Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Detailing chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭yannakis

The estate I live in has it's own well, if this drought continues, we might be getting a notice from the management company.. Until then, everybody seems to be watering their gardens as usual :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Made the mistake of parking my car outside the apartment for two nights earlier this week, and it was destroyed with sap and flower that the trees on our street are shedding at the moment. Will be getting acquainted with my local jet wash this week...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Any opinions on the pressure washer coming into Lidl tomorrow? I'm looking for something fairly basic for the new house, Karcher and Nilfisk etc out of budget at the moment so want something to tide me over awhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Don't waste your money on cheap pressure washers. I've had 2 cheapos, a lower end karcher and now a nilfisk

Buy once cry once..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Dave147 wrote: »
    Any opinions on the pressure washer coming into Lidl tomorrow? I'm looking for something fairly basic for the new house, Karcher and Nilfisk etc out of budget at the moment so want something to tide me over awhile.

Apparently the aldi one for around 95 euro or so is a rebranded Lavor and supposedly decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I've nothing but bad experiences buying from Aldi/Lidl, everything from Crevit sports/bike gear/accessories/pumps to Tevion electronics. All crap to be honest. Waterproof bike jacket wasn't waterproof and zip broke day one, bike pump pressure gauge broken from new, Laptop faulty etc.

As someone said buy once. You can get a Nilfisk from Amazon for as low as €85.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

vectra wrote: »
    Apparently the aldi one for around 95 euro or so is a rebranded Lavor and supposedly decent.

I've a lavor and a kranzle. The lavor is atleast 8 years old, never once has it gave a bit of trouble. Kranzle had to get a new hose and gave trouble 3 or 4 times. Find myself using the lavor a lot more than the kranzle

• Moderators Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I've nothing but bad experiences buying from Aldi/Lidl, everything from Crevit sports/bike gear/accessories/pumps to Tevion electronics. All crap to be honest. Waterproof bike jacket wasn't waterproof and zip broke day one, bike pump pressure gauge broken from new, Laptop faulty etc.

As someone said buy once. You can get a Nilfisk from Amazon for as low as €85.

Got this nilfisk for £56 when it was on their deal of the day:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MRWOSJE

There's 2 massive bird craps on the car. I suppose I'll let it eat away at the paint since I'm not allowed wash it then send the bill for paint correction to Irish Water? ;)

On a more serious note, is it worth touching up stone chips myself? I have a touch up kit from VW and there's a stone chip on the very bottom of the front bumper. Is better to leave as is or do an amateur touch up? I'd only be dabbing the smallest drop of paint onto it though wouldn't be going mad on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

ianobrien wrote: »
    One done, two vehicles left to do......

Its a bit of a panic to get them done before Friday at 6pm

I got everything washed before the hose pipe ban came in. They got a quick wash and dry. My 2 and a half year old niece was looking at my car after I washed it and said "it's still dirty". The little so-in-so then pointed to the tiny tar spots by the rear wheel arch.

I don't know to be annoyed for her spotting the tar (I didn't detar it as I hadn't time to seal it properly afterwords) or to be proud of another potential detailer in the making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I got everything washed before the hose pipe ban came in. They got a quick wash and dry. My 2 and a half year old niece was looking at my car after I washed it and said "it's still dirty". The little so-in-so then pointed to the tiny tar spots by the rear wheel arch.

I don't know to be annoyed for her spotting the tar (I didn't detar it as I hadn't time to seal it properly afterwords) or to be proud of another potential detailer in the making.

Wait till she finds a brillo pad and decides to help ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

On a more serious note, is it worth touching up stone chips myself? I have a touch up kit from VW and there's a stone chip on the very bottom of the front bumper. Is better to leave as is or do an amateur touch up? I'd only be dabbing the smallest drop of paint onto it though wouldn't be going mad on it.

Hard to get good results with a brush kit, I'm going to invest on one of these:

https://www.drcolourchip.co.uk/

Hard to get good results with a brush kit, I'm going to invest on one of these:

https://www.drcolourchip.co.uk/

Their videos on how it works are terrible! Out of focus, shakey, and really haphazard job done on some of them. People seem to be pretty positive about the stuff though.
    £50 for a standard kit, but then a further £22 on shipping? :eek:

£22 on shipping? :eek:

Madness alright, £6 to NI with Parcel Motel.

Be sure to keep us posted on how it goes. I wouldn't mind touching up my own car in a few places, but then again, might be trading up in the next 6 months -> year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Be sure to keep us posted on how it goes. I wouldn't mind touching up my own car in a few places, but then again, might be trading up in the next 6 months -> year.

How's all that stuff going for you?

How's all that stuff going for you?

Great! Shows off my stone chips though :(
    The hosepipe ban doesn't help me either though. I've plans to give my wives car a proper strip down and protection but 1) no water wastage, and 2) Baby on the way. It's a race against time...

Actually, the quick detailer was a great help last Friday. Gave the car a wash on Wednesday (with the help of a drop of rain), but noticed a few spots before a wedding I was heading to. QD tidied it up nicely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

. I've plans to give my wives car

respect.

Lads, I can't deal with this ban anymore!

Lads, I can't deal with this ban anymore!

MOD: Banned. Please don't post in this forum while you're already banned.

:pac:

• Advertisement

Super impressed, leaves a very smooth, near invisible repair superior to anything I could get with a touch up brush. Would recommend highly.

I haven't touched my car in at least 3 months.

Got it painted where was damaged and can't wait to get it gleaming again.

Last time I cleaned it and was all polished up etc I was going into local shop and had a guy wanting to buy it....

He wouldn't believe me it was a 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Mine in bad need of a good wash also, to sacred to leave it in with anyone to do it at the moment! Might just power was off as much as I can at Topaz (without using the brush, just the lance)

Any other recommendations?

Mine in bad need of a good wash also, to sacred to leave it in with anyone to do it at the moment! Might just power was off as much as I can at Topaz (without using the brush, just the lance)

Any other recommendations?

That is what I have been doing
    Take some wheel cleaner with me
    Some snow foam / APC/Water mix in a spray bottle
    Spray wheel with cleaner
    spray car with mix
    Blast off the dirt.

Nothing more I can do for now.

I've often been asked why I use Bilt Hamber AutoWheel in every wash. Curran has always said that it's a waste and he is right...for the majority of users. I've done a little video to show why I do it along with a few pics:

Before (about 2 weeks of brake dust and dirt build-up)

43330565995_a53c968182_z.jpg

AutoWheel on:

43330566535_1339953d73_z.jpg

After:

29300591787_5859c5f6ac_z.jpg

Here's the video to show how effortless it is i.e. spray on, spray off and no scrubbing and the reason why I do it. Please note though, I have Gtechniq Crystal Serum and EXO on the wheels which I had left over from when I did the car. You would more than likely get the same effect from C5 Wheel Armour.

https://flic.kr/p/2ap3Jzn

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

Using onr . Spray first and leave a few seconds, about 10 microfiber towels in the bucket of onr and glide the dirt off with no pressure. Dry then buff. Works really well on the windows. Had to do something with it over the summer as the dust on the cars was driving me nuts. Dont seem to be damaging the paint at all, id still prefer the proper wash method but the results from the onr is impressive.

I'm confused, what is it about Auto Wheel that is a waste? I got it as I was in need of wheel cleaner anyway, the iron remover is just a bonus. I was pleasantly surprised by the ability to spray on and rinse off. It's a huge time saver especially as it saves me having to scrub each wheel and I also don't need an extra rinse bucket for the wheel woolies.

It's a waste given the cost of it vs a regular wheel cleaner which needs scrubbing. They say to use AutoWheel every 3rd or 4th wash and a regular wheel cleaner in between. Personally I think the cost is negated given that I don't have to buy a second wheel cleaner but there you are!

I've got two bottles of it, one at the original concentration (and used every second or third time) and another with it diluted approx 50:50 in water. That's the one I usually use.

• Advertisement

deisedav wrote: »
    Using onr . Spray first and leave a few seconds, about 10 microfiber towels in the bucket of onr and glide the dirt off with no pressure. Dry then buff. Works really well on the windows. Had to do something with it over the summer as the dust on the cars was driving me nuts. Dont seem to be damaging the paint at all, id still prefer the proper wash method but the results from the onr is impressive.

I'm not convinced with this system :o

I'm not convinced with this system :o

I sent you the picture of the bus (7 seater) i think you liked it. Try it for yourself you might enjoy it after you get your head around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I never trusted ONR, see lads and ladies raving about it online. Always in two minds about trying it out tho

I sent you the picture of the bus (7 seater) i think you liked it. Try it for yourself you might enjoy it after you get your head around it.

You did
    And I did :D

Just can't bring myself to try it :o

You did
    And I did :D

Just can't bring myself to try it :o

I hear you. The water ban shouldn't be too much longer hopefully.

I hear you. The water ban shouldn't be too much longer hopefully.

31st August

• Advertisement

31st August

Guaranteed they will extend it.
    All in the game for pushing for water charges.

Guaranteed they will extend it.
    All in the game for pushing for water charges.

Seems fine for contractors to use fire hydrants to wash buildings and structures.

Dundrum the last few nights they were jet washing the luas lift shaft outer casing and around part of the bridge to the re paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

If you are not opposed to letting others wash it during the ban, I've found 5 star Auto Valet to be very good (I'm assuming they are not affected by the ban).

Seems fine for contractors to use fire hydrants to wash buildings and structures.

Dundrum the last few nights they were jet washing the luas lift shaft outer casing and around part of the bridge to the re paint.

It’s a ban on domestic hose pipes, not commercial.

It’s a ban on domestic hose pipes, not commercial.

Are fire hydrants allowed to be used.

Seems bizarre to be honest.

• Advertisement

The ban is over in cork now, yeah?

Next sunday ??

Well, I kinda hope so. I've a backlog of stuff to get through. Me own car is manky.

Next sunday ??
    Well, I kinda hope so. I've a backlog of stuff to get through. Me own car is manky.

Whoops....

Washed both cars at the weekend there. Between all the showers.

Reported about 4 leaks over the dry period (Fair play to IW, they fixed them all). Will that hold up in court?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Some questions..
    1. Anyone wash their car while it was raining, while hosepipe ban in effect, what are the downsides?

2. What pad should I be using with the DA, when removing swirl marks, with Meguairs ultimate Compound?

3. Anyone recommend best handwash place near Dublin Airport, that use washmits/gritguards etc. ?

4. How are you guys/gals washing your microfibre towels/applicators etc(i'm tons of them used for whatever and forget what I used them for, so I just buy more?

5. Where/how are you storing all your towels/applicators?

The hose pipe ban has been extended. Rats!

I'll have to keep my mouth shut or I'll end up getting a slap on the wrist for foul language. Or I could head to the ranting and raving forum .....

The leaks must have gotten much worse. :rolleyes:

The hose pipe ban has been extended. Rats!

Their website says until end of August?

Their website says until end of August?

They just released the flowing news just there.

They are putting a stop to the flow of hose piles till 30th September.

I need to wash my car so going to have to do it the old and very hard way.

I miss being able to jet wash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Next sunday ??

End of Sept 😞

• Advertisement
Advertisement