Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VIN number (missing Z on V5 document)

Options
  • 11-04-2014 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

I recently brought in a mk1 golf from the UK and brought it up to the NCT center for registration. The VIN number on the plate in the engine bay had an extra Z compared to the VIN number on the v5 document. The guy explained that because of the discrepancy they would need to see an export document which I've applied for. A friend thought that the Z were like fillers/blanks on the vins, whatever that letter/digit was for didn't apply.

Anyways, I requested an amended export doc to match the engine plate so hopefully it will be sorted then. interested to hear if anyone's come across this or similar before.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

As far as I am aware, the Vin No. on the plate is not used to verify the car. They always use the Vin no. stamped on the BODY. Check the Vin No on the V5 against the Vin No. on the body, if they are different, then send photos of the Vin No. to D.V.L.A. and they will issue you with a certificate of export. There are 2 Ladies there, Estelle Williams or Leah Davies, both of whom I found very helpful when I had the similar problem. Their phone No. is 01792384284, I hope this helps & good luck with your purchase, and enjoy it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

A lot of old V5s tended to have truncated chassis/VIN numbers recorded (just the serial rather than the prefix). Some of this came out of the wash when MOT computerisation took place as there would be a mismatch between the vehicle record and what the MOT man had entered. However if the MOT man enters a matching VIN, nothing happens (and he may well of disregarded the extra Z if it wasn't on the shell or for some other reason)

MOT man bothers to enter VIN as appears in full on car + VIN on docs being different = Letter from DVLA about the discrepancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

For the record, a Z in a VAG cars' VIN is indeed a filler character, only there to pad out the VIN to the required 17 characters.

eg: WVWzzz17zDW554653, WVW = A Volkswagen, made in Germany, zzz = filler, 17 = body type 17 (see my username ;)), z = more filler, D = 1983 model year (made between Aug '82 and July '83), W = production plant (W = Wolfsburg), 554653 = serial number (the 554,653rd VW made in the 1983 model year)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭jonathan11

Cheers Type 17, found this nice website to decode my VIN:
    http://www.mk1vw.info/vin.php
    They mentioned the filler Zs also.
    Still waiting for my export document from the DVLA, hopefully will be sorted out soon. car also getting a new fan belt / alternator, some teething problems :(

Good link, but a small error - they say body type 17 is the Mk1 Golf including Cabriolet, but Cabriolets are type 15.

• Advertisement

So I eventually got the amended export cert from the DVLA, they are very slow :)
    So, onto the next step. The guy in the vrt/nct office says the vehicle has an X1 or X2 deprecation code so revenue will do a manual valuation. it says it typically says it takes 10 days. Any one have experience with this? Do all vintage cars go through this?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

If it's a MK1 surely it's no newer than '83 (i.e. more than 30 years old), and therefore only subject to the VRT 'vintage' fee of 200.

True, but forms have to be filled, and boxes ticked… how else could we say that those jobs were needed.

For the record, the last Mk1's were made around Feb/March '84, so there would be very few registered less than 30 years ago now.

All sorted, VRT was 200 as expected. :)
    The last step was just some extra checks they run to confirm the age of the car.

Advertisement