Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

re Breakdown cover

Options
  • 11-04-2014 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi Guys,
    Can anyone help, have a converted bus ,we are insured but it does not include breakdown cover in Ireland or continent. Camper is large 20ft long and 8tonne anyone know who would cover us??? Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Big toolbox? Spare belts, alternator reg., glow plug, cable ties, steels and clamps, jump leads, tyre brace, jack, stand, heavy duty glue, RTV, wires, relays, connectors, bulbs, fuel pump, gaffa tape, multi-meter, 2.5ton ratchet, tow rope, brake/clutch fluid, coolant, engine oil, lubricants, Novastop etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Big toolbox? Spare belts, alternator reg., glow plug, cable ties, steels and clamps, jump leads, tyre brace, jack, stand, heavy duty glue, RTV, wires, relays, connectors, bulbs, fuel pump, gaffa tape, multi-meter, 2.5ton ratchet, tow rope, brake/clutch fluid, coolant, engine oil, lubricants, Novastop etc.

mac toolchest, tyres, 1.5m 3/4" breaker bar, up to 74mm impact socket for hub nuts, crank nuts, 700nm torque wrench, compressor and windy gun :pac:

Theres no replacement for recovery especially with anything oddball,

re: adac its a no go according to their terms, read the uk forums for horror stories of inadequate tow vehicles being sent to recover large motorhome.

Das Fahrzeug darf nach Bauart und Einrichtung zur Beförderung von Personen nicht mehr als 9 Sitzplätze (einschließlich des Platzes für den Fahrer)
    haben und
    – eine Gesamtbreite von 2,55 m,
    – eine Gesamtlänge von 10 m,
    – eine Höhe von 3 m sowie
    – eine zulässige Gesamtmasse von 3.500 kg nicht überschreiten.
    Auch für den mitgeführten Anhänger gelten die angegebenen Maße. Alle
    angegebenen Maße gelten einschließlich der Ladung.
    d) Darüber hinaus sind in der Zulassungsbescheinigung

You forgot the portable welder Moodrater. Anything older than >10 years breaks slowly, usually get you home if you bodge it and take it handy. No pointless electronics forcing you into limp mode.
    I only realised I had break-down cover myself last year. Always had myself back on the road quicker than waiting for someone to sort my problems for me. Then again mine's German built :P.

Battery impacts aren't bad these days, just a little weaker than their air equivalent. Take the exhaust off and use that to extend the wrench if you need a breaker bar! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭vinniem

Lads one word for ADAC... Brilliant. Ok know i didnt use for campervan this time, but was In belguim last weekend and broke my right femor. In hospital there a few days they ADAC got me home ambulances paramedics planes the works.luckily my friends drove home camper. Did not know actually had cover for medical till wife rang em and they said yes you have ADAC plus, if u have adac check ur card for plus. Super company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 glenmac

Had to use ADAC last year in Italy they provide an excellent service.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Can anyone point to which policy for breakdown on adac?
    Been looking at the site and cant work it out. or is it an insurance policy that comes with breakdown?

jamesbil wrote: »
    Can anyone point to which policy for breakdown on adac?
    Been looking at the site and cant work it out. or is it an insurance policy that comes with breakdown?

No its like the aa, they do both.

http://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership/

You want adac plus

Thanks for that.
    On that page is says you must be a resident of Germany, if not call the office.
    Do you know if it works out more expensive because I'm in Ireland?
    Also was looking for policy details. My motorhome is 23 yrs old and 6m long. Need to find out if it will be covered.
    Only really need Ireland and UK cover for this year.

jamesbil wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    On that page is says you must be a resident of Germany, if not call the office.
    Do you know if it works out more expensive because I'm in Ireland?
    Also was looking for policy details. My motorhome is 23 yrs old and 6m long. Need to find out if it will be covered.
    Only really need Ireland and UK cover for this year.

Theres a pdf linked at the bottom of the more info page, its missing the stuff about motorhomes though. The weights I gave earlier are from that document but when I looked the policy document has an extra section for motorhomes:

"c) Das Fahrzeug darf nach Bauart und Einrichtung zur Beförderung von Personen nicht mehr als 9 Sitzplätze
    (einschließlich des Platzes für den Fahrer) haben und
    – eine Gesamtbreite von 2,55 m,
    – eine Gesamtlänge von 10 m,
    – eine Höhe von 3 m sowie
    – eine zulässige Gesamtmasse von 3.500 kg nicht überschreiten.
    Auch für den mitgeführten Anhänger gelten die angegebenen Maße. Alle angegebenen Maße gelten einschließlich der Ladung.
    d) Darüber hinaus sind in der Zulassungsbescheinigung I eingetragene Wohnmobile geschützt bis zu
    – einer Höhe von 3,20 m einschließlich Ladung und
    – einer zulässigen Gesamtmasse von 7.500 kg."

So thats motorhomes:
    Max Overall length: 10.00 m
    Max Overall height including cargo / clobber : 3,20 m
    Max Total width: 2.55 m
    GVW: 7.50 t

Contact details
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85248289&postcount=6

• Advertisement

thank a lot for the help.
    Any idea about age of vehicle restrictions?
    I had read a few that dont cover over 15 yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

katyb41 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Can anyone help, have a converted bus ,we are insured but it does not include breakdown cover in Ireland or continent. Camper is large 20ft long and 8tonne anyone know who would cover us??? Many thanks

Search the forum for Corkbuoy ADAC and you should find some posts by me giving details of ADAC

Advertisement