Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tanaka chainsaws - any use?

• 11-04-2014 5:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭

Anybody have any experience of these saws?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

Have a tanaka strimmer and chainsaw. Start in the button every time and never let me down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

I have a Tanaka strimmer and its as good as any Husqvarna or Stihl as far as I can see.
    If they make their chainsaws as good I don't know but they probably do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭bigblackmug

Tanaka are a good Japanese brand making quality product.
    Along with Echo, Shindawia and Komatsu Xenoah it is hard to go wrong with a Japanese saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Along with Echo, Shindawia and Komatsu Xenoah it is hard to go wrong with a Japanese saw.

And Makita are the new name for Sachs Dolmar, so nothing wrong there either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Tanaka are supposedly very good chainsaws, my only gripe used to be that their design was always about 10 years behind the other brands i.e. they always looked like saws from at least 10 years ago instead of being more current design, however, that said they have a huge following, although that said you won't find a great difference in price between them and stihl/husky.

Apparently, and this is only what I was told, but avoid the grey top tanaka stuff as it is cheaper/inferior chinese made stuff to be aimed at the domestic market, and this was told to me by a tanaka dealer (and before it is said, he wasn't just trying to sell me a more expensive one, he is a friend of mine)

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »

+1 I have also heard a lot of good things about the makita stuff.

Which model were you thinking of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think all those brands are Kioritz derivatives, hard to beat the Japanese stuff for reliability.
    Always easy to start.
    Ama distributors are the Irish agents for Zenoah so no problems with parts either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

the father has a tanaka and its a lovely saw to use,would recommend it
    the uncle has a tanaka hedge trimmer and its 10yrs old going great always starts first time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

was asking because I was down in kilkenny and saw there was a dealer down there. Ended up getting a Jonsered 2238 instead.

Cost me 299 blips which seems great value to me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Makita chainsaws are rebadged Dolmars - a German manufacturer.

http://www.dolmarpowerproducts.com/

Oooh, nice calendar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭Johnnyq79

was asking because I was down in kilkenny and saw there was a dealer down there. Ended up getting a Jonsered 2238 instead.

Cost me 299 blips which seems great value to me

Hey.
    How you find the Jonsered 2238?
    Looking at one at the moment. This would be my first saw. Recently acquired a small site with plenty of different trees on it. Mostly those dirty evergreens. So going to be used to cut down and up those, and also a few slightly bigger trees too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

it's grand. You wouldn't fell anything huge with it but it does the job for firewood. I find I do have to keep tensioning the chain after a fill or two of fuel though.

if you are going to knock trees I'd say go up a grade or two

Advertisement