Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Dealer Deposit Issue

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

the dealer probably purchased a car at your request. if its coming from the uk it could take a few weeks for it to come in. your best bet is to go ahead with the deal as originally agreed. as you got nothing on paper about how long the transaction will take, well then its open ended. you are at his mercy, however if he supplies the car as agreed then youve lost nothing.

edit....your quote... "the next day i ringed him that i changed my mind i am not coming on friday please return my money back"

you entered into a deal. he does not have to return anything. he probably purchased the car and arranged shipping, those things are not cheap. sorry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭Sir Chops

He is a dealer and nothing was explained over the phone no terms and conditions no mileage nothing at all

Then why give him any money??? Let it be a lesson to you to curb your foolishness in future. An expensive lesson undoubtedly but one you obviously need to learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

emo72 wrote: »
    the dealer probably purchased a car at your request. if its coming from the uk it could take a few weeks for it to come in. your best bet is to go ahead with the deal as originally agreed. as you got nothing on paper about how long the transaction will take, well then its open ended. you are at his mercy, however if he supplies the car as agreed then youve lost nothing.

edit....your quote... "the next day i ringed him that i changed my mind i am not coming on friday please return my money back"

you entered into a deal. he does not have to return anything. he probably purchased the car and arranged shipping, those things are not cheap. sorry.

I must be losing it! Where did it say the dealer bought the car as opposed to just sourcing one elsewhere and more so where the heck is there any suggestion that it is being imported from the UK?

I must be losing it! Where did it say the dealer bought the car as opposed to just sourcing one elsewhere and more so where the heck is there any suggestion that it is being imported from the UK?

nowhere. however most cars are being imported at the moment by dealers. but thats beside the point, the fact is if the dealer has gone and bought a car from anywhere, well why should the dealer lose out because the OP changed their mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

emo72 wrote: »
    nowhere. however most cars are being imported at the moment by dealers. but thats beside the point, the fact is if the dealer has gone and bought a car from anywhere, well why should the dealer lose out because the OP changed their mind?

I agree fully about the naivety of the OP but I can't let it go that most cars are being imported. Quite a few are but by no stretch of the imagination can you say most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Thats crazy he is a dealer but how can he proof that he explained his terms and conditions how can he take deposit on something that doesn't exist and ghen not answering calls and today hd was indirectly threatning is it all legal to him and 3000 euros is that easy for him to keep?

How can you prove that he did not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

OP as a matter of interest, if €3k was the deposit, how much were you expecting to pay in total for the car.

I agree fully about the naivety of the OP but I can't let it go that most cars are being imported. Quite a few are but by no stretch of the imagination can you say most.

i know what you are saying, i work beside a couple of car dealers and all their cars are imported. the only cars they dont import are ones that were traded in.

i asked why and its because second hand models in uk are a higher spec and cheaper for them even when they pay vrt and shipping costs. plus theres a much bigger pool of choice over there, so easier to source specific models.

anyway its going off topic, and im to blame, the whole deposit system is to stop people bailing on their commitments. the op didnt give any reason why they changed their mind. it is of course their perogative to do this, but also the dealers right to say no problem, but im keeping the deposit.

i have sympathy for the op and the dealer. but the dealer was keeping his part of the deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Totally confused.

You paid him a deposit for what?

A specific car you had seen/looked at, and agreed with him to buy that car, gave him the deposit for that car, but he no longer has that car
    OR
    You knowingly put down a desposit on a car you've never seen (and now you want to pull out of the deal)

Advertisement