Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Detailing chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

vectra wrote: »
    I find Fusso much better value for money :pac::p

You're too old be be applying and buffing wax every so often :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

You're too old be be applying and buffing wax every so often :pac:

Keeps me active somewhat :o
    I only need to do it 3~4 times a year, so not too bad.

Ceramic coating - Crystal Serum - 3 years with 1 application.

Ceramic coating - Crystal Serum - 3 years with 1 application.

And apply it on the street? :D

And apply it on the street? :D

D&D aren't a million miles from ya!

Didn't you apply CQUK on the street?

D&D aren't a million miles from ya!

Didn't you apply CQUK on the street?

about 20 miles.
    But I don't want anyone else doing my car as it is so simple to give it a coat of wax,
    I did apply CQUK on the street as it is a product that can be applied this way.
    I was wondering about the crystal serum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭rd1izb7lvpuksx

Does anyone have a recommendation for getting cigarette smoke out of soft surfaces? I had the car valeted, swapped the cabin filter, washed the ashtray, but in the recent sunny days, the smell has come back. I'm fairly sure it's the headliner, but I'm worried about weakening the adhesive and causing sagging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

Could this be used on an electric pressure wash?

https://www.woodies.ie/water-filter-kit-352499

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭yannakis

Do you guys use a buffer tank of some sort before your powerwashers?

yannakis wrote: »
    Do you guys use a buffer tank of some sort before your powerwashers?

Buffer tank?

• Advertisement

As far as I know it's a tank that you connect the water supply to and then the pressure washer to the tank. The tank will remain at a certain level always and this decreases the work placed on the main water supply while the pressure washer is in use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭yannakis

As far as I know it's a tank that you connect the water supply to and then the pressure washer to the tank. The tank will remain at a certain level always and this decreases the work placed on the main water supply while the pressure washer is in use.

Correct. My 1.5 y/old water pump in the house had to be replaced recently, and I'm retrospectively wondering if the powerwasher was part of the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

This might be a bit of a basic question, but I couldn't find it anywhere else.

What does an exterior detailing starter kit look like to people here? If someone was to go out and pick up what would be considered the basics to get started with detailing, what would they be? Or is that possibly too broad a question?

Bawnmore wrote: »

What does an exterior detailing starter kit look like to people here? If someone was to go out and pick up what would be considered the basics to get started with detailing, what would they be? Or is that possibly too broad a question?

Wash mitt
    Shampoo
    Clay bar & lube
    Tar Remover
    Maybe glass cleaner
    Maybe polish
    Wax
    Maybe tyre shine

Wash mitt
    Shampoo
    Clay bar & lube
    Tar Remover
    Maybe glass cleaner
    Maybe polish
    Wax
    Maybe tyre shine

2 buckets
    Drying towel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

I would also say, what is missing from the above, and is in my opinion the most important part of the wash process, is a quality pre-wash product, be it a citrus based pre-wash or a water based degreaser......my favourite being Bilt Hamber Surfex HD. Grit and dirt particles are one of the main reasons for damaging the paintwork during a wash. Use a good quality pre-wash, and/or quality snow foam, to soften and loosen dirt and traffic film, and power wash off prior to performing a your "hands on" part of your wash process. This will help reduce the amount /probability of inflicting wash marring or minor swirling.

Jaysus lads I'm losing it haha...left out the above :o:D

Having said that, I use a Metro Sidekick blaster instead of drying towels followed by MF's for spreading and buffing LSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Thanks folks - I'm missing a claybar and a few other bits, so I'll have a poke around the forum and see what everyone's been using.

60871759_2609945452362367_4006141341028319232_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=0865f4086ab71dc1a998cfd2e0cfbe31&oe=5D69F2F8

• Advertisement

Does anyone use a water filter system when using their power washer? I am sick of lime stains on the car

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Richard88

Wash mitt
    Shampoo
    Clay bar & lube
    Tar Remover
    Maybe glass cleaner
    Maybe polish
    Wax
    Maybe tyre shine

Plenty of micro fibers and a couple of detailing brushes!

Richard88 wrote: »
    Plenty of micro fibers and a couple of detailing brushes!

You'd buy those separately rather than as part of what you'd expect in an off-the-shelf kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Richard88

You'd buy those separately rather than as part of what you'd expect in an off-the-shelf kit.

I read it as if he was trying to buy the basics to make his own starter kit!

In either case I saw d and d detailing doing a kit for 250euro - which included practically every thing you’d need that doesn’t have a plug! Could be an option if you were starting from scratch! There’s propbably better value out there though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭celticsfan

Bawnmore wrote: »

You could buy the deluxe kit direct from bilt hamber for 132quid,great products and good value... just get a couple of buckets with grit guards then and you are on your way..

I buy from the UK stores anyway,as even with delivery they are cheaper than the shops here on most stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

celticsfan wrote: »
    You could buy the deluxe kit direct from bilt hamber for 132quid,great products and good value... just get a couple of buckets with grit guards then and you are on your way..

I buy from the UK stores anyway,as even with delivery they are cheaper than the shops here on most stuff...

Yeah I buy from slims detailing. Great value even with shipping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Can anyone recommend a handheld/car vacuum cleaner?

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

Just putting together an order on slims at the moment here, wondering if anyone has pulled the trigger on the instafinish products? I've seen some talk on DW that its Chemical Guy's under a different guise, but bot sure if its true.

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Any suggestions on a good APC? Preferably not online (unless there's decent savings vs brinks and mortar shops). Halfords is the only B&M shop that comes to mind that's near me.

Also a good, low sling, tire dressing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭Ryath

Bilt Hamber Surfex HD is really good. I bought it for the car but use it for loads of cleaning around the house now. You dilute it so even the 1L bottle lasts ages.
    Don't know what part of the country you're in but these all have brick and mortar shops. You'll have it in a day or two ordering online anyway. My last order from reflect came in the morning next day despite only ordering late in the afternoon.

https://www.reflectautocare.ie/Detailing-Products/Bilt-Hamber/Bilt-Hamber-Surfex-HD

https://www.autopia.ie/product/9199/

https://detailingemporium.com/shop/bilt-hamber-surfex-hd/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Maybe a dumb question but what do people use APC for?

I have dedicated interior cleaners, wheel cleaners, bodywork, etc, so just not sure where APC fits in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I have dedicated interior cleaners, wheel cleaners, bodywork, etc, so just not sure where APC fits in.

I use it for interior plastics,door shuts, engine bay, stubborn dirt on paint or glass and a few other jobs

I use it for All Purpose Cleaning :pac:

Seriously though, I mainly use it after tar remover to break down the greasy film left behind, on tyre walls to remove old tyre shine and on engine bay parts.

Basically anywhere there's grease where you don't want grease.

Basically anywhere there's grease where you don't want grease.

My car is 100% grease free courtesy of my OCD, so guess I don't need any! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

what would a good APC be? there is so much choice I never know which one to get. Saying that I don't really know what I would use it for :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I use BH Surfix, diluted down to various concentrations;
    *1:3 water under bonnet, suspension parts, wheel liners, tyres, etc
    *1:5 on the likes of door shuts, steps, etc
    *1:10 as a bug remover (if the soaked microfiber doesn't work) and to remove black streaks from Motorhome/Caravan bodies

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Badger2009

Koch Chemie green star is the best value I could find in an APC and its as good if not better than Surfex. I use it for most things at 1:10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Badger2009 wrote: »
    Koch Chemie green star is the best value I could find in an APC and its as good if not better than Surfex. I use it for most things at 1:10.

1 litre is 5 pound, ridiculously good value for money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Brought my car for a full valet recently and was very disappointed with the final result and felt it was a bit of a rip off. So few days ago after some nasty bird poo decided to wash the car myself. Found it to my surprise quite enjoyable. However all I did was use some tesco car washing sponge and fairy liquid and hosed it down at the end. It was good enough, probably matched the full valet in terms of immediate end result apart few spots I seemed to miss completely for some reason. Any one could give me a list of gear and consumables I should get to do a decent job. I’m not going to be doing this every weekend but from time to time so probably don’t need any high end pro grade stuff. Also something to keep the bright leather upholstery as clean as possible. Thanks

omri wrote: »
    Brought my car for a full valet recently and was very disappointed with the final result and felt it was a bit of a rip off. So few days ago after some nasty bird poo decided to wash the car myself. Found it to my surprise quite enjoyable. However all I did was use some tesco car washing sponge and fairy liquid and hosed it down at the end. It was good enough, probably matched the full valet in terms of immediate end result apart few spots I seemed to miss completely for some reason. Any one could give me a list of gear and consumables I should get to do a decent job. I’m not going to be doing this every weekend but from time to time so probably don’t need any high end pro grade stuff. Also something to keep the bright leather upholstery as clean as possible. Thanks

First, burn the sponge and bin the washing up liquid. Next up buy a microfiber mitt and some proprietary car wash in Halfords or similar. Get some Turtle Wax it Wet and a microfibre drying towel, it will leave a great finish.

The above is really the simplest approach and from there you can build and expand to infinity with regard to cleaning if it takes your fancy.

Had the power washer out, so I said i'd rince down the car (twas only washed a few days ago).

Then I noticed water spots below the beltline, so I thought a bit of wax would be no harm, so I quickly washed the car. Then I noticed some light scuffs here and there. Guess I should polish those up before waxing.... oh look, some iron fallout rust spots, better iron-x those bad boys too.

In the end I did somewhat of a half assed job with iron-x, polish and finally waxing about half the car. Through the whole process I kept seeing more reasons to iron-x the entire car but this was supposed to be a 5 minute blast with the washer. :(

I just wanted to give it a little freshen up! :rolleyes:

This happen to everyone else, all the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

Yep, was only planning to snow foam and wash the car on Sunday. Saw some tree sap on bits of it and tar in other spots so ended up snow foaming, washing, drying, de-tarring, de-ironing and washing it. I left it then and yesterday morning I snow foamed it again and clayed it, washed it and finally put some Fusso on it. This morning then it was lashing!!

Hebegeebee wrote: »
    finally put some Fusso on it. This morning then it was lashing!!

And we get no beading shots :mad: :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

I know. The body was a bit broken today. I’ll get some later and post them up in the “Today I did some detailing...” thread.

And the overnight mist left some lovely beading on the bonnet this morning. Really showed up the lack of wax on the roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

This probably the silliest question ever... but for those who own Wheel Woollies, how do you clean them after use.
    I don't mean how do you use them to clean your wheels. I put my dirty microfibre towels and cloths in the washing machine after use. What do you do with your dirty brushes?

This probably the silliest question ever... but for those who own Wheel Woollies, how do you clean them after use.
    I don't mean how do you use them to clean your wheels. I put my dirty microfibre towels and cloths in the washing machine after use. What do you do with your dirty brushes?

Run them under the tap and squeeze out as much suds etc as you can. Give them a shake and a dry with a towel and then let them air dry. Don't put them on a radiator.

Took a rushed pic at lunchtime there. Not the best pic, but still decent beading.
    de92dde76c637e113fadad34381f8607.png

First, burn the sponge and bin the washing up liquid. Next up buy a microfiber mitt and some proprietary car wash in Halfords or similar. Get some Turtle Wax it Wet and a microfibre drying towel, it will leave a great finish.

The above is really the simplest approach and from there you can build and expand to infinity with regard to cleaning if it takes your fancy.

So the microfiber mit is to wash the car with some car specific soap after initial rinse? How do I apply that Wax it Wet? Do I need a power washer? Can I use it for wheels too or use the sponge instead of burning it?

omri wrote: »
    So the microfiber mit is to wash the car with some car specific soap after initial rinse? How do I apply that Wax it Wet? Do I need a power washer? Can I use it for wheels too or use the sponge instead of burning it?

Yes to the first question. Just spray on the Wax after cleaning and then dry with drying towel. I wouldn't bother with a power washer, hose and bucket are fine.

For wheels buy a pH neutral wheel cleaner and a soft brush. You can use a mit on the wheels too, just don't ever use the same MIT for both paint and wheels.

• Advertisement

What do you recommend to use for the interior? Cream leather, darker trim everywhere else. Getting dusty pretty quickly plus some ink transfer on seats.

Advertisement