Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Detailing chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

yannakis wrote: »
    So I've been practicing the standard wash this summer (foam, wheel brushes, 2 buckets, de-tar, de-iron) up until the hose ban kicked in. I was planning to step up my game a bit, so got this rather basic DA polisher and this 125mm backing plate. Now with the hose ban hopefully ending soon, I want to buy the rest of the items and do the job!

From my research I'm missing some clay, polishing pads, masking tape, and a good polish? Am I missing something?

Looking at these Chemical Guys Hex Logic pads for example, I'm getting a bit lost. Do I need a compound and a sealant too?

Can you recommend some products?

OK
    I won't recommend polishes as I haven't used a polisher with a while and polishes have moved on.
    But Menz polishes are still highly rated as far as I am aware.
    You could also use some Megs 105 and 205 polishes are they are very capable of giving great results.
    Then seal it up with whatever product of your choice. ( ie. Wax ~ Sealant ~ Ceramic coat etc)
    When I did use polishing machines I did really like the Hex pads, My favourite 3 were
    Orange for heavy cut
    Green for medium cut / finish cut
    Black for polishing.

I described the pads in easy to understand english to make it more understandable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Slattsy wrote: »
    What's happening with Detailing Shed lads? Are they wrapping up? (sad face)

I bloody hope not. I imagine the hose pipe ban really hurt as people were not washing their cars (I wasn't).

If they do, Where else am I to get my CarPro stuff and who can I annoy for "advice"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭yannakis

vectra wrote: »
    OK
    I won't recommend polishes as I haven't used a polisher with a while and polishes have moved on.
    But Menz polishes are still highly rated as far as I am aware.
    You could also use some Megs 105 and 205 polishes are they are very capable of giving great results.
    Then seal it up with whatever product of your choice. ( ie. Wax ~ Sealant ~ Ceramic coat etc)
    When I did use polishing machines I did really like the Hex pads, My favourite 3 were
    Orange for heavy cut
    Green for medium cut / finish cut
    Black for polishing.

I described the pads in easy to understand english to make it more understandable.

What would you recommend instead of polishes? I used that word without much thinking tbh.

On the pads and the examples you used above, would you go orange for Maguires 105, then green for 205, and then black for wax/sealant? Would one of each pads be enough to do the whole car in a day? (depending on the elbow grease :) )

What would you recommend when it comes to wax or sealant? I'd avoid ceramic coatings on the first go as I'd prefer to be confident the polishing part is done right before coating it with something more permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

ianobrien wrote: »
    I bloody hope not. I imagine the hose pipe ban really hurt as people were not washing their cars (I wasn't).

If they do, Where else am I to get my CarPro stuff and who can I annoy for "advice"?

Reflect Auto Care are CarPro retailers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Slattsy wrote: »
    What's happening with Detailing Shed lads? Are they wrapping up? (sad face)

Most will know that Detailing Shed was a venture of mine; though no longer! So, I can give some background.

Was owned by my brother and I, after he bought out the share from the guy I initially set up the business with, back in 2010.
    We had intended on running the Detailing Services under the Detailing Shed name too, but a split occurred before everything was in place. We agreed he would run the detailing products aspect of the business, and I would take on the Detailing Services and the Swisstrax Floor Tile under the D'Shed name.

Dont get myself involved in his affairs, but as far as I can make out; he has ceased the walk in shop, but online orders continue to be sent out, although the previously in place, next working day delivery commitment, I doubt is being kept up.
    He has taken on hours at another job, citing the Hose Pipe Ban as the reason to have to resort to the measures.

From my own perspective, the Detailing Services didnt work out for various reasons; there was plenty of customers though. May re-visit it when timing is better.
    ianobrien wrote: »
    who can I annoy for "advice"?

If anyone ever needs any help, dont hesitate to contact me; dont frequent the forum 20 times a day like in the past, but do pop in and out regular enough! Always happy to help out any detailing enthusiast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Ah that's a shame Curran.

Hope it all works out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Thanks for the update, I've always appreciated your thoughts and help over the years.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

Paid a valet garage 90 euro to remove a chronic dog smell on a car I just bought, guy has always done good work for me.

Is it reasonable to go back to him, car spotless after clean but dog smell returned once chemicals smell wore off after three days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Paid a valet garage 90 euro to remove a chronic dog smell on a car I just bought, guy has always done good work for me.

Is it reasonable to go back to him, car spotless after clean but dog smell returned once chemicals smell wore off after three days

Smells are not something easily removed, if you paid €90 for the car to be cleaned and the car is clean there's not much recourse. The smell can be well ingrained in foam, roof liners, carpets etc, removing smells like this can take days to do right and even then, you couldn't guarantee it won't return unless you go stripping the entire interior!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Are you sure its actual dog?

Over the years, Ive found that the Air Conditioning/filtration system can produce a distinctive 'wet spaniel' smell... Just a thought...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Looking for a power washer today, just for the cars. Thoughts?! Had a nilfisk before and it was good.

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1577941/Trail/searchtext>Powerwasher.htm

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Are you sure its actual dog?

Over the years, Ive found that the Air Conditioning/filtration system can produce a distinctive 'wet spaniel' smell... Just a thought...

Definitely a dog, met the family and they had the dog in the house on both occasions I was there.

Smelly fecker, only noticed the smell when driving the car home having paid for it.

Smells are not something easily removed, if you paid €90 for the car to be cleaned and the car is clean there's not much recourse. The smell can be well ingrained in foam, roof liners, carpets etc, removing smells like this can take days to do right and even then, you couldn't guarantee it won't return unless you go stripping the entire interior!

Thing is I stressed the issue of the dog smell, the car wasn't dirty inside, I'm wondering if he knew removing a dog odour was a hard task, he should perhaps have not taken it on.

Maybe I'm naive thinking anyone would turn down 90 euro.

• Moderators Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Lovely weather to have a hosepipe ban in. :rolleyes:

Lovely weather to have a hosepipe ban in. :rolleyes:

Is there still a hosepipe ban? I thought that was all over with

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Is there still a hosepipe ban? I thought that was all over with

End of this month. They extended it for most areas but some were let expire end of last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

The car is getting a good clean today anyway.

Might need a whole bottle of shampoo when I do get around to washing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Have the whole week off work next week...

I don't see why the ban can't be lifted early, nobody is using the hose at this time of the year. The heat is gone and the temperatures have dropped quite a bit. Even when it is 16-17C there's still a chill in the air and we have a mix of winds and showers. Badly need to clay the windscreen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

Restored the headlights on my girlfriend's 05 Golf yesterday:

N89yCVGl.jpg

sH4vOIRl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭DoctorStrange

From the Journal.ie

The hosepipe ban brought in during the scorching summer has now been lifted in Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary, Cork, Waterford, Wexford, Kilkenny, Carlow, Laois, Offaly, Wicklow, Meath, Westmeath, Louth, Kildare and Dublin.

Happy snow foaming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭yannakis

sdevine89 wrote: »
    Restored the headlights on my girlfriend's 05 Golf yesterday

Could you share your process? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

From the Journal.ie

The hosepipe ban brought in during the scorching summer has now been lifted in Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary, Cork, Waterford, Wexford, Kilkenny, Carlow, Laois, Offaly, Wicklow, Meath, Westmeath, Louth, Kildare and Dublin.

Happy snow foaming!

It's been too long. I was hoping to get to it today, but tomorrow will have to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭DoctorStrange

It's been too long. I was hoping to get to it today, but tomorrow will have to do!

I've a bottle of Car Pro Hydro2 and Bilt Hamber snow foam that I've been waiting to use for 4 months. Car is absolutely filthy.

Also have a set of Wheel Wollies that have never been used, next weekend going to be busy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Were do you get your gear from now last time i used detailing shed.
    Need Bilt Hamber Auto wash and Tar x or is there better alternatives.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

I get some items from Autopia
    I also get stuff from the car salon up north.
    Not sure who is doing Bilt Hamber .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

Detailing emporium have Bilt Hamber stuff, got autowheel from them recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

Blok51 have a few bits from the bilt hamber line. I use those items you mentioned myself and find them very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭high horse

Has anyone here replaced the power cable on their power washer? I just noticed that the cable on mine is frayed about 20cm from the body of the washer so cutting the wire and fitting a plug there is not really an option

Edit: it's a nilfisk if that makes any difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭crasy dash

high horse wrote: »
    Has anyone here replaced the power cable on their power washer? I just noticed that the cable on mine is frayed about 20cm from the body of the washer so cutting the wire and fitting a plug there is not really an option

What make and model is it?
    Some manufacturers like nilfisk offer spare parts for their machines

Other than that you could try remove the casing and see how it's terminated it might be a connector block or could be lugs or spade connectors.

I find YouTube great usually somebody somewhere has a video of one apart for some reason.This is a video for nilfisk series i have hope it helps
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRy6lGFwR5E

Reflect Auto Care stock CarPro and Bilt Hamber

• Advertisement

Detailing shed still has stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hose on my 9 year old Nilfisk pressure washer split on Saturday when I was cleaning the car. Replacement is costing around €40 on the likes of ebay, local guy wanted €55+vat for one ffs.

Pressure washer itself is working fine and hasn't missed a beat in 9 years which is the killer but I can buy a slightly more powerful washer for €75 delivered:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N34KV8E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1_1_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

deisedav wrote: »
    Blok51 have a few bits from the bilt hamber line. I use those items you mentioned myself and find them very good.

Have the bilt hamber wash but not the tar x ,they do have gtechnig w7 tar remover any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I want to use a wax that will last the winter without having to re apply it after every 3 washes. The wax I am using now is turtle wax and probably rubbish, the car will loose the sheen 2 or 3 washes later. Anything hardcore out there that will withstand being washed away so easy?

I want to use a wax that will last the winter without having to re apply it after every 3 washes. The wax I am using now is turtle wax and probably rubbish, the car will loose the sheen 2 or 3 washes later. Anything hardcore out there that will withstand being washed away so easy?

Collinite 845

Collinite 845

There are plenty out there
    But for ease of use and great durability,
    Either the 845 as mentioned above
    or Soft99 Fusso

But remember, Preparation is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

Have the bilt hamber wash but not the tar x ,they do have gtechnig w7 tar remover any good?

The gtechniq w7 is not bad but its also a glue remover so not as effective as the tar x in my experience. Kkd have one called tar tastic, i haven't used it myself but its supposed to be good.

yannakis wrote: »
    Could you share your process? :)

It's not very inventive or individual. I simply used this:

179824?w=637&h=403

sdevine89 wrote: »
    Update 2:

Just back from Spirit Detailing. Brian tried a good few things in his arsenal and nothing worked 100%. Clay took off some of the very heavy stuff and was maybe the best of the bunch. He hasn't seen anything like it before and it appears to have stained the clear coat (wtf is it!).

Booked in for the first available slot at the start of October with him for a few days. He is hopeful a tough polish will work on the stains and if not we are looking at some sanding.

The nightmare goes on, but happy to be in good hands and I fully believe he will get it sorted.

Update 3:

oGLqwM4l.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Wailin

Jesus that is quiet nasty alright. Hopefully you get it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

Get a chainsaw to those ba$tarding trees, who’d have thought tree sap could do that damage. Christ that is a nightmare! The best of luck with it getting it fixed.

Update 4:

After one day with Brian, this is a before and after of the bonnet. Another two days to go.

Before:

haicDF6l.jpg

After:

5BM4Zrgl.jpg

Hebegeebee wrote: »
    Get a chainsaw to those ba$tarding trees, who’d have thought tree sap could do that damage. Christ that is a nightmare! The best of luck with it getting it fixed.

They were in France so they will escape my anger, lucky for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Holy ****. Parked the car up at work and had to stop and double take. The light shining down revealed horrific swirling on the bonnet from when it got washed at the recent service. I know dealer washes are bad but the swirls it had from the delivery wash wasn't that bad, so I didn't think they'd do much harm.

Whatever they did they went to town on it. I guess there's no comeback with that? All that time and effort in the last year wasted. Might as well be using fine grit sandpaper rather than a microfiber mitt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

That's why I am always adamant that a dealership does NOT wash my car when it's in for a service.

I think they want to wash it and damage it on purpose so that you'll buy a new car sooner rather than later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Holy ****. Parked the car up at work and had to stop and double take. The light shining down revealed horrific swirling on the bonnet from when it got washed at the recent service. I know dealer washes are bad but the swirls it had from the delivery wash wasn't that bad, so I didn't think they'd do much harm.

Whatever they did they went to town on it. I guess there's no comeback with that? All that time and effort in the last year wasted. Might as well be using fine grit sandpaper rather than a microfiber mitt.

Unfortunately no comeback unless you had pictures from right before and right after. If people can remember they should always "instruct", not ask, dealerships not to wash the car after any service or work done there. In 99.9% of the cases, it's a quick mop around the car with a brush style wash tool and a power wash down......bit of quick wax if your lucky. But if you are a regular customer of the said garage, there is absolutely no harm in sending in a very direct and angry email, or call in, explaining how you understand car care, more so than them, and that this level of damage was a result of their sh&te wash processes.

Final Update:

PBWFUsG.png?1

mQXdvSn.jpg?1

NeUYNwg.jpg?3

15xa3xJ.jpg?1

cewXqgW.jpg

baQ2g0l.jpg?1

6rZ5toX.jpg?1

What a fantastic job on the bm

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

Anyone ever use HG Sticker Remover on their car? I heard reports if people using it before but never heard any feedback... I debadged the rear of the car and the sticker mark is still on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Murt102 wrote: »
    Anyone ever use HG Sticker Remover on their car? I heard reports if people using it before but never heard any feedback... I debadged the rear of the car and the sticker mark is still on it.

Not used it on paint myself, happened have some and used it on rear glass no problems getting rid of advertising stickers garage's insist on using.

But any tar n glue remover will do the job if you not bought any product yet.

Advertisement