Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single to 3 phase Conversion

Options
  • 11-04-2014 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭

A friend is looking for a way to run a 7hp 3ph motor on a lathe using a single phase supply.
    Its in his workshop/shed but he doesn't have a 3ph supply and not much to spend.

Can it be done cheaply and safely?

Any suggestions lads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

What do you mean by not much to spend.

An inverter for 5.5kw won't be cheap.

A quick look on Radionics found this

http://radionics.rs-online.com/web/p/inverter-drives/0104537/

At €930!

Not that I'm saying it will be suitable without knowing more details!

Also is there an adequate power supply available?

Who is going to wire it up?

I doubt if cheaply and safely is possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

That's a bit costly,but thanks for the reply.

Maybe someone else has a better idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

solargain wrote: »

The one I linked to was an Altivar also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

You might get a better price from the wholesalers

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

There will be power output loss dropping from 400 3 phase to 230 3 phase.

frankmul wrote: »

Yes, unless the motor has 230V delta / 400V star windings, some do.

But I did say that the suitability of the inverter depended on knowing more details.

regardless, with an inverter alone costing in the region of €900, before purchasing suitable circuit breakers, installing an adequate power supply, and modifying the control circuit of the lathe (some of the control circuit may be currently using 380V coils) etc., I doubt anyone would call the project "cheap"!

Would a better option be a single phase to three phase converter?
    http://www.boost-energy.com/phase-converters/the-range/a-6-kw
    I don't know a lot about them

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If the OP were to operate 3 phase machinery on a 3 phase 230V supply rather than a 3 phase 400V supply the output from machines would be very much reduced. Is that what you mean?

However if the OP were to use an inverter it would make sense to use one that has a 230V single phase input and a 400V three phase output.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

i thought the 230v 1P input inverters were only 230v 3P output.. no?

and that the motor would have to be dual voltage as in post #9

i don't know too much about them

I thought the same as tomdempsey200. I have see a few single to three phase inverters and the output was only 230 3 phase. I think to get 400 volt 3 phase you have to use a converter, a motor/generator combination? I have never see one so I'm not sure how good they are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

2011 wrote: »
    If the OP were to operate 3 phase machinery on a 3 phase 230V supply rather than a 3 phase 400V supply the output from machines would be very much reduced. Is that what you mean?

However if the OP were to use an inverter it would make sense to use one that has a 230V single phase input and a 400V three phase output.

Most if not all inverters can't increase the voltage - so 220 1~ in = 220 3~ out.

The question is can the motor run on 220/3~ ? i.e can it run in delta 220? if so then an inverter will work.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Steve wrote: »
    Most if not all inverters can't increase the voltage - so 220 1~ in = 220 3~ out.

The question is can the motor run on 220/3~ ? i.e can it run in delta 220? if so then an inverter will work.

...here we go, 230V single phase in and 400V three phase out:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Probably easier to get a new single phase motor. I've seen it done in the last and whereas you won't get exactly the same grunt as before it will work, and safely at that too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

2011 wrote: »
    ...here we go, 230V single phase in and 400V three phase out:

£921.00 (ex. VAT)

A new motor would be cheaper :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I think to get 400 volt 3 phase you have to use a converter, a motor/generator combination? I have never see one so I'm not sure how good they are.

The ones that step up use a step up transformer to supply 400v single phase to the idler motor which generates the 3rd phase, giving 400v 3 phase.

Steve wrote: »
    £921.00 (ex. VAT)

A new motor would be cheaper :)

Yes, but if you read back you will see that my point was that if the OP is going to go down the 3 phase route (with an inverter) then it would would make sense to go three phase 400V rather than three phase 230V. Either way it would not be cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,290 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

My understanding is if it's a 415v motor and you have a 230v drive you can use it up to about 32hz, so you're losing 33-50hz

Here's some more 240v to 415v drives
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/drivesdirectinvertersltd_W0QQ_fsubZ5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Probably easier to get a new single phase motor. I've seen it done in the last and whereas you won't get exactly the same grunt as before it will work, and safely at that too.

That was what I suggested aswell ,but there doesn't seem to be anything capable of driving his machine.

• Advertisement

My understanding is if it's a 415v motor and you have a 230v drive you can use it up to about 32hz, so you're losing 33-50hz

Where are you getting that information from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

That was what I suggested aswell ,but there doesn't seem to be anything capable of driving his machine.

Single phase motors above a kW or so are not much use, particularly with induction ones, as they just won't have much torque. A 5kw one would be impractical in single phase.

Although a variable speed drive is never going to be a cheap option another advantage is that the starting current of the motor can be dramatically reduced. This can be achieved by ramping up the voltage and the frequency.

Advertisement