Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Detailing chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Thanks MM. As for using a BMW product, as long as it's good I don't care. Sure I use VAG screenwash in the Fiats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Any recommendations for removing light scratches from the instrument cluster clear screen/window? Audi A6 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    Any recommendations for removing light scratches from the instrument cluster clear screen/window? Audi A6 2012.

Dunno would it work in your situation but I’ve used toothpaste to remove scratches from similar surfaces. Gently buff it in with a dry cloth then wipe off with a damp cloth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Dunno would it work in your situation but I’ve used toothpaste to remove scratches from similar surfaces. Gently buff it in with a dry cloth then wipe off with a damp cloth.

That VAG plastic is so soft it's ridiculous. If you are doing the above test in a small area at the edge first. So easy just to make it worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not sure if this is detailing chat or not, but is it possible to get a large scuff on the windscreen buffed out/filled in?

I think previous owner must have let a wiper get down to nothing, and at one point it was metal rubbing on the screen.

There is now a long arc-shaped scuff on the windscreen....thankfully on the passenger side but I'd like to get it fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Cerium oxide (CarPro Ceriglass) and a rayon pad on a polishing machine will do the job. You will need to apply a coating to the glass afterwards though as doing this will make water sheet on the glass which isn't nice. Something like Gtechniq G1 is what you'll need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

Almost impossible to get out.. I had someone try to machine polish a similar scratch out of my last cars windscreen.. no joy.. he used a machine and product mentioned in previous post
    NIMAN wrote: »
    Not sure if this is detailing chat or not, but is it possible to get a large scuff on the windscreen buffed out/filled in?

I think previous owner must have let a wiper get down to nothing, and at one point it was metal rubbing on the screen.

There is now a long arc-shaped scuff on the windscreen....thankfully on the passenger side but I'd like to get it fixed.

Hi guys,
    Ordered a new Tiguan today for end of Feb 2020 delivery. Would like to get a ceramic coating applied. Dealer is in drogehda I'm north dublin.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hi guys,
    Ordered a new Tiguan today for end of Feb 2020 delivery. Would like to get a ceramic coating applied. Dealer is in drogehda I'm north dublin.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Mick

Brian at Spirit detailing

OR
    Flawless detailing in Drogheda. << Could probably do it in the dealers proir to collection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

FYI 50% off products at https://www.50caldetailing.co.uk/

Their Penta Wax is excellent & I really like Precission Interior Dressing.

20% off accessories & apparel

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭winter2019

Bought a short trigger swivel gun with quick release nozzles and an MTM PF22 foam cannon. Look forward to testing them out ! Which nozzle would most use on a car, the 40degree one?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Hebegeebee

I use the 40° nozzle all the time on the car. Anything less seems too harsh and I wouldn’t want to risk doing damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Most people would use the 40° but personally I think tthe 25° would be fine aswell, never had a problem with it

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Debub

Anyone used or know about CeramicPro in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

winter2019 wrote: »
    Bought a short trigger swivel gun with quick release nozzles and an MTM PF22 foam cannon. Look forward to testing them out ! Which nozzle would most use on a car, the 40degree one?
    Where'd you buy them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭winter2019

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Where'd you buy them?

https://www.in2detailing.co.uk/

They have separate versions for Karcher / Nilfisk etc . Quick release connectors on the swivel gun and on the foam cannon

winter2019 wrote: »
    https://www.in2detailing.co.uk/

They have separate versions for Karcher / Nilfisk etc . Quick release connectors on the swivel gun and on the foam cannon

Bought from there a few times, Imran is a gent to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Have purchased from them in the past and had been looking at them on there. May just pull the trigger on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭CFC007

Any shops in Dublin where I could pick up CarPro Eraser?

CFC007 wrote: »
    Any shops in Dublin where I could pick up CarPro Eraser?

Don't think anyone other than Reflect Auto Care stock CarPro

• Advertisement

Can you get a door sprayed on its own, without there being a slight difference between it and the surrounding panels?

Can you get a door sprayed on its own, without there being a slight difference between it and the surrounding panels?

A lot would depend on how old the car is ?
    Then some colors are harder to match.

vectra wrote: »
    A lot would depend on how old the car is ?
    Then some colors are harder to match.

Silver/grey. Full respray 2 years ago.

That could make it a bit more difficult in my opinion,
    As long as whoever resprayed it got the color mix 100% then it should match in well.
    If however they got the mix almost right, then that color will be off and would make it more difficult, but probably not impossible.
    Can you take it back to whoever resprayed it?

That could make it a bit more difficult in my opinion,
    As long as whoever resprayed it got the color mix 100% then it should match in well.
    If however they got the mix almost right, then that color will be off and would make it more difficult, but probably not impossible.
    Can you take it back to whoever resprayed it?

Prob not, but possible. Never considered it but doing the while side would prob be cheaper.
    How come it’s a full side? Is the difference not noticeable when you turn the corner?
    I was surprised. I thought these days you just did a panel. It’s mad what a minor bit of damage can lead to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Silver never blends in well when only one panel is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭chalky_ie

Anyone have an idea of price for a full detail/polish from a reputable source in the Dublin area? Paint has a decent amount of swirls etc., not sure how comprehensive the polish would have to be.

conor-w wrote: »
    Anyone have an idea of price for a full detail/polish from a reputable source in the Dublin area? Paint has a decent amount of swirls etc., not sure how comprehensive the polish would have to be.
    How long is a piece of string?

Realistically you would have to present the car to the detailer for them to assess the condition of the paint and how much work needs to be done,
    Also what LSP you want on it.
    My suggestion would be to bring it to Brian at spiritdetailing.

Go to THIS thread for a list of detailers, some of whom are around Dublin/Kildare

Thanks lads, any idea at all of a ballpark figure? I wouldn't have any interest in doing it if it's nearing 500 quid or something like that.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, any idea at all of a ballpark figure? I wouldn't have any interest in doing it if it's nearing 500 quid or something like that.

I guess it wouldnt be far off that, depending exactly what you want.

Another option is buy a kit and do it yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

As said. It's impossible to say.

You're looking at roughly 40e an hour for anyone decent.

Most places will do a free assessment so bring it over and get it under a good light and see what's required hour wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

The price you pay will be relative to the level of workmanship. The guys who do it cheap will be the guys without adequate lighting, will cut corners and their skill set will not be anywhere near the more expensive, experienced guys.

Also, good luck in any reparations if they manage to inflict any damage to the paintwork/car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

OP keep in mind that €300 will buy to a decent DA, some pads, microfibers and a quality one step polish like Scholl S20 Black and a good sealant. Loads on online tutorials will steer you straight. You will then have all the gear if you get into it.

This is what I did last year with fantastic results, and have done a number of cars since. Very satisfying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Hey lads hope its ok to post here instead of making a new thread. Just picked up a 152 White Focus, and I want to look after it as best I can, so I have been lurking here the last week and have picked up a couple of starting points.

2 Bucket Wash etc. I am looking to get a few bits to get started, I was supposed to head out to Reflect Autocare as I’m based in Finglas myself but thought they closed at 4...

I know most people stay away from the likes of Halfords etc, but this kit caught my eye to start me off before getting into brand specific stuff.

https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/car-cleaning/car-cleaning-kits/autoglym-perfect-bodywork-wheels-and-interior-gift-collection

Ill couple it with some decent mitts etc. Any pointers greatly appreciated lads, thanks a mill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Got a bottle of ASI Snap Seal liquid carnauba wax from a mate of mine.
    Anyone any experience using it?
    Tips, suggestions?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gendry

Snap Seal liquid wax is pretty decent. I guess the application is the same as any other liquid wax. For the best results, youre best off using a clay bar before applying a wax after. Gives it a nicer shine and stronger bind.

Does anyone have any experience removing the residue left by double sided tape on headlights? My car had eyelids on the headlights when I bought it, I took them off, but a decent amount of residue stayed on the surface, some of it pretty thick. Not sure whether to just buy some WD40, or go for a tar remover or something like that, don't want to end up having to buy twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

Does anyone have any experience removing the residue left by double sided tape on headlights? My car had eyelids on the headlights when I bought it, I took them off, but a decent amount of residue stayed on the surface, some of it pretty thick. Not sure whether to just buy some WD40, or go for a tar remover or something like that, don't want to end up having to buy twice.

I haven't found a residue like that that isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol hasn't been able to help with. It's great stuff for dissolving adhesives. That said I haven't had to use it on double sided tape before so not 100% sure it'd work.

• Advertisement

theintern wrote: »
    I haven't found a residue like that that isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol hasn't been able to help with. It's great stuff for dissolving adhesives. That said I haven't had to use it on double sided tape before so not 100% sure it'd work.

Thanks for the response, I've read a few places that you shouldn't use it on headlights as it can damage them. Were you using it on headlights specifically?

I normally use a bit of heat for double sided tape

HG Sticker remover is my go-to product for removing adhesive and its residue.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

Thanks for the response, I've read a few places that you shouldn't use it on headlights as it can damage them. Were you using it on headlights specifically?

Ah, very possible, no I just meant in general. I've never had to use it on headlights. Don't do it so!

hi folks,

new car detailing questions. I priced and for a professional job its out of my budget at the moment.

If i was to do something myself - wash/wax etc..

What would recommended wax products? I've tried colinite and Bilt hamber speedwx before. Full leather on the inside. Thinking a good wipe with dr leather wipes or maybe a treatment with a different product?

Cheers,
    Mick

Was quoted 800 for a ceramic coat and interior protection.. breaks down as 550 plus 250. Hard to justify on a brand new car. I was hoping to get a ceramic coat for around 250 but that seems unrealistic?
    hi folks,

new car detailing questions. I priced and for a professional job its out of my budget at the moment.

If i was to do something myself - wash/wax etc..

What would recommended wax products? I've tried colinite and Bilt hamber speedwx before. Full leather on the inside. Thinking a good wipe with dr leather wipes or maybe a treatment with a different product?

Cheers,
    Mick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Was quoted 800 for a ceramic coat and interior protection.. breaks down as 550 plus 250. Hard to justify on a brand new car. I was hoping to get a ceramic coat for around 250 but that seems unrealistic?

Why not do it yourself?

I bought the stuff and gave it a lash....nothing to lose. Just followed the instruction....I thought I made a balls of it but it worked. Need to redo now as you would notice it has wore off,......

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Why not do it yourself?

I bought the stuff and gave it a lash....nothing to lose. Just followed the instruction....I thought I made a balls of it but it worked. Need to redo now as you would notice it has wore off,......
    Haven't done ceramic coating but have done clay bar, waxing etc.. probably just go with that..

Haven't done ceramic coating but have done clay bar, waxing etc.. probably just go with that..

Ceramic coating itself is easy enough.
    BUT
    If you do not prep ( Machine polish any defects out ) the car properly first, then you are basically locking in the defects.

I went a different route this time and so far I am very happy with it,

Prep the car as per usual,
    Give it a wipedown of something like carpro erasor or similar.
    One coat of Sonax PNS
    topped with one mist of Sonax BSD

Then a light mist of BSD every other wash.

Gyeon Can Coat would be a good alternative if you didn't want to go down the route of a proper ceramic coating

Thanks I'll check it out. Is the sonax pns a must application? I'll YouTube
    Ceramic coating itself is easy enough.
    BUT
    If you do not prep ( Machine polish any defects out ) the car properly first, then you are basically locking in the defects.

I went a different route this time and so far I am very happy with it,

Prep the car as per usual,
    Give it a wipedown of something like carpro erasor or similar.
    One coat of Sonax PNS
    topped with one mist of Sonax BSD

Then a light mist of BSD every other wash.

• Advertisement
Advertisement