Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS Passover

Options
  • 11-04-2014 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Just to let you's know, those living in the North of Ireland that the ISS will be passing in front of the moon tonight!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Just to let you's know, those living in the North of Ireland that the ISS will be passing in front of the moon tonight!

at 21:04:10 or thereabouts. Armagh would be about perfect, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭lolie

Two good passes tonight at 9.48 - 9.54 and at 11.25 - 11.27.
    Something else that might be worth looking out for is the Dragon capsule/rocket being launched tonight at 9.58pm(our time) in Florida to bring supplies to the ISS.
    There's a chance it could be seen with the naked eye if it passes over us.
    Launches at 9.58 so look out from about 10.00, it should go the same direction as the ISS but will be a lot dimmer so harder to spot.

Edit: changed time.

Bad news, launch scrubbed no chance to see the rocket tonight
    .@SpaceX launch scrubbed today due to #Falcon 9 first stage helium leak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Just seen the iss pass over...always amazed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Great to see iss, lovely full moon tonight...pity about rocket launch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Just happened to be looking up at the sky and noticed something going on up there. I hope this is it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Whereabouts can I expect to see the ISS in the sky tonight (in Dublin)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Plug your observing location into http://www.heavens-above.com and you'll get the required info from the ISS satellite link.

It'll be something like below, rising in the west at 9.00 and traversing W->E setting at 9.07.

Date Brightness Start Highest point End Pass type
    (mag) Time Alt. Az. Time Alt. Az. Time Alt. Az.
    15 Apr -3.2 21:00:52 10° W 21:04:13 66° S 21:07:34 10° E visible
    15 Apr -2.7 22:37:34 10° W 22:40:46 40° SSW 22:40:52 40° SSW visible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Night-vision recorder set up so hoping to get a shot of the ISS with the star background. Can someone give me a closest time to be ready in my location... swords Co Dublin. From looking westerly.

Tracking it now, but is this site accurate enough ? http://iss.astroviewer.net/

You'll be just a second or two earlier than the times I posted above.

• Advertisement

I was caught out for a second looking too far south, but managed to capture it as it was going by above me. The light pollution from the airport made it harder to get more stars in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Saw it, cool, disappeared behind a cloud after 3 or 4 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

*Disclaimer - I have no idea of the correct terminology *

Did anyone else who was out look up at about 21:20 see what appeared to be an asteroid 'burning up'. Long orange red streak lasting about 3-4 seconds then getting brighter then finally disappearing? Was definitely not just a normal 'shooting star'. I was looking North From Monkstown, Co. Dublin ( Toward Howth )

TheVoodoo wrote: »

Did anyone else who was out look up at about 21:20 see what appeared to be an asteroid 'burning up'. Long orange red streak lasting about 3-4 seconds then getting brighter then finally disappearing? Was definitely not just a normal 'shooting star'. I was looking North From Monkstown, Co. Dublin ( Toward Howth )

There was a red coloured light and a streak that broke up but I just assumed it to be a meteor, as this was the time I was recording the ISS. My sister actually pointed it out to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

zenno wrote: »
    There was a red coloured light and a streak that broke up but I just assumed it to be a meteor, as this was the time I was recording the ISS. My sister actually pointed it out to me.

Ah I see. Thanks, as someone who has no idea of anything like that it seemed very interesting (and very large)!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

TheVoodoo wrote: »

yup, my bro said he saw it from Belfast--no sound though so probably quite a few miles away

Anybody else notice the brief (2/3 seconds) faint light of a north to south satellite at about 9.02 crossing in front of the ISS path at about 20 degrees ahead?

The ISS will be over Ireland again very soon, I wonder if it will still be visible a bit as it's getting duller. http://iss.astroviewer.net/

I just got the little feller there again. Watch in half-screen mode on 720p, it gets a bit noisy on full-screen but it's reasonable enough to see.

Bright pass of the ISS tonight at 9.49 - 9.54.
    Also look out for the Dragon spacecraft which launched to the ISS earlier this evening, should pass overhead about 10.10/10.15.
    Going same direction as the ISS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭brevity

Just spotted it go over there. Great night for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Yeah saw both of them clearly, used binoculars too.Beautiful clear skies tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

ankaragucu wrote: »
    Yeah saw both of them clearly, used binoculars too.Beautiful clear skies tonight.

Will the rocket be visible tonight?

fryup wrote: »

Should be visible if the sky's are clear but very hazy out now.
    Don't know the exact time yet but will post here if i find out.
    The ISS should be visible tonight at 9.00 and again at 10.38, West to east.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

fryup wrote: »

I'm down in Limerick now for the night, getting a bit cloudy but it may clear after night fall.
    Heading to Kerry tomorrow for a few days, hoping for clear skies in the newly famous Dark Sky Reserve!

The Dragon spacecraft is due to pass over about a minute or so ahead of the ISS.

Edit: Dragon is about 1 minute ahead of the ISS not behind.
    The next pass at 10:38 is low down so may be difficult to spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I use heavens-above and ISS Detector (Android) for this but only heard about the 9pm pass on twitter. Where else can I get reliable pass info, because that was a spectacular pass and it was listed as invisible on heavens-above when I checked afterwards, and it wasn't showing up on the ISS Detector App either.

Prenderb wrote: »
    I use heavens-above and ISS Detector (Android) for this but only heard about the 9pm pass on twitter. Where else can I get reliable pass info, because that was a spectacular pass and it was listed as invisible on heavens-above when I checked afterwards, and it wasn't showing up on the ISS Detector App either.

I normally just use Heavens Above to check for the ISS.
    Even if a pass is invisible on it once it's a high up pass and it's dusk outside then there's a good chance it's visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Hoof_Hearted

I've signed up for alerts here, handy! http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Prenderb wrote: »

Looking into this again this morning, it seems that the app uses Heavens-Above information so once I've unchecked the invisible/visible toggle that should sort me out.

I've just got the NASA one also, thanks hoof-hearted!

Advertisement