Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Detailing chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Storm made a ****e of the car! Anyone know of any pay as you go powerwashers in Dublin? (the ones where you throw in coins to buy time!) - Normally drive back to Galway to give the car a proper wash, but stuck in the apartment and no water source aside from the bucket and mitt!

Want to give it a good rinse down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Shlippery wrote: »
    Storm made a ****e of the car! Anyone know of any pay as you go powerwashers in Dublin? (the ones where you throw in coins to buy time!) - Normally drive back to Galway to give the car a proper wash, but stuck in the apartment and no water source aside from the bucket and mitt!

Want to give it a good rinse down!

What part of Dublin are you in?

There are 2 petrol stations on the Merrion road between booterstown and Blackrock with them. One is an applegreen and I think the other is texaco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Got sorted in Kilmainham Circle K! Had a jet was there! Drove around and many were closed / out of service!

Happy out now
    !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Anyone here usually order off Slims ? I was told that when my item is shipped id get an email or text but have still yet to. Also when I log into my account my order status is "complete", not sure if that would mean it's sent though.

I’ve only ordered from them once but it was to a NI address and mobile number (still haven’t actually seen the order as it was the start of March and I’ve been stuck in Dublin since!). I got a text from morelli group when it was dispatched but no email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

My last 2 Slims orders (both placed within a day of each other) arrived in a few days despite the order status not updating and not getting any update emails. It looked as though the order was still in their warehouse until it was delivered.

My last 2 Slims orders (both placed within a day of each other) arrived in a few days despite the order status not updating and not getting any update emails. It looked as though the order was still in their warehouse until it was delivered.

Hopefully that's the case, order was placed on the 19th so hopefully it arrives in a couple of days.

On the subject of Slims. Has anyone got a promo mail from them recently? I used to get 2 or 3 a week but haven’t got any in over a month.

On the subject of Slims. Has anyone got a promo mail from them recently? I used to get 2 or 3 a week but haven’t got any in over a month.

I'd say they're just up the walls and don't need to send out promotion emails as stuff is selling itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Irishweather2

Hi all.
    I'm hoping to get some recommendations on either websites or shops which sell detailing supplies (at a reasonable price) and deliver to Ireland.
    What I'm struggling to find is Meguiar's mirror glaze ultra cut compound and Meguiar's mirror glaze ultra finishing polish as most on Amazon won't deliver to Ireland.

Please share your recommendations if you have any!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Hi all.
    I'm hoping to get some recommendations on either websites or shops which sell detailing supplies (at a reasonable price) and deliver to Ireland.
    What I'm struggling to find is Meguiar's mirror glaze ultra cut compound and Meguiar's mirror glaze ultra finishing polish as most on Amazon won't deliver to Ireland.

Try using address pal for your Amazon order.

There staff is probably operating on a skeleton crew so guys operating the systems for order updates and emails are possibly not working at the minute or not long back to work trying to figure out where to begin after couple months off.

edburg wrote: »
    Try using address pal for your Amazon order.

Will an Post allow transport of these from US as well as UK do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Hi all.

https://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk/collections/meguiars/products/meguiars-105-ultra-cut-compound

https://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk/collections/meguiars/products/meguiars-205-ultra-finishing-polish-8oz

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

Hopefully that's the case, order was placed on the 19th so hopefully it arrives in a couple of days.

I’d an order on the 16th and it arrived yesterday morning, I’d say give it another day or two.

Edit- anyone ever get their DPD tracker code to work? It’s never worked for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hi all.

Would you not try Scholl S20 ?

I'd say they're just up the walls and don't need to send out promotion emails as stuff is selling itself.

I’m hoping for a deal on an ibrid, so hope they haven’t sold too well :D

vectra wrote: »
    Would you not try Scholl S20 ?

Being honest I hadn't heard of it until now. Would you recommend it over Meguiar's?

• Advertisement

Being honest I hadn't heard of it until now. Would you recommend it over Meguiar's?

Both are good products,
    But the Scholl S20 can be used as a one step polish that has a long worktime.

Having used a lot of polishes over the years including Meguiars, Menzerna, Chemical Guys etc. I recently used Scholl S20 for the first time and to be honest, it beats them all.

I used do the whole 2/3 step process with Menzerna and Chemical Guys V range. Now I only use S20 as a one step product. Yes, you have to spend longer than one stage but it has such a long working time that it lasts.

I also use it for cutting the gloss black B pillars on doors followed by Menzerna 3800 which has very, very little cut and is ideal for removing any small, light swirling after the cutting stage. You can be guaranteed though that these yokes will swirl up again if you look at them out of the corner of your eye :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

With the talk of abrasive polishes above, I would definitely recommend the Zvivver range, especially there HC 4000(heavier cut compund) and their MC 3000(a nice medium cut polish). Great working times, no dusting, and even the HC will finish down fantastically when extending polishing cycle.

I've used alot of different polishes from Scholl to Sonax to Rupes to Menz to Gyeon to Detailing Kingdom, across a variety of pads.......and Zvivver is right up there. Definitely worth trying out.

@Northern Monkey.................as an alternative to the iBrid, would you consider the Flex PXE 80 kit? Only that i already own an iBird i would be all over this. Can't justify buying it............yet! With also having a 3" backing plate function, it's like have an iBrid and 75E in one!!

Will an Post allow transport of these from US as well as UK do you know?

I've had AmmoNYC gear from USA in past with no issues, can't say I asked first though lol

I've had AmmoNYC gear from USA in past with no issues, can't say I asked first though lol

Seen alot of his videos on YouTube and his products seem high quality, how did you find it and what did you order?

Cheers to all of you who recommended above. Will have a think about Scholl and take a look at some reviews.

Seen alot of his videos on YouTube and his products seem high quality, how did you find it and what did you order?

Cheers to all of you who recommended above. Will have a think about Scholl and take a look at some reviews.

Had his older paint regime and wheel regime few times, all top quality gear. There couple new stuff now not had (reflex, boost).

Hydrate my favorite product, makes drying car a breeze, puts meguiars version to shame. Will keep buying this myself when needed.

Only thing is you get caught for tax these days, so makes it expensive to buy now.

His videos are a great to watch for beginners, especially earlier videos.

• Advertisement

@Northern Monkey.................as an alternative to the iBrid, would you consider the Flex PXE 80 kit? Only that i already own an iBird i would be all over this. Can't justify buying it............yet! With also having a 3" backing plate function, it's like have an iBrid and 75E in one!!

I didn’t actually realise the flex included a 3 inch option as part of it. I was originally going for the ibrid because it looked like it had less bulk at the head and would be better at getting into tight areas but that’s given me food for thought. Guess I will be spending the evening on YouTube watching comparison videos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Had his older paint regime and wheel regime few times, all top quality gear. There couple new stuff now not had (reflex, boost).

Hydrate my favorite product, makes drying car a breeze, puts meguiars version to shame. Will keep buying this myself when needed.

Only thing is you get caught for tax these days, so makes it expensive to buy now.

His videos are a great to watch for beginners, especially earlier videos.

Larry's videos are excellent. Really brings detailing to a whole new level. He's recently launched a new channel "Ammo NYC Studio" where's he's in the process of building a studio for creating his videos etc.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJtF34yf_Y0iPLnIt-UdwKA

^^^

Love the video where he and loads of others polished an old Presidential Boeing 707.

Finally got my tracking details for my order from Slims yesterday. Bit annoyed it took 10 days to ship but with everything going on I understand.

Can only speak for Amazon and to an extent Ebay but I've found lately that if you order stuff via parcel motel it's arriving a lot quicker then if you were to have it sent directly.

^^^

Love the video where he and loads of others polished an old Presidential Boeing 707.

Finally got my tracking details for my order from Slims yesterday. Bit annoyed it took 10 days to ship but with everything going on I understand.

Can only speak for Amazon and to an extent Ebay but I've found lately that if you order stuff via parcel motel it's arriving a lot quicker then if you were to have it sent directly.

Agreed on Amazon. I have my NI address as my main address. I was ordering something last week and the delivery date changed by a week when I switched the address from NI to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

Best place to get Scholl S20?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Another vote for S20. Have done a few cars with it now and it really is very easy to work with even on hot days, long work time and easy on and off. If the car paintwork is hard and REALLY badly swirled/scratched you will need a pass more a more aggressive compound first, but for most jobs it's a great product.

I got mine from in2detaling.co.uk

1 Scholl Concepts S20 One Step Medium Cut and Finish Polishing Compound 500g £1.76 £17.46
    2 16" x 16" Plush 470gsm Orange Korean Edgeless Microfibre Cloth £0.59 £5.84
    2 Scholl Concepts Purple Foam Medium-Heavy Cutting Polishing Pad 145mm Medium £1.49 £14.91
    2 Scholl Concepts Orange Foam Finishing Polishing Pad 145mm Medium £1.49 £14.91
    2 Scholl Concepts Black SOFTouch Waffle Sponge Polishing Pad 145mm Medium £1.57 £15.77
    2 Scholl Concepts Black SOFTouch Waffle Sponge Polishing Pad 90mm Small £0.57 £5.77
    1 Das 6 Pro 900W Dual Action Machine Polisher £0.00 £82.47

DanC90 wrote: »
    Best place to get Scholl S20?

DnD

Loving the smell of Reflects new air freshners. Remind me sweets :D

20200527-140714.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

I think there must be warehouse(s) full of European and Worldwide (particularly China) parcels stored up in Ireland, with post that actually makes An Post being prioritized over everything else. I'm waiting for quite a few packages from China (AliExpress - non-detailing stuff) and it's all stuck in the middle somewhere (which I'm thinking it's arrived at this end but not logged into tracking systems)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

championc wrote: »
    I think there must be warehouse(s) full of European and Worldwide (particularly China) parcels stored up in Ireland, with post that actually makes An Post being prioritized over everything else. I'm waiting for quite a few packages from China (AliExpress - non-detailing stuff) and it's all stuck in the middle somewhere (which I'm thinking it's arrived at this end but not logged into tracking systems)

They are over run with it and only so many staff to sort due to keeping space and that.

They can't keep up so much online shopping has been done and worse the Christmas and black Fri

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok got tips here on how to clean exterior and what products to get thanks now looking at cleaning the interior including leather seats

At the moment just using hoover and cleaning out everything and washing down seats with water

Also whats best products for shining tyres ?

Whats the best products for interior cleaning and where to get them.As I write just browsing through different pages on this post to see any suggestions

Live near Halfords but want to support a local supplier & possible order online

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 21 -dmo7-

Another vote for S20. Have done a few cars with it now and it really is very easy to work with even on hot days, long work time and easy on and off. If the car paintwork is hard and REALLY badly swirled/scratched you will need a pass more a more aggressive compound first, but for most jobs it's a great product.

I got mine from in2detaling.co.uk

1 Scholl Concepts S20 One Step Medium Cut and Finish Polishing Compound 500g £1.76 £17.46
    2 16" x 16" Plush 470gsm Orange Korean Edgeless Microfibre Cloth £0.59 £5.84
    2 Scholl Concepts Purple Foam Medium-Heavy Cutting Polishing Pad 145mm Medium £1.49 £14.91
    2 Scholl Concepts Orange Foam Finishing Polishing Pad 145mm Medium £1.49 £14.91
    2 Scholl Concepts Black SOFTouch Waffle Sponge Polishing Pad 145mm Medium £1.57 £15.77
    2 Scholl Concepts Black SOFTouch Waffle Sponge Polishing Pad 90mm Small £0.57 £5.77
    1 Das 6 Pro 900W Dual Action Machine Polisher £0.00 £82.47

+1 for S20. Used with a purple waffle pad from Scholl with a DAS6 Pro on a 5" backing pad. Used on an Octavia with relatively hard paint. In all honesty I would need to do a second pass to be perfect, but it took years off the car and very easy to use. I changed to a Dodo Juice - Fin Cut Cutting Pad to see the difference versus the Scholl pad, it did give a greater cut but a lot more sling. Stick to the Scholl combo for first go IMO.

Are spray waxes and quick detailers similar or different altogether ? If so could anyone recommend a spray wax I could use ?

Just looking to get some more input on this lads. Mainly looking for something to spray on while it's wet. Have Demon Shine which is okay but I reckon I can do a bit better.

Just looking to get some more input on this lads. Mainly looking for something to spray on while it's wet. Have Demon Shine which is okay but I reckon I can do a bit better.

I use Gtechniq C2 sealant. It can be used as a drying aid. Its very easy to use. Spray on and wipe, then wipe off the residue. I find it great stuff but I haven’t used it on any of our cars when they’re wet. It seems a bit too expensive to use like that.

I got an email today for 12.5% off Meguiars and Stjarnagloss products. Code is MAY2020. No discounts on machines though.

• Advertisement

Sonax BSD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Gyeon Wetcoat if you want a very easy application method

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I've tried a few over the years and am currently using TW Sealant Wax. I've never used anything that glosses so well, works on paint, glass and plastics, is so easy to use (wet or dry) lasts ages and is cheap as chips. If there is a Holy Grail of waxes this comes as close as you can get.

RobbieMD wrote: »
    I use Gtechniq C2 sealant. It can be used as a drying aid. Its very easy to use. Spray on and wipe, then wipe off the residue. I find it great stuff but I haven’t used it on any of our cars when they’re wet. It seems a bit too expensive to use like that.

You use the same amount when the car is wet as when it's dry with C2. Having water on the car will dilute it down a bit but it's easier to spread.

Ok got tips here on how to clean exterior and what products to get thanks now looking at cleaning the interior including leather seats

At the moment just using hoover and cleaning out everything and washing down seats with water

Also whats best products for shining tyres ?

Whats the best products for interior cleaning and where to get them.As I write just browsing through different pages on this post to see any suggestions

Live near Halfords but want to support a local supplier & possible order online

Cheers

Need to know if car has actual leather or the more common faux vinyl/leather that most car manafacturers use these days.

I personally use a weak APC sprayed on a microfiber cloth to wipe down all
    the plastics and faux leather in mine,and then use a interior spray. I use Bilthamber Surfex APC and left over Autobrite Pink sheen I bought few years ago.

There better interior products out there at a guess probably G-Techniq and carPro for finishing the interior that lasts better.

If you have proper leather like Nappa/Connoly etc there are Leather specific cleaners out there and more importantly leather balms/creams that help treat/protect the leather to. Halfords most likely have meguiars and autoglym variants available. Same again there be Gtehniq and carPro stuff from detailers online to.

Cheers lads. Not looking for anything too expensive so turtle wax stuff might suit. Pity Halfords don't stock the ICE range.

Pan the Organiser rated it highly in a video I watched.

The Sonox stuff was also highly rated by John from Forensics Detailing, then again he gets too much into it for me.

Another one I seen as well was Reflect Super Cold Wax. Again with a lot of their stuff no reviews but for a tenner I'm considering it. I know trade stuff can be hit and miss but a some of it can be decent.

Just one more question. I also have quick detailer as well (reflects stuff). Am I right in thinking that I'd apply the spray wax, dry the car then apply the quick detailer or is it just one or the other at the time of washing ?

Also have a spray polish that I got from reflect years ago but only used once or twice. Not sure what purpose it could serve me.

https://www.reflectautocare.ie/Super-Pro-Polish

To me it just seems like another quick detailer or am i wrong ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Cheers lads. Not looking for anything too expensive so turtle wax stuff might suit. Pity Halfords don't stock the ICE range.

Pan the Organiser rated it highly in a video I watched.

The Sonox stuff was also highly rated by John from Forensics Detailing, then again he gets too much into it for me.

Another one I seen as well was Reflect Super Cold Wax. Again with a lot of their stuff no reviews but for a tenner I'm considering it. I know trade stuff can be hit and miss but a some of it can be decent.

Just one more question. I also have quick detailer as well (reflects stuff). Am I right in thinking that I'd apply the spray wax, dry the car then apply the quick detailer or is it just one or the other at the time of washing ?

Also have a spray polish that I got from reflect years ago but only used once or twice. Not sure what purpose it could serve me.

https://www.reflectautocare.ie/Super-Pro-Polish

To me it just seems like another quick detailer or am i wrong ?
    I use Reflect's Super Cold Wax (weekend warrior here for what its worth) and find it fine for what I want from it. I spray on after the post-wash rinse, and then rinse off again and dry.

Like you said, I would then go around with Reflect's Quick Detailer when the car is dry.

Picked up a bottle today. Probably won't get to use it until after the soon to be hose ban.

I must admit I was very pleased with the Bilt Hamber foam. While not as thick at the Magifoam from autobrite (which I suppose is the thickest out there) it wasn't as bad as some say it is. I appreciated that the foam doesn't hang about on the drive away for ages afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I think I'm going to grab a bottle of it, from recommendations here. I am using Reflects Mega Foam but don't find it great.

• Advertisement

Picked up a bottle today. Probably won't get to use it until after the soon to be hose ban.

I must admit I was very pleased with the Bilt Hamber foam. While not as thick at the Magifoam from autobrite (which I suppose is the thickest out there) it wasn't as bad as some say it is. I appreciated that the foam doesn't hang about on the drive away for ages afterwards.

A snowfoam doesn't have to cling in order to be a good product. Yes it should loosen dirt under where it's clinging and make it easier to remove but with Bilt Hamber foam it runs off, dragging the dirt with it.

Advertisement