Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster v Connacht, Ravenhill KO 7:05pm, BBC2 NI

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

have app on phone

Seriously. Drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Great match so far,both sides playing some lovely rugby,Connacht just not playing it in the right half of the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Can someone explain why Marshalls second try was allowed? Trimbles lineout wasnt straight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

awec wrote: »
    They are playing far too expansively tonight to be fair.

Great to watch, makes for a good spectacle but they are getting blown away.

Yeah too much side to side stuff until they invariably either make a mistake or get turned over in possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Did trimble use his arms there. Looked like shoulder only to me but only just saw it

WTF Griffin? :pac:

WTF Griffin? :pac:

That was carr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

padraig.od wrote: »
    Can someone explain why Marshalls second try was allowed? Trimbles lineout wasnt straight

Ref said he was happy to award it as it was taken toward Connacht's side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

wtf fionn

Who's Connacht's #4?He's got great hands for a second row.

• Advertisement

Swan Curry wrote: »
    Who's Connacht's #4?He's got great hands for a second row.

Aly Muldowney.

freyners wrote: »
    That was carr

Oops.

Stupid anyway.

Henshaw is Connacht's shining light.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Ref said he was happy to award it as it was taken toward Connacht's side.

But shouldnt that be called as not straight?

Joe Schmidt gets a huge round of applause from the Ravenhill crowd and looks embarrassed. :D

Jackson scores a penalty.

30-5. Half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

We're an absolute shambles defensively, and we're taking far too many risks with the ball. Ulster are significantly better than us.

But.

Was there a directive after that decision went against Ulster last week that the ref has to absolutley ride their opponents this week? It looks that way. Conveniently aswell it's little old Connacht that he's riding.

Marshall's 2nd try was a joke, maybe I'm unfamiliar with the rules though as I thought it was very obvious it shouldn't be allowed. And another Trimble incident, that tackle on Muldoon, it's late and he doesn't wrap his arms. It's a clear penalty and yellow and even when Muldoon asked him to go back to check it he just refused. Oh and the high tackle on Rodney Ah You too which was ignored.

Anyone like to take a guess as to how many penalties we've been awarded in the first half? 0. Ulster are defending well but come on, Connacht have had a decent amount of the ball, how would Ulster not have infringed once? It's a joke. I'd be expecting us to get a few soft ones in the 2nd half now when the game is over just to even up the count a bit but the game is well gone.

As regards performance, Muldoon, Tiernan and he front row have done ok. And Henshaw of course. What a player he is. Just does everything so well. A class act.

padraig.od wrote: »
    But shouldnt that be called as not straight?

Ref's discretion I suppose. The crooked lineout rule is usually applied to throwing lineouts towards your own side to give your team and advantage gaining possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

We're an absolute shambles defensively, and we're taking far too many risks with the ball. Ulster are significantly better than us.

But.

Was there a directive after that decision went against Ulster last week that the ref has to absolutley ride their opponents this week? It looks that way. Conveniently aswell it's little old Connacht that he's riding.

Marshall's 2nd try was a joke, maybe I'm unfamiliar with the rules though as I thought it was very obvious it shouldn't be allowed. And another Trimble incident, that tackle on Muldoon, it's late and he doesn't wrap his arms. It's a clear penalty and yellow and even when Muldoon asked him to go back to check it he just refused. Oh and the high tackle on Rodney Ah You too which was ignored.

Anyone like to take a guess as to how many penalties we've been awarded in the first half? 0. Ulster are defending well but come on, Connacht have had a decent amount of the ball, how would Ulster not have infringed once? It's a joke. I'd be expecting us to get a few soft ones in the 2nd half now when the game is over just to even up the count a bit but the game is well gone.

As regards performance, Muldoon, Tiernan and he front row have done ok. And Henshaw of course. What a player he is. Just does everything so well. A class act.

Without Muldoon and henshaw connacht would be even worse

The Trimble tackle was fine - he tried to wrap the arms. The Marshall try was very fortunate, I thought that quick lineouts weren't allowed to go toward your opponents goal line.

• Advertisement

Ref's discretion I suppose. The crooked lineout rule is usually applied to throwing lineouts towards your own side to give your team and advantage gaining possession.

so its because its a lineout its not counted as forward, thats a rule that can be taken the piss out of!

We are playing well offensively but defensively we are a joke. Lack of a dedicated coach really showing. Ulster are playing well, getting bits of luck and ruthlessly taking advantage of them

Difference between RTEs pathetic coverage last week and BBC's is remarkable, commentary team obviously did their homework

Oops.

Stupid anyway.

Henshaw is Connacht's shining light.
    Wasnt a dig btw, just said id correct as the Commenatator got it wrong initially as well.

Henshaw been pure class, Muldowney also playing really well

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

The Trimble tackle was fine - he tried to wrap the arms. The Marshall try was very fortunate, I thought that quick lineouts weren't allowed to go toward your opponents goal line.

So just for trying to wrap his arms he gets a complete let-off? That's crazy talk.

Difference between RTEs pathetic coverage last week and BBC's is remarkable, commentary team obviously did their homework

BBC always provide great coverage, though they are prone to being a bit one-eyed and very pro-Ulster at times (obviously).

so its because its a lineout its not counted as forward, thats a rule that can be taken the piss out of!

Thats what I was thinking. Brain dead decision by two referees!

• Advertisement

So just for trying to wrap his arms he gets a complete let-off? That's crazy talk.

Not at all. He tried to wrap the arms, he did get them partially wrapped at least. It was a perfectly fine tackle - no question about it.

We are playing well offensively but defensively we are a joke. Lack of a dedicated coach really showing. Ulster are playing well, getting bits of luck and ruthlessly taking advantage of them

Not saying I agree with the call at all, don't get me wrong, just the only reason I can see why the ref would ever ok it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

while I may repeat myself fionn can't defend. all he does is attack. he has been so shown up tonight. that said a hugely entertaining game

I wouldn't say the ref is against Connacht here.He's letting both teams away with a fair bit at the breakdown,Ulster just have players like Henry who are far better at not getting caught (as any good 7 should be).

BBC always provide great coverage, though they are prone to being a bit one-eyed and very pro-Ulster at times (obviously).

Can forgive that, its remit is Ulster not any other team. but the homework done is fantastic. Lines like, Buckley is a LH that likes to run the ball, really shows they bothered to do far more than some basic background, something that RTE couldnt even be arsed to do

• Advertisement

No, I think the referee got it totally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

Not at all. He tried to wrap the arms, he did get them partially wrapped at least. It was a perfectly fine tackle - no question about it.

Ah okay, second viewing it looks fine, you're right.

Can forgive that, its remit is Ulster not any other team. but the homework done is fantastic. Lines like, Buckley is a LH that likes to run the ball, really shows they bothered to do far more than some basic background, something that RTE couldnt even be arsed to do

Jim Neilly knows his stuff as well.

Not saying I agree with the call at all, don't get me wrong, just the only reason I can see why the ref would ever ok it.

Not implying you were dont worry. Its just seems to be a complete piss take of a justification

ouncer wrote: »
    while I may repeat myself fionn can't defend. all he does is attack. he has been so shown up tonight. that said a hugely entertaining game

Dont think fionn has been at fault for any of the tries to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Crikey Joe if you want to keep a profile dont turn up in full Union training gear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

BBC's lack of ad breaks is a massive plus. Never have to see that stupid "I LUV YOU BRYIN" ad.

TRY! Trimble.

Runs the length of the pitch to score the 5th Ulster try.

Unlucky there. But well exploited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Connacht just shooting themselves in the feet constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

i have to salute ulster great team , great trys , great atmosphere.

Ref is letting pure murder away at the breakdown and the lack of faloon/heenan is telling

Buckley was quite clearly on his feet there????

TRY Luke Marshall. Amazing stuff.

That was an unbelievable try. Paddy Jackson take a bow young man.

44-5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

As a connacht fan all I can say is oh my pint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

19.2(e)
    At a quick throw-in, if the player throws the ball in the direction of the opposition’s goal line or if the ball does not travel at least 5 metres to the 5-metre line along or behind the line of touch before it touches the ground or a player, or if the player steps into the field of play when the ball is thrown, then the quick throw-in is disallowed.

Now I'm not posting this as an aggrieved Connacht fan, defensively we have been destroyed tonight.

The post is more to highlight the poor standard of reffing. Both the ref and TMO are clearly totally unaware of the specific rule they were to apply to the situation. To make it even worse the justification they used to award the try is the actual reason it should have been disallowed....how can they possibly get to ref professional games when they clearly don't know the rules of the game??

Yes, it was a very wrong call. I have no idea what he was thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

So Nick Williams can just decide he wants to start a row now and nothing said. That was a penalty reversal all day. We're still on the big zero I think? Suppose it's better than the usual zero we get at Ravenhill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Breakdown is a mess, not protecting our own ball and not helped by inconsistent refereeing. Ref isn't the problem though, we're clearly not good enough tonight and heads went down far too early

• Advertisement

Connacht are losing their discipline.

Advertisement