Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Detailing chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Benzino wrote: »
    Hey, I returned to my parked car to find these marks on the front bumper. The black chip was actually there before (stone chip I believe), but green and slightly red marks are new, something must have rubbed up against it. Any idea’s on how to remove this, as it hasn’t come off with a wash. I have some TarX I was thinking on trying, but I’m not sure about using that plastic bumper.

9adbe26d-d2f9-4f19-8213-b58aa4d46184_zpsdaputkea.jpg
    Tar remover won't have any adverse effects on the bumper. If it doesn't work, a small bit of car polish on a cloth should do the trick as it doesn't seem to be too bad.

Finally got around to doing this, and the Tar remover lifted it with ease. Thanks for your help. Now I just need to sort out the chip somehow and it'll be like brand new again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Pops_20 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be sure to be honest. I am in the city so it's smokeless coal only.

Here's a picture of the washed vs. unwashed section. The car never gets this dirty even after 3 weeks without a wash, and it hadn't been driven here, that's why I found it strange.

EnEIXMI.jpg?1

Doesn't mean people just use smokeless and it will create soot exactly like that.

Each night I come out to car or in morning there is a grey dusting over the car....

So many are still using fires when to be honest in a city there should not be any burning at all.

The smoke makes it very difficult to breathe and imagine how bad it all is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Feck sake... (suppose it's somewhat detailing, anyone know how much it costs for a wheel refurb?)

pmpWUwd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Feck sake... (suppose it's somewhat detailing, anyone know how much it costs for a wheel refurb?)

pmpWUwd.jpg

Anywhere between €50/€100 a wheel roughly

Right I'm fed up of how streaky my windscreen looks, any recommendations for a polish or something? Claying doesn't seem to really help it, it just helped it look less bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

how.gareth wrote: »
    Anywhere between €50/€100 a wheel roughly

They could try doing it themselves. Would be cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I've been "persuaded" to "work my magic" on a new vehicle, a snot larger than a car (another bloody motorhome). Im debating on to do my usual with CarPro Reload or to invest in CQuartz. Im just not too sure how much I'll need, bottle wise. Also, as the majority is not regular metal/paint/clear coat is it suitable?

Im planning on hitting the wheels, inner arches, etc with DLux, glass with Flyby, etc.

So, before I break out the credit card and book a week off work, does anybody have any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

ianobrien wrote: »
    I've been "persuaded" to "work my magic" on a new vehicle, a snot larger than a car (another bloody motorhome). Im debating on to do my usual with CarPro Reload or to invest in CQuartz. Im just not too sure how much I'll need, bottle wise. Also, as the majority is not regular metal/paint/clear coat is it suitable?

Im planning on hitting the wheels, inner arches, etc with DLux, glass with Flyby, etc.

So, before I break out the credit card and book a week off work, does anybody have any thoughts?

I cannot comment on how much CQUK you would need, But I remember doing my Passat with it, I got 2 coats on the car and still had a good bit left in the bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

vectra wrote: »
    I cannot comment on how much CQUK you would need, But I remember doing my Passat with it, I got 2 coats on the car and still had a good bit left in the bottle.

Thanks for that.

What I'm debating on is the prep that's needed. If I apply something like CarPro Eraser to strip back anything that the dealer applied, I'm afraid of it lifting the graphics or affecting the fibreglass. After all, I don't want to wreck the finish on a €85k vehicle that's only a few days old!

If I chicken out on the stripping back, the CQuatrz could be wasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

If you're not going to do a full and proper job at prep, you may aswell forget about using a ceramic coating.

As they say - test on an inconspicuous area first :)

I only gave the Passat a cleanser polish first, then carpro erasor prior to cquk.
    you should be safe enough with that.
    But again, I wouldnt bother again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

What's the best alloy wheel cleaning spray that I can get? Want something that sprays on and helps detar it/remove fallout from it.

Same goes for the body work. Something to help detar/remove fallout/those little small black dots from the paintwork.

Lastly, best spray for instant tyre dressing to make the rubber look fresh and shiny? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

MuddyDog wrote: »
    What's the best alloy wheel cleaning spray that I can get? Want something that sprays on and helps detar it/remove fallout from it.

Same goes for the body work. Something to help detar/remove fallout/those little small black dots from the paintwork.

Lastly, best spray for instant tyre dressing to make the rubber look fresh and shiny? :)

Bilt Hamber Auto wheel is what I use for my alloys. https://www.bilthamber.com/auto-wheel

I've been using Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel for the past 5 years and I will never use anything else again. It's touchless cleaning for alloys which is great when you have multi-spoke wheels. BH have a very good fallout remover called Korrosol which I also use.

Tar remover - I use Gtechniq W7. Another very good one is CarPro TarX which smells much better that W7.

For tyre dressing I use Meguiars Hot Shine Reflect. It's in an aerosol can, is very fast to apply and gives a superb, long lasting shine.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Right I'm fed up of how streaky my windscreen looks, any recommendations for a polish or something? Claying doesn't seem to really help it, it just helped it look less bad.

Still looking for suggestions on the windscreen. It's as if the snowfoam has dried into the screen and left streaks which are visible when the wipers are on, I also believe this may be the case as there's a clear patch where the passenger wiper would be up when cleaning.

It can be quite distracting with oncoming headlights in the Winter darkness. It doesn't seem to be as noticeable when it's a heavier rain. It also seems to be messing with the rain sensor as it's usually on 3-4, but even on 1 it goes too fast in a light drizzle.

AG Fast Glass doesn't seem to help, it seems to dry in when sprayed on. Maybe something like CarPro Ceriglass? Anything to buff off whatever seems to be in the windscreen.

• Advertisement

Get the CarPro CeriGlass kit. It has the polish and a nice microfibre cloth but most importantly it has a rayon polishing block. The last time I used it was on the car pictured below to remove film that wouldn't budge with washing or claying and it worked a treat:

30607191207_8d446f0590_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Does everybody wash their own car here all the time.?Do they trust any car wash (machines in garages or people at a car wash)? I like my car being clean but these days it needs a wash every week to look good.

I've never had it waxed or detailed and it seems like a lot of work and research (for someone like me who doesn't even clean their own car).

Would love to have it like I bought it, the water sitting on it in pretty bubbles. Is that sustainable?

I wash mine every 2 weeks. I've had 8 cars and not once has anyone else washed any of them.

I don't trust machines because the rollers cause damage to the paint and I don't trust people at a car wash either because they either use brushes or don't pay enough attention per car as they are about volume.

The water bubbles (beading) is sustainable by doing the job yourself. After a was, give the car a coat of a product containing Si02 such as Gtechniq C2V3, Gtechniq QD, CarPro Hydr02 Lite, Bilt Hamber Auto-QD etc. If you don't want to buff the product, CarPro Hydro2 can be sprayed on and then power washed to give the desired effect.

When some car washes offer waxing is that the same. Tbh I'd rather pay someone a few quid to do it. And do it right. Does washing your car constantly (mine is racing red) let it fade faster or is the colour degradation just due to sun light?

Know of anyone in the northeast that will apply such stuff for the beading effect?

Car wash wax is rubbish. It's sprayed on and off you go. It can stain trim, leaves film on windows and doesn't last very long.

Keeping a car clean and protected stops the paint fading.

I don't personally know anyone in that direction but Spirit Detailing are in Kildare and 5 Star Auto are in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

A dealer washed one of my cars once, that was the only time anyone else washed my car. I don't trust any of those car washes, rather do it myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

EPAndlee wrote: »
    A dealer washed one of my cars once, that was the only time anyone else washed my car. I don't trust any of those car washes, rather do it myself

With a yard brush....

milhous wrote: »
    Does everybody wash their own car here all the time.?Do they trust any car wash (machines in garages or people at a car wash)? I like my car being clean but these days it needs a wash every week to look good.

I've never had it waxed or detailed and it seems like a lot of work and research (for someone like me who doesn't even clean their own car).

Would love to have it like I bought it, the water sitting on it in pretty bubbles. Is that sustainable?
    When some car washes offer waxing is that the same. Tbh I'd rather pay someone a few quid to do it. And do it right. Does washing your car constantly (mine is racing red) let it fade faster or is the colour degradation just due to sun light?

Know of anyone in the northeast that will apply such stuff for the beading effect?

I always wash my own car.
    The only time it doesnt get washed properly is if the weather is too bad, I would take it to my local jetwash and just rinse it down with clear water.

You could spend a Saturday or some day and do a job on your own car reasonably enough!
    What county exactly are you ?

I always wash my own car.
    The only time it doesnt get washed properly is if the weather is too bad, I would take it to my local jetwash and just rinse it down with clear water.

You could spend a Saturday or some day and do a job on your own car reasonably enough!
    What county exactly are you ?

I'm in Louth but regularly yh be in Dublin. If it was a day job it'd be fine. If I saw someone go though the process id prob be happy enough to belt away but not knowing a thing I'm not gonna start playing around I don't think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

I've used Flawless Detailing in Drogheda plenty in the past. It can be pricey but always a top notch job.

Try and do it myself as often as I can.

I'm in Louth but regularly yh be in Dublin. If it was a day job it'd be fine. If I saw someone go though the process id prob be happy enough to belt away but not knowing a thing I'm not gonna start playing around I don't think.

No part of it is difficult nor hard to understand,
    Preperation is only glorified cleaning, Then apply a coat or two of whichever wax/sealant you choose.

If you were going to tackle it yourself I'd use CarPro Hydr02 as it's very easy to use, just spray on and rinse off

I'm going to head for flawless detailing in drogheda I think. Thanks for your replies. I suppose it'd be a waste when it's lashing out like today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Where is the best place to buy Fusso light in Ireland? Preferably looking to have it delivered before the weekend.

markc1184 wrote: »
    Where is the best place to buy Fusso light in Ireland? Preferably looking to have it delivered before the weekend.

Autopia is the only place I've seen that sells Soft99

• Advertisement

EPAndlee wrote: »
    Autopia is the only place I've seen that sells Soft99

Autopia
    Blok51 in the north with exceptionally fast delivery service.

Fusso light topped with a coat of Kiwami Extreme gloss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

Hi all. Let me preface this by saying I am a moron. Plain and simple.

A few days ago I decided to wax the car with Simoniz Original Wax. Thought it might be a good idea before the poor weather really kicked in. However, I applied a coat to far too large of an area and I simply can't buff it out. So now the rear third of my car is covered in a thin swirly coat of hardened wax, save for a small patch on the boot. So much shame.

So, is there a simple solution to removing the wax, or am I at the mercy of a professional? Cheers.

Your options are:

- Apply a thin coat of the same wax on top of the area, a small section at a time and buff when it's ready. This should remove the stain.

- Use a product like CarPro Eraser or Gtechniq Panel Wipe and buff with an MF cloth. Keep doing this until the stain is gone. These products are made to break down wax, grease etc on a car's paint.

- Sell the car and forget about it

- Set the car alight

Personally I'd try one of the first 2 as the others are a bit OTT :pac:

Your options are:

Thank you kindly, sir. Time to wear the elbows out.

Option one above is well suggested.
    Go lightly though
    Remember
    the more you apply the more you need to buff off.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

Lads what is the best wheel cleaner to use for an alloy that is caked with brake dust?

I have a decent wheel cleaner that I find brilliant (cant remember the name of it now) but it isn’t doing anything for the alloy.

Also got a rough cleaning pad from the kitchen (one of those yellow ones with the green back, couldn’t give a sh1te about scratching the alloys they are old ones anyways) but could only get the bare minimum off.

Also gave it a dose of Korrosol and no joy.

Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Korrosol will work, but it would take too long. I'd recommend an acid based wheel cleaner, followed by a thorough clean with a pH Neutral cleaner to remove any traces of the acid. Acid is generally bad to use around any parts of the car but it is good to have in some instances, this would be one.

It's possible that the brake dust has actually become part of the paint due to being on so long. Only option there is a refurb.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Lads, between the hose ban and putting my back out I haven't touched the car since early last year and it's Spring complete detail/wax etc.
    I'm itching to get out on any kind of mild day but at what temperature would I need it to be for the wax (Collinite) to work it's way in properly?

• Advertisement

I found that on colder days wax gets very bitty and doesn't buff off all that easily. Better idea is to use a spray and buff sealant for now until the weather gets warmer. Plus the fact that dew comes down early enough and the moisture in the air it can take a lot longer for it to haze and becomes a nightmare to try and buff if you leave it too late.

Products like CarPro Hydro2 Lite, Gtechniq C2V3, Gtechniq QD, Bilt Hamber Auto QD etc. are your friends in cold weather.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

They may be my future friends once my current friends get consumed:)

Your options are:
    Option one above is
    well suggested.

That did the job nicely! It's not perfect, but it is a damn sight better than what it was. Got a few complements from passers-by!

I see above you mentioned that the colder it is, the harder it is to buff off. It was about 5°C yesterday. Needless to say, I skipped shoulder work today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Hey guys,

I remember reading here a year or so ago about some brand of spray on wax people were using that buffed off quickly and gave a nice , lasting shine and was handy to use when in a rush/ not doing a full detail. I can't for the life of me find the name of it again though, any chance anyone knows what I'm talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Duff wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I remember reading here a year or so ago about some brand of spray on wax people were using that buffed off quickly and gave a nice , lasting shine and was handy to use when in a rush/ not doing a full detail. I can't for the life of me find the name of it again though, any chance anyone knows what I'm talking about?
    Sonax brilliant shine detailer maybe???

I don't think that was it, but I've looked at a few Youtube reviews of it, and that looks decent too. I'll get that if the name doesn't come to me. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭RR3.5

Glare polish maybe?

Gtechniq C2V3 or QD?

Carpro Reload?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Reggae reggae sauce?

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Reggae reggae sauce?

Not spicy enough.

Cheers, lads. It was the Glare stuff I was thinking off. Was driving me mad :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement