Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Man City. Sun April 13th KO 13:37 SS1, Important Mod Warning in OP.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Because sub's are perfectly interchangeable while maintaining the harmony of the first team?

Face it. No Europe is a big weight off liverpools neck, especially at this stage.

Ok we'll face it.....and win the league.....and not give a ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

City to win it comfortably in the end. I'd say 3 - 1. Far superior team to Liverpool. If they turn up, they'll win.
    The bubble is about to burst my Liverpool friends
    City should win by a couple of goals with Aguero back in the team. Liverpool will have to look at getting points from other games to try secure that fourth spot.
    BNMC wrote: »
    Can see nothing but an easy win for City here. Liverpool's over-reliance on Suarez will be shown up as I feel Kompany will have him in his back pocket just like he did in the first game between these sides. He even nicked a goal in that game.

Midfield will be a mismatch, Gerrard doesn't have the legs or know how to even match Yaya Touré, who in my opinion is the best player in the EPL at the moment.

Easy win for City. Maybe 4-1.

You know the thing is, I get these posts. I don't quite believe it yet either. In title run ins year after year teams drop the strangest of points down the stretch. Norwich is a massive game. Hopefully Palace and Newcastle will be of equal 'must win to win' importance. There are still a few outs for those desperately hoping we don't win it.

Though, just so we're clear, sentiment like this is what would make a win (if we do somehow get over the line) all the sweeter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

dirtyden wrote: »
    I had a look at transfer spend of premier league teams out of curiosity. Stoke have the 4th highest net spend at 91 million over the last 5 years, just a few quid behind united and more than Liverpool. Chelsea and city are way way out in front.

Stoke's net spend is misleading because their volume or average purchase price is so much lower. There is a significant difference between a net spend of £90m after you buy £400m and sell £310m as opposed to a net spend of £90m when you bought £150 and sold £60m.

I'm not saying net spend isn't an important indicator mind - it absolutely is. But as with all statistics context is everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Stoke's net spend is misleading because their volume or average purchase price is so much lower. There is a significant difference between a net spend of £90m after you buy £400m and sell £310m as opposed to a net spend of £90m when you bought £150 and sold £60m.

I'm not saying net spend isn't an important indicator mind - it absolutely is. But as with all statistics context is everything.

Fair point but it does highlight some of the poor business done by Stoke under Pulis.
    I remember him complaining after being beaten by Arsenal that Arsenal had Monreal playing who cost £12m and Stoke couldn't compete with that.
    Part of the reason was because of Wenger's shrewdness in the market. Stoke were a bit like Villa under O' Neill, overpaying on both fees and wages and then getting very little value in the sell on.

Anyway, I'm going off topic with this, no need to do so after a heart attack day that was that game :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Im so happy :D

Its in Liverpools hands now YNWA!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

If demichellis was in kompanys position for the first goal where he got done and the 3rd where he miss kicked it we would have to endured a barrage of ****ty internet memes and how awful he was. Was miles the better defender today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

mikeym wrote: »
    Im so happy :D

Its in Liverpools hands now YNWA!!!!

Technically in chelseas hand, liverpool can afford a draw/loss imo still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

klose wrote: »
    If demichellis was in kompanys position for the first goal where he got done and the 3rd where he miss kicked it we would have to endured a barrage of ****ty internet memes and how awful he was. Was miles the better defender today.

No doubt. Kompany had a shocker today. Not saying Demi is a better player overall but he definitely had a better day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

To be fair, he's been playing well this past few weeks. I was dreading him up against Suarez and/or Sturridge today, but neither of them got a kick. In the end, Suarez had to revert to type. Vinnie had a mare today. Down to his injury? Who knows? He certainly wasn't anywhere near his true form, that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Some body pinch me.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

blueser wrote: »
    To be fair, he's been playing well this past few weeks. I was dreading him up against Suarez and/or Sturridge today, but neither of them got a kick. In the end, Suarez had to revert to type. Vinnie had a mare today. Down to his injury? Who knows? He certainly wasn't anywhere near his true form, that's for sure.

How do you mean Suarez had to revert to type?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Eight Ball wrote: »
    How do you mean Suarez had to revert to type?

Win at all costs...what a man.

He didn't dive after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He was plenty asleep himself for the first. Coutinho drifted in past him to a position where sterling could have rolled it to his right for coutinho to tap in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

rarnes1 wrote: »

No he did, the commentators on sky said it so it must be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

dirtyden wrote: »
    I had a look at transfer spend of premier league teams out of curiosity. Stoke have the 4th highest net spend at 91 million over the last 5 years, just a few quid behind united and more than Liverpool. Chelsea and city are way way out in front.

Sunderland are the 7th highest spenders in Premier League history since 2003 behind only City, Chelsea, Liverpool, United, Spurs and Villa. Disgraceful really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Nope, had a standup row with a mate over it, I thought the trailing leg caught him but he was not having it. Just had a text from him there. MOTD2, great show :)

Nope. He made a meal of it though. Although his second was cast iron. Perhaps the ref was trying to balance things out.

Amazing atmosphere at Anfield today and thats just from watching it on the tv. Being there id imagine would have the hair standing on the back of your neck for days.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Suarez was caught but he definitely did dive to exaggerate contact, much as Dzeko did in the first half.

Nope, had a standup row with a mate over it, I thought the trailing leg caught him but he was not having it. Just had a text from him there. MOTD2, great show :)

Should have had a pen too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Just seen this on my facebook timeline haha

1237663_1416435378618569_1641241285600447224_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

ASOT wrote: »
    Just seen this on my facebook timeline haha

1237663_1416435378618569_1641241285600447224_n.jpg

Brilliant give that man a medal (obviously not a premiership winners medal).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

No he did, the commentators on sky said it so it must be true.

No Gary Neville said it and they all followed suit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

So wait, Suarez didn't dive? Haven't watched MOTD yet so only saw it on replay in the pub and I thought we had really got away with one (Suarez not getting a 2nd yellow).

My view on the other contentious decisions:

Dzeko penalty appeal: Very 50/50. If it had been given it would be hard to complain, because Sahko does not touch the ball and impedes the player in the box. However, contact is minimal and Dzeko completely exaggerates it in order to draw the refs attention to the infringement (as most players would, lets be honest). Can also see why it wasn't given. Ultimately in such a massive match, such a big decision, the ref is going to want to be sure and this is England, not Spain afterall. But it arguably was technically a penalty.

Suarez penalty appeal: See above. He is technically 'fouled' (impeded) by Kompany who has his arms all over him. However, he goes down easily and it would have probably been soft.

Sturridge penalty appeal: Another difficult one, as Sturridge is taken out before the ball. However, Zabaleta's body position is such that it could be argued that he has got between ball and player and is in fact now in possession of the ball, in which case Sturridge is colliding into him... (a bit like Suarez's strength in knocking off the City player just before setting up Sterling for the 1st goal). I feel this probably wasn't a penalty.

Skrtel handball penalty appeal: Many will disagree with me, but for me it is just not a penalty. The rules clearly state that the hand has to be deliberate, and it looks nothing of the sort from Skrtel who is climbing to win the ball with his head and it inadvertantly comes off his hand. At the same time, we see many penos given for accidental handballs (far too many imo, and the rule is generally badly and harshly interpreted). I will have to watch it again, but on first viewing I think it's just a muddle and his hand gets in the way. There is no appeal from the City players and for me it would have been very harsh.

Henderson Red: Feel so sorry for the guy, and I really hope we don't look back on this moment thinking that it might have cost us the title (his role is incredibly important in the team). It was not malicious, but ultimately it was the right decision - in this day and age you can't go in like that, and referees have generally been very consistent with tackles like this, so no complaints.

I think they are all of the major talking points. Maybe watching MOTD later I will revise some views, because it looks like I may have got the Suarez one wrong. Though you would expect Clattenburg to either give the free or give a yellow there perhaps, so it's a strange one. Maybe he wasn't sure either way.

If Suarez did dive and we got away with it, then we definitely got the rub of the green yesterday as going down to 10 would have likely handed the victory to City.

If not, then I don't think we were particularly lucky. They had a few shouts, so did we. Not a single one was a stonewaller, though arguably all (certainly at least one a piece) could have been given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The ref was too quick to give out cards early on and that gave him a problem in regards to Suarez, who probably should have been booked for diving. When he didn't get booked he couldn't book milner for it either.
    Clattenburg is one of the poorer refs and yesterday it probably went in our favour.

No Gary Neville said it and they all followed suit

Just like he did with Flanagan, which was 100% a peno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Morzadec wrote: »
    So wait, Suarez didn't dive? Haven't watched MOTD yet so only saw it on replay in the pub and I thought we had really got away with one (Suarez not getting a 2nd yellow).

My view on the other contentious decisions:

Dzeko penalty appeal: Very 50/50. If it had been given it would be hard to complain, because Sahko does not touch the ball and impedes the player in the box. However, contact is minimal and Dzeko completely exaggerates it in order to draw the refs attention to the infringement (as most players would, lets be honest). Can also see why it wasn't given. Ultimately in such a massive match, such a big decision, the ref is going to want to be sure and this is England, not Spain afterall. But it arguably was technically a penalty.

Suarez penalty appeal: See above. He is technically 'fouled' (impeded) by Kompany who has his arms all over him. However, he goes down easily and it would have probably been soft.

Sturridge penalty appeal: Another difficult one, as Sturridge is taken out before the ball. However, Zabaleta's body position is such that it could be argued that he has got between ball and player and is in fact now in possession of the ball, in which case Sturridge is colliding into him... (a bit like Suarez's strength in knocking off the City player just before setting up Sterling for the 1st goal). I feel this probably wasn't a penalty.

Skrtel handball penalty appeal: Many will disagree with me, but for me it is just not a penalty. The rules clearly state that the hand has to be deliberate, and it looks nothing of the sort from Skrtel who is climbing to win the ball with his head and it inadvertantly comes off his hand. At the same time, we see many penos given for accidental handballs (far too many imo, and the rule is generally badly and harshly interpreted). I will have to watch it again, but on first viewing I think it's just a muddle and his hand gets in the way. There is no appeal from the City players and for me it would have been very harsh.

Henderson Red: Feel so sorry for the guy, and I really hope we don't look back on this moment thinking that it might have cost us the title (his role is incredibly important in the team). It was not malicious, but ultimately it was the right decision - in this day and age you can't go in like that, and referees have generally been very consistent with tackles like this, so no complaints.

I think they are all of the major talking points. Maybe watching MOTD later I will revise some views, because it looks like I may have got the Suarez one wrong. Though you would expect Clattenburg to either give the free or give a yellow there perhaps, so it's a strange one. Maybe he wasn't sure either way.

If Suarez did dive and we got away with it, then we definitely got the rub of the green yesterday as going down to 10 would have likely handed the victory to City.

If not, then I don't think we were particularly lucky. They had a few shouts, so did we. Not a single one was a stonewaller, though arguably all (certainly at least one a piece) could have been given.
    If you look at the Skrtel pen appeal from the back of the goal, it looks like Sakhos head moving his arm upwards and out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

5live wrote: »
    ...upwards and out.

That reminded me of the whole "back and to the left" scene from JFK! :D ... must be the lack of sleep!

5live wrote: »
    If you look at the Skrtel pen appeal from the back of the goal, it looks like Sakhos head moving his arm upwards and out.

No one appealed for it, and nothing was said until a slow montion reply was viewed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

City deserved something from the game yesterday, but we deserved something from the game in December. I think points shared over the 2 games is perfectly fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

City deserved something from the game yesterday, but we deserved something from the game in December. I think points shared over the 2 games is perfectly fair.
    In fact Chelsea should be disappointed.

Instead of 2 draws (2 points each - 4 total) it was a win each (3 points each - 6 total).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Fair play to clattenburg yesterday, was consistent with his decisons. Never booked Dzeko for his 'dive' in the first half and consequently didnt book Suarez (or Milner) for his in the second. Good officiating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    The ref was too quick to give out cards early on and that gave him a problem in regards to Suarez, who probably should have been booked for diving. When he didn't get booked he couldn't book milner for it either.
    Clattenburg is one of the poorer refs and yesterday it probably went in our favour.

Regardless of giving out cards early to other players, Suarez had to be booked for his tackle. His tackle on Demichelis was too late to just be allowed go with a warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

No one appealed for it, and nothing was said until a slow montion reply was viewed

It was still a penalty though. You couldn't blame Clattenburg for missing it though.

I thought all four penalty incidents were penalties yday to be honest. At least Clattenburg was consistent in not giving any of them! :pac:

Gary Neville said dive straight away before analysing it at all.

There was contact. Suarez made a ridiculous meal of it and tbh I thought there was no contact until I watched MOTD last night and there certainly was.

Neville isn't the genius pundit everyone makes him out to be.

He was shouting dive when Kompany fouled Suarez. Again Suarez went down easy but it was a foul.

They also mentioned missed the handball from Skrtel.

• Advertisement

There was contact. Suarez made a ridiculous meal of it and tbh I thought there was no contact until I watched MOTD last night and there certainly was.

He was shouting dive when Kompany fouled Suarez. Again Suarez went down easy but it was a foul.

I've noticed it more the last few weeks. He said Flanagan did the ref last week and he was wrong, same yesterday. I think we know which he'd rather his wife to run off with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Anyone got a link to the MOTD highlights?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I've noticed it more the last few weeks. He said Flanagan did the ref last week and he was wrong, same yesterday. I think we know which he'd rather his wife to run off with.

He's better suited to the studio anyway tbh. Not great in the commentary box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Fair play to clattenburg yesterday, was consistent with his decisons. Never booked Dzeko for his 'dive' in the first half and consequently didnt book Suarez (or Milner) for his in the second. Good officiating.

Consistant bad reffing is still bad, it's just consistant.

There's yellows for diving for a reason.

It's a shocking inditement of how exposed the refs are and how little support they get that in the biggest game of the season, the ref simply removed contentious decisions. No one was getting a penalty and no-one was getting booked(or sent off as it would have been for Suarez) for diving.

gosplan wrote: »
    Consistant bad reffing is still bad, it's just consistant.

There's yellows for diving for a reason.

It's a shocking inditement of how exposed the refs are and how little support they get that in the biggest game of the season, the ref simply removed contentious decisions. No one was getting a penalty and no-one was getting booked(or sent off as it would have been for Suarez) for diving.

But Suarez did not dive, he went down easy each time there was contact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I think Neville was ok up to a few weeks ago as I'm sure he though liverpool wouldn't win the league but now he is a worried man. I think it would kill him if liverpool won it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

But Suarez did not dive, he went down easy each time there was contact

Sarcasm detector malfunction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

niallo27 wrote: »
    I think Neville was ok up to a few weeks ago as I'm sure he though liverpool wouldn't win the league but now he is a worried man. I think it would kill him if liverpool won it

My thoughts exactly. His true colours are coming out now tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

SantryRed wrote: »
    Regardless of giving out cards early to other players, Suarez had to be booked for his tackle. His tackle on Demichelis was too late to just be allowed go with a warning.

Not debating that the tackle did not warrant a card but usually in the bigger games like that the refs let a few off at the start and just tell them to calm down. He could have done that, as oncve he booked Suarez he booked others not too long after that were a bit harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Neville's a good pundit. Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm glad he's rattled and showing it. He's a human with emotions and he's also still a United fan, so let him be upset like a lot of United fans. No reason he should be let off :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Ah but sure wasn't he brilliant not so long ago when he was defending Suarez's right to go down. He's great when he's on your side...

"Even Neville said it was a pen"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Not debating that the tackle did not warrant a card but usually in the bigger games like that the refs let a few off at the start and just tell them to calm down. He could have done that, as oncve he booked Suarez he booked others not too long after that were a bit harsh.
    The ref made a stick to beat himself with with the early booking.

Yes it deserved a booking but just like defenders not making a stupid tackle early and getting booked, the same applies to refs too, imo.

There would be plenty of time left to book a player for a tackle/dive after a warning to calm down was ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Eight Ball wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly. His true colours are coming out now tbh.

He was a closet United fan all along alright :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Gary Neville in hating Liverpool shocker.

He's a great pundit, but asking him to commentate on that game was always going to bring out some gutteral emotion. It's hard to censor yourself on live commentary and come across objective.

He's entitled to want Liverpool nowhere near the title.

I wouldn't want it any other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The Neville comments are a bit bizarre. Wow, the guy didn't realise Suarez touched and called it a dive without the aid of super-duper slow motion. Clearly he has a chip on his shoulder.

He's a commentator. He's obviously going to get things wrong when he calls things live. I thought Suarez dived as well, does that make me a liverpool hater?

• Advertisement
Advertisement