Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Detailing chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Two quick questions, lads.

1) What do you reckon the best tyre dressing is for a wettish look that lasts? Currently using Meguiars tyre gel but I find it slicks the wheels up no matter how little you put on and only lasts 2 or 3 days.

2) What would you recommend to clean moss/algae off a convertible roof? Girlfriend has a soft top Mini and over the winter it's gotten a few patches of green algae looking material on it. Was thinking G101?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

Any opinions on this coming up in Lidl later this week?
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=17904

****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Parapara2017

Placed order with detailing shed on the 28th still hasn't shipped / no word from email request should I try cancel through PayPal or call into the shop for refund or?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Placed order with detailing shed on the 28th still hasn't shipped / no word from email request should I try cancel through PayPal or call into the shop for refund or?

It took them 3 weeks to ship an in stock bottle of shampoo to me last month. - Never using them again. I waited patiently for 10 days, then tried to make contact multiple times via mobile and email - no reponse. Gave it another few days and launched a paypal refund , only then did they ship it.

Never using them again, completely different than how they were 12 months or more ago. No response to emails or calls etc.

Will be checking d&d detailing in Cork next for my products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭deegs

Same ordered on 27th and no action besides taking my money. Tried contacting them 4 times... PayPal dispute opening today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Meguiars stuff reduced in Halfords today,over €20 off on some stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I'm afraid I'm another that has given up on them, despite the excellent service I got in the past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

detailiing shed still open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Also ordered some Hydro2foam from detailing shed, in stock, no shipment. No reply to email but they have just refunded my payment. Have to find a new place to buy my goodies by the looks of it :(
    Website seems to be showing no listings for anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Detailing Shed changed as we know in January last year. It was good for a while but got continuously worse as time went on. The site is indeed showing no listings for products in any category so it looks as though the business is done.

We are all aware of the superb service Curran gave (and still gives) when he ran it and the absolute piles of advice he gave to everyone here, BMWHaus and the multiple other forums he's a part of.

RIP Curran's Detailing Shed.

I won't say any more and if Curran wants to add to this he can but if not that's fine too. For now there are other great sites to buy high quality products from:

D & D Detailing (Cork)
    Clean Your Car (UK)
    www.blok51.com (NI)

There's also Orchard Auto Care up North but I don't know if they're selling products any more. Can't find their website either.

It's worth noting for those who bought Gtechniq products through gtechniq.com, they no longer ship to Ireland. D&D in Cork are the Irish distributors and will soon be opening gtechniq.ie so we can enjoy the superb products and avail of lower shipping costs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Running low on the 845. Anywhere else that sells it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Technique

I've started buying my stuff online from Blok 51 in Co. Derry. Very happy with the service so far.

deegs wrote: »
    Same ordered on 27th and no action besides taking my money. Tried contacting them 4 times... PayPal dispute opening today.
    Refunded this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Detailing Shed changed as we know in January last year. It was good for a while but got continuously worse as time went on. The site is indeed showing no listings for products in any category so it looks as though the business is done.

We are all aware of the superb service Curran gave (and still gives) when he ran it and the absolute piles of advice he gave to everyone here, BMWHaus and the multiple other forums he's a part of.

I won't say any more and if Curran wants to add to this he can but if not that's fine too. For now there are other great sites to buy high quality products from:

D & D Detailing (Cork)
    Clean Your Car (UK)
    www.blok51.com (NI)

There's also Orchard Auto Care up North but I don't know if they're selling products any more. Can't find their website either.

It's worth noting for those who bought Gtechniq products through gtechniq.com, they no longer ship to Ireland. D&D in Cork are the Irish distributors and will soon be opening gtechniq.ie so we can enjoy the superb products and avail of lower shipping costs :D

Sad to see them go, and for sure Curran was always helpful and the service was great.

Does anyone know where I would get Hydr02 foam? or a product that is similar?

Also Bilt Hamber wheel cleaner, does anyone know an alternative supplier? I would like to buy from an irish company if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Autopia are now stocking Bilt Hamber and Valet Pro products if any of you need them.

• Advertisement

deegs wrote: »
    Refunded this morning.

Well now ive been refunded, anyone know where i can buy a snow foam lance locally in cork. Halfords and d&D detailing are both out of stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

D & D Detailing (Cork)
    Clean Your Car (UK)
    www.blok51.com (NI)

Sure Curran said on here he was stopping orders when the hose pipe ban was in affect last year, plus I think he had some customer cars to. Say it was not paying bills unfortunately. He was very good customer wise if you a question or query. Shame!!!

I get my bits from Slim's detailing in UK now as they deal with everything I use/plan to use for the future, that and they send out treats during the year :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Parapara2017

Is the mcguires stuff in halfords in all stores / online?

I cancelled my order from detailing shed and started paypal refund process which was approved by detailing shed, yet to received it... shame indeed.

I saw in halfords they've started stocking auto finesse products anyone have any experience with them, coatings etc?

I got a bottle of the interior cleaner / APC by them which is grand good results with it for an interior general trim cleaner.

Whats the best way of cleaning alcanterra / suede effect fabric? Just some general fabric cleaner?

edburg wrote: »
    Sure Curran said on here he was stopping orders when the hose pipe ban was in affect last year, plus I think he had some customer cars to. Say it was not paying bills unfortunately. He was very good customer wise if you a question or query. Shame!!!

I get my bits from Slim's detailing in UK now as they deal with everything I use/plan to use for the future, that and they send out treats during the year :D:D

Curran wasn't running it at the time of the hose pipe ban. IMO that was just used as an excuse but I'd rather not get into that debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

I get my stuff from Detailing Emporium , they do Collinite, Bilt-Hamber, Poorboys and plenty of other stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Unreal deal on the nilfisk c120 just picked one up as my own is gone caput

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N34KV8E?ref=em_1p_0_ti&ref_=pe_4022381_366837431

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

oleras wrote: »

Doesn't quote the power of the machine so at that price I wouldn't expect it to do anything more than maintain paint at its current condition really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

oleras wrote: »

Depending on how much you are going to use it, and how you expect it to perform, will give a better idea of whether it will be perceived as a bargain. If you are just intending to use it on personal vehicles 2 to 3 times a year to spruce them up or applying a glaze or wax, them it's worth the money. If you are intending on using it more than that, i think you would be better to look at some of the DAS6, Shinemate, or Vertool DA's. They are more expensive but would be much better machines.
    A couple of other things to note if buying the above, is that the cord is only 2 metres long, this will be extremely annoying moving around the car dragging an extension lead, or reaching across large panels. An other is that the backing plate is a large one(i think it is a 6", and the supplied pads, which are not great, are close to 7"). So it will be very hard to get good, regular sized, well know pads for it. You will probably end up buying a smaller backing plate and pads which will add to the cost of it over all.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I said I’d post here but will somewhere else if needed.
    My Karcher K5 won’t give full pressure using the foam lance.
    Also doesn’t give full pressure either on any of its own lances.
    But I can get it to full pressure using the lance by turning it on , it doesn’t go full pressure, so then I twist the lance down to low and up to high and then it kicks on at full pressure.

Anybody any ideas?

I think that makes sense anyway :-)

XsApollo wrote: »
    I said I’d post here but will somewhere else if needed.
    My Karcher K5 won’t give full pressure using the foam lance.
    Also doesn’t give full pressure either on any of its own lances.
    But I can get it to full pressure using the lance by turning it on , it doesn’t go full pressure, so then I twist the lance down to low and up to high and then it kicks on at full pressure.

Anybody any ideas?

I think that makes sense anyway :-)

How is your tap pressure, presuming you are running off an exterior tap? If the tap pressure is too low, the K5 may be struggling to draw enough to maintain pressure over a pro-longed time frame. Hence, possibly why you get sort bursts of full pressure after letting it flow at low(running water pressure). When you turn to high pressure it can draw enough water from the hose line to sustain high pressure before falling short again. Also, if using a hose reel for you garden hose line, un-wind it fully to make sure your hose isn't kinked or twisted, which will reduce flow rate.

How is your tap pressure, presuming you are running off an exterior tap? If the tap pressure is too low, the K5 may be struggling to draw enough to maintain pressure over a pro-longed time frame. Hence, possibly why you get sort bursts of full pressure after letting it flow at low(running water pressure). When you turn to high pressure it can draw enough water from the hose line to sustain high pressure before falling short again. Also, if using a hose reel for you garden hose line, un-wind it fully to make sure your hose isn't kinked or twisted, which will reduce flow rate.

Yea I’ve had it 5 years, and all that stuff is good I think.
    It’s just acting up recently.
    I’ll go on YouTube I’d say and see how to dismantle it.

Maybe a capacitor issue then. Generally an easy fix. Remove and replace.

Cheers, will have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

My dash has become a bit dusty and needs a wipe down. Is 50 Cal Precision Interior Dressing the recommended choice still?. Can this be used on every surface on a dash, even the screen?

• Advertisement

Benzino wrote: »
    My dash has become a bit dusty and needs a wipe down. Is 50 Cal Precision Interior Dressing the recommended choice still?. Can this be used on every surface on a dash, even the screen?

It can indeed be used everywhere (except on the steering wheel, pedals and anywhere a shiny/slippery surface is unwanted) however, don't spray it directly onto the dash. Instead spray onto a microfiber cloth or a sponge applicator and work it into the dash. Only apply it to screens, etc. after applying to the dash first in order to remove excess product. The reason for doing both of these things is that you don't want to spray or overload the product somewhere it could get in behind the screen or gauges and you would have to remove and dismantle to get it out again. It also stops it going onto the glass and causing smears which can be hard to get rid of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

It can indeed be used everywhere (except on the steering wheel, pedals and anywhere a shiny/slippery surface is unwanted) however, don't spray it directly onto the dash. Instead spray onto a microfiber cloth or a sponge applicator and work it into the dash. Only apply it to screens, etc. after applying to the dash first in order to remove excess product. The reason for doing both of these things is that you don't want to spray or overload the product somewhere it could get in behind the screen or gauges and you would have to remove and dismantle to get it out again. It also stops it going onto the glass and causing smears which can be hard to get rid of.

Perfect, thank you very much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Quick one for ye! Does anyone know anywhere around Dublin I could pick up a 5" backing pad? (Or have one I could borrow for a couple of days?) Would Woodies or B&Q have one that would suit?? I was full sure I had one and bought a load of 5" pads and after taking the DA out, I've only got a 6" backing plate and I don't want to risk using the bigger backing plate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Anyone use detail guardz? Picked up some a few weeks ago, used them yesterday for the first time even with the foam pads they still rise to the top of the bucket. Might invest in a smaller bucket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Any advice on a reasonably priced foam cannon for a karcher k3?
    I dont need a rolls Royce of foam cannons, just something to use on the auld mondeo for its monthly wash.

Any advice on a reasonably priced foam cannon for a karcher k3?
    I dont need a rolls Royce of foam cannons, just something to use on the auld mondeo for its monthly wash.

D&D Sell them but they seem to be out of stock of the Karcher K series fitment at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Hello all.

I just received my snow foam lance and want to give it a try. Im aware of the numerous Irish stockists but im limited to buying in Halfords today ( someone is collecting for me ) What Product would you recommend from Halfords that will work well with a snow foam lance?

Meguiars Hyperwash would be good if they stock it.

Meguiars Hyperwash would be good if they stock it.

I cant spot it on their website. Although I have read up on this and it seems like a good start (Autoglym polar blast snow foam)

• Advertisement

You can't see it because they probably don't stock it. It's only available in the 5 litre drums. CleanYourCar.co.uk stock it though.

D&D in Cork have Gtechniq snowfoam along with their own brand CleanerCar foam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Hello all.

I just received my snow foam lance and want to give it a try. Im aware of the numerous Irish stockists but im limited to buying in Halfords today ( someone is collecting for me ) What Product would you recommend from Halfords that will work well with a snow foam lance?

https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/car-cleaning/shampoo-polish-wax/autoglym-polar-blast-snow-foam-2-5l

https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/car-cleaning/shampoo-polish-wax/carplan-trade-hi-foam-wash-5l

They'll probably have AF Avalanche aswell

Just wanted to say I tried out the autogylm polar snow foam. Very impressed with how long it clung to the bike even though it was in direct sunlight etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Anyone used CarPro Hydro2 Lite? Looking for something easier to apply than ceramic coating and this popped up on a search. Obviously won't last as long as ceramic but if I even got two months or so between appliances I'd be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭yannakis

Duff wrote: »
    Anyone used CarPro Hydro2 Lite? Looking for something easier to apply than ceramic coating and this popped up on a search. Obviously won't last as long as ceramic but if I even got two months or so between appliances I'd be happy.

I have that but only used it twice. You'll get beautiful beading with the first rain, BUT, it lasts for about a week :pac:

• Advertisement

Gtechniq C2 V3

Get a tin of soft99 fusso
    prep and 2 light coats you should get 6 months no problem out of it before topping up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

vectra wrote: »
    Get a tin of soft99 fusso
    prep and 2 light coats you should get 6 months no problem out of it before topping up.

I find ceramic coatings easier to apply than Fusso :pac::D

I find ceramic coatings easier to apply than Fusso :pac::D

I find Fusso much better value for money :pac::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭celticsfan

Lads,only getting into this detailing craic so a bit of a newbie question..

It's a bit of a long process going from pre wash to LSP.. if you were to split the process over 2 days,finishing up after a 2 bucket wash,de-tar and de-iron on the first day,then starting claying and then wax the following day...

Would a rinse with the power washer before claying on the second day suffice..I don't have a garage to put the car in overnight so there would not be any protection to the paint as such...

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement