Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Dealer Deposit Issue

Options
  • 11-04-2014 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

I saw a car on ddeal when i call the seller he said that car is sold i am getting another car next week pay me 3000euros deposit and u can ce to see it i was being fair he didnt mention any terms nothing i paid him by bank the next day i ringed him that i changed my mind i am not coming on friday please return my money back he started making show that he cant give me a penny back! Why i didnt see the car i dont know mileage we have no deal!
    He never answers my texts or calls!
    Now he is looking to rob me 800euros- and still dont know what to do! He even indirectly threat me and i have proof please help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

Welcome to Boards.ie.Congratulations on your 1st post.Maybe you can explain your situation a little better???????

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cracovia445

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    Welcome to Boards.ie.Congratulations on your 1st post.Maybe you can explain your situation a little better???????

A car dealer is holding on my money when i paid him 3000 to come an see the car next week the car didnt exist he said he is only getting it next week i changed my mind thought its to much hassle i ringed him the next day saying that i am not coming to see the car please payback money the man start ignoring my calls and not answering then few times shout at me over the phone now an my Friend an Irish man called him to know how can he do that to someone? He hanged up the phone and called me later that he abused and threat him i have proof for that he only asked him why? Is he not giving me money back? Then he said i have to go and meet this man first time if i want my money he said that i have to accept 2250 which is 750 less for bo reason and he also need an apology from my friend abusing him? Apology for wat he only asked him whats happening? And he also threat me that he knows 2 Gardai and they will find my friend its a clear threatning to me! I spent 200 just to get to him today! I have no idea whats happening its insane

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You gave someone a deposit for a car they didn't have and that you haven't seen????

Sounds like you just gave away money.

If it was a dealer, rather than a private sale, normally there are terms and conditions, and usually it specifies that a deposit is non-refundable. Not a whole lot you can do if that is the case.

Paulw wrote: »
    You gave someone a deposit for a car they didn't have and that you haven't seen????

If it was a dealer, rather than a private sale, normally there are terms and conditions, and usually it specifies that a deposit is non-refundable. Not a whole lot you can do if that is the case.

He is a dealer and nothing was explained over the phone no terms and conditions no mileage nothing at all

Even i did not signed any thing he never mentioned any terms nothing at all i just made a biggest mistake of my life but he is on the wrong too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

He is a dealer and nothing was explained over the phone no terms and conditions no mileage nothing at all

Over the phone? How did you pay him?

Over the phone? How did you pay him?

Yes over the phone i paid to his bank acc

You transferred money to someone's bank account directly???

Sorry, but it sounds like you've made a massive mistake.

If he is a dealer, then you could possibly take a case to the small claims court, but then it is his word against yours. He will, more than likely, claim that the deposit was non-refundable, but as a gesture of good will he offered you some of the money back. In that case, he would be likely to win.

It all sounds like very dodgy dealings.

Not much you can do so! An expense lesson learned. Always ask for the terms associated with a deposit.

You transferred money to someone's bank account directly???

Sorry, but it sounds like you've made a massive mistake.

If he is a dealer, then you could possibly take a case to the small claims court, but then it is his word against yours. He will, more than likely, claim that the deposit was non-refundable, but as a gesture of good will he offered you some of the money back. In that case, he would be likely to win.

It all sounds like very dodgy dealings.

Thats crazy he is a dealer but how can he proof that he explained his terms and conditions how can he take deposit on something that doesn't exist and ghen not answering calls and today hd was indirectly threatning is it all legal to him and 3000 euros is that easy for him to keep?

• Advertisement

Now I'm confused! You said you were down 800, then 750, now 3000. How much are you not getting refunded?

Now I'm confused! You said you were down 800, then 750, now 3000. How much are you not getting refunded?

I gived him 3000 he today said that he might take off 750-800 from it but dont know when he will give back.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If you didn't get a written agreement when handing over money then you have pretty much allowed him to do what he likes with it.

To hand over such a big amount based on a telephone call, for an item you haven't seen, is a crazy thing to do. You effectively gave your money away.

For such a large amount I would get proper legal advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Yes you've made a bad mistake here. Bit he is abusing the situation.

Maybe call into a Garda station and explain your case. I can see no reason why you wouldn't get your full deposit back. If you were lucky enough to meet a sympathetic Garda they could give him a call and nudge him in the right direction.

Oryx wrote: »
    If you didn't get a written agreement when handing over money then you have pretty much allowed him to do what he likes with it.

To hand over such a big amount based on a telephone call, for an item you haven't seen, is a crazy thing to do. You effectively gave your money away.

For such a large amount I would get proper legal advice.

I didn't signed any agreement or agreed any terms but losing such a big amount without any proof from his side is insane i am going to solicitor on monday.

bbam wrote: »

Maybe call into a Garda station and explain your case. I can see no reason why you wouldn't get your full deposit back. If you were lucky enough to meet a sympathetic Garda they could give him a call and nudge him in the right direction.

Gardai Said its a civil matter :( in someway its a theft to keep someons money for no reason and psychologicaly driving me mad :(

I didn't signed any agreement or agreed any terms but losing such a big amount without any proof from his side is insane i am going to solicitor on monday.

You don't need to sign a document for it to be a contract.

But, going to see a solicitor may be your only choice now.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭BandyMandy

Can you not ask your bank to cancel or retrieve the payment? If you go down the legal route it may cost you more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JohnDx

Go back to the bogus dealer and say you want to take the car for a test drive, don't return it, until he gives your deposit back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭BandyMandy

Why cant he/she cancel the payment? I thought all bank transactions take up to 3-5 days to clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

So what car is he giving you? If it's a dealer he should have a record of the money going in. You could prove you sent him money but have received nothing in return, could legally protest outside his premises, keep all future correspondence via email. Also email him the current state of situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Also is he a member of SIMI?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Special.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

BandyMandy wrote: »
    Why cant he/she cancel the payment? I thought all bank transactions take up to 3-5 days to clear.

Much faster nowadays.
    https://www.centralbank.ie/paycurr/sepa/Pages/SEPACreditTransferScheme.aspx
    Payees will receive funds within one business day of the payment being executed.

http://www.ipso.ie/section/CharacteristicsofElectronicPayments
    In Ireland, the clearing time for standard electronic payments is next day value for interbank transfers, subject to the payment instruction being received ahead of ‘shut-off’ times which can vary from bank to bank. Payment instructions received after the ‘shut-off’ time will be processed one working day later
    Most banks offer same day value for payments made to other accounts held in that same bank
    Many banks offer same day money transfer inter-bank services for large value payments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

bbam wrote: »

what is the point of a deposit if you can get it back ?

a deposit is to stop people from changing their mind and wasting peoples time.

deposits should not be returned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

JohnDx wrote: »
    Go back to the bogus dealer and say you want to take the car for a test drive, don't return it, until he gives your deposit back.

That's exactly what I would do, but I wouldn't be advising anyone else to do it.

JohnDx wrote: »

And then all the dealer has to do is report that the car is stolen (a criminal offence).

The OP only put down a deposit, and then changed their mind.

The OP paid the money direct from bank to bank (not wise). The OP didn't check if there were any terms, such as the deposit being refundable or not. The dealer is taking advantage here, but the OP has left himself open to it.

A very dodgy situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@JohnDx please do not recommend theft as a solution.

dudara

• Advertisement

Going to see the solicitor on monday as the man agreed to give back 2250 but i refused to accept yesterday

Advertisement