Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Detailing chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

You could use a "lightweight" ceramic coating like Carpro Lite,Can Coat,Tac System Moonlight etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭rodge123

Go out in the dark and just put the flash light on your phone over the paintwork at different angles to see the paintwork as it *could* be seen in strong sunlight.

Forensic Detailing just posted a video about the £100 DAS8(the new DAS6): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISXKUKzm0CQ

I bought the DAS8 and apart from the included (somewhat cheap) wrench rounding off and being useless, it's pretty good. i got from in2detailing who im not a fan of but they are the main ppl for it. I use Koch Chemie pads & polish - also reccmd. by Forensic Detailing guy.

UK based youtuber who i found v. helpful and easy to watch to understand what's needed. He also has some older videos about polishing with the DAS6 etc.

I personally wouldn't do it myself(i'm just at the beginner level of using DA/have polished 2 cars so far) but it seems the stress of learning how to do it and the potential for messing it up would just end up with more correction work. Whats the price diff between a pro doing it and you buying it and doing it?

Yeah have seen a few of uk detailing guy videos, seems to know his stuff.
    Must find the time to sit down and watch any ceramic coating videos he has.

A quick google is suggesting getting a professional detailer to apply ceramic coating will cost many multiples of doing it myself. Paying for labour hours it takes to get car perfect before appying it I suppose.

Here for example.
    https://ceramicpro.ie/

500 yoyos for the basic package!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭chalky_ie

Are there any Irish shops selling P&S products?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭consulatory

Go out in the dark and just put the flash light on your phone over the paintwork at different angles to see the paintwork as it *could* be seen in strong sunlight.

Forensic Detailing just posted a video about the £100 DAS8(the new DAS6): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISXKUKzm0CQ

I bought the DAS8 and apart from the included (somewhat cheap) wrench rounding off and being useless, it's pretty good. i got from in2detailing who im not a fan of but they are the main ppl for it. I use Koch Chemie pads & polish - also reccmd. by Forensic Detailing guy.

UK based youtuber who i found v. helpful and easy to watch to understand what's needed. He also has some older videos about polishing with the DAS6 etc.

I personally wouldn't do it myself(i'm just at the beginner level of using DA/have polished 2 cars so far) but it seems the stress of learning how to do it and the potential for messing it up would just end up with more correction work. Whats the price diff between a pro doing it and you buying it and doing it?

By the by, just something I will add. Although the machine only cost £100, the polish & pads and panel wipe will add up.

And if I was back at square one, I would contact a local polisher and see if I could cut a deal whereby I do all decon and they come in and do final polish.
    They will have all tools and experience to just do it right.

I bought 3 x 3" pads, 4 x 5" pads (mainly koch chemie yellow, with 1 each of red & purple in both sizes) and still tend to split polishing a car over multiple days as even cleaning them out inbetween polishing sets isn't going to stretch them to do multiple panels in one go).

Also, commit to x amount of sets and then just stop even if you haven't achieved perfection(as you never will).
    I managed to burn some paint by getting carried away with removing all trace scratches from around door handle. It's not a nice feeling.

I went in disciplined but it's too easy to just give it another few passes.

conor-w wrote: »

Reflect auto care are stockists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I believe Autopia now stock them too

• Registered Users Posts: 44 irishlad123456

I washed my car at the weekend and it has lots of water bubbles/spots on it now? How do I remove these and can they damage the paint?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I washed my car at the weekend and it has lots of water bubbles/spots on it now? How do I remove these and can they damage the paint?

Just wash it again and dry it properly this time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Looking very manky these days.

679-A5-F13-77-D0-4-C90-934-C-86-DCEC9-ABD5-D.jpg

D2-CCAE0-C-F8-E5-49-FE-9-D23-98-E34-CF34-E2-A.jpg

92898-D72-3-E20-4674-86-AB-54-D79-CF9-EB5-E.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Looking very manky these days.

Same as mine. I was going to wash it this morning but then I read that there is a yellow warning for rain tomorrow in Connaught so I thought what's the point. I'm working from home most of the time so it's really just sitting in the driveway dirty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

The water spots are due to washing your car in direct sunlight. The soap solution dries much faster in the sunlight (whether it's warm or not) leaving the water residue after you've cleaned your car, it doesn't do damage provided it's not left to bake on the car for a very long time in more sunlight, next time you are washing it make sure you're in the shade, an overcast day with no rain is ideal car washing weather. Or if you want to try fix it right away just wash your car panel by panel using these steps.

1)Rinse the driver side door (as an example,start wherever you want)
    2)Get your soapy wash mitt and clean the door panel
    3)Rinse the driver door panel once again
    4)Dry it off immediately, then move onto the next panel.

doing this all around the car is a good way to make sure you don't have water spots if you're washing in direct sunlight.
    Hope this helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Cleaned the car today after many months, spent two hours and she got the TLC she's been waiting for lol

Anyone else think the postage costs from the Irish shops is a bit much in some cases? I wanted to buy 1 or 2 small things, and multiple places were looking for around 8 quid postage, when I'm in the same county as them. Feels like that's a lot for 15 quid worth of stuff, maybe there is no cheaper way for them to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Anyone else think the postage costs from the Irish shops is a bit much in some cases? I wanted to buy 1 or 2 small things, and multiple places were looking for around 8 quid postage, when I'm in the same county as them. Feels like that's a lot for 15 quid worth of stuff, maybe there is no cheaper way for them to do it.

It can be alright so now I just generally make a list of items I use regularly stock like those and purchase those along side what ever item I require in a hurry .
    Balances itself out in the end I think.
    Black Friday is coming so expect deals on delivery prices soon.

In fairness €8 isn't much for postage, the stores are probably open to collect stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

An Post postage is damn expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Whats the best approach for dealing with this the seats in my car were clean then in the last week or so all these white marks started to appear on passenger seat and slightly on passenger rear rest are ok. Car was parked up a long time before I bought it in August so possibly to do with that. Is it worth trying a seat cleaner detergent or do I need to take it somewhere the get the interior wet washed and vacuumed ?

What are people's thoughts on buying a DA polisher that does not have a swappable backing plate? Would you get a whole car done with only a 5" backing plate available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

CIP4 wrote: »
    Whats the best approach for dealing with this the seats in my car were clean then in the last week or so all these white marks started to appear on passenger seat and slightly on passenger rear rest are ok. Car was parked up a long time before I bought it in August so possibly to do with that. Is it worth trying a seat cleaner detergent or do I need to take it somewhere the get the interior wet washed and vacuumed ?

that is the foam in your seats is dirty (or rather than dirty maybe had too much cleaner applied and wasn't removed fully) and some moisture on the seat wicks it out over time you get the stains.

if you have access a carpet extractor like a bissel spot clean (think they are going to be 100 sterling at some point today for black friday down from 150) you could give it a few passes and either get the dirt out of the foam or get the excess cleaning product out if that's what it is

@4.30 https://youtu.be/AaNiHFW11yA?t=260

• Advertisement

What are people's thoughts on buying a DA polisher that does not have a swappable backing plate? Would you get a whole car done with only a 5" backing plate available?

Depends on the car but parts like pillars,boot, bumpers etc can be awkward and you'd be better off swapping to the likes of a 75mm or smaller backing plate. There is so many polishers out there now to choose from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

You'll definitely need a smaller plate if you want to do a proper job. DAS6 is a great entry level machine.

Cheers lads, I live in an apt and I've no access to a socket in the carpark, so I was really hoping to get a cordless one, had my eye on the new DeWalt DA, as it can be had for a decent price with no battery. I might leave it if it won't do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

that is the foam in your seats is dirty (or rather than dirty maybe had too much cleaner applied and wasn't removed fully) and some moisture on the seat wicks it out over time you get the stains.

if you have access a carpet extractor like a bissel spot clean (think they are going to be 100 sterling at some point today for black friday down from 150) you could give it a few passes and either get the dirt out of the foam or get the excess cleaning product out if that's what it is

Thanks for the advice. I don’t have any kind of carpet extractor and it wouldn’t really be worth buying one so if it’s a case of it needing that kind of a wet vacuum treatment I’m as well to take it somewhere and get a deep interior clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Cheers lads, I live in an apt and I've no access to a socket in the carpark, so I was really hoping to get a cordless one, had my eye on the new DeWalt DA, as it can be had for a decent price with no battery. I might leave it if it won't do the job.

Shinemate do a few cordless machines that seem to be well reviewed and are a good bit cheaper than the flex versions

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/shinemate-12mm-cordless-random-orbital-polisher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Shinemate do a few cordless machines that seem to be well reviewed and are a good bit cheaper than the flex versions

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/shinemate-12mm-cordless-random-orbital-polisher

A tone here have any experience of these cordless ones?

• Advertisement

Do I have to be careful cleaning factory tinted windows or will they hold up the same as normal clear glass? I know with aftermarket tint you have to not scratch the inside. But is factory tint the same for being careful not to scratch it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Do I have to be careful cleaning factory tinted windows or will they hold up the same as normal clear glass? I know with aftermarket tint you have to not scratch the inside. But is factory tint the same for being careful not to scratch it?

Never had a problem with any of mine, just cleaned as normal.

What are people's thoughts on washing + decontaminating a car in one location, then driving it 30 mins to another location to polish it? Is there something that could easily remove what little dirt would be picked up during that journey, if I had absolutely no access to water in the second location?

What are people's thoughts on washing + decontaminating a car in one location, then driving it 30 mins to another location to polish it? Is there something that could easily remove what little dirt would be picked up during that journey, if I had absolutely no access to water in the second location?

Could you bring enough water to do a rinseless wipe with optimum no rinse when you get there? Never used it myself but it looks pretty good from videos

You could use a self service car wash and just bring your buckets,mitt etc if there was one close. 30 minutes isn't far but this time of year you could pick up a lot more dirt, you could use onr but personally don't like the idea of a "waterless wash" type product

• Advertisement

Yeah I won't be doing it until the weather is decent again I would say, so it would hopefully not pick up too much stuff. I wouldn't be mad on those products either really, at a stretch I could probably fill a bucket or 2 from my kitchen sink.

Yeah I won't be doing it until the weather is decent again I would say, so it would hopefully not pick up too much stuff. I wouldn't be mad on those products either really, at a stretch I could probably fill a bucket or 2 from my kitchen sink.

Could you not connect a hose the the tap in the kitchen?

vectra wrote: »
    Could you not connect a hose the the tap in the kitchen?

I live in an apartment, I would be doing the polishing in the underground carpark. Seems like it would be very handy if I wanted to do a 2 step polish and coating as it would be covered all the time, which is why I'm thinking of it, but I would have to go back to my parent's house to get the car ready for polishing.

I live in an apartment, I would be doing the polishing in the underground carpark. Seems like it would be very handy if I wanted to do a 2 step polish and coating as it would be covered all the time, which is why I'm thinking of it, but I would have to go back to my parent's house to get the car ready for polishing.

watering can and a bucket of warm water to wash and rinse providing it is not covered in Sh17e.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

Why not pick up some 5L bottles of water in Aldi/Lidl/wherever and stick it in the boot of the car. You have water then if/when you need it to rinse down.

Does anyone know of an Irish shop that stocks Koch Chemie? Interested in trying GSF, seems to get a lot of great reviews.

Potentially a stupid question... what is the alcohol concentration of commercially available IPA Panel Wipe? For example, I have CleanerCar Panel Wipe but nowhere on the packaging/label does it state the alcohol concentration - https://dnddetailing.ie/product/cleaner-car-i-p-a-1l/

I've looked at a few other brands but I can't see it mentioned either, for example Gtechniq - https://www.gtechniq.co.uk/shop/auto/wash-decon-polish/pw-panel-wipe/

Not answering the question but forensic detailing guy on YouTube has a video making his own panel wipe. Probably not far off what the commercial ones are. https://youtu.be/IhgOHVmkV_I

Theres a guy on ebay who ive bought 99% ipa from and I am pretty sure it ships from inside Ireland so no issues

Not answering the question but forensic detailing guy on YouTube has a video making his own panel wipe. Probably not far off what the commercial ones are. https://youtu.be/IhgOHVmkV_I

Theres a guy on ebay who ive bought 99% ipa from and I am pretty sure it ships from inside Ireland so no issues

Thanks for replying. It makes sense alright if you make it yourself because you'll know the percentage of alcohol and how much to dilute it etc. It's just confusing that commercially available IPA panel wipe doesn't specify the concentration (from the browsing I have been doing) :confused:

I just buy 99% isopropyl alcohol and then mix it at 15% with deionized water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

IPA does not remove polish residue as efficiently as the likes of Gtechniq Panel Wipe or CarPro Eraser. It has been proven in videos by KDS Keltec. With IPA you would need to do 4-5 passes as opposed to 1-2 with Panel Wipe or Eraser. You're much better off with these dedicated products.

Anyone ever try body shop panel wipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Yep. It's ok. There's better towels or there tbh but it's ok if you're stuck.

Ive being using one of these at the moment and find it okay, probably could do with a couple more.

https://www.reflectautocare.ie/Accessories/Chamois-Drying-Towel/xl-trade-microfibre-drying-towel.html

Was looking at this one from The Rag Company as well

https://www.reflectautocare.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=186&product_id=844

I wouldn't be into spending big money on a drying towel tbh, 20 quid would be my max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭celticsfan

Ive being using one of these at the moment and find it okay, probably could do with a couple more.

https://www.reflectautocare.ie/Accessories/Chamois-Drying-Towel/xl-trade-microfibre-drying-towel.html

Was looking at this one from The Rag Company as well

https://www.reflectautocare.ie/index.php?route=product/product&path=186&product_id=844

I wouldn't be into spending big money on a drying towel tbh, 20 quid would be my max.

I have the twistress one from the rag company..great towel imo,not overly big compared to other drying towels but I really like it...just be aware,as the description says its not a real high pile towel if thats what you are after as it's a twist weave... i think they were selling those towels off at 12eur a month ago or so on reflectautocare so they may be back on offer in the future...

IPA does not remove polish residue as efficiently as the likes of Gtechniq Panel Wipe or CarPro Eraser. It has been proven in videos by KDS Keltec. With IPA you would need to do 4-5 passes as opposed to 1-2 with Panel Wipe or Eraser. You're much better off with these dedicated products.

But what is the concentration of alcohol in the likes of the Gtechniq Panel Wipe? :)
    Since it isn't specified I assume that it's more likely to be in the range of 10-15% (less likely to damage the car) rather than 50-70% (more likely to damage the car)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

But what is the concentration of alcohol in the likes of the Gtechniq Panel Wipe? :)
    Since it isn't specified I assume that it's more likely to be in the range of 10-15% (less likely to damage the car) rather than 50-70% (more likely to damage the car)?

I have absolutely no idea. I don't think companies release this information for good reason :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭CathalC2011

Hi, any recommendations for replacing the hose and head parts of the Karcher K4?

https://www.woodies.ie/karcher-k4-full-control-home-kit-pressure-washer-1125070

The pressure is perfectly fine for an electric pump, but the hose is very hard and difficult to maneuver around, and the actual lance is pure cat ****. very heavy, flimsy plastic materials which broke in no time.

I'm looking to replace the hose with something made of a softer plastic/rubber, and I'd like to replace the lance with one of those small hand lances with quick release and multiple head attachments.

I haven't a motion about compatibility, or what's good. I do wash frequently but generally with poor equipment. Would like to step it up a notch!

Thank you !‚

• Advertisement

Is there any issues with ordering products from UK stores these days or extra charges ?

Advertisement