Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements for Dogs

• 11-04-2014 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭

Have seen mention of a few different supplements people give on here to their dogs e.g. salmon oil, cod liver oil tablets, evening primrose oil tablets.

I'm just wondering what different supplements do people give to their dogs and for what reasons?

I myself give salmon oil to my Labradors twice a week. That is for their coats and joints. I also give raw eggs twice a week and some Omega 3 fish oil tablets. Again mainly for their joints and coat.

One item I've had trouble tracking down is pumpkin seed oil. I saw Dogsfirst reckoned before that Lidl stocked it but my local Lidl don't. I also tried a local healthfood shop but they didn't have it. I've been told its a good for keeping worms at bay if given regularly.

Maybe we could all pick up some knowledge/tips from each other. For example, I just saw on another thread mention of giving a bit of All Bran twice a week to help with digestion issues.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I give mine fish oil, probiotics, gloucosamine and coconut oil - coconut oil is so good for so many things its amazing stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I thought it was the actual pumpkin seeds that were recommended for worming, but it has to be the unsalted ones. I didn't even know there was an oil :) If you dog doesn't like the seeds, maybe grind them up or chop really finely and add to the food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Good Idea :

My cocker is fed “taste of the wild” food each day…

but here are the “supplements” I give him

1.All bran (twice per week just to keep him regular although he’s pretty regular) was recommended by my vet when two years ago he needed his glands emptied (only happened once in his life). Since using all bran we’ve haven’t had a reoccurrence.
    2.Liver once per week (he had blood tests a few months ago, she mentioned his iron was a little low), he adores it. he’s getting further blood tests at the end of April, so hopefully the liver has helped.
    3. Salmon oil, one tablespoon each day for his joints/coat etc. (been giving him this for 7 years now).
    4.Arthraid soft chews (one per day to help with his joints, his shoulders aren’t the best lately) – recommended by his vet
    5.I’m starting him on : http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/supplements_specialty_food/bones_joints/luposan/129094 as soon as it arrives I’ve heard great reviews about it, again for his joints etc.
    6.He gets sardines in oil once per week, again he loves the taste and the oil is great for them.

He looks great for 9 years of age (on the 26th), he has a few grey hairs but when people ask me his age and I say 9, they are shocked and say “he’s in great nick for 9”.
    BUT his only issue is his joints…. he has been well exercised, swimming, running etc. for his whole adult life. He’s very active and LOVES it BUT I can majorly see he’s slowing down which is really sad for me, I can’t imagine him getting old.

While I have given him salmon oil since he was 2, I recommend you give it EVERY day not just every few days and I'm sorry I didn’t start him on the luposan when he was 5/6, it may have made a difference for him. He’s not in pain or anything yet… I can just see him slowing down that’s all.

He will always be a pup in my eyes though… he even answers to the name “pup” (not his actual real name... but his favourite one he has what i like to call selective hearing.. when i say pup he knows he's cute and will get something nice etc... )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I give my Shih Tzu psyllium husk for his glands. It's soluable fibre so no problems with his stools...

He also gets a 1/4 teaspoon of cod liver oil daily for his joints and coat. I sprinkle both over his food. And I call mine Puppykins!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

muddypaws wrote: »
    I thought it was the actual pumpkin seeds that were recommended for worming, but it has to be the unsalted ones. I didn't even know there was an oil :) If you dog doesn't like the seeds, maybe grind them up or chop really finely and add to the food.

Where do you buy the pumpkin seeds? Will normal supermarkets like Aldi, Tesco, Dunnes have them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Lemlin wrote: »
    Where do you buy the pumpkin seeds? Will normal supermarkets like Aldi, Tesco, Dunnes have them?

Either buy pumpkins, use the flesh yourself and keep the seeds :D although I don't think there's many around at this time of year, or probably health food stores, as you do need the unsalted ones. You could look in the whole food section of the supermarkets though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Got the pumpkin seed oil that time in Lidl

Use salmon oil twice weekly

Natural youghurt for the pro-biotics

Raw Eggs every now and then

Keep meaning to get the coconut oil? Any ideas from where... Or how often to give it?

The best by far is a big raw meaty brisket bone every few weeks. Not a supplement I know. But my, his teeth are in great condition!

Hooked wrote: »
    Keep meaning to get the coconut oil? Any ideas from where... Or how often to give it?

Health food stores stock it. Or try any Asian food store. They definitely have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I'm curious as to why you are interested in natural remedies for deworming Lemlin and what types of parasites you're looking to target by using pumpkin seeds. Considering all parasites have varying modes of metabolism and lifecycles, with some e.g Lungworm and Toxocara canis spending a significant portion outside of the gastrointestinal tract that the amino acid in the seeds wouldn't affect.

It's an interesting debate and I would like to see scientific evidence to back up a lot of herbalists claims, which there isn't as the two areas are on opposing teams. If my dog was a snail eater (intermediate host of Angiostrongylus vasorum) there's not a chance I would be relying on herbal remedies considering this parasite can be potentially fatal. While I appreciate that drug resistancy is an issue as well as toxicity if used contraindicated, I've yet to read convincing enough information to sway me from using scientifically researched pharmacologic anthelminthics.

I'm not a naysayer of natural remedies but in this case and knowing the complexity of many parasitic modes of actions, this is not one I would be going the natural route for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,250 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

anniehoo wrote: »
    I'm curious as to why you are interested in natural remedies for deworming Lemlin and what types of parasites you're looking to target by using pumpkin seeds. Considering all parasites have varying modes of metabolism and lifecycles, with some e.g Lungworm and Toxocara canis spending a significant portion outside of the gastrointestinal tract that the amino acid in the seeds wouldn't affect.

It's an interesting debate and I would like to see scientific evidence to back up a lot of herbalists claims, which there isn't as the two areas are on opposing teams. If my dog was a snail eater (intermediate host of Angiostrongylus vasorum) there's not a chance I would be relying on herbal remedies considering this parasite can be potentially fatal. While I appreciate that drug resistancy is an issue as well as toxicity if used contraindicated, I've yet to read convincing enough information to sway me from using scientifically researched pharmacologic anthelminthics.

I'm not a naysayer of natural remedies but in this case and knowing the complexity of many parasitic modes of actions, this is not one I would be going the natural route for.

To be honest worms aren't a huge problem with my dogs. All the meat they eat is generally fresh and clean or has been frozen so any parasites have been killed.

I'd just prefer the idea of using a natural remedy rather than pumping them full of chemicals every three to six months.

I've also heard the pumpkin seed oil is good for conditioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

cocker5 wrote: »
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/supplements_specialty_food/bones_joints/luposan/129094 as soon as it arrives I’ve heard great reviews about it, again for his joints etc.[

Go for the pellets next time - I find them better ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

tk123 wrote: »
    Go for the pellets next time - I find them better ;)

Thanks tk123...

I did actually order the pellets as they are stronger etc ;)
    Hopefully they will arrive next week ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Hooked wrote: »
    Got the pumpkin seed oil that time in Lidl

Use salmon oil twice weekly

Natural youghurt for the pro-biotics

Raw Eggs every now and then

The best by far is a big raw meaty brisket bone every few weeks. Not a supplement I know. But my, his teeth are in great condition!

SUPERValu stock 2 types of coconut oil - important to get the cold pressed/extra virgin type - its E6 or E6.99 for a large tub. Introduce it slowly, because it can cause diarrheoa (sp?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Another way of giving your dog coconut are these treats from Soopa (Irish company):
    www.dogfooddirect.ie/modules/shop/products/soopa-coconut-dog-chew/

Soopa also have sweet potato and papaya flavours which have supplementry benefits too. The treats are low fat.

(Would the oil still be more effective?)

I also use Yumove for joint care which has green lipped mussel - a bit like Lupsan from Zooplus.

There is already a long-ish list of supplements mentioned in this thread. I had to change my older dog's diet last year and some of the dry foods have some good stuff added to it already. Adding supplements like Salmon oil are more potent but all these extra supplements increase the monthly food bills. For example my dog is on Barking Heads senior and the food has these included:

(High Omega 3) Trout
    Salmon Oil
    Seaweed
    Hip & Joint Care Pack++ (Glucosamine 1,000mg/kg, MSM 1,000mg/kg, Chondroitin 700mg/kg)
    Prebiotic MOS, Prebiotic FOS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Some advice please. Got tinned sardines in sunflower oil today for my JRT. Decided to start giving her them after reading about them in the forum. I googled about giving them to dogs and some websites are saying you should only give sardines that are packed in spring water. I don't want to do anything that would harm her but as I am a loving but slightly clueless Mammy I am hoping somebody can set me straight. Also do you give her the sardines with her normal food or does it matter when she gets them. Thanks

Sardines in oil are fine as the oil will help her coat. But I'd drain them well, as there's also the risk of diarrhoea. Chop up a couple, pop them in with her usual food and see how she gets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Thanks so much for that. Really appreciate it.

Advertisement