Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aminopyralid manure

• 11-04-2014 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    My usual "supplier" of manure has informed me that he can't supply me with horse manure for another year or two as he's sprayed the padocks with an aminopyralid based herbicide.

However, is there anywhere in the garden that I could use this manure as we have really heavy clay soil that could do with some organic material. So far a google search has ruled out daliah's, and some roses :(, but we have a wide range of different beds including an ornimental grass bed that we started last year.

Hope there's somewhere as it's a shame to waste it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Short answer no. Stay a million miles away from it. Contaminated manure has caused a lot of heartbreak over recent years. Some really sad stories of people having their allotments and gardens ruined. Unlike your guy some farmers have been pretty unscrupulous and knowingly sold it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,677 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thinking about that, I am kinda glad we don't eat horse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

Don't feed ornamental grasses with manure they will bolt and flop over they prefer it on the lean side in fact i have never ever fed any of mine and all thrive. Just choose ornamental grasses for clay soil , likewise the rest of your ornamental plants, less leafy growth less staking.
    Just to say i used to think manure was essential but i haven't used it in years i found it to be counter productive overall in ornamental plants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

Thanks for all your answers. I'll leave it for a year or two. Pity cause I've a bumper crop of rhubarb already from previous drop offs.

Unless I spread it on our "lawn " (buttercup / daisy/thistle mix! ) but another of our four legged friends is trying his hardest to provide that service :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Don't use it anything. I'm not sure if it disappears over time. I wouldn't risk it either way as it stays in the soil for a number of seasons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement