Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop not recognising some wireless networks

• 11-04-2014 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

My Acer Aspire V5 only seems to pick up some wireless networks but not others. For example, my phone picks up my upc network no problem but my acer doesn't even identify the upc network but i can see other networks used by neighbours etc. Anyone know if there is a straight forward fix for this problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Bump

Can you see what channels the "missing" networks are transmitting on? If they're 12 and 13 then the wireless adapter in your laptop might be configured incorrectly or is a North American model.

If running Windows, then run the following at a command prompt:

netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid

Karsini wrote: »
    Can you see what channels the "missing" networks are transmitting on? If they're 12 and 13 then the wireless adapter in your laptop might be configured incorrectly or is a North American model.

If running Windows, then run the following at a command prompt:

netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid

The problem on arises when I disconnect from the network and then try to reconnect. If I reboot the laptop it picks up the network straight away.

For example, I connect to the network on start up, then I move to another part of the house and connect to a different access point that I set up but if I I try to connect to the original network it doesn't appear in the list of available networks?

So you have two access points in the same house? While it's not connected to your issue, in this case, ideally you should configure both with the same SSID, encryption and channel settings. That way the device will roam from one access point to the other automatically.

So you have two access points in the same house? While it's not connected to your issue, in this case, ideally you should configure both with the same SSID, encryption and channel settings. That way the device will roam from one access point to the other automatically.

I considered that but was conscious of the loss of bandwidth by using a repeater as opposed to an access point.

• Advertisement

You shouldn't suffer any loss of bandwidth if the router and access point are wired together; you would if one was repeating the other wirelessly.

In to your other issue, I haven't seen this before, have you tried any driver updates for the wireless device?

You shouldn't suffer any loss of bandwidth if the router and access point are wired together; you would if one was repeating the other wirelessly.

In to your other issue, I haven't seen this before, have you tried any driver updates for the wireless device?

I have the router and access point wired through TP-Links Powerline which already seems to reduce the bandwith so I though that if I used it as a repeater it would reduce it even further.

Am reluctant to update the driver as I know the wireless adapter is picking up other networks and with Windows 8.1 being still in it's infancy I'm always reluctant to update drivers on brand new operating systems.

Advertisement