Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ah jaysis [TV3 secures RWC rights]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

TG4 should've gotten the rights so we could have months of people complaining about not understanding the language.

But TG4 do have some pluses. Maire Treasa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

OldRio wrote: »

That they do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

TG4-HD with red button English audio (like S4C in Wales) would have been a great option.

TV3 have terrible picture quality, no HD, terrible sound, Terrible blue screen set (who gets access to the broadcasting booth in the Aviva??), terrible rugby presenting history, are giving some non-irish games to Setanta (so now the world cup is not FTA) and have terrible streaming capacity.

given the financial trouble that they have, at the moment, I can not see any of the above changing by WC time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Won't miss Hook or Pope. Will miss Horgan, ROG, Quinlan and O'Shea.
    Who were the pundits for TV3 last time round?
    Tried to forget the 07 World cup actually happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

RTE were good at the montages and stuff but the analysis wasnt anything to shout about most games as they nearly always stuck with Hook and Pope. RTE are also pretty unreliable when it comes to quality of service.

Hopefully TV3 can get a couple decent heads in like O'Sullivan and Jackman so it wont be that much different even if its not fantastic.

Only thing that annoys me is no HD. The giving away of games to Setanta is a bit odd too if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭thirteen.

Hopefully a few of ROG, Horgan, O'Shea, EOS and Jackman get involved with TV3 for the RWC. I assumed that RTE were broadening there pundit line up over the last yr because of the RWC and to compete with Sky for the Rabo, but obviously not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Who are the rugby pundits on TV3?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Grimebox wrote: »

matt cooper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Trevor Brennan too IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Grimebox wrote: »

They don't have any, it's 6 1/2 years since they last broadcast a live game of rugby.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Doesn't franno assist there quite often?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

And in breaking news, TV3 has announced their lineup

7894171678_5e76c380b0.jpg
    Maire Treasa

000571c1-180.jpg
    Joanne Cantwell

les-competences-et-le-charme-d-isabelle-ithurburu-font_961258_193x290p.jpg
    Isabelle Ithurburu

newideamegan1_430_1825urc-1825urh.jpg
    Meghan Mutrie

Even without HD that might tempt me over from ITV :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭thirteen.

If Isabelle Ithurburu worked for TG4 no one would be complaining about the language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

When it was on TV3 before, didn't they only show games involving Ireland, the semis, and the final? I seem to recall this was the case.

When it was on TV3 before, didn't they only show games involving Ireland, the semis, and the final? I seem to recall this was the case.

And the opener and two quarter finals, yes. The Times article is incorrect (paper of record gets facts wrong shocker!). In fact it was Setanta that were the Irish primary rights holder but as in 2011, a package of games had to be sold to a terrestrial station in order to comply with the Government's listing of all of Ireland's games in the tournament. (The situation is different in the Football World Cup by the way, where all games are listed, not just the Republic of Ireland's).

This time it appears TV3 have the lot, though the IRB have yet to officially announce it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Am I one of the few who couldn't care less as long as it's on free to air? When rugby is on RTE, we all complain continually about the standard of coverage. We constantly hear people giving out about GH and co. and George Hamilton's commentary in the England vs Italy game was probably the worst I can recall in a match. I think he must have actually had "Lawes Black, Launchbury white" written in front of him as any white guy that took a line out was automatically Launchbury.

As long as we get to see it, I'm happy enough.

But not all games will be free to air now. Setanta will get several games, as TV3 will not show them all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

But not all games will be free to air now. Setanta will get several games, as TV3 will not show them all

Is setanta Ireland not fta?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Pudsy33 wrote: »

Don't think so.

Pudsy33 wrote: »

No, it is free to UPC subscribers (as part of the basic package) only

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

But all the major games will be FTA, so Ireland's pool games, probably those involving England, France, NZ etc etc and the knockout games will be available to everyone.

If the cost of the above is that Samoa v Japan is only on Setanta, then I can very much live with that.

Some of the "lower" games are often the best to watch, get teams like Samoa or Fiji playing their all or nothing style and they can be thrilling.

Also, only the Ireland games are dictated as FTA. Once they get people used to games being on a paid channel, what's to stop them putting the English, French, Aus, SA and NZ matches as paid alternatives?
    May or may not happen this time but horrible precedents set

Buer wrote: »
    Am I one of the few who couldn't care less as long as it's on free to air? When rugby is on RTE, we all complain continually about the standard of coverage. We constantly hear people giving out about GH and co. and George Hamilton's commentary in the England vs Italy game was probably the worst I can recall in a match. I think he must have actually had "Lawes Black, Launchbury white" written in front of him as any white guy that took a line out was automatically Launchbury.

As long as we get to see it, I'm happy enough.

It seems your first sentence is incorrect. It is not FTA.
    As for your last? Have you tried to watch sport on TV3?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

More concerned about ITV getting it over BBC really.

ITV may not be available in Ireland by that time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

TV3 need to import the Canal + team of Isabelle and Astrid!

It seems your first sentence is incorrect. It is not FTA.
    As for your last? Have you tried to watch sport on TV3?

?? TV3 is FTA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This TV3 coverage isnt confirmed yet.

Still time to email the IRB and tell them they dont do HD and no one likes their crappy sports presentation

You guys are looking at this the wrong way. Just another great reason to get the holiday requests in now and save a few bob to go over and watch all the games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    You guys are looking at this the wrong way. Just another great reason to get the holiday requests in now and save a few bob to go over and watch all the games.

You have seen the ticket prices right!?

molloyjh wrote: »
    You have seen the ticket prices right!?

They're not the end of the world if you go for the lower tier tickets. Also, it's a once in a life time opportunity that the RWC will be in our back garden (unless we actually win a bid)

?? TV3 is FTA.

It is but some of the rugby will not (setanta)

It is but some of the rugby will not (setanta)

At this stage there's been no mention, apart from some speculation in the Times based on a misunderstanding of why TV3 and Setanta shared coverage in 2007, of Setanta having any rights to the 2015 tournament. That's not to say it won't happen but there's nothing to say it will either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They're not the end of the world if you go for the lower tier tickets. Also, it's a once in a life time opportunity that the RWC will be in our back garden (unless we actually win a bid)

The cheapest ticket for Ireland against effin Romania in Wembley is £125. There is not the slightest iota of a chance I'm going to any of the games at those extortionate prices.

Wait...no it isn't. I totally read them wrong. I was reading the 50 quid ones as only for children. That's not so bad - will be ****e seats mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Who are the southern hemisphere broadcasters?

It was Sky NZ in New Zealand last time at any rate, their trademark rugby graphics were used, TVNZ I think were sold rights to some games in a similar arrangement to here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Not exactly once in a lifetime, it's been in Europe 4 times and seems to alternate South/North.

Not exactly once in a lifetime, it's been in Europe 4 times and seems to alternate South/North.

Ah yeah but you know what I mean. I'll be an aul fella the next time it's this close to home. It's much cheaper to fly to England and get around then France for example.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah but you know what I mean. I'll be an aul fella the next time it's this close to home. It's much cheaper to fly to England and get around then France for example.

Not confident about Ireland's bid for 2023 then?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

You do realise that the airlines will screw us that month on every flight into the UK don't you? It's like a HEC final travel wise every weekend for at least 4 weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

TV3 confirmed as having all matches.

However: The broadcaster will broadcast about 20 matches on TV3 and the remainder on 3e although TV3 has not ruled out some sub-licences to other Irish broadcasters. Announcements regarding studio, commentary and touchline broadcast teams will be made in due course, the station said.

You do realise that the airlines will screw us that month on every flight into the UK don't you? It's like a HEC final travel wise every weekend for at least 4 weeks.

There's always a way. Also Airlines don't fix their prices, it's done on actual demand. But yes, the prices will soar because of this.

Van, few lads, ferry, road trip could be on the cards.

Not confident about Ireland's bid for 2023 then?

Ha I did mention that in my comment above. I'd love for it to happen, but it's probably not very realistic... Fingers crossed though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

http://cce.gno.ie/news/2014/04APR/15rwctv3hd.php#.U00MqQQH-Uo.twitter

I've no idea how believable the above link is but it does say that TV3 HD will be up by mid-2015. Don't they have some fancy new Sony HD Studio already so hopefully that's achievable.

http://www.tv3.ie/studios/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

"TV3 plays a major role in the promotion of sport in Ireland and we are excited by the station’s innovative plans to broadcast Rugby World Cup 2015."

How? Champs league but nothing else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

ITV and TV3 are you ****ing kidding me? They don't have a clue how to cover rugby and any pundits and commentators they get will obviously be third tier as all the others are locked into superior channels like BBC and RTE

What a ****ing joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

On the plus side, its good for rugby that different channels seeking to bid for and secure key rugby events. Competitive tension will increase prices which increases overall basket to be distributed to the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Meh, If I don;t have to listen to Ryle nugent or George Hook..its a positive,. Could be worse.

Honestly couldn't care less about the coverage. Didn't really expect a reaction like this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement