Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adult education VTOS & signing for credits?

Options
  • 11-04-2014 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi just wondering if anyone signing for credits done a VTOS course if so did u get the travel allowance? I'm hoping to start a childcare course but cannot get a grant for full time as already have done another fetac level 5 course came across the VTOS but don't think il get any of the travel expenses. Been trying to ring fas but nobody is answering the phone! My only other option is to get a student loan and go back full time....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Yes you do but I don't think it's that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Cait87

Nobody has a clue. The social welfare are bound to reject you getting any help during a futher education course, even if you're unemployed for 7 years, the people at fas havent got a clue neither does citizens information. (my experience)

Bunch of unprofessional idiots. You can't go to college cas your payments will be cut unless you a lone parent they get ahead of the game.

There is nothing for single people expect to get really ****ing drunk, and waste our time until we do pop out babies left right and center.

thats how I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Cait87 wrote: »
    Nobody has a clue. The social welfare are bound to reject you getting any help during a futher education course, even if you're unemployed for 7 years, the people at fas havent got a clue neither does citizens information. (my experience)

Bunch of unprofessional idiots. You can't go to college cas your payments will be cut unless you a lone parent they get ahead of the game.

There is nothing for single people expect to get really ****ing drunk, and waste our time until we do pop out babies left right and center.

thats how I feel.

Save your money from the drink, I'm sure that will pay for your travel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

What line of work are you looking for?

dar100 wrote: »
    Save your money from the drink, I'm sure that will pay for your travel

not drinking sitting in on most nights, expect for karate and various exercise classes , I'm trying to get into fulltime education, applied last year and this year...still waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Hi, moving your thread to Mature/Non-Traditional Students. Folks here might have some answers for you.

not drinking sitting in on most nights, expect for karate and various exercise classes , I'm trying to get into fulltime education, applied last year and this year...still waiting.

Where have you applied to? There are many VEC colleges out there, it is also possible to get some of these courses outside of colleges on a part time basis

theres a waiting list for Vtos. i know that a few of my friends got in but I think its limited to only the first on the list or few people for one course . there is inchicore part time for fitness, went for an interview last year but the course director said its for people out of prison etc

Last week I was told the rules have changed by a guidance councilor, was looking at citizens info web page but can't find anything that helps as of yet.

Applied for Pearse college for part time, one of the only colleges that makes it clear for peeps on JA. thats a two year part time. Really Hoping for crumlin though it may take another two years later.

some colleges you have to pay a ****e load of money to like DBS.

Pearse college looks like my only chance as it makes it clear.

ArtyC wrote: »
    What line of work are you looking for?

I was looking for any retail for a long time. But I don't want horrible bosses ordering me to do stupid useless stuff. I don't mind lick the customers arse but can't lick horrible managers arse. there are nice managers out there though.

I'm looking to go into sport/community/activity sort. as I'm really good with teens and kids, I would volunteer but not in GAA. I hate it. Now that I think bot it I might contact a youth club but I know I have to be veteed and refernced etc.

If you're looking to get into that line of work then the youth and community course in liberties would be ideal for you.

They also run it at degree level in NUI Maynooth.

I done the liberties one, a good few years ago, PM me if you want details

• Advertisement

dar100 wrote: »
    If you're looking to get into that line of work then the youth and community course in liberties would be ideal for you.

They also run it at degree level in NUI Maynooth.

I done the liberties one, a good few years ago, PM me if you want details

I had a look, Thanks great! Will apply for liberties too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Pearse college looks like my only chance as it makes it clear.

i went there and got the vtos. limited number of vtos places. Make sure you mention in the interview you are looking for vtos. Also it is only €20 a week extra from JA

gline wrote: »
    i went there and got the vtos. limited number of vtos places. Make sure you mention in the interview you are looking for vtos. Also it is only €20 a week extra from JA

Thanks. I just hope something happens this year. I'm sick of sitting on my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Thanks. I just hope something happens this year. I'm sick of sitting on my arse.

Same thing happened to me when I ended up going to Pearse college, just had enough of not doing anything.

Advertisement