Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Detailing chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Masala wrote: »
    Lads,, have a brand new 192 in Black for about a week or so.

what would ye recommend for a newbie like me to start washing the car??

what sequence should I follow??? I dont really want to end up swirling my new car!!!

was think of the following:
    1 A hose down to get the dirt off
    2. A 2 bucket wash using Halfords car wash.
    3. a Dry cloth to dry off the wet
    4. a buff cloth to get rid of any residue marks.
    5. a handwash of the Alloys and then a hose down

what ye think??? am i on the right track

regards

As Mr P said, if you have no protection on, stop. Get protection (wax/sealant) on if you want it to keep looking it's best

What you need is to minimise the amount of rubbing on the car to minimise swirls. So, start with a prewash (not just water), proper 2BW with a decent wash-mit and pH neutral shampoo. Then, detar, fallout remover, claying and stripping back any old protection. Rewash, dry (with a proper towel) and now the car is clean. Then seal.

For drying, I use a Dry-me-Crazy, not any chamois (I learned my lesson!). I now generally use BIlt Hamber Auto-QD diluted down to help the drying also.

For "buffing" what were you thinking of buffing and what were you going to use? If the wash is done correctly and dried, there is no need to "buff".

Some examples of my techniques and potions used include
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109885111&postcount=5660
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109828475&postcount=5652
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108326827&postcount=5542

Also, I learned the hard way (hard on the pocket) that long term, the Halfords stuff works out more expensive. While the proper detailing potions seem more expensive, per use they are much cheaper (as you need less of them).

Sorry for appearing hard, but I've seen people destroy new cars through not knowing what to do (an old neighbor would use bleach to wash the car!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

anyone experience issue this time of year few birch and maple trees around and car is covered in pollen dust or whatever, just last day washed it, waxed it to shine, come out this morning and bonnet and windows etc covered in grit like stuff :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Headshot wrote: »

No to the bucket bundle as it contains a sponge (they are terrible for keeping dirt next to the paint) and three thin microfibers. I'm not a fan of the combined wash and wax as they can leave a horrid residue on the windscreen.

The wheel brush is a bit big for getting into the nooks and crannies in a wheel.

The wash mit I'd leave. They are a bit hard. The only person that I know that uses a Halfords one uses it on a mountain bike.

Most definitely a NO to the wheel cleaner. It's acidic for a start!

Glass cleaner, I've never used it but Meguiars stuff isn't too bad, generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ianobrien wrote: »
    No to the bucket bundle as it contains a sponge (they are terrible for keeping dirt next to the paint) and three thin microfibers. I'm not a fan of the combined wash and wax as they can leave a horrid residue on the windscreen.

The wheel brush is a bit big for getting into the nooks and crannies in a wheel.

The wash mit I'd leave. They are a bit hard. The only person that I know that uses a Halfords one uses it on a mountain bike.

So basically back to the starting board lol

If anyone have some recommendations i'm all ears

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

ianobrien wrote: »

what do you use to seal the finish with, for plastic wheels and paint ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Headshot wrote: »
    So basically back to the starting board lol

If anyone have some recommendations i'm all ears

If you want to do a good job and are trying to stop swirl marks etc. on your car, don't go cheap to begin with. Get products that aren't cheap but go a long way.

I presume you're fixed on Halfords? D&D Detailing in Cork have a huge range of stuff and generally the prices are good compared to Halfords.

- 2 Buckets - One wash and one rinse. Grit guards if you can go that far
    - Meguiars Gold Class car shampoo / Meguiars NXT shampoo
    - Meguiars lambswool wash mit
    - Meguiars drying towel
    - Microfibre cloths (probably only Halfords available)
    - Can't really recommend a wheel cleaner from there because they're all either acidic or just crap
    - Meguiars Gold Class wax / NXT Wax
    - Wax applicator pads
    - Meguiars Reflect tyre shine
    - Meguiars Glass Cleaner

All the Meguiars stuff I've used and one point or another and I've never used anything other than that lambswool mit to wash my own cars. I currently use the tyre shine and I love it. It's a good range but not cheap to begin with and then Halfords throw their markup on top.

If I were you I'd forget Halfords and have a look at danddetailing.ie and pick whatever suits you for the list above.

Benzino wrote: »
    Gtechniq c2v3 says not to apply in direct sunlight, does it matter if you are gonna buff it in straight away and not give it time to dry?

If you do that you'll end up with dark streaks on the paint. Any product like that (or any product full stop) needs to be applied to a cool-to-the-touch panel and in the shade. Once the whole car has been done that way and all product has been buffed then it's not a bad idea to let it cure in the sun (not necessary at all but it's nice to admire the job you've just done) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Question for old guard experienced lads.

When your finishing your cars what products would you use on your/customer wind deflectors?

I am currently treating a new aerial base and cleaning mirror plastics ready for some car pro dlux and looked my wind deflectors and started thinking Dlux or glass sealant. Should I bother.

I have only generally taken them and give them good scrub before replacing them at last minute before now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

RE dead flies. I've tried using a wet cloth, but it's awkward for where they're stuck to the front of the car.
    Is there any product that's good at removing them?

RE dead flies. I've tried using a wet cloth, but it's awkward for where they're stuck to the front of the car.
    Is there any product that's good at removing them?

Have Bilthamber surfex hd and Koch chemie bug thing.

Most APC should break em down, spray on leave to dwell and rinse. Any tougher buggers can be agitated with a detail brush pre rinse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

edburg wrote: »
    Question for old guard experienced lads.

When your finishing your cars what products would you use on your/customer wind deflectors?

I am currently treating a new aerial base and cleaning mirror plastics ready for some car pro dlux and looked my wind deflectors and started thinking Dlux or glass sealant. Should I bother.

I have only generally taken them and give them good scrub before replacing them at last minute before now.

I just use whatever I'm putting on the paint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

So where is everyone doing their online shopping now?

Slattsy wrote: »
    So where is everyone doing their online shopping now?

D&D Detailing, CleanYourCar.co.uk and bilthamber.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

D&D Detailing, CleanYourCar.co.uk and bilthamber.com.

I'd add in2detailing.co.uk to that list, great range and quick delivery.

• Advertisement

I use Autopia,Reflect Auto Care, D&D or some UK sites depending what products I'm after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Technique

I've used Blok 51 in County Derry and found them good.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

For me,
    Autopia.ie
    dnddetailing.ie
    Slimsdetailing.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Autopia
    The Car Salon
    Blok51
    in2detailing.

Slim's detailing, has everything I use bar 2 items from carchem.

Rag company for well rags

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭doh1988

Autopia.ie for me a lot lately!

Autopia seems the be the site I've been looking for :)

Normally during a holiday weekend they offer a Vat free sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Picked up a Nilfisk e145 on amazon prime day. Great machine with an induction motor , very quiet and powerful.
    I dislike the long gun that comes with it. Has anyone found a good short trigger type spray gun that fits to a nilfisk quick disconnect system?
    A google search didn’t throw up much
    Thanks

vectra wrote: »

Normally during a holiday weekend they offer a Vat free sale.

Cheers I might hold fire till then I've a few things to get so every little helps.

Picked up a Nilfisk e145 on amazon prime day. Great machine with an induction motor , very quiet and powerful.
    I dislike the long gun that comes with it. Has anyone found a good short trigger type spray gun that fits to a nilfisk quick disconnect system?
    A google search didn’t throw up much
    Thanks

Something like this?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F271631979803

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132263500482

PsychoPete wrote: »

I’m not sure.

The outlet from my nilfisk hose is this.

https://ibb.co/nrb8xFC

I want to get something like this package :

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/collections/all-pressure-washing/products/mosmatic-spray-gun-wand-package

I got in touch with them and they said they don’t have a connector that’ll connect the nilfisk to that mosmatic gun & wand connector

Ceramic coatings are hard work but the benefits alleviate the usual hard work of washing and drying a car....

https://flic.kr/p/2gC4Dwd

Ceramic coatings are hard work but the benefits alleviate the usual hard work of washing and drying a car....

https://flic.kr/p/2gC4Dwd

What dryer is that Dave?
    Often thought of getting one.

Looks like a master blaster sidekick

• Advertisement

Correct and right! :)

Correct and right! :)

What's the airflow on that ?

What's the airflow on that ?

205mph

205mph

Thinking of getting a blower.
    Was looking at a Ryobi battery one, I think 250kph
    You think that would be strong enough? I know little would do for a well protected car.

I'd say it would be grand but given that it's probably battery operated is why it's not as strong. The only thing that annoys me with the blaster is the cable and needing an extension cord. I'm forever stepping on it and it irritates me hah

I bought the long extension pipe for the blaster in order to reduce the annoyance but it dramatically reduces the power as it's mainly designed for the bigger cylinder ones.

D&D have Flex battery-operated blowers but they're pricey.

I see Carbon Collective are selling blowers for €200 delivered, around the same price as the Big Boi version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Master Blasters are fantastic, we have a 4+4hp Blaster and it's excellent, great for drying cars after a post polish wash. The Flex blowers are good too but they're not designed to dry whole cars, more to ensure cracks and crevices are dry.

Has anyone used the new Fusso Coat yet? Seen that it is a new formula and no solvent smell from it. 12 euro more expensive also

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Has anyone used the new Fusso Coat yet? Seen that it is a new formula and no solvent smell from it. 12 euro more expensive also

Didn't think it was available here yet.
    Apparently it is as you say, not as solvent smelly.
    And supposed to be slightly easier to use. I wouldn't think it is worth the €12 more.

• Advertisement

Didn't think it was available here yet.
    Apparently it is as you say, not as solvent smelly.
    And supposed to be slightly easier to use. I wouldn't think it is worth the €12 more.

I ordered some from a German detailing company, there's some on ebay too. Was curious to see the difference. Have nearly a full pot of the "old" stuff

First order from Autopia yesterday and it arrived this morning. Not sure if anyone from this site is involved with them, but bloody good job!

First order from Autopia yesterday and it arrived this morning. Not sure if anyone from this site is involved with them, but bloody good job!

Did you get the 15% discount?

Nope :o

I only seen the email re 15% this morning. I had completely forgot, I know someone mentioned in the thread already.

Nope :o

I only seen the email re 15% this morning. I had completely forgot, I know someone mentioned in the thread already.

Probably me,
    They always do some form of discount over the long weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭celticsfan

Lads has anyone ever ordered anything from Slims Detailing in the UK?? Just wondering do they use a courier or would it come via An Post??? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

celticsfan wrote: »
    Lads has anyone ever ordered anything from Slims Detailing in the UK?? Just wondering do they use a courier or would it come via An Post??? Thanks

An Post from what I recall. My last order with them was in April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The black rubber floor mats in my car look a bit faded. Any suggestions for a product to make them darker again with a matte finish? Obviously I don't want the surface of the mats to be slippy/greasy afterwards.

Gtechniq C4 or CarPro DLUX

Gtechniq C4 or CarPro DLUX

Seriously :confused:
    I often wondered about using Dlux on them from new.

It's faded rubber...therefore yes of course! It's quite an expensive thing to do though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement