Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Detailing chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Alfie1 wrote: »
    I don't really mind de-tarring it & claying it again if that will remove all the previous wax but I was under the impression that once or twice a year was enough for claying.

I've never polished the car before as the paint is in fairly good condition & I don't plan on doing it by hand, I might get it machine polished next year.

I Clayed mine only about 2 weeks ago and again on Saturday, a large amount still came off! Polishing, even by hand is always worth it.

If you don't want to de-tar/clay I'd say the best bet would be fairy liquid and a Polish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Had chocolate milk leak through my paper shopping bags. My poor seat :(

4c72XcS.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Speaking of clay I have yet to attempt using it. What am I in for?

The impression I get is that most of ye don't enjoy it :pac:

Danger781 wrote: »

Pretty simple and easy to use, I use mine with Meguiar's Quick Detailer as the lubricant, just make sure you don't drop it on the floor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

dorgasm wrote:
    Had chocolate milk leak through my paper shopping bags. My poor seat

Ah it's on leather though. I had some ginnit spill chocolate milk all over fabric seats, dash etc..... such a mess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Ah it's on leather though. I had some ginnit spill chocolate milk all over fabric seats, dash etc..... such a mess!

Oh can only imagine the smell too! I'm gonna have to get a brite pad to it, but could be worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

I like doing it especially if car bit rough feeling :pac: Use a drop of fairy with water in spray bottle myself, good lubrication and rids paint of any old wax.

Vinyl leather in majority of cars, good squirt with bit of APC wipe away the worst then hit with leather cleaner or hair dryer soften chocolate again and get the/a dog to lick it off pre leather cleaner :pac::pac::pac: :P :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Does anybody have any experience with just using a regular bucket and buying the grit guard seperate or do they not fit in properly ? Or even one of those catering buckets you see in restaurants for mayonnaise and the likes ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Does anybody have any experience with just using a regular bucket and buying the grit guard seperate or do they not fit in properly ? Or even one of those catering buckets you see in restaurants for mayonnaise and the likes ?

I don't bother with a grit guard. I've a right mix of buckets (washed out paint gallons, catering buckets, etc). I throw an old wash mit or two into the bottom of the buckets and I never leave the wash mit touch the bottom.

Another solution is the plastic containers the Chinese take-away's use. Grab a few of them, bore a good few holes/slots and place them on the bottom of the buckets, upside down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

I don't mind buying the grit guards at all but some of the buckets are over a 10er. It would be great though if my 2 Euro buckets I already have could be used with the grit guards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Scratch Guards are adjustable - they have a fairly narrow central ring, but legs/tabs that are adjustable, to extend out to the edges should the buckets be wider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

ianobrien wrote:
    I don't bother with a grit guard. I've a right mix of buckets (washed out paint gallons, catering buckets, etc). I throw an old wash mit or two into the bottom of the buckets and I never leave the wash mit touch the bottom.

Good idea man. Then we can also use this old mitt to clean alloys :)

Spent about 4 hours yesterday giving the car some TLC.. after spending so long making her look clean it's hard not to be annoyed at these..

I assume this would be cost a substantial fee to fix..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Spent about 4 hours yesterday giving the car some TLC.. after spending so long making her look clean it's hard not to be annoyed at these..

I assume this would be cost a substantial fee to fix..

The only solution for that is a respray. It is frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

chaps.

looking to pick up a DA + some decent cutting polish.

i dont think my megane mk3 has ever been polished, save for some hand applied srp. therefore it really needs it at this stage. i have very decent waxes and clays etc so im purely looking at polishes.

is this a decent cutting polish for a DA and is this combo good value?

GAoAV6m.png

I'd recommend that you go for the more powerful version of the DA, the Pro version. The extra 350w of power, 500w versus 850w makes a big difference. Others, who have experience with both, will agree.

The Menzerna Power Finish is a grand polish, but dont forget that you will also need a finishing polish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I would agree with Curran. Get the pro version.

I ordered this in the end http://www.duke-handel.de/Polisher-Dual-Action-KB-710W-with-set-2

€137 delivered. seems like a good unit with decent power.

Just looking at polishes now - what is the general consensus for Megs Ultimate Compound?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

What are people's opinions on the nano coatings?

Seen some fantastic results by Spirit detailing and have heard good things from a few other detailers.

Thinking that I may go down that route in a few months with my car.

Are these products on the market a while?
    I've only heard of them recently enough.

mik_da_man wrote: »

Seen some fantastic results by Spirit detailing and have heard good things from a few other detailers.

They have been on the market with a few years or so now, I have tried them, Currently after applying Cquartz UK on my car and Dlux on my wheels.

I tried Wolfs products as well before.

As for Brians results and pics. I would be very wary about expecting to get the same results as he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I applied Gtechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer and EXO V2 Hybrid Coating to my 335 and the result was a car that beaded at the sight of water, didn't need to be waxed or polished for 1.5 years (I did it anyway :pac: ) and a superb shine. It's best obviously to apply these kind of coatings to a car that has had a paint correction or an enhancement to a level at which you are happy as once these products are applied and cured, they will have to be removed in order to get back down to the lacquer layer where scratches are.

As everyone knows, I'm a huge, huge fan of Gtechniq products and these 2 get my vote.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

vectra wrote: »
    They have been on the market with a few years or so now, I have tried them, Currently after applying Cquartz UK on my car and Dlux on my wheels.

I tried Wolfs products as well before.

As for Brians results and pics. I would be very wary about expecting to get the same results as he does.

Oh I'm not expecting to do it myself!
    I'd give it to a professional for that :)

Oh I'm not expecting to do it myself!
    I'd give it to a professional for that :)

Brian would be your man there.
    I think he is hooked on opti coat products at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Anywhere in Ireland selling decent polishes/compounds? 3M, Meguiars 105/205, Menzerna?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Try danddetailing and detailshed not sure the brands are all there but there irish.

millington wrote: »
    Anywhere in Ireland selling decent polishes/compounds? 3M, Meguiars 105/205, Menzerna?

I got my Menzerna polishes from D&D Detailing, not sure about the rest!

The best place to get the other polishes is cleanyourcar.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Where is the best place to buy iron x? I am going to order some things from detailing shed but they are out of stock. Anywhere else?

Thanks

You could get OAC Iron Cleanse from Detailing Shed instead. I find it a LOT better at sticking. IronX is very liquidy and runs straight off whereas Iron Cleanse is more gel-like.

• Advertisement

Out of stock too!

Korrosol is another option, and in 1ltr bottles works out better value than both suggested! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Thanks chaps, I have used Iron x before but not those. I'll go with that one then so Curran.

Oooh I forgot about Korrosol. I've used that recently and have quite a bit left. It's very good. You should also get AutoWheel (also made by Bilt Hamber) in order to keep on top of the contaminants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

You could also use Korrosol found it worked really well.

I ordered this in the end http://www.duke-handel.de/Polisher-Dual-Action-KB-710W-with-set-2

€137 delivered. seems like a good unit with decent power.

Is that a rotary? Can any of ye guys confirm whether or not it'd be worth buying one of them and putting my DAS Pro in the bin where it belongs? (:p)

That Site wrote:
    DUAL ACTION, ECCENTRIC POLISHER - The machine does eccentric/orbital rotary motion.

Sounds like its an orbital rotary with a dual action eccentric motion... haha.

Is that a rotary? Can any of ye guys confirm whether or not it'd be worth buying one of them and putting my DAS Pro in the bin where it belongs? (:p)

What exactly is wrong with the Pro that a Rotary would solve? Admittedly, I only got mine but it's been fantastic in correcting my paint, so much so that my brother, who got a full respray is jealous of it.

• Advertisement

It has now been a few days since I washed the car and I'm a little bit disappointed that she isn't quite as shiny as I was hoping. Not sure if that's down to the paint or the products / methods I used..

Rinse with power hose (Karcher K4)
    Foam (Stock lance with demon foam, not great)
    Hand Wash w/ Microfiber mit
    Rinse
    Dry
    Clay (Meguiars)
    Rinse
    Dry
    Hand Polish (Meguiars)
    Hand Wax (Meguiars)

What can I do better? Also, what do you lads normally do as a quick 'touch up' to keep the shine going? After a week it's already getting dusty again..

What exactly is wrong with the Pro that a Rotary would solve? Admittedly, I only got mine but it's been fantastic in correcting my paint, so much so that my brother, who got a full respray is jealous of it.

The only advantage of a rotary above a DAS6 Pro is that it would do the job faster. That is also the downside too though if you're not used to using these machines.

You made the right choice in buying the Pro so relax!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sammy1234

What car wash could be used for Matt paint jobs? Getting me car sprayed next week

It has now been a few days since I washed the car and I'm a little bit disappointed that she isn't quite as shiny as I was hoping. Not sure if that's down to the paint or the products / methods I used..

Rinse with power hose (Karcher K4)
    Foam (Stock lance with demon foam, not great)
    Hand Wash w/ Microfiber mit
    Rinse
    Dry
    Clay (Meguiars)
    Rinse
    Dry
    Hand Polish (Meguiars)
    Hand Wax (Meguiars)

What can I do better? Also, what do you lads normally do as a quick 'touch up' to keep the shine going? After a week it's already getting dusty again..

You can't do anything to stop a car getting dusty. There's dust in the air everywhere you go. Nothing you change in your wash/seal technique can change that.

If it's only light dust, a quick detailer of some sort would be fine to mist on and wipe. If there's dirt or anything like that, wash the car instead and follow that with a quick detailer or something like Gtechniq C2V3 or OAC Perfection.

Firstly, the stock lance isn't a snowfoam lance; it won't produce a tick foam like a proper lance would.

Can't really fault your process; and you really should have seen some improvement in the appearance of the car. Even if you were to use the worst wax or sealant on the car; it should last a week. And even at that, the process of decontaminating the paintwork should have improved it somewhat too; and the wouldn't get contaminated so quickly.

What car is it?

There isn't whole lot you can do about it getting dusty, obviously, but after the job you've done, it should only take a quick wash and dry to restore it. In terms of quick detailer sprays to boost shine; there are several, Chemical Guys Speed Wipe or Blitz, Dodo Juice Red Mist, Poorboys Spray & Gloss or QD+, would be a few worth looking at. Some will be more suited as a light wipe down of dust after a short drive for example; others would offer 1-2 weeks protection.

• Advertisement

Sammy1234 wrote: »
    What car wash could be used for Matt paint jobs? Getting me car sprayed next week

Do you mean hand wash, brush wash, jet wash?
    Hand wash only. Matt paint is easy to mark and can't be corrected like regular paintwork by machine correction.

There are specific matt shampoos and quick detailers. Chemical Guys make a range call Meticulous Matte

Yeah the foam attachment that came with the Karcher K4 is useless - Detailing shed didn't have the lance I wanted though! :P

There was an improvement in the car - Definitely! I'm happy enough and I've brought back some of the shine but was just hoping for better results I guess. Quick detailer is probably what I'm looking for - Something to give the car a quick wipe with over the weekend rather than filling buckets or getting the power hose. I'll look into picking some up.

Birds also like my car a lot. Two different stains on my car now.

The car is '05 Mini One in Electric Blue which unfortunately has a number of scratches and other cosmetic issues :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Can anyone recommend a decent car wash in Cork? I'm down for a few days and just spotted that some lovely birds are after crapping on the bonnet.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Sounds like its an orbital rotary with a dual action eccentric motion... haha.

not sure if your laughing at this unit or not. the German translation might be a bit off but this is a true DA.

besides, even the DA6 and megs DA's makes reference to the word orbital
    the DAS-6 PRO Dual Action Polisher which quite simply is the best random orbital car polisher available
    Meguiar's Dual Action Polisher produces a low risk, dual-action, rotation and orbit pattern

There was an improvement in the car - Definitely! I'm happy enough and I've brought back some of the shine but was just hoping for better results I guess.

The car is '05 Mini One in Electric Blue which unfortunately has a number of scratches and other cosmetic issues :(

Better results in what sense?

Mini paintwork will be extremely hard, so there wont be much done by the hand polish, other than removing oxidation and restoring shine. Not sure how good the Megs polish is at hiding defects, but it should have done some.

If you are trying to achieve ultimate shine and gloss, then perhaps a glaze would be worth considering. Also, there are waxes available that are have additives in them to help enhance certain colours; Dodo Juice Blue Velvet for example might help give and extra bit of depth to the paintwork.

The only advantage of a rotary above a DAS6 Pro is that it would do the job faster. That is also the downside too though if you're not used to using these machines.

You made the right choice in buying the Pro so relax!

Oh I know, it just seems weird to want to bin it!
    h3000 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a decent car wash in Cork? I'm down for a few days and just spotted that some lovely birds are after crapping on the bonnet.

D&D Detailing on the Monaghan Road would sort you out if you're in the city!

The DAS Pro is a capable machine - the likes of microfiber pads help beef it up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sammy1234

Curran wrote: »
    Do you mean hand wash, brush wash, jet wash?
    Hand wash only. Matt paint is easy to mark and can't be corrected like regular paintwork by machine correction.

There are specific matt shampoos and quick detailers. Chemical Guys make a range call Meticulous Matte

Thanks man appreciate it,it'll be hand washed just looking for which shampoo to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

D&D Detailing on the Monaghan Road would sort you out if you're in the city!

Popped into D&D but the lads were flat out. Nice guys though.

I just got a jet was in the Amber station on the N71 and head out the N40 for a quick air dry. It's just waxed so it dryed of fairly well. Will give it a good was when I get home.

5CA81996-17B7-4BEC-8B26-794710DF8F62.jpg

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Ah I was just partly joking, really. DAS6Pro is a fairly decent bit of kit, and it does do a good job. You really need, as Curran said above, some Microfibre pads for it though.

My issue with it, is that mine kind of acts like a hoover of sorts, in that it sucks the will to live out of me. :p

I enjoy keeping on top of car cleaning, but after doing a half a dozen full machine polishes, I've started to dread the thoughts of taking the DAS out, because I know it'll be in my hands for a full day if I do. :( And even then, I'll still nit pick.

I regret just not buying a rotary from day one. I think the potential for damage from them is probably exaggerated quite a bit. Considering I was able to fix up small sanding marks with the DAS6Pro (with only a coarse sandpaper causing any real issues), I think you'd have to leave a rotary on the bonnet, held down with a brick, and go and get 2-3 cups of tea and watch a film before you'd return to any potential damage :P

... But then, I've never used a rotary, so...

• Advertisement
Advertisement