Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ah jaysis [TV3 secures RWC rights]

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    "TV3 plays a major role in the promotion of sport in Ireland and we are excited by the station’s innovative plans to broadcast Rugby World Cup 2015."

How? Champs league but nothing else?

I wonder if they might bid for the terrestrial Pro12 package? We all assume that it'll just naturally go to TG4, but if they want to increase their sports coverage......

vkid wrote: »
    Meh, If I don;t have to listen to Ryle nugent or George Hook..its a positive,. Could be worse.

I'm the same. I watch the 6N and AIs on the BBC so i can avoid them.
    .ak wrote: »
    Honestly couldn't care less about the coverage. Didn't really expect a reaction like this.

Have to agree with you there. We have no idea who'll they'll have presenting / commentating, but they can't be any worse than McGurk / Nugent. Once their HD is up and running I'll be happy enough.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Honestly couldn't care less about the coverage. Didn't really expect a reaction like this.

the ONLY issue i would have is that whoever commentates knows the bloody game and its laws. I don't know who TV3s usual rugby commentators are so i cant comment.... but theres nothing as frustrating as a commentator spouting off when they clearly dont know the laws of the game.

see George Hamilton and rugby games for prime example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

VinLieger wrote: »
    ITV and TV3 are you ****ing kidding me? They don't have a clue how to cover rugby and any pundits and commentators they get will obviously be third tier as all the others are locked into superior channels like BBC and RTE

What a ****ing joke

Don't know about TV3 but ITV usually just borrow the Sky team for the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

sydthebeat wrote: »
    the ONLY issue i would have is that whoever commentates knows the bloody game and its laws. I don't know who TV3s usual rugby commentators are so i cant comment.... but theres nothing as frustrating as a commentator spouting off when they clearly dont know the laws of the game.

Don't care about that either. I don't need some presenter to tell me the rules of the game. I generally am either shouting at the TV or in the pub and can't hear it anyway. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

sydthebeat wrote: »

No such thing as they haven't presented a rugby game for what will be 8 years by the time RWC comes around.

However this is the most likely line up

Studio anchorage:

exam07102013martinkinglucykennedy_large.jpg

Punditry:

NWS_20130724_New_008_28347540_I3.JPGsinead-kissane.jpgTrevor2.jpg

Sideline reporting:

alan_hughes_1.png

Highlights package voiceover

stars.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Larbre34 wrote: »
    No such thing as they haven't presented a rugby game for what will be 8 years by the time RWC comes around.

However this is the most likely line up

Studio anchorage:

exam07102013martinkinglucykennedy_large.jpg

Punditry:

NWS_20130724_New_008_28347540_I3.JPGsinead-kissane.jpgTrevor2.jpg

Sideline reporting:

alan_hughes_1.png

Highlights package voiceover

stars.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Commentators are important IMO. Couldn't really care less about the studio panel, though - I barely ever watch it. Would miss ROG & Horgan I must say, great duo those two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

In fairness to her Lucy Kennedy was once considered the next Alan Quinlan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

I'm not that bothered by the analysts. The lack of HD and the overall production values are whats pissing me off. RTE generally put on a good show for these big events.
    Watching the champisions league on TV3 feels like you're watching the Europa league. No sense of occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

Thomas D wrote: »
    I'm not that bothered by the analysts. The lack of HD and the overall production values are whats pissing me off. RTE generally put on a good show for these big events.
    Watching the champisions league on TV3 feels like you're watching the Europa league. No sense of occasion.

http://www.tv3.ie/entertainment_article.php?locID=1.803.813&article=131882

For what it's worth

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If the RWC follows regular TV3 programs it will be presented by Travellers with analysis by underworld criminals and smugglers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If the RWC follows regular TV3 programs it will be presented by Travellers with analysis by underworld criminals and smugglers.

Neil Francis double jobbing so?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Can you imagine Martin King as the presenter and Francis doing the analysis!!!

The original odd couple :D

No thanks. I really don't like that guy he's just the laziest possible pundit you could find...and probably doesn't give a shiit about it either.

So, according to themselves TV3 have the "most advanced HD infrastructure in Ireland", yet they are in discussions with the platform operators to carry it "from mid-2015". So do they or dont they, or do just their staff get to see it? Sorry TV3, all I smell is your BS.

And, you may notice, this article is being carried on the Xposé webpage, not the Sport page, which tells you all you need to know about where this is going....

Frankly Joe Schmidt and Sean O'Brien shouldnt be encouraging them.

BOD was encouraging TV3 Expose staff a long time ago :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Won't everyone be watching ITV anyway?

Can only assume their coverage will be pretty darn good as they will be the host broadcaster.

Eircom eVision, Sky (I think), and Saorview don't have ITV/UTV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

You can get ITV via manual tuning on Sky.

UTV in its present form will be almost certainly gone from UPC too once its Irish service (which won't be able to carry ITV Sport programmes for which it doesn't have the rights) commences in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

icdg wrote: »
    You can get ITV via manual tuning on Sky.

UTV in its present form will be almost certainly gone from UPC too once its Irish service (which won't be able to carry ITV Sport programmes for which it doesn't have the rights) commences in January.

The other channels thing is a bit crap though as you cant record or pause it.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    BOD was encouraging TV3 Expose staff a long time ago :P

Ah, go maith! I see who he did there;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/tv3-plans-high-definition-rugby-world-cup-1.1763221

So TV3 are planning to have HD transmission capability up and running by the time the RWC rolls around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Rightwing wrote: »
    That's a big win for them, they needed to pull something out of the hat. A crushing blow to RTE.

You think rte care? They are getting all the money from the broadcasting tax cough cough I mean charge. The don't need the wc

twinytwo wrote: »
    You think rte care? They are getting all the money from the broadcasting tax cough cough I mean charge. The don't need the wc

Id say they do care, apart from having that air of 'National Broadcaster' about them, these events justify retaining the services of all the pundits and commentators, and it adds to their experience and technical expertise, you need a certain continuity to maintain quality and in fairness they do deliver a decent product as regards test level rugby.

• Advertisement

So, according to themselves TV3 have the "most advanced HD infrastructure in Ireland", yet they are in discussions with the platform operators to carry it "from mid-2015". So do they or dont they, or do just their staff get to see it? Sorry TV3, all I smell is your BS.

And, you may notice, this article is being carried on the Xposé webpage, not the Sport page, which tells you all you need to know about where this is going....

Frankly Joe Schmidt and Sean O'Brien shouldnt be encouraging them.

They can start broadcasting HD any time they want, but the vast majority of us get our TV though Sky / UPC and they have to negotiate with these providers to get their HD channels onto these platforms. RTE1 has been broadcasting in HD since before Christmas, but still isn't available on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Oh no not paul wallace again, definitely sticking to itv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

The other channels thing is a bit crap though as you cant record or pause it.

You can manually record onto an external device e.g. VCR/PVR i.e. tune into ITV channel on your Sky box and link the box via scart to VCR/PVR and manually record from VCR/PVR. However you cannot use SKY + facilities to record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

You can manually record onto an external device e.g. VCR/PVR i.e. tune into ITV channel on your Sky box and link the box via scart to VCR/PVR and manually record from VCR/PVR. However you cannot use SKY + facilities to record.

Sorry state of affairs if I have to dig out a VCR to record a match.

Hopefully TV3 shows all games and has HD up and running. I might switch to ITV for the analysis if TV3 doesn't have a great panel though. But I'd prefer to be able record and pause and stuff when watching the actual game.

TBH, if RWC inc or whatever offers a paid but high quality and reliable internet stream I'd go with that. Don't have a TV, so everything I watch (incl RTE) is via the net. Suspect that such options though will only be available in non-rugby countries.

• Advertisement

Does RWC2015 have a 'host' broadcaster or are IRB contracting in their own infrastructure and releasing the feeds to the successful bidders then?

Does RWC2015 have a 'host' broadcaster or are IRB contracting in their own infrastructure and releasing the feeds to the successful bidders then?

I think the TV3 guy said on Newstalk that ITV were the host broadcaster and that they would take their feeds and some commentary from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think the TV3 guy said on Newstalk that ITV were the host broadcaster and that they would take their feeds and some commentary from them.

I think its this cheap as chips attitude from TV3 that pisses me off most about them. Obviously the feed will come from the host broadcaster but no reason why they can't send a commentary team to every game. Its seems once they have the rights that all they are immediately thinking about is how to do the actual broadcast for the minimum spend.

Like with their Champions League coverage - they outbid RTE for the Tuesday night games but then spoil it by doing studio based commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

I think its this cheap as chips attitude from TV3 that pisses me off most about them. Obviously the feed will come from the host broadcaster but no reason why they can't send a commentary team to every game. Its seems once they have the rights that all they are immediately thinking about is how to do the actual broadcast for the minimum spend.

Like with their Champions League coverage - they outbid RTE for the Tuesday night games but then spoil it by doing studio based commentary.

As proved by the custard cream incident last week, they do actually send a commentator to the match. Although they also use him for the after match interviews!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

As proved by the custard cream incident last week, they do actually send a commentator to the match. Although they also use him for the after match interviews!

I think they only send a commentator for knockout ties taking place in England - group games and 'foreign' games are studio based.
    I'm definitely open to being wrong though, could be my innate bias against them!

I think they only send a commentator for knockout ties taking place in England - group games and 'foreign' games are studio based.
    I'm definitely open to being wrong though, could be my innate bias against them!

Believe me I don't disagree with you about the standard of their coverage. I always watch Tuesday night CL on ITV or Sky. As for their Europa League coverage on 3E........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/tv3-plans-high-definition-rugby-world-cup-1.1763221

So TV3 are planning to have HD transmission capability up and running by the time the RWC rolls around.

Meh. TV3's standard definition picture is awful. No doubt their HD will still manage to look cheap as well. If they ever manage to get around to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

As predicted, Matt Cooper has been named as tv3 anchor for the rwc.

I'm not a fan of him at all. Hopefully he'll tone it down a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Ugh. Hopefully he'll manage to back the entire Irish XV/XXIII.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Was listening to Newstalk this morning, apparently TV3 are planning to have HD rolled out prior to the World Cup in 2015. Whether or not they actually manage it ... but allegedly, plan is for early 2015.

His way of carrying on wont ever change. What a backward appointment. Although we are talking about backward coverage on a backward channel, so probably spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

****ing Cooper. So when Ireland beat the All-Blacks in a heart-stopping final where victory was secured with an injury time penalty from the touchline...

... the panel will spend most of the post game discussing why David Kilcoyne wasn't picked on the bench instead of Jack McGrath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I am oblivious to most of these pundits. I think its best if I unfollow this thread and make up my own opinions come the RWC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Was listening to Newstalk this morning, apparently TV3 are planning to have HD rolled out prior to the World Cup in 2015. Whether or not they actually manage it ... but allegedly, plan is for early 2015.

Newstalk carried an interview with Niall Cogley after they secured the rights and he assured the public that HD would be in place for the World Cup.
    Neil3030 wrote: »
    ****ing Cooper. So when Ireland beat the All-Blacks in a heart-stopping final where victory was secured with an injury time penalty from the touchline...

... the panel will spend most of the post game discussing why David Kilcoyne wasn't picked on the bench instead of Jack McGrath.

Ah here, leave it out. Most of the criticism of Cooper seems to be because of a perceived Munster bias, leaving out the fact that he is a good broadcaster who fires off a lot of questions.

I'm as skeptical as most of ye when it comes to TV3 but I wouldn't be chasing fault with the anchor. They are more likely to fall down with their production values and lack of analysis. Also that female reporter they use has a voice like nails on a blackboard.

Grimebox wrote: »
    I am oblivious to most of these pundits. I think its best if I unfollow this thread and make up my own opinions come the RWC

How enigmatic of you.

Some of us care about how the game is presented and analysed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

How enigmatic of you.

Some of us care about how the game is presented and analysed.

As do I, but there is no benefit in me believing these pundits are woeful before I have even seen them. I'll just be looking for reasons to hate them in that case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

we have seen cooper et al in action though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Grimebox wrote: »
    As do I, but there is no benefit in me believing these pundits are woeful before I have even seen them. I'll just be looking for reasons to hate them in that case

Cooper does a rugby slot on his radio show and was the host for Setanta or TV3 at the last RWC (or possibly 2007, can't remember exactly, point is he's been here before), so we do know exactly what to expect. I guess he can say whatever he likes on his own radio show but hopefully he'll tone it down for the TV coverage.

Advertisement