Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Detailing chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Anyone used Autoglym Polar Seal yet? Picked up a bottle of it this evening. €24 for a litre, said its worth a shot before spending €60 on a litre of CarPro Hydro2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Has anyone any experience with Meguiars 105 and 205 cutting and finishing pastes? I need to 2000 grit wet sand my bonnet to remove some oxidisation was was going to use this to restore the paint after? Any other recommendations for a cutting compound and polish if not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

You don't need to use sandpaper to remove oxidation. A polish will do the same job.

I'd planned on just trying to polish it out, but the general consensus on the AutoDetailing sub-reddit was that I'd be better off using a fine 2000 grit or similar wet sand and then polishing after I posted a pic of the oxidisation.

KDXevcy.jpg

OXvb36X.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

As said above.
    Try polishing first.
    This wet sanding seems to be the latest craze "just because"

If it were my I would try with the lesser of 2 evils first.
    ie
    start with the least cut and work up.

vectra wrote: »
    As said above.
    Try polishing first.
    This wet sanding seems to be the latest craze "just because"

If it were my I would try with the lesser of 2 evils first.
    ie
    start with the least cut and work up.

Any recommendations on a rubbing compound and polish? I was thinking of the Megs 105 and 205.

Duff wrote: »
    Any recommendations on a rubbing compound and polish? I was thinking of the Megs 105 and 205.

Megs 105 and 205 have been around with a while and are still going well, so I would use them.
    Remember, Start with lowest cut/pad and work up until you find the best combo to suit.

Megs 105 and 205 have been around with a while and are still going well, so I would use them.
    Remember, Start with lowest cut/pad and work up until you find the best combo to suit.

Picked up some Megs compound and polish earlier along with a clay bar and quick detailer but couldn't decide on a wax as the place I was in only had turtle wax as an actual wax, everything else was spray wax which I already have some of. Any recommendations for a good, hard wax that will last a few months? Read good things about collinite 845 but it costs as much to post it here as it does to buy!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Uh oh, spilt some soft drinks on the front seats. 50/50 leather/cloth VW seats.

What should I use to remove the staining? The seats are black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

https://www.aldi.ie/car-polisher/p/010847253266500

Any opinions on this?

I assume it's a rotary?

• Advertisement

It's a rotary alright. At that price I'm not sure it's going to have enough torque to do the job in a timely fashion. I could be wrong though, don't have any experience of those.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

PAny recommendations for a good, hard wax that will last a few months? Read good things about collinite 845 but it costs as much to post it here as it does to buy!

Thanks.

Have you tried Amazon, that's where I get mine and generally no postage as it's easy to get over the £25 total order mark for free postage.
    You may have to search through the sellers to find one that ship to Ireland, last time I got mine it was AMZ themselves selling so no issue...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

It's a rotary alright. At that price I'm not sure it's going to have enough torque to do the job in a timely fashion. I could be wrong though, don't have any experience of those.

Hey MM
    Could you recommend a decent one?

Cheers
    Mike

Picked up some Megs compound and polish earlier along with a clay bar and quick detailer but couldn't decide on a wax as the place I was in only had turtle wax as an actual wax, everything else was spray wax which I already have some of. Any recommendations for a good, hard wax that will last a few months? Read good things about collinite 845 but it costs as much to post it here as it does to buy!

Thanks.

Soft99 Fusso from Autopia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

KDXevcy.jpg

OXvb36X.jpg

E60 by any chance?

moby2101 wrote: »
    Hey MM
    Could you recommend a decent one?

Cheers
    Mike

I only ever had 1 rotary polisher and it was a Kestrel. Good yoke but I preferred using a D/A.

Maybe Foxhole Norman would be better able to recommend one for you.

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    E60 by any chance?

Of course! :pac:

The E60s must suffer from oxidation. I did a job on one recently enough to remove it all over the car along with oily fingerprints.

The E60s must suffer from oxidation. I did a job on one recently enough to remove it all over the car along with oily fingerprints.

Paintwork on mine is alright for a 2007, however, oxidation has got to the headlamps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

How do you cycle the MF clothes? Hopefully they're not meant to be thrown away after a single use. Thinking a bit further: how to know the MF reached its end of life?

padyjoe wrote: »
    How do you cycle the MF clothes? Hopefully they're not meant to be thrown away after a single use. Thinking a bit further: how to know the MF reached its end of life?

I just throw the MF towels in the with wash at home. Think I use them once, then forget what I use them for, they aren't soiled too much to worry about what they mix with in the household washing stuff.

If it looks like the towel doesn't get clean after being washed, I just replace it. They are cheap to replace anyway.

You know an MF has reached its end of life when it becomes rough and emaciated compared to a new one. Using fabric softener to soften them up again is a no go as it clogs the fibers and makes a cloth almost ineffective.

I was MFs on their own on a quick wash and then into the dryer for 30 minutes in order to avoid lint from clothes getting onto them.

It's also notable that you should wash MFs once before use.

And only use a non bio liquid to wash them with, I do a 40 degree wash, hang them to dry, and about 10 minutes in the tumble dryer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I wash mine in a low temperature short wash, no fabric softener and then air dry. I usually soak them in a bucket with a small bit of washing-up liquid before throwing them into the wash.

When they feel a bit tougher compared to a new one, that's when I thing they are no more good for paint. I always keep one from a batch unused and unwashed so I can compare it to (sad I know!)

If I feel the towel is getting near the end, I religate it to glass and trim duties. Once it's too back for that, it's on engine cleaning before it heads to the bin. Some do end up on kitchen floor washing duties. They make a better job than any mop.

If I spot MFs on the cheap, I just buy them to have them sitting there.

• Advertisement

Finally got round to tackling the bonnet of the car today, and all I can say is WOW! The difference a DA polisher makes is incredible. Used a medium cut pad with Megs 105 and then finished it with a finishing pad and Megs ultimate polish followed by Turtle Wax super hard shell which I'm just using because my Soft99 Fusso hasn't arrived yet. The before pics are on the page before this I think.

8qnRp7H.jpg

SJ43Vtg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Bought a black 05 corolla for great price.anyway previous owner liked car washes and is covered in swirl marks all over and odd few light scratches. It's black so they show up quite easily.I know I can get these out easily enough and have a da polisher so just wondering what pads I should use with merzerna. I already have the medium cut pad already so wondering what else I need.also will be doing a full decontamination first. Thanks

Finally got round to tackling the bonnet of the car today, and all I can say is WOW! The difference a DA polisher makes is incredible. Used a medium cut pad with Megs 105 and then finished it with a finishing pad and Megs ultimate polish followed by Turtle Wax super hard shell which I'm just using because my Soft99 Fusso hasn't arrived yet. The before pics are on the page before this I think.

Great job Duff,
    I am glad you didn't jump headlong in first with wetsanding.
    One point, When the Fusso arrives, be sure to remove the Turtle wax stuff prior to application of the Fusso, Also Use a damp applicator to apply the fusso and go as light as you possibly can,
    Bought a black 05 corolla for great price.anyway previous owner liked car washes and is covered in swirl marks all over and odd few light scratches. It's black so they show up quite easily.I know I can get these out easily enough and have a da polisher so just wondering what pads I should use with merzerna. I already have the medium cut pad already so wondering what else I need.also will be doing a full decontamination first. Thanks

FN or Metz, may be along to verify this,as I as not 100% certain. But as far as I am aware the Honda paint is on the soft side, so would start with lightest pad/polish combo.

Great job Duff,
    I am glad you didn't jump headlong in first with wetsanding.
    One point, When the Fusso arrives, be sure to remove the Turtle wax stuff prior to application of the Fusso, Also Use a damp applicator to apply the fusso and go as light as you possibly can,

Thanks for all the tips vectra! Which would be the best way to go about removing the Turtle Wax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thanks for all the tips vectra! Which would be the best way to go about removing the Turtle Wax?

All purpose cleaner.....
    Then decontaminate and clay bar

• Advertisement

I actually can't do my bonnet because of all the stone chips, but would really like too. Gonna attempt at doing a full detail during the summer months.

Do you carbon black colour?

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    I actually can't do my bonnet because of all the stone chips, but would really like too. Gonna attempt at doing a full detail during the summer months.

Do you carbon black colour?

Mine actually has surprisingly few stone chips. 2 or 3 small ones that aren't down to the base coat which are relatively easy to touch up. Yeah, mines Carbon Black. It looks amazing for the hour or two that it's clean but once it's dirty you can forget about it :pac:

Mine actually has surprisingly few stone chips. 2 or 3 small ones that aren't down to the base coat which are relatively easy to touch up. Yeah, mines Carbon Black. It looks amazing for the hour or two that it's clean but once it's dirty you can forget about it :pac:

I bet you never realized how much blue color and glitter was in Carbon Black.
    I was amazed at the difference when I did my sons E60.

Exactly! It looks purple in some light. Now I just need to maintain it.

I've been told it's a sought after colour.

How would I tackle green moss/mould/algae on a soft top roof, lads? The girlfriends Mini convertible has started to get a bit of a build up on it. APC and a detailing brush? Anything I can get to protect the material once it's clean?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Anybody any idea whats going on at detailingshed at the moment ?, i made an order 10 days ago no update since bar the auto invoice etc. I sent a mail asking for an update 2 days ago and no response.

Stock levels seem low on alot of the shampoos etc. too

Have used them for years with no bother.

Anybody any idea whats going on at detailingshed at the moment ?, i made an order 10 days ago no update since bar the auto invoice etc. I sent a mail asking for an update 2 days ago and no response.

Stock levels seem low on alot of the shampoos etc. too

I believe Curran's brother has taken over that part and it's a little slow I believe.

I believe Curran's brother has taken over that part and it's a little slow I believe.
    They have been my 1st choice for a long time now . But if the service doesn't improve it will be my last

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

I can't shed some light on the situation but can't speak for Detailing Shed.

Stephen blames the hose pipe ban for a drop in sales that resulted in him taking up employment to make up the shortfall and has continued his full time hours. Assume the comfort of regular, guaranteed pay is more attractive. Believe orders are packed and shipped on his days off.

Don't engage with any discussions regarding the business with him. The customer service experienced by people since he took over wouldn't have happened in my watch. Don't know what his plans are going forward as I believe there has nothing being restocked for quite some time.

• Advertisement

To be honest Dave I have bought very very little since the changeover. I'm not having to get my 5L Autowheel directly from Bilt Hamber in the UK and have to go to a few different places to get other items I used get straight from you.

I had a look at polishing pads earlier today and they're all out of stock. It's horrific :(

It's extremely frustrating for me to watch the whole business decline...but at the end of the day it has 0% to do with me and as a result I have to try to care the exact same percentage.
    It's also gets in at me that many of the customers I spent years to gain their loyalty are being let down so badly, and that many still associate the business to me / my name. Am frequently contacted directly (which I've absolutely no issue with) for updates, etc, but am unable to help.

It's extremely frustrating for me to watch the whole business decline...but at the end of the day it has 0% to do with me and as a result I have to try to care the exact same percentage.
    It's also gets in at me that many of the customers I spent years to gain their loyalty are being let down so badly, and that many still associate the business to me / my name. Am frequently contacted directly (which I've absolutely no issue with) for updates, etc, but am unable to help.

Curran wrote: »

Oh I would say it's very difficult.

Sad to see to be honest as you helped me out loads with great advice and great products I had known nothing about.

Is it anything you would get back into or is that avenue done.

I haven't really done much since last summer so have a good few things still but will need likes of tar X or similar and some cleaning products such as interior and exterior.

Thanks for shedding some light on it , I have bought stuff for my car from detailing shed over the last 4 years or so and the service was always A1 .

I will give it another day or two but if there is no movement by the weekend I will push for a refund through PayPal .

Sorry to see it go this way, it was a tightly run ship up to recently .

If anyone is looking for a DAS6 Pro Plus I know someone selling one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Thanks for the update. Detailing Shed was always my first stop and you really helped answering all my silly questions. Items were dispatched straight away and was a pleasure to shop there.

I've noticed in the past while that the common items don't appear to be restocked so I guessed that there was a few problems. I've not done much over the winter but I'd say that I'll have to restock shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I was going to get glass polish from there, I'm aware of the downfall from the hose ban but heard some stock still floating about. Don't mind delays so may place an order and see what happens.

Sad to hear what happened to it, as I'm sure lots of us know Ireland can be a pain to shop for niche products. It was handy having it all under one roof. I definitely learned a lot from Curran's posts and really appreciated the extra discount codes whenever I missed them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 autogroup999

just need a bit of info what machine would ye recommend for cleaning fabric upholstery and carpets i have read puzzi 10/1 is good machine any detailing guys here that would put me wise thanx in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I use a numatic george for carpet and fabric cleaning, paid about 250 for it. Ideal bit of kit for the money and really easy to use

Advertisement