Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance Rates

Options
  • 12-04-2014 3:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

Okay so here's the deal:

My girlfriend is about 6 months pregnant, both of us are on social welfare allowance so were entitled to rent allowance. The thing is in our area the maximum for a cohabiting couple with no children is about 390, but an increase to 500 for a couple with a child. Since she's pregnant would we be entitled to the rent allowance now since in 3 months the baby will be here, or if not entitled could we apply now since it can take a while. (Our rent is like 480 every 4 weeks) but is that how they do it or do they calculate it 120x52/12=520? And if it's just over the 500 are we entitled to anything?

PS: don't even bother to make a comment on how we're lazy couch leeches who should get a job and not suck the state dry, we both had jobs but we we were let off.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

You cannot claim increased rent allowance until the baby is born. They calculate it monthly, so you will have to renegotiate your rent to bring it in line.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Okay so here's the deal:

My girlfriend is about 6 months pregnant, both of us are on social welfare allowance so were entitled to rent allowance. The thing is in our area the maximum for a cohabiting couple with no children is about 390, but an increase to 500 for a couple with a child. Since she's pregnant would we be entitled to the rent allowance now since in 3 months the baby will be here, or if not entitled could we apply now since it can take a while. (Our rent is like 480 every 4 weeks) but is that how they do it or do they calculate it 120x52/12=520? And if it's just over the 500 are we entitled to anything?

PS: don't even bother to make a comment on how we're lazy couch leeches who should get a job and not suck the state dry, we both had jobs but we we were let off.

Thanks in advance!
    I won't say your a lazy leech. You were both let go and that's hard in your confidence.

However you have a kid in the way and your responsibilty to that kid is to give him/ her the possible life you can. So over the next three months you should be doing everything you possible can to get a job. This may in live upskilling and making yourself more employable, doing various courses. Walking from buisness to buisness with your CV. Etc

Now from such a low limit I gather that your in the countryside some where. And well we all know that some counties were hit quite hard during the recent down turn. May I suggest looking at moving to a different county like to a bugger city / employment hub. You'll probably be moving away from family who can support you with the baby however you'll be giving the kid a better future

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Op your probably better off asking in the state benefits forum ,
    You also realise you will have a minimum contribution of €40 pw once you's get RA,
    They definitely won't pay any extra till after your baby is born and registered

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gatling wrote: »
    Op your probably better off asking in the state benefits forum ,
    You also realise you will have a minimum contribution of €40 pw once you's get RA,
    They definitely won't pay any extra till after your baby is born and registered

minimum contribution i pay is E30 a week

not sure op if you are aleady on ra.

and of course not until after the birth.

and no you cannot rent above the listed maximum rental for your area

Graces7 wrote: »
    minimum contribution i pay is E30 a week

not sure op if you are aleady on ra.

and of course not until after the birth.

and no you cannot rent above the listed maximum rental for your area

Minimum contribution for a couple is € 40 pw

Before the last budget it was €35 pw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Minimum contribution for a couple is € 40 pw

Before the last budget it was €35 pw

Surely that is discriminating against single people who must pay €30? Couples should have to pay €60 with €10 extra per child.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Surely that is discriminating against single people who must pay €30? Couples should have to pay €60 with €10 extra per child.

So couples with kids should loose over a third of there income or more on a weekly basis
    Like that would work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

So couples with kids should loose over a third of there income or more on a weekly basis
    Like that would work
    Oh do a married/cohabiting couple only get a single rate payment? I thought they got extra because there was two people to support?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Oh do a married/cohabiting couple only get a single rate payment? I thought they got extra because there was two people to support?

You can have two separate payments which you will receive less rent allowance pm ,for us we would loose €60+pw because the two payment equals higher means ,
    Where if one become a qualified adult dependant you only €124 on top of the main claiments €188 pw you get an extra €60 give or take in rent allowance ,
    Slightly over complicated system , some will find it an advantage have a joint claim others dont like the idea of been less financially independent

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭olliesgirl55

OP I'd look into RAS in your area. This way you can get a decent rental to suit your family. Congrats on the baby:)

• Advertisement

OP I'd look into RAS in your area. This way you can get a decent rental to suit your family. Congrats on the baby:)

Not necessarily true , besides they need to be on RA /housing list 18 months first

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

RAS isn't for everyone and it isn't any easier to find a place with a Landlord willing to go ahead with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Not necessarily true , besides they need to be on RA /housing list 18 months first

You only need to be renting for a total of 6 months in private accommodation you don't need to be on the housing list for 18 months

You only need to be renting for a total of 6 months in private accommodation you don't need to be on the housing list for 18 months

For the Ras scheme you have to be in receipt of rent supplement for 18 months before you can apply ,

Your obviously thinking of rent supplement

For the Ras scheme you have to be in receipt of rent supplement for 18 months before you can apply ,

What do you mean? Isn't Rent Allowance the same as Rent Supplement?

fussyonion wrote: »
    What do you mean? Isn't Rent Allowance the same as Rent Supplement?

Its the new name for now ,

I said to get on the the Ras scheme run by local authorities you have to be in receipt of rent supplement for 18 months before you can apply ,

Ras scheme is totally different to rent supplement/allowance

Righteous... Well thanks for clearing that up! Would have been pretty embarrassing applying for the wrong thing

Its the new name for now ,

I said to get on the the Ras scheme run by local authorities you have to be in receipt of rent supplement for 18 months before you can apply ,

Ras scheme is totally different to rent supplement/allowance

Well now I'm confused... I'm not talking about RAS scheme I'm talking about applying for rent allowance! Can we stick to the topic at hand and not spiral into the other types of rent benefits... Thanks

Well now I'm confused... I'm not talking about RAS scheme I'm talking about applying for rent allowance! Can we stick to the topic at hand and not spiral into the other types of rent benefits... Thanks

Oh god seriously ,

I posted the correct information ,

Another poster recommend the Ras scheme which is run by local authorities ,which I said you the op would need to be claiming rent supplement for 18 months first ,

Most cwo's want both 6 months privately renting and been on the housing list before they issue rent supplement , It can vary depending on location for some reason ,

If your rent is €520 pm you wont get it if the maximum €500 the cwo will insist you find somewhere cheaper than the maximum for your location

Oh god seriously ,

Another poster recommend the Ras scheme which is run by local authorities ,which I said you the op would need to be claiming rent supplement for 18 months first ,

Most cwo's want both 6 months privately renting and been on the housing list before they issue rent supplement , It can vary depending on location for some reason ,

If your rent is €520 pm you wont get it if the maximum €500 the cwo will insist you find somewhere cheaper than the maximum for your location

Don't bother with the oh god stuff bud... I wasn't directing it toward you, I quoted you as the most recent post to mention RAS, I was speaking in general terms. And that's incorrect the DSPR or CWO will tell me to sort out the rent price with my current landlord, and if he's not willing to drop it, we can work something out from there, so I can give him his extra if he drops it on contract level that's all they care about.. Any extras I pay to him beyond that aren't taken into account when they calculate the rent.. They just want the actual household rent.. Other things that are charged in the monthly rent such as bins utilities etc are not taken into account... So we can tell them the house itself is 500 pm and the other 20 is for bins.. Moving somewhere cheaper isn't an option, as I said we're expecting a baby and all the other houses for under 500pm in wexford town are too small, and moving area isn't an option either because we're set up with doctors and hospital here, and moving out into say castle bridge won't work because I don't have a licence and I can't afford to insure a car because I'm a first time driver and the rates are horrendous... So that's the reason for the post.. But since posting I've found a bit more info on the subject (yay) and really just needed to know was there any way around it such as in my case the rent here is 20 euro about maximum can I apply and instead of paying 40 pay the other 20 as well.. Not to sound stupid, but the limits are way too low! Especially with the rental prices for a house with enough space for 2 people + a child!

• Advertisement

You're coming off a bit passive aggressive, OP.
    Gatling's just trying to help.

fussyonion wrote: »
    You're coming off a bit passive aggressive, OP.
    Gatling's just trying to help.

The internet makes it difficult to express how I'm really trying to talk... If you could hear my voice I'm as calm as Morgan Freeman.. See that sounds like sarcasm if you read it but spoken it's genuine... GENUINE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Folks can you leave the moderation to the mods. ...if you've an issue with a post then report it.

Morri

Folks can you leave the moderation to the mods. ...if you've an issue with a post then report it.

Morri

Can't think of a reason why it would need to be reported... I didn't say anything offensive, I just outlined the fact I wasn't aiming any comment towards Gatling..

Can't think of a reason why it would need to be reported... I didn't say anything offensive, I just outlined the fact I wasn't aiming any comment towards Gatling..

You're OK, Morri was talking to me.

Your rent supplement gets calculated as the following ,
    Your rent pm is say €500 ,
    Then your supplement comes in at €340 pm

500 subtract the minimum contribution from the two of you of €160 pm

Topping up your rent supplement can get awkward as you have to supply a copy of your lease to your cwo ,
    And if your rent increases in 12 months and or rent supplement gets cut again you will put yourself under unnecessary stress and pressure to make up rent,

Oh god seriously ,

they are wrong and if you challenge that they have to follow thr rules and not just make up their own version...learned that the hard way in cork when i had waited 7 months to get on the council list althoughi had been renting years...made a complaint to their superior and it was sorted

in kerry another version; when rent review came up they said that as i have been renting here 6 months i needed now to be on the housing list. i have said no and nothing they can do. cwos do not make the rules; see the citizenz info site for exact rules

Graces7 wrote: »
    they are wrong and if you challenge that they have to follow thr rules and not just make up their own version...learned that the hard way in cork when i had waited 7 months to get on the council list althoughi had been renting years...made a complaint to their superior and it was sorted

in kerry another version; when rent review came up they said that as i have been renting here 6 months i needed now to be on the housing list. i have said no and nothing they can do. cwos do not make the rules; see the citizenz info site for exact rules

How long ago was this,( if you don't mind me asking)

And in 8 months when you receive a rent review your asked to supply proof your on the local authority housing list and failing to send that proof your supplement can and will be stopped till you supply proof

How long ago was this,( if you don't mind me asking)

And in 8 months when you receive a rent review your asked to supply proof your on the local authority housing list and failing to send that proof your supplement can and will be stopped till you supply proof

the first instance was cork, i think 2 1/2 years ago also;the cwo had been insistent that i had to be on the list before ra but i met a complaints officer at a craft fair and she told me the cwo was wrong so i went above her head successfully

yes i had the letter you refer to around the time you did asking for that and three month bank statement. the wording was interesting, that the letter from the council that i am on the housing list was needed AS YOU HAVE BEEN RENTING FOR SIX MONTHS

but that is not if you look at eg citizen;s info what the rules say. i sent the bank statements and said i had not heard from the council and heard no more and my ra continued.

i will check this but as they were wrong in cork maybe so in kerry; i don''t think they can change the basic rules like this. have heard similar stories from cork since but it took 7 months to get it through there and had i known sooner would have challenged it then

• Advertisement
Advertisement