Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Throwing some strongman gear together

• 12-04-2014 12:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Been mad to get into Strongman for a while, but Bundoran aint exactly full of gyms with the necessary gear to get the ball rolling. Myself and a mate have got the ball rolling ourselves making and sourcing our own gear to mess about with, just thought I'd share this wee album of what we have so far.

http://imgur.com/a/kg811

A Super Yoke of some description will be made in the next week or two, then a big cross, or maybe shield type carry, as well as a better axel press, should be a bit of fun for the summer though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Make the axel from 50mm bar so it can be loaded with plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭smokey20

Ha ha great work - very innovative...... Can see that cement cross breaking in sh!t on impact with the ground tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

Mellor wrote: »
    Make the axel from 50mm bar so it can be loaded with plates.

Cant afford plates and want to be able to smash them off the concrete. Can get big land rover wheels for a tenner each from a breakers, will just make a wee flange to get them on whatever the size is.

smokey20 wrote: »
    Ha ha great work - very innovative...... Can see that cement cross breaking in sh!t on impact with the ground tho.

It's full of steel rods to try and prevent that, but it probably will, feck it, just make another :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Cant afford plates and want to be able to smash them off the concrete. Can get big land rover wheels for a tenner each from a breakers, will just make a wee flange to get them on whatever the size is.

Plates are a smaller diameter the wheels so only the tires hits the concrete.
    Even if plates are expensive, you could laid anything on if you extend the bar past the wheel

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Plates are a smaller diameter the wheels so only the tires hits the concrete.
    Even if plates are expensive, you could laid anything on if you extend the bar past the wheel

Ah, now I get ya. As it is we just have the wheels welded at the end, good idea, could just through on normal smaller wheels for instance, get them for nothing like, all about the benjamins!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kedrek1

Get yer hands on a beer keg great yoke .Can be filled up with water or sand some job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Farmers can be done cheap - two pieces of girder with a welded rebar handle and two pieces of upright to make it plate loadable. Mine are like that and are working out at 74KG each hand.

Kegs are great - mine so far have worked out at 60KG with water only and 80 & 90 with water and sand mix.

Going to do a few heavier with cement next.

Building a loading platform at the minute for those and my stones out of scaffolding.

Droo me a pm if you want pics of anything theres myself and another lad in Waterford doing similar but we've just shelled out for some of the harder kit like stones.

c - 13 wrote: »
    Farmers can be done cheap - two pieces of girder with a welded rebar handle and two pieces of upright to make it plate loadable. Mine are like that and are working out at 74KG each hand.

Kegs are great - mine so far have worked out at 60KG with water only and 80 & 90 with water and sand mix.

Going to do a few heavier with cement next.

Building a loading platform at the minute for those and my stones out of scaffolding.

Droo me a pm if you want pics of anything theres myself and another lad in Waterford doing similar but we've just shelled out for some of the harder kit like stones.

Aye we have a couple of trestles and were considering just throwing a few planks across for the loading stuff. How did you fill the keg with the sand mix out of interest? Slowly through the hole already in it, or did ya just cut another one for ease of access?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kedrek1

Well i used hammer and chisel to undo the orignal fitting and stuck a big nut to the orignal with tech 7.Works for me fairly easy to fill and empty with water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Aye we have a couple of trestles and were considering just throwing a few planks across for the loading stuff. How did you fill the keg with the sand mix out of interest? Slowly through the hole already in it, or did ya just cut another one for ease of access?

Tried to get the valves out with no success so drilled them near the connector, filled them up and resealed by hammering in a rubber bung and then sealing over with silicon. Seems to be holding up well so far.

Advertisement