Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ah jaysis [TV3 secures RWC rights]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Aidric wrote: »
    Ah here, leave it out. Most of the criticism of Cooper seems to be because of a perceived Munster bias, leaving out the fact that he is a good broadcaster who fires off a lot of questions.

I'm as skeptical as most of ye when it comes to TV3 but I wouldn't be chasing fault with the anchor. They are more likely to fall down with their production values and lack of analysis. Also that female reporter they use has a voice like nails on a blackboard.

He is an excellent current affairs broadcaster, but rugby is the one area he can't seem to reign in his biases for whatever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Neil3030 wrote: »
    He is an excellent current affairs broadcaster, but rugby is the one area he can't seem to reign in his biases for whatever reason.

I would disagree strongly, he is ignorant and subjective. And bring reduced to a column in the "Irish" Daily Mail hardly reflects well.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I would disagree strongly, he is ignorant and subjective. And bring reduced to a column in the "Irish" Daily Mail hardly reflects well.

completely disagree

hes hard hitting when needs be, he gives fair time to both sides, and he is sensitive to issues when required too.
    Hes an excellent current affairs broadcaster.

On the rugby, hell i dont mind if he is a bit munster biased... gives us something to complain about... and if he has Jackman or Franno etc sitting opposite he'll be well reigned in ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

sydthebeat wrote: »
    completely disagree

hes hard hitting when needs be, he gives fair time to both sides, and he is sensitive to issues when required too.
    Hes an excellent current affairs broadcaster.

On the rugby, hell i dont mind if he is a bit munster biased... gives us something to complain about... and if he has Jackman or Franno etc sitting opposite he'll be well reigned in ;)

Not Franno! Jeez, the horror... :eek: :mad: :mad:

I'll be watching with the sound turned down and Michael Corcoran on the radio...

According to the dusty archives, TV3s 2007 panellists included:

Paul Wallace, Trevor Brennan, Jim Glennon, Michael Cheika, Jim Williams and Victor Costello.

They'll certainly have to do better than that.

Coopers radio pundits currently do include, Wallace, Franno, Quinlan, perhaps Corkery and others.

Lads like Quinlan and Horgan have no particular allegiance, Id imagine theyll feature. Conor O'Shea is the biggest loss associated with the coverage going to TV3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Was David Humphreys on it too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Cooper was the man who in 2009 said that Kevin McLaughlin shouldn't be playing for Leinster because he was in the RTE choir and went to Gonzaga. Ignorant, ignorant man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Mentioned on another thread but this is great news - TV3 will be in HD for the RWC.

http://www.tv3.ie/rwc2015_article/12/TV3-confirms-exclusive-Rugby-World-Cup-coverage

Some decent pundits in there too. Shane Jennings wasn't long getting his first post-retirement gig.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Mattie's back

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Good to see every match will be on FTA, but Setanta's coverage of the last RWC was excellent.

One thing I notice though, they say HD will be on UPC and Sky. What about Saorview?!

• Advertisement

Good to see every match will be on FTA, but Setanta's coverage of the last RWC was excellent.

One thing I notice though, they say HD will be on UPC and Sky. What about Saorview?!

Unlikely I'd say, TG4 has been in HD on UPC for yonks now and no sign of it being expanded to Saorview. I think the costs associated with it are quite high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Only problem I've with this is Stuart Barnes /facepalm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Unlikely I'd say, TG4 has been in HD on UPC for yonks now and no sign of it being expanded to Saorview. I think the costs associated with it are quite high.

ffs, TV3's SD quality is atrocious too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Was very excited about all those names and then the final one came up..... Matt Cooper...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Does TV3 live player stream in HD?

ffs, TV3's SD quality is atrocious too.

Yep, totally spoils my enjoyment of Exposé.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Two best things from that: TV3 are broadcasting in HD and Murray Kinsella as a pundit. Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Teferi wrote: »
    Two best things from that: TV3 are broadcasting in HD and Murray Kinsella as a pundit. Good stuff.

Agreed. Really hope he can translate well from print to TV

Not an easy thing to do though.

In his articles he can take as long as he wants to discuss stuff but on air he may only get a min tops so he won't be able to go into it in much detail.

I can see him getting the in game technical analysis slot which isn't usually great, similar to the ones Dean Ryan did for Sky and Mark McDermot did for RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

I've seen this mentioned before, but why has Saorview positioned itself this way? With UTV Ireland launching on HD everywhere except Saorview and now TV3 following suit, surely there is something wrong with the Saorview model if this is going to be the future??

What will the point be in having a system with the capacity for HD channels when no one will use them due to prohibitively high costs?

• Advertisement

techdiver wrote: »
    I've seen this mentioned before, but why has Saorview positioned itself this way? With UTV Ireland launching on HD everywhere except Saorview and now TV3 following suit, surely there is something wrong with the Saorview model if this is going to be the future??

What will the point be in having a system with the capacity for HD channels when no one will use them due to prohibitively high costs?

UTV Ireland is in HD on Saorview.

Re: TV3, I'm just guessing, but their statement specifically mentions Sky and UPC so...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Re: TV3, I'm just guessing, but their statement specifically mentions Sky and UPC so...
    UTVI is NOT HD on Saorview.. Dreadful picture.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Not an easy thing to do though.

In his articles he can take as long as he wants to discuss stuff but on air he may only get a min tops so he won't be able to go into it in much detail.

I can see him getting the in game technical analysis slot which isn't usually great, similar to the ones Dean Ryan did for Sky and Mark McDermot did for RTE.

well to be honest i read murray for his analysis, not his opinion.....i leave that to the frannos and tony wards of the world.

I hope it works out for him, as i always enjoy his pieces

UTVI is not on HD on Saorview and I believe reading one of the reasons was cost. I find it staggering that carriage costs on Saorview are so high that stations are launching on 2 different pay tv services in preference to Saorview.

What is the point of Saorview and it's capacity if stations are unwilling to pay the premium for HD?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Mattie's back

giphy.gif

The question is will the BNZ's jar be back too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well they are only broadcasting HD on subscription platforms.
    FFS that is shocking news. I thought the RWC would be available FTA.

ITV it is then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

It is FTA, just not in HD. ITV isn't HD either on Saorview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I personally am looking forward to Matt Cooper's coverage of Cork's world cup campaign this summer

Synode wrote: »

FTA Satellite or Freesat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I think I've heard him on Newstalk on Sundays over the last couple of weeks. Didn't realise who it was until they were wrapping up but nothing stuck out at me saying who's that gob****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Therefore, like I said, the HD is not FTA on non subscription channels. Which considering it won the broadcasting rights for this country is shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Murray Kinsella on TV - I have no idea what he looks/sounds like, but hopefully his analysis will be as good as his printed word. Stringer is a decent pundit on BT IMO, so I'm glad he is part of the team. Mattie in there too - good news. And well done Shane Jennings getting this gig so soon after retirement.

Suddenly I am much less worried about the TV3 coverage than I was.

Why do they think they need Barnes I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Stringer won't have much time to do punditry when he's helping Leinster defend the title during the RWC window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Are there any plans for TV3 to start broadcasting in HD on Sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

nc6000 wrote: »
    Are there any plans for TV3 to start broadcasting in HD on Sky?

Says August in the story.

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »
    Murray Kinsella on TV - I have no idea what he looks/sounds like, but hopefully his analysis will be as good as his printed word. Stringer is a decent pundit on BT IMO, so I'm glad he is part of the team. Mattie in there too - good news. And well done Shane Jennings getting this gig so soon after retirement.

Suddenly I am much less worried about the TV3 coverage than I was.

Why do they think they need Barnes I wonder?

TV3 are expecting the quality of rugby to be astonishing, possibly even sumptuous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

LEIN wrote: »
    Says August in the story.

Thanks. No mention of HD in the one I read.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/tv3-unveil-their-panel-for-this-years-rugby-world-cup-31024399.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Great to see Murray Kinsella as a pundit.

Great Rugby Analyst, and though I've only seen him on TV once before (Setanta's coverage of the Limerick Club 7's) he seemed to take the the screen well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I don't mind Barnes, he's generally knowledgeable when it comes to players and teams which is an improvement on most the RTE lads.

shuffol wrote: »
    I don't mind Barnes, he's generally knowledgeable when it comes to players and teams which is an improvement on most the RTE lads.

He's one of the best pundits around IMO. There's a perception that he's anti-Irish, which is bizarre given how effusive he is in praising Munster and Leinster especially.

No bad thing to have a bit more non-Irish perspective on it either. Has Back done any work before?

Ugh, I'm dreading Matt Cooper though.

• Advertisement

He's one of the best pundits around IMO. There's a perception that he's anti-Irish, which is bizarre given how effusive he is in praising Munster and Leinster especially.

No bad thing to have a bit more non-Irish perspective on it either. Has Back done any work before?

Whaaaaat? The man pretty much creamed himself during Munster matches in the 08 era

TV3 reporter confirming on Twitter that all 48 games will be in HD .. I presume something like the old BBC HD when there will be content from TV3 and 3e on the HD channel.

Maybe Barnes and Cooper might cancel each other out in some sort of newtonian limit on the number of a-holes that can occupy the same space.

Other than that its a decent lineup, although part of me will miss Trevor Brennan's entertaining complete lack of knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Very happy with that line-up. I hope they will be at the Ireland games rather than in studio. I think their football coverage has imrpoved a lot over the last coupe of years so it bodes well for an improvement from their last outing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Saorview HD > UPC HD from what I've seen... UPC's may have improved in the last while, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

That's Stephen Jones you're thinking of. It's not a perception either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

dregin wrote: »
    Saorview HD > UPC HD from what I've seen... UPC's may have improved in the last while, though.

:confused: HD is HD

That's Stephen Jones you're thinking of. It's not a perception either.

I don't think Stephen Jones is ever on TV, but no, I know which is which.

:confused: HD is HD
    Actually no, depends on what bit rate the channels are running at.. you will notice Sky Sports 1 HD (14Mb/s) is among the sharpest HD picture on satellite but any HD channel is about 3,4.5 times better then SD TV. RTÉ2 HD runs at 11.9Mb/s for example while 3e runs at 1.8Mb/s, RTÉ One 2.5Mb/s, TV3 2.8Mb/s (on average)... the difference in quality can be exceptional. 3e is among the worst on the satellite sky operates.

Sorry if that's a bit technical ... main thing is even a poor HD channel is at least 3 times better then a SD channel.

For anyone interested on Saorview RTÉ1 HD runs (on average) at 6.1Mb/s, RTÉ2HD 6.6, TV3 2.1Mb/s and 3e 2.2Mb/s

It seems that TV3HD will only be available through UPC and Sky with relevant HD subs.

So if you rely on Saorview, it's SD for you. If you have freesat or don't have the Sky HD pack, you can always watch on ITV HD.

• Advertisement
Advertisement