Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drimnagh / Brickfield Park

Options
  • 11-04-2014 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Looking at Drimnagh as an option to buy a house, around Brickfield Park - i.e. the end closest to town.

If anyone has info on Drimnagh in general, where's good / where to avoid - if there is anywhere in particular?

Reasonable replies please - we've all heard about the Polish lads that were stabbed & the Crumlin/Drimnagh 'feud' - I'm more interested in what it's like to walk around, and what are the levels of petty crime / anti social behaviour.

I've heard from a few people who rented around there, but not so much from anyone who would have already bought in the area, and have lived all over Dublin myself from Ballsbridge to Finglas - seen trouble in each place.

Thanks in advance!

PS - I should add, it's more of an investment than anything, plan on living there for a couple of years before leaving Dublin and having this to rent out. Rents have always been reasonably strong in the area with the proximity to the luas and town, wouldn't be making this decision if it involved kids - I'm a country boy and my children will be too!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

I rent in drimnagh at the moment! It is very handy into town and there are lots of conveniences like banks, supermarkets etc. I live above brickfield park and I like it here, neighbours are nice, not too busy. I have never had an issue, I do find it strange that there are a lots of youths hangging outside on any night of the week but I have never had any issues with them, they tend to keep to themselves! Also, houses are built like tanks, ours is a terraced house and I have never heard any of the neighbours at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I live right next to the childrens hospital. The biggest issue I have is people refusing to pay for the parking in the hospital and clogging up our street on a daily basis. That and the rubbish they throw from their cars. The place is unsightly most of the time because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Parking at the Crumlin Hospital is a huge problem and does cause congestion and problematical parking in surrounding estates with gates blocked people causing delays trying to enter the usually full carpark etc.

The Luas should have been routed to run by the hospital in order to allow public transport access to the hospital but often sick children cannot walk far when being taken to the hospital.....

Huge amount of care and cleaning and service staff employed in the hospital so no one complains locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

The one that gets me is people not picking up after their dogs, that paths are a mess on the best of days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

Grew up in Drimnagh and lived there most of my life. It has a reputation wholly undeserved. A reputation created from an extremely small number of bad apples.

There are roads that are better than others. Drimnagh is divided up into private and council housing. Private houses were three beds with three front windows. Council housing was two and three beds with two front windows. These differences typically signify whether the area is a "bad" or "good" part of Drimnagh.

The areas around Brickfield are usually council houses. So not in the better part of Drimnagh which is to the further west.

Besides all that nitpicking you cant go wrong with Drimnagh. Lots of gentrification happened during the boom. We sold our unremarkable three bed house for something like 330,000 in about 2005.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,884 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The hospital will be closing, eventually; which you'll need to take in to consideration on two fronts - traffic and congestion etc should reduce but the amount of transient workers will also reduce too, will have some impact on rental potential. Being close to the city and the Luas line should reduce that a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 misterwoods

Thank you all for the replies - much appreciated.

After spending a lot of time around the area over the last couple of weeks I don't think we have anything to be too uncomfortable about. Plenty of youths around at night, particularly on weekends, but nothing unusual there really.

People seem pretty friendly in general, and overall it's very quiet in the evenings.

I've also managed to track down a couple of colleagues who live at that end of Drimnagh and they have affirmed all of your fairly positive comments.

From what I understand the HSE have bought the large site on Davitt Road, and the intention is to link that to James'. Not sure in what context, or if/when that will happen, but it might ease the traffic & congestion on the Crumlin side.

Rentals seem very strong there at the minute - wondering what they would have been like say 4 or 5 years ago when things took a bit of a downturn??

Advertisement