Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Detailing chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Murt102 wrote: »
    Anyone ever use HG Sticker Remover on their car? I heard reports if people using it before but never heard any feedback... I debadged the rear of the car and the sticker mark is still on it.

You will most likely need to machine polish it to get a perfect look as under badge would be mint compared to rest of car after glue is removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

sdevine89 wrote: »
    Final Update:

PBWFUsG.png?1

mQXdvSn.jpg?1

NeUYNwg.jpg?3

15xa3xJ.jpg?1

cewXqgW.jpg

baQ2g0l.jpg?1

6rZ5toX.jpg?1

Blimey not seen sap do that much damage before, but saying that some new water based paints are very weak on protection front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Is there a difference between hex logic pads and hex logic quantum? I'm looking at buying some new pads to replace my old hex logic. Which would be better suited to a das6 machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

markc1184 wrote: »
    Is there a difference between hex logic pads and hex logic quantum? I'm looking at buying some new pads to replace my old hex logic. Which would be better suited to a das6 machine?

Quantum pads have the hole in the middle and they have the kind of cone shape edge. Seem to be exactly the same foam quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I've used both and to my rather uneducated eye, I found little difference in them. Maybe the quantum didn't hold as much polish in the pad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

edburg wrote: »
    Blimey not seen sap do that much damage before, but saying that some new water based paints are very weak on protection front.

I would hazard a guess that if the car had a wax/sealant/ceramic coating the damage wouldn't have been half as bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Anyone elses OH as bad as this? I can leave the outside of my car filthy but it literally takes 10 minutes once a week to keep it clean, especially when you're sitting in it for a long time everyday.

IMG-20181104-104742.jpg

IMG-20181104-104824.jpg

IMG-20181104-104749.jpg

Literally took me 20 mins, quick Hoover and a wipe down of everything. Not perfect but saves catching ebola.

IMG-20181104-141749.jpg

IMG-20181104-141021.jpg

Nice job! How's the back afterwards? :D

Nice job! How's the back afterwards? :D

:confused:

:confused:

Sore back after the job???

• Advertisement

Sore back after the job???

Half asleep on a Monday morning.

Hoover used made mincemeat of it:pac:

Anyone know were I could pick up a longer high pressure hose to go between my washer and spray gun. The hose there at the minute is not very long and it's a nuisance bringing the washer around the cars with me.

What brand is the washer?

A place that does hydraulic hoses should be able to make you up a hose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Half asleep on a Monday morning.

Hoover used made mincemeat of it:pac:

Good thing you didn't go with the oyster or beige coloured F10 interior then. :D

What brand is the washer?

It's an RAC HP094 washer. Has served me well over the years just a pity the hose is on the short side.

First result that comes up on Google: https://cleantec.biz/rac-hp094-type-replacement-hose.html

First result that comes up on Google: https://cleantec.biz/rac-hp094-type-replacement-hose.html

I'd seen that one alright, I was hoping there might have been a local option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Mike3549

I'd seen that one alright, I was hoping there might have been a local option.

MOD: Not to be a stick-in-the-mud but while we appreciate users helping each other out, selling on the forum isn't allowed. Please go to PM for further discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Has anyone ordered from Detailing Shed recently? Website still showing plenty of stock, wondering if it's business as usual? Still need to get a proper snow lance and CarPro Hydr02.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I've a 2011 BMW F11 in Sophisto Grey and just had the front drivers wing replaced and spray painted after a little prang.

The the rest of the paint isn't great so I'm keen to get a full paint correction and some sort of paint protection or coating.

Is there any issue in getting this done after a panel respray?

Also - what would be a reasonable price to pay for an estate car? - Not looking for Concours, just a get the paint/colour back good and decent protection for a few years.

I had my E39 done a few years back with Brian in Spirit and the nano coating was such a big difference when cleaning the car.

I wouldn't touch a newly painted panel with a polisher for at least 3 weeks just to be sure.

Would you not bring this one to Brian again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

No issue polishing the newly painted panel. The only issue would be sealing the paint with a wax/sealant prior to any solvent carriers in the paint gassing out. Could be left with "solvent pop". Some ceramic coatings state that they can be applied to fresh paint without the above issues, I know Gtechniq was one, although not sure if it covered all their ceramic coatings.

I've a 2011 BMW F11 in Sophisto Grey and just had the front drivers wing replaced and spray painted after a little prang.

The the rest of the paint isn't great so I'm keen to get a full paint correction and some sort of paint protection or coating.

Is there any issue in getting this done after a panel respray?

Also - what would be a reasonable price to pay for an estate car? - Not looking for Concours, just a get the paint/colour back good and decent protection for a few years.

I had my E39 done a few years back with Brian in Spirit and the nano coating was such a big difference when cleaning the car.

So many variables here that it would be hard to give a estimate. One bit of advice i would say is to go to a reputable crowd, will cost more but you'll get a better service. Brian, would definitely be high up on that list of detailing providers.

On a side note, this industry has become inflated with "detailers" adapting buzz words such as full paint correction, 3 stage machine polish, ceramic coating, etc. I've done quite a number of correction jobs where there has been a high level of correction (over 95% of the clear coat defects removed), but I've never carried out a "Full Correction", as there in my opinion, this means every single defect that can be safely removed has been removed. Yet there are lads claiming full correction jobs and have the car back to you by 5pm that day!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭derdider

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Has anyone ordered from Detailing Shed recently? Website still showing plenty of stock, wondering if it's business as usual? Still need to get a proper snow lance and CarPro Hydr02.

I did about 2-3 weeks ago. I think he only ships items on a Thurs now as hes still working another job so i was waiting over a week to receive my items but i did get them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Thanks - I'll give it 3-4 weeks to cure before doing anything. I dropped Brian a mail today to see but I'd love someone a little closer.

Is there not many Dublin city options?

Brian would be able to give you a better idea regarding the new panel.

Auto Detail Valeting are based closer I think. They run a good operation from what I can tell. Not too sure of any others up/near Dublin I recommend bar Padraic in Flawless Detailing or Brian in Spirit when asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Hi all

New to the detailing world, don't think this warrants a new thread - I've found a ton of minor (clear-coat?) scratches on the boot of my car.
    https://imgur.com/K1CyMwo

I'm not sure how I haven't noticed them before (have the car back with me about 2 weeks after it was stolen/recovered)
    I usually put a cover on it and came home to find it almost blown into my neighbours during the high winds, something may have been scraping it as it was flapping in the wind?

Anyway I'm just wondering the best way to tackle it/what to use. I haven't even given the car a proper wash since I have it back so if its something that a good wash, polish & wax will hide I'll just invest in some of those products and have a look through this forum for the best method.

Cheers!

• Advertisement

Where are you located Boomstick? When you're not in space that is :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Where are you located Boomstick? When you're not in space that is :P

Based in Dublin when not on the ISS :pac:

Is it possible the previous owner may have polish/waxed it and it's just worn off?

You'd want a thick layer of polish to fill those scratches. The only company around Dublin that I know is operating is KingPin detailing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Hey, I returned to my parked car to find these marks on the front bumper. The black chip was actually there before (stone chip I believe), but green and slightly red marks are new, something must have rubbed up against it. Any idea’s on how to remove this, as it hasn’t come off with a wash. I have some TarX I was thinking on trying, but I’m not sure about using that plastic bumper.

9adbe26d-d2f9-4f19-8213-b58aa4d46184_zpsdaputkea.jpg

Tar remover won't have any adverse effects on the bumper. If it doesn't work, a small bit of car polish on a cloth should do the trick as it doesn't seem to be too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Any tips on stopping the inside of car windows fogging up.they are clean inside and out and polished with glass polish.i also put one of them dehumidifiers in it you peel the foil off.its not leaking and all carpets are dry.its just the glass

• Advertisement

Keep the A/C on at all times. It's not just for cooling the air in the summer, it removes moisture from it before entering the cabin. You'll still have hot air during the winter too.

Also don't use your hand especially or a cloth to demist the windows, just let the car do it. Oils etc. from your hands can build up on the glass making it easier for condensation to stick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Tar remover won't have any adverse effects on the bumper. If it doesn't work, a small bit of car polish on a cloth should do the trick as it doesn't seem to be too bad.

Will give that a go when back home, cheers!

Keep the A/C on at all times. It's not just for cooling the air in the summer, it removes moisture from it before entering the cabin. You'll still have hot air during the winter too.

Also don't use your hand especially or a cloth to demist the windows, just let the car do it. Oils etc. from your hands can build up on the glass making it easier for condensation to stick to it.

I’d say if I stuck a goldfish on the inside of my back window lately he’d survive it’s that wet.dissapointed after polishing it with glass polish and cleaning it.

It will take a while before you see the benefits of using A/C full time. Before you start using it though, give the windows another dry down/clean and polish.

Because of the way a rear windscreen is, it will nearly always fog up during the winter. I have to treat my rear windscreen multiple times during the winter even with using the A/C full time.

It will take a while before you see the benefits of using A/C full time. Before you start using it though, give the windows another dry down/clean and polish.

Because of the way a rear windscreen is, it will nearly always fog up during the winter. I have to treat my rear windscreen multiple times during the winter even with using the A/C full time.

Thanks metzger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I was going to ask something similar myself. Got in the car the last few times it's been cold and always seems to fog up. Used basic AG window cleaner and buffed away properly, AC on full time.

The problem about letting the car work it's magic is that it won't do anything just sitting there running idle, it has to move to do anything. Max demister on and nothing. Had to drive out of the estate one morning looking through a small patch before it started to work (6am so nobody around, otherwise I wouldn't have done it!)

Should I start cleaning the windscreen more regularly in the winter? Don't really want to buy any extra products. Bit of a pain.

I leave my air con on all the time and use either tac system anti fog or gyeon anti fog on my windows, been using them a good while now and haven't had my windows fog up yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Anyone here experience with cleaning tractor interiors? Got a few stubborn stains on the interior plastics of a John Deere, using AutoGlym vinyl & rubber but to no avail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Testament1 wrote: »
    Anyone here experience with cleaning tractor interiors? Got a few stubborn stains on the interior plastics of a John Deere, using AutoGlym vinyl & rubber but to no avail.

I could do it, I used to be big into tractors....infact you need an Extractor fan....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭DoctorStrange

Try magic sponge or abrasive pad.

Mild dilution of All Purpose Cleaner, if that doesn't work go bit stronger with the chemicals.

Test on an out of the way area first

Edit: be careful with the abrasive pad, really abrisive one could scratch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Any idea on how much a full paint correction would cost. I would do it myself(although I've never done it before), but with time constraints and it's fecking freezing outside, I'd rather pay a professional to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    Any idea on how much a full paint correction would cost. I would do it myself(although I've never done it before), but with time constraints and it's fecking freezing outside, I'd rather pay a professional to do it.

It would be almost impossible to guess.
    Detailer would have to inspect the paint condition and discuss with you as to what level you require and what LSP you want applied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Anyone notice a weird layer of grey dirt on their car recently? Seems to have come down with the heavy rain in cork over the last two days.
    It's not from the road as I washed the car on the weekend and haven't driven it since.
    Really strange and hard to remove, it has almost stained the car. I was going to do a quick two bucket wash but now I've had to get out the snow foam and pressure washer for a pre soak as it's proving too hard to remove

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Any of your neighbours started using solid fuel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Curran wrote: »
    Any of your neighbours started using solid fuel?

I wouldn't be sure to be honest. I am in the city so it's smokeless coal only.

Here's a picture of the washed vs. unwashed section. The car never gets this dirty even after 3 weeks without a wash, and it hadn't been driven here, that's why I found it strange.

EnEIXMI.jpg?1

• Advertisement
Advertisement