Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ah jaysis [TV3 secures RWC rights]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Hoping for TG4, were ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Hoping for TG4, were ya?

Would be preferable to TV3 anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

KevIRL wrote: »

The Food Network would be preferable to TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

BBC it is so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Excuse my ignorance, but what's wrong with TV3 for rugby??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

They have better have a HD service by 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

molloyjh wrote: »
    BBC it is so.

ITV you mean and their excellent rugby pedigree.

Seriously why does this always happen. Broadcasters who show no interest in rugby the rest of the time getting the rights for the biggest tournament of all. Obviously it's money but the IRB must realise the coverage is terrible.

molloyjh wrote: »
    BBC it is so.

ITV have the UK rights. And they're pretty crap too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Never mind HD, they could be set up in my living room and theyd still be sh1te.

2007 world cup was a bad experience made 10 times worse by Matt Coopers excrutiating presenting and breathtaking Munster bias, which judging by his radio show he has not altered.

TV3 are a p1ss poor station with no facilities and awful quality control. Their sport coverage generally is pathetic. I can just imagine they have spent so much buying the rights that they have nothing left for the production and itll be the World Cup with Martin and Lucy with punditry by Aidan Cooney and Paddy Mulligan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but what's wrong with TV3 for rugby??

http://youtu.be/ss1caml4RLY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Does that mean George Hook will be retiring sooner?
    Silver linings etc :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Much of an outcry in the rugby obsessed media about having to pay 2 subscriptions next year to watch the Heineken cup or is all that ire saved for one sporting organisation?

Heroditas wrote: »
    Does that mean George Hook will be retiring sooner?
    Silver linings etc :D

Ha good point! The best laid plans of mice and blustering gobsheens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Much of an outcry in the rugby obsessed media about having to pay 2 subscriptions next year to watch the Heineken cup or is all that ire saved for one sporting organisation?

This old nugget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

TV3 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

What sums it up is that I new exactly what the Thread Title and OP was referring to immediately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Hopefully their online streaming will have improved by then. I relied on online watching during the last World Cup and the rte streaming is miles ahead of the tv3 one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

ITV have the UK rights. And they're pretty crap too.

They'll also likely to be no longer available on cable from the start of next year once UTV Ireland comes along. You'll still be able to get them on Freesat of course, but a dish isn't an option for some people.

That said I've usually been satisfied with ITV's coverage in the past, they've usually come to an agreement with BSkyB to "borrow" large chunks of their rugby team to cover the tournament including Harrisson and Barnes. Might be different now that ITV have a standing rugby union team due to having Premiership Rugby and LV Cup highlights.

As for TV3, I don't know where they intend to find the resources or the schedule space, to give this tournament the coverage it deserves. And even if they do they will be driving their regular viewers away for an audience that won't stay with the channel once the tournaments over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

icdg wrote: »

As for TV3, I don't know where they intend to find the resources or the schedule space, to give this tournament the coverage it deserves. And even if they do they will be driving their regular viewers away for an audience that won't stay with the channel once the tournaments over.

TV3 E

*shudder*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

TV3 E

*shudder*

I just got sick into my own face

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Tv3 just let a load of people go, they might not be in business come 2015...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Matt Cooper presenting rugby.... I can't go back there. Won't even be in HD at this rate. You just know a back arsed job will be done by them and will be coverage stuck back in the dark ages compared to what we get these days.

ITV here I come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

That's a big win for them, they needed to pull something out of the hat. A crushing blow to RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Rightwing wrote: »
    That's a big win for them, they needed to pull something out of the hat. A crushing blow to RTE.

In what sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭trancemuzic

Thank god we wont have to listen to Hook, Popey and that condescending knob head Mcguirk anyway ðŸ˜

Thank god we wont have to listen to Hook, Popey and that condescending knob head Mcguirk anyway ðŸ˜

Yeah, I've no problem with them losing it. No knowledgeable supporter could listen to them waffling and backtracking at half time. Apart from Conor O Shea of course.

Rightwing wrote: »
    Yeah, I've no problem with them losing it. No knowledgeable supporter could listen to them waffling and backtracking at half time. Apart from Conor O Shea of course.

Lose ROG and Horgan too who are more than worth the TV license

wprathead wrote: »
    I just got sick into my own face

Jesus! I've got sick into my mouth before but your own face?! Guess it shows the depth of feeling.

Hopefully TV3 will get some old Setanta heads involved like Williams, Francis or Emmet Byrne. And keep Matt f**king Cooper a million miles away from it.

its_phil wrote: »
    Lose ROG and Horgan too who are more than worth the TV license

Not so sure about ROG, Horgan is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭trancemuzic

Jesus! I've got sick into my mouth before but your own face?! Guess it shows the depth of feeling.

Hopefully TV3 will get some old Setanta heads involved like Williams, Francis or Emmet Byrne. And keep Matt f**king Cooper a million miles away from it.

oh please god no , don't do that to us

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I8o9KyFxppY

Neil Francis is a man stuck in the dark ages personally and rugby wise. Keep him a million miles away, I don't want to see his pompous mug anyway near a TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Berticus

Sure it just means you'll actually have to go to the games to avoid the tv3 coverage!

Have to say I enjoy the rte coverage myself though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

who had rights to the 2011 world cup?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I'd just like to thank RTE for beong utterly ****. I'm now going to have to actually GO to the world cup to avoid being subjected to TV3. Every dark cloud has a silver lining.

THANKS LADS!

its_phil wrote: »
    Neil Francis is a man stuck in the dark ages personally and rugby wise. Keep him a million miles away, I don't want to see his pompous mug anyway near a TV.

Indeed, that would be some own goal from TV3

• Advertisement

who had rights to the 2011 world cup?

RTE

Setanta had them in 07 but the Ireland games were on TV3 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Just watch ITV instead - available on Freesat or via 'other channels' on Sky (pain for recording though) or via an aerial if you can pick signal up from either NI or Wales.

dregin wrote: »
    I'd just like to thank RTE for beong utterly ****. I'm now going to have to actually GO to the world cup to avoid being subjected to TV3. Every dark cloud has a silver lining.

THANKS LADS!

Yeah just remembered I was thinking of going to the World Cup. No harm done so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Just watch ITV instead - available on Freesat or via 'other channels' on Sky (pain for recording though) or via an aerial if you can pick signal up from either NI or Wales.

Supporters want a channel with indepth coverage of the home side, not Lancasters cheerleaders, heck theyll probably roll out Jim Rosenthal.

Oh crap, I just remembered. Sinead Kissane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Gonna be heading over to see as many games as possible anyway. But tbh I have no issue with why a broadcaster with little or no rugby background can air this. Why not? Everyone should get a fair stab at these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

The quality of the picture they actually transmit should have ruled them out in the first place. It's awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

maybe for the 5% that can truly understand

in fairness, RTE would be head & shoulders better than any other Irish broadcaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

How the hell did TV3 manage to get this? It leaves George Hook in a tricky position (snigger snigger). My first reaction was to think I would watch it on BBC, but then I realised it would be ITV......hmmmm. Anyway, great thread title!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The picture quality on TV3 is horrendous even for standard definition let alone HD. It's like there's a jar of vaseline smeared across the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Kayless

ITV HD it is so.

I understand the concept behind TV3 but considering only a very small number of people in Ireland actually speak Irish I see this as a waste of money on their behalf.

From time to time I watch the odd Pro-12 game on TV3 and that is just about bearable when for example they get Flannery on and he speaks in English.

To be fair I wish I could understand Irish and that more people spoke it but I don't see things changing on that front between now and the RWC so again, a bit of a waste.

And what on earth are RTE doing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Kayless wrote: »
    ITV HD it is so.

I understand the concept behind TV3 but considering only a very small number of people in Ireland actually speak Irish I see this as a waste of money on their behalf.

From time to time I watch the odd Pro-12 game on TV3 and that is just about bearable when for example they get Flannery on and he speaks in English.

To be fair I wish I could understand Irish and that more people spoke it but I don't see things changing on that front between now and the RWC so again, a bit of a waste.

And what on earth are RTE doing!!

What are you talking about? TV3 isn't an Irish speaking station, that's TG4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

TV3 not TG4:rolleyes:

Oh dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

TG4 should've gotten the rights so we could have months of people complaining about not understanding the language.

• Advertisement
Advertisement