Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inherit farm

Options
  • 11-04-2014 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

How much to inherit a farm of land in 2014
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ford 5600

raher1 wrote: »
    How much to inherit a farm of land in 2014

How long is a piece of string ? Too many different circumstances for a definite answer. Related or not, Any AG qualifications, value of property at time of transfer etc. Not trying to be smart with you in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

As ford said it depends on a multiple of factors.
    Here is a link to the Revenue Commissioners website relating to inheritance taxes.
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/personal/circumstances/bereavement/inheritance-tax.html

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭raher1

Do you need the farm certification?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Do you need the farm certification?

To avoid Stamp duty, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

munkus wrote: »
    To avoid Stamp duty, yes.

No you don't.
    Ring your local advisor. They will explain all. Just after researching it myself.

• Advertisement

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    No you don't.
    Ring your local advisor. They will explain all. Just after researching it myself.

If you are under 35 and have the cert, you don't pay the 1% (or is it 2%). What else qualifies for this exemption?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

If you are under 35 and have the cert, you don't pay the 1% (or is it 2%). What else qualifies for this exemption?

As it inherited in a will? ie upon death

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

So if you don't have the green cert you only pay 2% of the value?
    Is there not gift etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

I stand to be corrected - but I thought there was no stamp duty on inheritence of a farm.

There is stamp duty on a gift (of a farm).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There are way too many questions you would need to answer to get an idea of the tax liability such as the value and type of your current assets, your relationship with the disponer, previous inheritances etc etc. For something of this size you should consult a tax advisor.

• Advertisement

I stand to be corrected - but I thought there was no stamp duty on inheritence of a farm.

There is stamp duty on a gift (of a farm).

So if we die in the morning, our child can inherit the farm with no stamp duty to be paid, but when we retire & hand over to whichever, they're liable. Based on no green cert.
    Have I taken that up wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

If you are related ie. Son,daughter, wife, father - no stamp duty
    Favourite niece or nephfew- no stamp duty
    But you have to hold a greencert to be exempt.

If you do not hold a greencert you pay 2% of market value

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fixitagaintomo

Depends on how many parcels of land are involved (one block of land doesn't always mean one parcel). Solicitors fee is around 3 to 4k per parcel.
    If you want the stamp duty exemption (and I presume you do) you will need an ag cert and will have to work on the farm for a period of 5 years filing tax returns for each year.
    transfer of entitlements is another pain in the ass, you'll need a solicitor or adviser to do that.

Im currently coming to the end of a transfer, its taken 18 months!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Depends on how many parcels of land are involved (one block of land doesn't always mean one parcel). Solicitors fee is around 3 to 4k per parcel.
    If you want the stamp duty exemption (and I presume you do) you will need an ag cert and will have to work on the farm for a period of 5 years filing tax returns for each year.
    transfer of entitlements is another pain in the ass, you'll need a solicitor or adviser to do that.

Good Lord. 3 to 4k per parcel !

Solicitors can be a problem alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Doesn't the green cert reduce the value of the farm to 10% of market value for inheritance tax purposes.
    A farm worth a million will have inheritance tax calculated on a value of 100k.

Just done the same, and I think your figures are miles out. Had six parcel numbers. Transfer of entitlements only needed a witnessed signature of either an ag consultant or a solicitor, no other input.

I'd agree that it's a monumental c#nt of a process and very stressful, made worse by the fact that you now need two teams of solicitors.

When you mean parcel is that fields?
    Just done the same, and I think your figures are miles out. Had six parcel numbers. Transfer of entitlements only needed a witnessed signature of either an ag consultant or a solicitor, no other input.

When you mean parcel is that fields?

Hi Rather,

No, blocks of land. They look like historical divisions from landlord times. Roughly in 10 - 20 acre blocks. All bar one of ours are together.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

Green cert is only for young trained farmer relief from stamp duty on a farm received as a gift, no stamp duty in inheritance (death). If you don't have it or your over 35 then stamp duty of 2% unless closely related to person gifting you the farm then you get reduced 1% rate.

Green cert, age etc makes no difference to agricultural relief from capital acquisition tax, that is purely an asset test, if over 80% of your assets are agricultural on date of transfer then value of farm reduced by 90%

• Advertisement

So if your land is divided by road and land commission your in trouble?
    Hi Rather,

No, blocks of land. They look like historical divisions from landlord times. Roughly in 10 - 20 acre blocks. All bar one of ours are together.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭newholland

Lots of incorrect info on this thread.

No stamp duty on inheritance.
    Soilicitors fees are very much up for negoiation. 3500 for 10-20 acres is a huge price.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

God you had it tough, had 5 separate folios here, all done and dusted within 3 months of first meeting with solicitor and was less than €3k all in. Was there missing folios with your transfer or anything to make it more complicated?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fixitagaintomo

I'd agree that it's a monumental c#nt of a process and very stressful, made worse by the fact that you now need two teams of solicitors.

land registration fee incl in that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

land registration fee incl in that
    Regardless of greencert,
    Inheritance tax for father or uncle is tax free for first 225k, at 33% after that. Any relation further out than that is tax free for first 20k (maybe 18k), at 33%after that. U wud wonder if they really liked u at all!
    There is a section 77 tax insurance that can be taken out also. . . . That conversation would be intresting!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

You should be able to get a tame solicitor to handle one side of the transfer. Someone your family solicitor knows and can deal with quickly and easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

I've just gone through a transfer involving 3 folios. You will need to pay an auctioneer to value it. 300. Solicitor was 1200 and tax can be kept low if you have a really good accountant. Some of the figures here seem rediculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Reading this thread its frightening the way some rely on your solicitor. It's your account who should do the bulk of the heavy lifting and the solicitor who looks after the transfer.

Never use an accountant for legal matters or a solicitor for accountancy/tax matters would be my advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP - this question is too broad for us to help you with here.
    With all the good intentions in the world we don't know your circumstances, details on the farm, liabilities, etc to give you the type of advice you need here.

A number of posters here have suggested you speak with a tax advisor or some other professional - that really is the best thing you should do, otherwise you run the very real risk of opening yourself up to huge liabilities.

Thanks, thread closed.
    Taltos

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement