Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Detailing chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Rotary polishers have the potential to do some very serious damage if not given the proper respect.

With a DA, your statement would be true....leave a rotary in a single spot with a heavy pad and compound for 30 seconds and you might be coming back to a nice shiny finish; of bare metal! :P
    OK, that's an exaggeration, but the clearcoat may be struck through, or removed enough to be seriously comprised, in that it might be so thin, it will fail over time.
    Another thing; don't think far away hill are green. Doing a car with a rotary, and you'll still have the machine in your hands for most of the day, especially if you want to avoid holograms; which are less of an issue with DAs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

@ KKV
    If you are looking to upgrade to a rotary I can strongly recommend the EP801.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Well, my order arrived!

8ZG9fPt.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Did you get all those pads included with the polisher?

Yea they all came with it. Savage deal really. Orange and black are medium/hard and the whites are finishing/waxing. The machine itself is absolutely rock solid feels so well made - and quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭crasy dash

How much did it set you back?

The deal was like €112. Delivered and all was €137. Couldn't see anything else online for the power and kit for that money.

Serious value in fairness best luck with it let us know how you get on with it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Newtown90

The deal was like €112. Delivered and all was €137. Couldn't see anything else online for the power and kit for that money.

I have one of these for about 18 months now!

I just bought different pads a few weeks ago for it!

It works well anyhow for the money!

• Advertisement

Pads probably won't be the highest quality but sure when you get that many, you won't be stuck! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Got my Fusso last night, now I have to wait until Monday to finish the final stage and wax it :(

Quick question guys have terrible circulation in my hands so when I'm at the car doing anything after a few min I'm in agony with the cold.

Any advice re gloves the professionals use haha.
    Thanks all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

I use the throw away mechanics glove or doctors gloves. Both cost about 5-10e for box of 100 gloves.

Got a mate up north who wears marigolds, thought he was joking till I watched/helped with a detail job one time.

Not likely to help much to with aches though, my hip needs replacing and find once it don't want to know your just stuck with it.

Thanks ed have tried those before unfortunately they don't help me.

Off to aldi so for pink merrigold I'll give them a try.

was cutting it fine with the rain today! spent the whole time looking up like don't do it ya bastard!

anyway, small bit of a rush job but got a wash, clay, ultra compound, cg blacklight and cg v7 done!

didnt really get pics before the wash but the car was manky. few pics...

ErLHI3z.jpg?2

Ultimate compound on the DA is exactly what it needed. i simply could not get the swirls and scratches out by hand and this did the trick. id say if i had a bit more time on the polishing stage it would have come up even better.
    WEJwIpc.jpg?1

CG Blacklight is far far better applied by DA. I used it twice by hand before and was not really impressed. much better spread on the DA. after x1 coat:
    S4B2Cdx.jpg?2

mPCzYy4.jpg?2

76gfUq2.jpg?2

lQeeSuo.jpg?2

topped off with V7. Again rushing a bit becuase the clouds were coming in... but i must say i have never seen the metalic pop on the car like this. swirls are 80% gone.

p6GxtQu.jpg?2

9vqDJUd.jpg?2

1SlZV9h.jpg?2

hbjzm0K.jpg?1

5 mins after i finish it starts to rain! its beading like mad now just hope the products get time to properly cure when it dries...

Will have to dress the tyres tomorrow and do the glass.

imgur seems to have compressed the ****e out of the pics, album here if your interested. http://imgur.com/a/IZoDa#0

• Advertisement

crasy dash wrote: »
    Quick question guys have terrible circulation in my hands so when I'm at the car doing anything after a few min I'm in agony with the cold.

Thanks all.

I have this problem as well.
    I am a long time sufferer of Raynaud's phenomenon
    Perhaps this is what you have?

Nothing can be done to avoid it unfortunately.
    I also now have rheumatoid arthritis in my fingers on my left hand and in my knuckles of my right hand.

Osteoarthritis in right knee and right hip.

Just have to suffer on and choose mild days to get the jobs done.

Are you using warm water in your bucket?
    This would help you.

As for wearing gloves, if they are any way tight they will restrict circulation and only amplify the problem.

Thanks for the reply vectra and the link.

Have tried the warm water still get cold ,as you say just have to do the work on a mild day

Thanks all.

Probably not any good for water-related activities, but if you're polishing, etc. a pair of cycling gloves can be the bees knees.

I had a pair of fingerless ones I got in argos before, and I used them for everything. Fantastic gloves with an almost gel-like palm on them. Always loved them (not sure where they have since disappeared to, but I used them for pretty much everything for about 2-3 years, so I got my money's worth :P ).

They have a 'full' pair (without the fingers cut off) that seem to be just the same thing again. I liked them cos they held in a bit of warmth, but you never got sweaty hands with them. But that said, they may have changed them since I bought my ones (about 4-5 years ago, although they're still branded as "Challenge").

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=cycling+gloves&authToken=

Might not be of any help with your exact issue, but I just thought i'd mention them. Sure if ya hate them you can always throw them in the boot should you ever want them when changing a puncture or burying a body or such. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Morning. I live close to were there was a large fire last night. My car is now covered in small bits of ash and soot. How should I go about washing the car now? Should I just drench it in water first to rinse it down and then go about washing it like I usually would?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

markc1184 wrote: »
    Morning. I live close to were there was a large fire last night. My car is now covered in small bits of ash and soot. How should I go about washing the car now? Should I just drench it in water first to rinse it down and then go about washing it like I usually would?

I would foam it like normal and rinse thoroughly. That should get rid of it. A power washer would be the best thing to use for the rinsing. I had similar over the summer.

• Advertisement

Thanks all.

When I was detailing through the winter months, I use to wear a thin pair of gloves inside of the rubber gloves, and the kettle was working overtime to help take the bitterness out of the buckets of water! :P

Thanks for the reply feel like a man of 90 asking the question:pac:

Was looking on amazon and came across these so ill give them a go i think
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/boutique1583-Cold-proof-Winter-Protection-Water-proof/dp/B00GH1KZU6/ref=pd_cart_vw_2_3_p?ie=UTF8&refRID=09F37ARXNR9NY79ZA29P

As im a complete begineer on to my next question what do i need to use to remove light swirl marks on my car its an audi so i know it will be tough.

I can get the loan of a das pro 6, i want to have everything i need when i tackle it so lets get started with the shopping list:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I can get the loan of a das pro 6, i want to have everything i need when i tackle it so lets get started with the shopping list:)

For the preparation - detar, deiron, clay
    During - Fresh pads and polish if they are needed, microfibers, possibly an inspection spray to break down the polish to ensure you've gotten the correction you are happy with - polish hides swirls quite well
    Afterwards - a product to protect after; wax or sealant, pH neutral shampoo, good wash mitt and drying, two buckets to ensure they swirls dont re-appear! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Ok if you were to get your car detailed at a garage how long would they need it?? A day or more??

Really depends on your expectations - and it would be detailed at a garage, like a dealership....you dont want them detailing your car.
    A one day enhancement will do a good job on a daily driver.

Curran wrote: »
    Really depends on your expectations - and it would be detailed at a garage, like a dealership....you dont want them detailing your car.
    A one day enhancement will do a good job on a daily driver.

Oh no not a dealership more like Brian at Spirit and I want it glowing :D I like shiny

Depends on the condition really - if its bad and you want it perfect, it could be 3 days work.

Depends on the condition really - if its bad and you want it perfect, it could be 3 days work.

It's only a month old so it's in great condition. I just want it more shiny

Would only need a days work - provided you have been washing it correctly, and the dealership didnt do anything too stupid in preparing the car.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Will give them a ring tomorrow :)

Member on here would be quite local; might be worth asking him - MetzgerMeister

Any advice on prep for use of HydrO2? I see it says to use a shampoo with no waxes to wash the car beforehand. Would it be wise to give the car an APC wash too?

*Kol* wrote: »
    Any advice on prep for use of HydrO2? I see it says to use a shampoo with no waxes to wash the car beforehand. Would it be wise to give the car an APC wash too?

Would be no harm doing the APC wash after a shampoo wash if you were unsure about the shampoo.
    You don't want a shampoo with gloss enhancers for example; what one do you have?

In the past I've done a quick wash, rinse, fallout remover, rinse, HydrO2, rinse, dry....Savage result for very little effort!! :)

Would be no harm doing the APC wash after a shampoo wash if you were unsure about the shampoo.
    You don't want a shampoo with gloss enhancers for example; what one do you have?

In the past I've done a quick wash, rinse, fallout remover, rinse, HydrO2, rinse, dry....Savage result for very little effort!! :)

I have Meguiars Ultimate wash and wax so that's out I guess. I also have a Muc Off shampoo which i don't use because it seems to cause terrible water marks. I might have to break out the Fairy Liquid! I am nearly out of Iron X. When I finish the IronX would it be okay to use the bottle for the HydrO2 if I clean it out properly?

Give it a good wash and when doing so, flush the trigger too and you should be grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

Sorry wrong thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HKCE660/

Nilfisk E 130.3-9 X-TRA 2KW Excellence Pressure Washer w/ Accessory Pack

Going on lightning deal today if anyone is interested

Normal price: £275.00

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭DoctorStrange

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vax-W87-RH-P-Ultimate-Upright-Upholstery/dp/B00B7HZ316

I have the above carpet cleaner and it's been great in the car so far.

Two questions:

Would it be safe to go at the headliner with this? It's fairly dirty, previous owner smoking I think.

Should I use the Vax carpet cleaning solution or APC?

Car is a bmw e46.

• Advertisement

Yeah, should be fine. I'd use the solution that came with it. Just be careful not to wet it too much or you risk the headlining sagging. Be sure to vac up as much moisture and I'd advise having some dehumidifier bags ready to throw into the car when dine to help draw the moisture.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭DoctorStrange

Yeah, should be fine. I'd use the solution that came with it. Just be careful not to wet it too much or you risk the headlining sagging. Be sure to vac up as much moisture and I'd advise having some dehumidifier bags ready to throw into the car when dine to help draw the moisture.

I'll post some pics if it goes well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Spent a couple of hours at the car yesterday. Happy with the way it came out, just need to purchase some kind of decent alloy cleaner!

Raining all day today here so I had to take a picture of the wax doing its work :pac:

IMG_4207_zpsggveuigd.jpg

IMG_4208_zpsjcsdbzub.jpg

IMG_4209_zps3jjqz8mr.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Bilt Hamber AutoWheel is the last wheel cleaner you'll buy ;)

Second the Bilt Hamber, quality stuff. I find AutoGlym's Custom Wheels very good too, especially handy with the brushes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

There's some great work on this forum as usual.

I'm wondering what's the story with using clayey a car seems to give much better results than just polishing it. What the procedure do you clean and de tar car first. If the clay is picking up all the contaminants surly it would scratch the paint work then. I understand you use it with detailer but what do you do and do you just dry of the detailer after or wash it again ?

Would this be a good starter kit to use?
    http://www.halfords.ie/motoring-travel/cleaning-body-repair/detailing-products/meguiars-quik-clay-starter-kit
    It will probably be December before I get around to all this but I'd like to give the Megane a good going over then as I think the paintwork would come up well after a good clean. Thanks for the advice in advance.c

• Advertisement

CIP4 wrote: »

I'm wondering what's the story with using clayey a car seems to give much better results than just polishing it. What the procedure do you clean and de tar car first. If the clay is picking up all the contaminants surly it would scratch the paint work then. I understand you use it with detailer but what do you do and do you just dry of the detailer after or wash it again ?

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring-travel/cleaning-body-repair/detailing-products/meguiars-quik-clay-starter-kit
    It will probably be December before I get around to all this but I'd like to give the Megane a good going over then as I think the paintwork would come up well after a good clean. Thanks for the advice in advance.c

Thats fine,
    I use that on my own car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

Is there a difference between BH Auto wheel and Korrosol? Are they the same type of product from different manufacturers? I got Korrosol from Curran, and it's great tack on the wheels.

TIA

ratracer wrote: »
    Is there a difference between BH Auto wheel and Korrosol? Are they the same type of product from different manufacturers? I got Korrosol from Curran, and it's great tack on the wheels.

TIA

Korrosol is a dedicated Fallout Remover that can be used everywhere and is very good on wheels, Auto Wheel I believe is a bit nicer on wheels as it only contains some Fallout Remover. Best to use Korrosol for heavy contamination every few weeks or months if it's bad while Auto Wheel you can use for every clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Just to add to what FN said, AutoWheel is a dedicated wheel cleaner with some fallout remover in it. It's best used as part of your normal wash if you've spent the time totally decontaminating your alloys with Korrosol which is the same thing as Iron X or Iron Cleanse due to the fact that it contains some fallout remover so you won't have to do a full decontamination for a long time as it's kept at bay.

Both AutoWheel and Korrosol are made by Bilt Hamber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

CIP4 wrote: »

I started with same kit basically.

Yes wash/rinse again after, before give car good wash plus apc/fallout remover clean n rinse and then inspect car if your seeing quite bad tar contanimation then I would recommend a tar remover and rinse before spraying the quick detailer on 1 st panel and then using section clay (not whole) needed flat quickly work away with it.

Once that detailer is finished most clay's will work with water and maybe a little APC/fairy liquid mixed in with it. I use a drop of fairy then fill with water.

• Advertisement
Advertisement