print jacket with all different shades of blue. I mean its a dress, it doesn't have to be pink for you to know its a girls outfit! pink is lovely but not everything they own needs to be pink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Most places will do gift receipts if you ask them. I generally give clothes with a gift receipt, so if the parents want to change them, they can. For older toddlers, I might give a Smyth's voucher.

Advertisement